UHC - 2/a "Pelican"

Hello,

As someone on my YouTube video requested a download link, I though it may be best to upload it to the forums. So here it is, the UHC - 2/a 'Pelican' VTOL/jet-helicopter.

Take-off guide:

Turn on the ASAS.

Don\'t go full throttle in take-off.

Steer against the direction it floats away.

Once it lifts off, decrease throttle to about half way.

Raise gear.

Flight tips:

Don\'t flip it over, especially at low altitude.

If you tilt, you will move sideways, which is handy to align to target or runway.

Joystick advised.

Landing guide:

Align to the landing zone.

Lower gear.

Level the aircraft with the horizon.

Tilt the nose up to slow down, or use the RCS as an airbrake.

once slow enough, decrease throttle, and put the aircraft down carefully.

Use the brakes to stop the aircraft.

Download link:

Dropbox

Alternatively, the file is attached to this forum post.

Cheers,

LongHairedHuman

Great craft. Those directions sound almost exactly like the ArmA II directions for VTOL aircraft. ;P

Have you thought about using the Damned Aerospace VTOL engines for this? You\'d be able to rotate the engines level after takeoff and then land like a normal plane, or rotate them back to land vertically.

Great craft. Those directions sound almost exactly like the ArmA II directions for VTOL aircraft. ;P

Have you thought about using the Damned Aerospace VTOL engines for this? You\'d be able to rotate the engines level after takeoff and then land like a normal plane, or rotate them back to land vertically.

I could mess around with it for a bit, but everything that I release will be stock parts, unless it is really epic.

Good design; after .15 I found, surprisingly, that this is a good alternative to rotatrons but unfortunately lacks in re-balanced after firing missiles, delivering payloads, and such. But it\'s all you can do for stock, which is great!

• 2 weeks later...

Cool VTOL craft for the win! 8)

Particularily hard to fly, especially when the VTOL concept too flying is generally unnatural to normal pilots.

The craft its self, is strong an well built! Managed to land hard a few times, parts fell off but usually I could fly/land it any way! :)

It has a nasty habit of lifting the nose up!

Will more practice, I shall have better luck with your craft!

First VTOL craft, I have been able to fly succesfully. Thank you for your contribution!

Only AC/DC for my videos!

EDIT:

On a side note, I will try to make more videos when my new hardware gets delivered. I\'m not gonna brag, but it contains a i5, GTX670, and a new MOBO.

I am intreaged!

Is it 2500K or 3570K for the i5?

Great potential build, hope it serves you well in the future.

PS: KSP will still make it beg for mercy, with enough parts! :D

That would be a 2500K Sandybridge on an asus p8z68 cooled with a H60 watercooler, so I might add some volts and turn it up to 4,5Ghz.

Ahh that will be a great specification, congradulations!

Got it working yet?

Thanks LongHairedHuman, for your Pelican craft file.

It has inspired my own VTOL designed craft, once I figured, you had the best design (2 Engines, rather then my 4 Engine Fail Craft)!

I present the JUMP-JET (VTOL PROTO) Craft, its still a prototype!

Was slapped together, as a proof of concept craft, an actually found it flown exceptioanlly well.

So as a Thank You, LongHairedHuman. I thought it was only fair I add my craft file + picture too your thread.

Please have fun, any feed back welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.