[Official] Forum Feedback Thread

Claw

• Code blocks default to HTML highlighting (a very rarely used style on this forum)
  • Editing a code block resets its highlighting style to the default (HTML)
  • Copy pasting a code block in the editor makes it lose parts of its functionality (no + icon for dragging it, editing it shows you no content, no newline after the code block, attempting to edit it throws a new code block up at the top of the post). Some of this is fixed by posting and then editing, but much of it isn't (the second block below is broken if you edit it once)
This is a block with no <highlighting>
This is a block with no <highlighting>
Edited by Crzyrndm

Theme issues:

* Reduce excess whitespace. It's everywhere - between posts, around post content, to the left of posts, in the main forum view. All it does is make scanning the page more awkward and mess up mobile devices.
* Perhaps moved "posted xxx hours/days ago" off to the side to use some space up there, which will shuffle posts together more vertically. Additionally reducing the size of the Quote function area ( or moving that to the side too ) would do the same.
* Condense display fonts to roughly equal sizes so browser zoom keeps them all equivalent.
* Colour scheme with less white - if anyone's one of the people really suffering from the current scheme, please go look up Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome & check if you have it. I'm aware that there are browser addons ( and css editing ) to adjust matters, but any change to the board will mean redoing all of that, every time.

Usability:

* Please make enter give single carriage return ( I'm trying to use single returns right now! ). This may not be how a word processor works, but it is how just about every other editor does.
* Toggle for Wizzywig / visible code editor.
* Toggle off Avatars ( I've done so using an ad blocker, but that would only last until a theme change ).
* Turn off auto-images in signatures, and especially autofollowing youtube links. Perhaps cap the size of signatures. i have disabled signatures as they end up another giant block between post content.
* Flickr compatible BBCode parsing for image blocks. ( edit: actually this still works, at least now it works. You have to actually post to make sure it's in correctly because there's no preview button! the edit box won't auto-parse pasted bbcode chunks ).

Edited by Van Disaster

* Search results - even searching on topic title - are a horrible unformatted mess with huge amounts of space for each result, so digging up the one you want takes forever. The search engine might work better than the old one but the results are unusable, so it's not an improvement ( especially over just using Google or friends, which destroys the point of upgrading the search engine. ). Why no plain list of topics? or a topic and a line of first post?
* Messenger - cramped list of titles - or part of title, unless it's a couple of words it goes out of the box - in a tiny box on the left of a giant unused bit of screen, no option to thread anything. I've used invision boards with much cleaner & easier message systems - one of the better ones expanded the thread down vertically from a full width list of message thread titles - so I don't know why we have that.

Edited by Van Disaster

2 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Would it be possible to receive some regular updates on the status of the forums and  when problems are likely to be addressed 

Communication is my suggestion we need more of it 

The lack of communication is because I've had two weeks of study leave. I'm returning to work now, and there's quite a few things to address. With the holidays coming up I'll most likely have to focus on the most urgent ones, though. The forum migration is still my main focus point :)

1 hour ago, KasperVld said:

The lack of communication is because I've had two weeks of study leave. I'm returning to work now, and there's quite a few things to address. With the holidays coming up I'll most likely have to focus on the most urgent ones, though. The forum migration is still my main focus point :)

Can we just keep migrating onwards? To something that uses BBCode natively? Pretty please? :P

What is the chances we can have a horizontal line button added to the WYSWYG editor? I have tried horizontal line code, but all it does is show the code and not a horizontal line. 

On a side note, thank you for adding the ability to use tables. I meant to say something almost a month ago but was distracted by all the new shiny toys on the forum.

• Make quotes erasable in mobile. Or if it already is, make it more intuitive.
  •  Add way to show when and if the user is online, other than having to look for him in the "Users online" bar. Like the green dot beside the username in vBulletin when user was online.
  • Aaaand the rest has alreafy been said by others.

Video embed button. I currently can find no good way to embed something from, say, youtube. Embed resize options should also be available in the popup window that will no doubt include.

(I'd suggest a WYSIWYG/BBcode toggle button but that horse is already being beaten to death so Kaspy has definitely heard that one)

Suggestion 2: I've discovered the Reports Post popup has full WSG editor. WHY? I can see no legitimate purpose there while it is ripe for trolling as well as screen clutter.

I'd also like to make a minor bug report that the "hold ctrl and right click for more options" mouse popup will not move or go away until the cursor is removed from the editor text area. This can be a moderate inconvenience at times.

EDIT: Wait what? This was two posts that just auto-merged. Evidently Kaspy is listening.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Reading the forums on an iPad, selecting a thread in the Unread Threads stream always takes me to the first page of that thread (instead of the most recent replies). This happens regardless of whether I tap on the thread title or the "x number of replies" bit, requiring a second tap and loading delay to get to the most recent replies.

So, suggestion: make at least one of these default to taking me to the most recent reply.

Edited by Wanderfound

9 hours ago, Wanderfound said:

Reading the forums on an iPad, selecting a thread in the Unread Threads stream always takes me to the first page of that thread (instead of the most recent replies). This happens regardless of whether I tap on the thread title or the "x number of replies" bit, requiring a second tap and loading delay to get to the most recent replies.

So, suggestion: make at least one of these default to taking me to the most recent reply.

Try tapping the little circle or star to the left of the thread title, that will take you to the first unread post. :) 

(Sorry for the non-feedback post)

So far I'm liking the new forum, however the Activity session is severely lacking in relation to what it previously was:

• No quick way to see activities on people/topics you follow. You have to create a feed for it yourself (or edit a default one and leave the title obsolete), and it doesn't show in the main menu (before, there were both links to "all unread content" and "following" right in the main menu on each page)
  • No way to mark a feed as read; you either click through all content, or mark the whole forum as read
  • No link to the latest post, or preferrably, to the earliest unread post. You have to open the topic and click "last page" from there As previous post explained, there is a link, but it's fairly hidden. Could make it more obvious, or the title link default to last page, too?
  • Bloat of 'default' activity streams which can't be deleted: Threads I Follow and People I Follow, for instance. I can edit these to suit my needs, but can't rename them. Update: I cannot actually edit them, any changes are lost when you click "Update Results"

That's from the top of my mind, there could be more but these are my bigest peeves.

like I said, tho, overall I'm satisfied with the new forum. If these are fixable I'll be very happy.

Cheers.

Edited by monstah

4 minutes ago, monstah said:

Further update: in the Activity section, if the post is marked as read, then the circle/star is not a link; therefore, you do have to click through the first page of the topic to get to the latest message.

Click on the time listed for the last post, that will take you to the end.

Aaaaaaaand you're totally right, thanks.

So, it's back to my previous remark: there is a link, but nothing to suggest that it is a link, let alone a link to the newest content. I think it should be more obvious, and nearer to the main link (i.e. the thread title).

edit: much love <3

Edited by monstah

Many of my grief (that editor...) have been already mentioned so I will just add this :

The forum view "sort by" has a nice sort by start date that could be quite useful in the mod section. But that sort does not use the last edit date. So adding a sorting scheme that sort by first post start+edit date would be nice.

1.  No way to cancel a posting.  If you start, then go to another thread, then come back and want to make a new post, it remembers what you did.  This is fine except when you started it by quoting, the quote seems to be impossible to remove

2.  I've tried searching in a thread for a string that I knew was there (ie: "1.0.5" without the quotes), it couldn't find it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.