Did anyone get their spaceship printed at Eucl3d?

Hello my fellow Kerbal Fans,

Happy Friday! :D My name is Christine and I'm the social media lead for Eucl3d! I was wondering if anyone has gotten their spaceship printed? If so, would you mind sharing your photos? And would you mind I posted/shared them on our Twitter? Thank you! :)

Check us out at: https://twitter.com/EUCL3D

Thanks !

Truth be told, I almost completely forgot about this ability. I would love to have a print of my U-boat or Fokker triplane (shameless plugs: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122003-das-boot-u-boat-with-full-interior-new-low-parts-version/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122224-fokker-dri-triplane-the-red-barons-ride/), but I have many desires, and so little money to spend it on, and many things I want/need are more important to me than having a 3D print of a KSP craft to set on my dresser or desk.

Of course, if I wanted to, I could possibly use my school's 3D printers to make myself a really low quality version, but it wouldn't be in color, and would probably break easily, and would not have a lot of detail, and... Yeah, that's not a good idea...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2015 at 0:43 AM, christine_eucl3d said:

Hello my fellow Kerbal Fans,

Happy Friday! :D My name is Christine and I'm the social media lead for Eucl3d! I was wondering if anyone has gotten their spaceship printed? If so, would you mind sharing your photos? And would you mind I posted/shared them on our Twitter? Thank you! :)

Check us out at: https://twitter.com/EUCL3D

Thanks !

Hi,

How does the process deal with struts? Would it be possible to print something like this?:

ToUOJkJ.png

9 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Hi,

How does the process deal with struts? Would it be possible to print something like this?:

ToUOJkJ.png

I would think so, I've seen pretty complicated (and small) 3d printouts, so I assume that part clipping and/or struts shouldn't be a problem, due to the way modeling programs create it (I assume that they make clipping part of the actual object, instead of 2 different objects clipped in blender or whatnot). The struts might be a little fragile though... Just my 2 cents.

Edited by X9Squared

5 hours ago, X9Squared said:

I would think so, I've seen pretty complicated (and small) 3d printouts, so I assume that part clipping and/or struts shouldn't be a problem, due to the way modeling programs create it (I assume that they make clipping part of the actual object, instead of 2 different objects clipped in blender or whatnot). The struts might be a little fragile though... Just my 2 cents.

If I could see an example of printed struts I would print this among a few other things I have. I am just worried it would look crappy.

I have 3 questions about this.

1- How do you manage tweakables? If a cargo bay was open in the craft will the printout have it as such?

2- Why don't you do maximum dimensions by LxWxH volume rather than scaled to the largest dimension?

3- If I send a mothership with it's sub-craft in one file will you accept it?

On 12/12/2015 at 4:34 PM, selfish_meme said:

I am not sure but I think you guys might have issues with our more interesting builds. I always assumed all our clipping would be pretty hard to replicate. More than willing to be proved wrong on that.

Clipping is not an issue for us.  Our software merges all parts into a single object.  The number and complexity of parts does not affect this.  Imagine the ship being "shrinkwrapped", and this 3d silhouette being the printed object.

On 12/26/2015 at 9:37 PM, the.fllying.ace said:

Hello, I've been looking into doing a model of a space shuttle I built, the one question I have is that it uses a mod to build it. I would be elated if I could get it printed by you guys. Would it be possible?

We will do our best to support whatever mods you throw at us, and if there's an issue well let you know.

On 12/27/2015 at 0:35 PM, Majorjim said:

If I could see an example of printed struts I would print this among a few other things I have. I am just worried it would look crappy.

Quite an intricate use of struts!  As cool as a print of that would be, I do worry that the struts would have to be made very thick.  If you check out our guildines, you'll see how we have handled complex struts like that.  

On 12/28/2015 at 5:09 PM, Spartwo said:

I have 3 questions about this.

1- How do you manage tweakables? If a cargo bay was open in the craft will the printout have it as such?

2- Why don't you do maximum dimensions by LxWxH volume rather than scaled to the largest dimension?

3- If I send a mothership with it's sub-craft in one file will you accept it?

1.  We usually keep tweakable parts in their safest (usually closed position) -- cargo bays are not open, as the joint is far too weak to support the actual doors.

2.  Could you rephrase the question?  Our pricing is based on volume -- e.g. all small ships have the same amount of material.  The size of the print is dictated by its shape.  So a long, skinny rocket will be taller than a squat rover.

3.  Send it to [email protected] and we'll take a look.   

Just now, Eucl3D said:

Quite an intricate use of struts!  As cool as a print of that would be, I do worry that the struts would have to be made very thick.  If you check out our guildines, you'll see how we have handled complex struts like that. 

Thank you for the reply. Yes I thought they would be fragile, and I know next to nothing about 3d printing but I imagined a transparent plastic core supporting the legs structure but I have no idea if that is even possible. I will have a look at those guidelines and give it some thought.

MJ

9 hours ago, Eucl3D said:

2.  Could you rephrase the question?  Our pricing is based on volume -- e.g. all small ships have the same amount of material.  The size of the print is dictated by its shape.  So a long, skinny rocket will be taller than a squat rover.

3.  Send it to [email protected] and we'll take a look.   

Thank you very much, I wasn't sure whether it was a single dimension or volume based. That makes choosing that much easier:)

Edited by Spartwo

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.