RCS improvements

Hi guys, as you know if you would like to play vanilla, designing RCS is a total mess. I was thinking maybe Squad should add something like RCS build add, and/or toggle RCS for a specific maneuver(like translate up, down, right etc.) What do you think? It would be perfect. 

By the way if we already have a mod for toggling rcs ports, please let me know.

Using Caps Lock to turn on fine control will significantly improve the RCS handling on unbalanced craft from what I've been told.  There's some logic in the RCS control that tries to correct for unbalanced RCS when fine controls are turned on.  They added this after I started using RCS Aid, so I can't personally testify to its effectivenes.

Just a "center of RCS thrust" marker would do wonders, though nothing Squad could do (other than incorporate RCS Build Aid into the game) will replace RCS Build Aid for me.

The two things I would like is to be able to toggle off RCS for rotation while leaving it on for translation, and to toggle whether or not the computer uses RCS or if it only gets used when I'm controlling the ship. Fine controls does this at least a bit, but sometimes you want full controls on and to not spew gasses all over the place like the movie version of Mark Watney.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I never have any problems with RCS setup. Just take a quick look at CoM and put the ports on both ends just so it's more or less in the middle. Though a 5-way RCS port and a way to disable yaw/pitch/roll on them would be nice.

13 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

The two things I would like is to be able to toggle off RCS for rotation while leaving it on for translation, and to toggle whether or not the computer uses RCS or if it only gets used when I'm controlling the ship.

^ I second this ^

2 hours ago, Temstar said:

Why not just leave the SAS on while translating with RCS? That way the reaction wheel contract any yaw from RCS and you're left with only translation.

I do leave both on.  The problem is that I want to rotate using SAS and translate using RCS.  When RCS is on, the thrusters fire when I rotate, wasting monopropellant.  What I usually do is leave the SAS on all the time.  The RCS I turn on when I want to translate, and turn off when I want to rotate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.