[WIP][1.1.3] Farlo Planetary Pack

StickyScissors

Hey, i'm not good at introductions... But anyways, this is a small planet pack i have been working on for the past couple of weeks, and i feel like the planets are far enough along now that a development thread would be a good idea...maybe it isn't, but we'll see what happens. Oh, and if anybody is interested in participating in development, hit me up and maybe we can work something out.

Alright, so i've been screwing around with this new editor for 10 minutes and and i cant figure out this new forum systemhow the hell do i embed albums?!, so here is just a boring ol' link to the planet album:   Hey, look at that, i figured out how to embed albums!

Note: as of now, this mod is not designed to work along with OPM, that means that orbits might clash at some point. I haven't written alternate orbital configs to alleviate this, but i plan on it in the near future.

Current Planets:

Farlo - The main planet of the system, Farlo is a teal/blue(whatever) gas giant orbiting mostly beyond Eeloo, other than the occasional dip below Eeloo's apo. Originally "GP-2" from a previous, no-longer-existent pack of mine, Farlo has been recolored from pink to a light teal color because i like teal more than pink. Farlo's size is not permanent, but because i still can't figure out some things, it is going to have to stay the same size as Sarnus (from OPM) for now :/

Elras - Originally "Phal" from OuterPlanetsPlus, Elras is the inner-most moon of Farlo. It really looks like Vall, but i swear to kraken that it isn't.

Claie - Originally "P-1" from the previously mentioned, no-longer-existent plane pack of mine, Claie is the second moon of Farlo. Claie is mostly a brown dirt-ball with green patches made from...i'm not sure what could make that much green splatter, other than Kerbal corpses O_O

Rolk - Originally from KerbolPlanetPack, Rolk is the third moon of Farlo. A big, very mountainous, gray rock.

Kesto - Originally "Halved" from the Porp Gas Giant System, Kesto is the outermost, and smallest, moon of Farlo. With a surface gravity of 0.021G's, small steps are known to create quite the distance between a kerbal and their ship.

Downloads:

SpaceDock: http://spacedock.info/mod/436/Farlo%20Planetary%20Pack

The Farlo Planet Pack, relies on ModuleManager, and Kopernicus 0.5.x or later to function properly, if either of those are missing, this mod will not work.

To Do:

• Biomes
  • PlanetShine support
  • Galactic Neighborhood support (i think sigma's gonna have to do this one)
  • Science definitions
  • E.V.E support
  • Scatterer support
  • More terrain customization.
  • Karbonite/Stock ore support
  • Figure out how the hell to do atmosphere/pressure curves

Credit:

-Vladimir Romanyuk - For creating SpaceEngine, where i admittedly ripped some textures from originally

-KillAshley - For helping me fix mistakes and clear up confusion i had about things.

-Thomas P - For creating the Kopernicus plugin, the basis of planetary mods

-Amarius1 - For allowing me to take over OPM+ for (partial) use in this mod.

-Elowiny - For allowing me to take over KerbolPlanetPack for (partial) use in this mod.

-Lillz - For allowing me to take over the Porp Gas Giant System for (partial) use in this mod

-Vexxus9999 - For allowing me to take over Forgotten Worlds for (partial) use in this mod

-Other people have surrendered their planet stuff to me, but i haven't used them in this mod yet, so they aren't listed.

License:

Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

Edited by StickyScissors

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Farlo's rings are amazing! Are you going to put a moon in there? Also, what are Farlo's orbital properties?

I've got some ideas for a small moon or two in there. If not that, than maybe when Thomas P. can get his custom asteroid thing implemented into Kopernicus, i'll do an asteroid belt of some sort. Here's the orbit for now, likely that it will be made more interesting. and, like i mentioned, possibly compliant with OPM orbits: http://i.imgur.com/TTUGn63.png

5 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Cool but the, "Gas Giant with Moons" thing is getting really old. Terrestrial Planets can be cool too! 

Yeeaah, i know, but i didn't want to let that texture go to waste. However, i do plan on adding planets that are not gas giants. Probably not in this pack though, because not everybody wants to have a big, giant RAM-annihilating pack of planets to explore. If i split it up, people will be able to pick and choose some of the stuff that they want and don't want to some extent

35 minutes ago, StickyScissors said:

I've got some ideas for a small moon or two in there. If not that, than maybe when Thomas P. can get his custom asteroid thing implemented into Kopernicus, i'll do an asteroid belt of some sort. Here's the orbit for now, likely that it will be made more interesting. and, like i mentioned, possibly compliant with OPM orbits: http://i.imgur.com/TTUGn63.png

Yeeaah, i know, but i didn't want to let that texture go to waste. However, i do plan on adding planets that are not gas giants. Probably not in this pack though, because not everybody wants to have a big, giant RAM-annihilating pack of planets to explore. If i split it up, people will be able to pick and choose some of the stuff that they want and don't want to some extent

True.

2 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

Wait, if Farlo is blue, why is its orbit color orange? Also, I have a tip when it comes to putting pictures here on the forums. When you open up the "Insert Picture from URL" option, copy and paste the image URL at the top of the image's tab into the URL section. If you're confused, it's because I'm not the best at explaining certain things.

On 12/13/2015, 2:55:12, ProtoJeb21 said:

Wait, if Farlo is blue, why is its orbit color orange? Also, I have a tip when it comes to putting pictures here on the forums. When you open up the "Insert Picture from URL" option, copy and paste the image URL at the top of the image's tab into the URL section. If you're confused, it's because I'm not the best at explaining certain things.

Hmm, good question. I thought i made it light blue, but i guess it slipped past me or i screwed up a bit, heh..i'll change it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anybody still following this/checking for updates and finding nothing, i assure you this mod isn't dead. 

Recent issues with internet speeds/data caps, being away from home in other countries, school, and the building of a brand new PC have ground me to a halt for the past weeks, but now that i seem to be more settled into things and motivated, i'm gonna start cranking out more stuff for this pack and potential others to come.

Also, forum user Vexxus9999 has graciously allowed to to takeover an old (0.90) planet pack of his, "Forgotten worlds" for use in this pack. I hope the album there is sufficient, because i can't check it right now to see for myself...stupid internet provider

Looks very promising. I like the idea of a water planet, You might want to had a single tiny island somewhere, Just for the fun.

I know it will sound truely unrealistic to most, but I would like to have a planet that is truely habitable. It would be fun to carry a massive number of kerbal to a new home.

1 hour ago, RedParadize said:

Looks very promising. I like the idea of a water planet, You might want to had a single tiny island somewhere, Just for the fun.

I know it will sound truely unrealistic to most, but I would like to have a planet that is truely habitable. It would be fun to carry a massive number of kerbal to a new home.

Yeah, that was one of  my main ideas for Aldis, too. Was thinking of maybe not having many equatorial land spots/very few small ones, so it'd be more of a challenge to actually touch down on land.

As for a habitable/terrestrial planet, i have a texture done for it, and a height map, but they need some tweaking so continents lign up correctly with the height map, and potentially some smoothing so there aren't any sudden cliffs into the ocean. As for positioning, i was thinking of putting it directly on the opposite side of the sun as Kerbin, and potentially naming it Nibrek, but i recall seing someone somewhere else using that same idea, so i didn't go for it. Not a lot of options to work with as to where to put it (realistically, that is) :/

Its true that it would not be likely to have a planet at the opposite orbit, not in the regular system formation theory at least. Thinking about it, it could be a captured planet, with a Highly elliptical orbit that is in the Goldilocks zone most of the time. That would be fun, and more difficult.

On the other side, if you decide to ignore the system formation theory. having the exact oposite orbit would also make it intresting. That would mean that there would be now luch window at all. I would be curious to see what would be the optimum travel time / deltaV in that scenario. Pretty sure MechJeb will not like this, but who care right?

14 hours ago, Ackoli said:

make descriptions for the planets in game

one thing at a time. Claie is still causing warp problems, and pretty much being anywhere near it causes every planet to severely drift out of it's orbit on the map view. Word on the street is that is a long-standing Kopernicus bug. so, I wanna get everything working properly before getting into finer details.

4 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

one thing at a time. Claie is still causing warp problems, and pretty much being anywhere near it causes every planet to severely drift out of it's orbit on the map view. Word on the street is that is a long-standing Kopernicus bug. so, I wanna get everything working properly before getting into finer details.

Making descriptions for all the planets takes around 2 minutes, so it would be extremely easy.  descriptions would make everything nicer, and I am not landing on claie.

8 minutes ago, Ackoli said:

Making descriptions for all the planets takes around 2 minutes, so it would be extremely easy.  descriptions would make everything nicer, and I am not landing on claie.

2 minutes if i had any sort of creative ability and didn't have any other priorities at the moment. It'll take time, i can't do everything for everybody at once.

9 minutes ago, StickyScissors said:

2 minutes if i had any sort of creative ability and didn't have any other priorities at the moment. It'll take time, i can't do everything for everybody at once.

I've made descriptions for this mod:

farlo = a big, blueish planet, farlo was first discovered when that blue spot on the telescope lens could not be wiped off.

elras = a nice little blue planet made out of some sort of ice. it gives good views of the rings, but it is very, very cold

claie = a greenish brown lump. the green is very nice, and would be a nice place to go to.

rolk = a mountainous lump, with some blueish stuff on the mountaintops.

kesto = the smallest object In the kerbol system, this thing is nearly impossible to see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.