[Official] Forum Feedback Thread

Claw

In addition to those calling for the ability to reduce the number of posts on a page, I would like to be able to increase them to the point where the threads are not paged at all.

If unpaged is not an option, as many posts as possible.

Edited by John FX
unmerging

On 07/01/2016 at 2:08 PM, smjjames said:

Also, could you guys implement an actual working forum search engine? The one on the old forum may not have been the absolute best, but it worked a heck of a lot better than it does now.

God yeah... but the old forum one was pants too. If I want to search this forum I tend to just search in google because of the stupid limits to the local search engine. At least you can search for three letter acronyms (and words) now. That was one of my big bugbears about the old search engine (god, the number of TLA's in KSP... like for if I wanted to find SAS mods for example... in the old system I would be SOL).

The problem is that search jobs take up a lot of server time... and slows said servers down more than network lag. That's why they try to limit search engines in forums. *sigh*... at least I can find pretty much anything I want on here with Google.

yup, that's the reason i tend to use google too, used "spad" (wich is "n" dimmensionnal correlation statistical math software) for work as an apprentice around 18th so i tend to found google pretty well done regarding the 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metasearch_engine aspect + i m 8000% supporter of google traduc/translat' so xDr how can things go better in this world if we can't communicate regarding each old "frontier" history for thousands years .... c3po hello : ) :3 :3 :3 :3

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Three things have vexed me in rapid succession today:

• A post I made was double-posted. This is buggy behaviour.
  • I couldn't edit the second copy. I often find I can't edit posts I have made, for no readily apparent reason, whether or not I fill in the field saying why it was edited. This strikes me as either being a bug or a very non-obvious thing to be done when editing posts (which I don't know about). In the latter case it should be more obvious.
  • If I type a lower-case b followed by a right bracket, the editor thinks I wanted a B). If I wanted a graphical smiley I would use the smiley selector above. Conversely, if I want to type a list of things like so: a) B) c) d), it is very annoying. Automatic interpolation of graphical smileys should be suppressed IMHO.

15 minutes ago, damerell said:

If I type a lower-case b followed by a right bracket, the editor thinks I wanted a B). If I wanted a graphical smiley I would use the smiley selector above. Conversely, if I want to type a list of things like so: a) B) c) d), it is very annoying. Automatic interpolation of graphical smileys should be suppressed IMHO.

Kasper changed the text for that smiley from "b)" to "&)" based on this feedback.

On 1/11/2016 at 6:39 AM, NeoMorph said:

God yeah... but the old forum one was pants too. If I want to search this forum I tend to just search in google because of the stupid limits to the local search engine. At least you can search for three letter acronyms (and words) now. That was one of my big bugbears about the old search engine (god, the number of TLA's in KSP... like for if I wanted to find SAS mods for example... in the old system I would be SOL).

The problem is that search jobs take up a lot of server time... and slows said servers down more than network lag. That's why they try to limit search engines in forums. *sigh*... at least I can find pretty much anything I want on here with Google.

Can you teach me your google-fu? I'd like to be able to search specifically within a forum section in here, but while I know I can use the site: tag thing, I can't get it to be more specific.

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

Can you teach me your google-fu? I'd like to be able to search specifically within a forum section in here, but while I know I can use the site: tag thing, I can't get it to be more specific.

I just tend to search for things like "kerbalspaceprogram kerbal alarm clock" or "kerbalspaceprogram mechjeb" and it always seems to work for me. The forum search actually finds mechjeb these days though. In the old forum if you tried searching for it you would get page after page of crap that had nothing to do with mechjeb... At least google seems to find the correct forum threads when you quote them... unlike the inbuilt one.

If possible, it would be nice to have an option to ignore a specific user's avatar in addition to the ignore signature, posts, and messages options we already have.

On the whole I like avatars, they're a great help for keeping track of who's who on a forum, so I'd rather not disable them completely (although I haven't found the option for that anyway). But there are invariably a few people whose avatars, for whatever reason, I'd rather not have to look at, and short of ignoring those users completely (which I also don't want to do) there doesn't appear to be a way to do this.

Not a huge deal, but would be appreciated if it's practical.

8 hours ago, Hotaru said:

If possible, it would be nice to have an option to ignore a specific user's avatar in addition to the ignore signature, posts, and messages options we already have.

On the whole I like avatars, they're a great help for keeping track of who's who on a forum, so I'd rather not disable them completely (although I haven't found the option for that anyway). But there are invariably a few people whose avatars, for whatever reason, I'd rather not have to look at, and short of ignoring those users completely (which I also don't want to do) there doesn't appear to be a way to do this.

Not a huge deal, but would be appreciated if it's practical.

1. Get an adblocker

2. Right click on the image and make sure it's selected the image directly,  not the http bit the link, and then block it using the adblocker. 

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/uploads/monthly_01_2016/tintin-av.jpg.e0c184e72215549e24a5f59aab69a6b6.thumb.jpg.057d7de1f4d6298d60208b3abdb325c0.jpg

Its going to be a link like that, as that's yours. Don't blame me if something goes wrong, ok?

Is there any way to sort or order followed content specifically for personal needs?
Filters "content by author", filter by "content I started" or everything is not really something useful.

If such things like personal tags or just anything to sort them is given, I can deal with this evil white thing.

If possible I would like to suggest always adding the time (always) and date (if more than 24 hrs) of a post to the info on when a post was made.

So instead of `Posted Saturday at 2:41 PM`, `Posted 21 hours ago`, or `Posted 13 January`

the posts would then be `Posted Saturday 12 January at 2:41 PM`, `Posted 21 hours ago at 2:41PM`, and `Posted 13 January at 2:41PM`

I have the album Javascript thing too sometimes, I don't really know where it comes from (using Chrome).

And for the quote (and other things, with [xxx] prompts at the beginning and [/xxx] at the end), they come from the fact that the old version of the forum (changed about 2 months ago) used a BBCode editor which wasn't a WYSIWYG like the current one. You then had to use a particular syntax to display quotes, images, albums, etc which does not work with the new forums.

Edited by Gaarst

• 3 weeks later...
On January 19, 2016 at 5:46 PM, bonyetty said:

Please make desktop view available(easily accessible or home page link) for mobile users.

If you go onto desktop and rescale the window to a smaller size, you'll see that there is no actual mobile site.  It just adjusts to the window size.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.