Does anyone know exactly what "Render Quality Level" effects?

I have been wondering this for a while now, and there hasn't been a very specific answer. When I last tried figuring out what this slider does I found this thread which I quote down below.

On 1/6/2014, 8:48:05, vexx32 said:

Render Quality Level: As the name implies, this simply affects a bunch of things at once. Below the middle level (Default, or Normal, I think), shadows may appear very glitchy, if they appear at all. General game detail as a whole goes down as you lower this slider, but speed will also increase.

This is the best definition I can find of what Render Quality does, but it doesn't fully answer. Also it appears to conflict with what Vexx32 says a few lines lower about Shadow Cascades:

On 1/6/2014, 8:48:05, vexx32 said:

Shadow Cascades: This changes the detail level of shadows. Low settings are better for performance, but will take away the smooth edges of shadows, instead showing more obvious regions of gradual lightening towards the edges of shadows. If you've got the three kerbals in orbit on the Main Menu, fiddle with this setting and switch back to the main menu to see the difference. You'll notice it mostly on their faces inside their helmets. You'll also see it on the other main menu screens, but it's a little less easy to spot.

Can someone give a list of exactly what Render Quality does visually inside KSP and anything else pertinent? The wiki also doesn't give a good answer as it directs you towards reading Unity's documentation.

Many thanks and likes to those of you who can answer! :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hi @Avera9eJoe, I'll let the Unity manual explain this, as this is a Unity engine setting (exposed by Squad).

Unity allows you to set the level of graphical quality it will attempt to render. Generally speaking, quality comes at the expense of framerate and so it may be best not to aim for the highest quality on mobile devices or older hardware since it will have a detrimental effect on gameplay. The Quality Settings inspector (menu: Edit > Project Settings > Quality) is used to select the quality level in the editor for the chosen device. It is split into two main areas - at the top, there is the following matrix:

QualSettingsTop.png

Afaik Squad went with the defaults for each level of the quality settings, the settings have the biggest visual effect on the shadows as Vexx mentioned, and don't look to change much other than that, at least I can't see the difference.

4 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi @Avera9eJoe, I'll let the Unity manual explain this, as this is a Unity engine setting (exposed by Squad).

QualSettingsTop.png

Afaik Squad went with the defaults for each level of the quality settings, the settings have the biggest visual effect on the shadows as Vexx mentioned, and don't look to change much other than that, at least I can't see the difference.

Hmm... It's good to know I'm not the only one noticing little to no difference with this slider (other than shadows). I still don't know what else it effects other than shadows though. It says it effects "graphical quality" but what that means I still wish to know. Thanks Sal_vager though. :)

EDIT. Also way to be in the season with your avatar! I think I'll do the same when I get home ;)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.