GNAT - Light Athmo Dropship

Cupcake...

Just now, Cupcake... said:

The crafts in question were built using a mod called editor extensions which lets you surface attach various parts without using a node. By changing the root part it's also possible to change the orientation of symmetrically attached parts. Hope this makes sense! :)

Cupcake...

Thanks, I just finished watching your video on "Winged Things and how to make them." The only thing that might be blocking me from replicating your method of engine/intake placement is the surface attachment, aside from that I was successfully (sort of) able to clone the Gnat functionally as well as the Mindy/Mork flying servicebay lol. However, not being able to do surface attachments for intake/jet I had to creatively 'utiliize' any available nodes and then move and re-angle the engine bits to look right. With that said the orientation of the controls are screwy, the control seat is facing right but the roll and yaw are swapped and wonky.

2 minutes ago, Cupcake... said:

Try using editor extensions, it's one of those mods I really can't do without! If you get really stuck just send me some pictures of your build and I'll try and help you as best I can. :wink:

Cupcake... 

Sure thing. However, I'm one of those that try to do things without any mods, besides Kerbal Engineer. LOL. Well, until something becomes stock I will try not to use it, since it makes it seem like I'd be cheating the limitations. :) That said, Keep up the cool designs. I love all your little ships and the way they play like Russian dolls with their ability to carry/be carried.

Actually I do have a quick question, Im using the Saitek Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Did you have to turn down the sensitivity to make things less twitchy? At the default .80 or so on each axis, I had a hard time with mine doing slight maneuvers, so I turned that down to 0.60 odd. I still found it to be touchy, so I instead now turn down the control surfaces etc from 100% authority to 20-40 depending on type. Seems a tad more reasonable.

Just curious. I know practice is key, but VTOL + various orientations x Over correction = crash.

Edited by Sampak

5 hours ago, Sampak said:

Actually I do have a quick question, Im using the Saitek Extreme 3D pro. Did you have to turn down the sensitivity to make things less twitchy? At the default .80 or so on each axis, I had a hard time with mine doing slight maneuvers, so I turned that down to 0.60 odd. I still found it to be touchy, so I instead now turn down the control surfaces etc from 100% authority to 20-40 depending on type. Seems a tad more reasonable.

Just curious. I know practice is key, but VTOL + various orientations x Over correction = crash.

Yes, messing with the settings like that is perfectly reasonable. Sometimes I even had to re-adjust my sticks after new KSP versions came out.

The Extreme 3D is also a bit notorious for dead-zone inaccuracies. Might have to increase the dead zones too.

20 hours ago, Sampak said:

Actually I do have a quick question, Im using the Saitek Extreme 3D pro. Did you have to turn down the sensitivity to make things less twitchy? At the default .80 or so on each axis, I had a hard time with mine doing slight maneuvers, so I turned that down to 0.60 odd. I still found it to be touchy, so I instead now turn down the control surfaces etc from 100% authority to 20-40 depending on type. Seems a tad more reasonable.

Is that the Logitech Extreme 3D? I don't turn the sensitivity down myself but I guess a lot of it depends on the craft on your piloting. Did you want to attach a pic?

Cupcake...

46 minutes ago, Cupcake... said:

Is that the Logitech Extreme 3D? I don't turn the sensitivity down myself but I guess a lot of it depends on the craft on your piloting. Did you want to attach a pic?

Cupcake...

Haha yes it's  Logitech. Not sure why I thought it was a Saitek. But yes I noticed that sometimes the craft won't respond to certain input until I push a lot more than usual, other times it'll work as slow as needed. I think it might have something to do with the SAS ON, because even with the keyboard, I noticed smaller movements are impossible without mashing down the WASD as needed. WIth the stick, and SAS ON, I pretty much have to 'power' through the stability at times as if the deadzone was way larger that instant. I can't say I have that problem in other games though. Meh. I'll keep the issue in mind and pay attention next go around.

1 hour ago, Sampak said:

Haha yes it's  Logitech. Not sure why I thought it was a Saitek. But yes I noticed that sometimes the craft won't respond to certain input until I push a lot more than usual, other times it'll work as slow as needed. I think it might have something to do with the SAS ON, because even with the keyboard, I noticed smaller movements are impossible without mashing down the WASD as needed. WIth the stick, and SAS ON, I pretty much have to 'power' through the stability at times as if the deadzone was way larger that instant. I can't say I have that problem in other games though. Meh. I'll keep the issue in mind and pay attention next go around.

I'm afraid the Logitech 3D is an absolute dog, it has a dead zone you can drive a truck through and is very unreliable. :( For roughly the same price you can invest in a Thrustmaster T16,000m which uses a hall effect sensor.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

This means there's basically no dead zone to speak of and far less moving parts to go wrong. I've had one for quite a few years now and it's never let me down. :wink:

Cupcake...

8 minutes ago, Cupcake... said:

I'm afraid the Logitech 3D is an absolute dog, it has a dead zone you can drive a truck through and is very unreliable. :( For roughly the same price you can invest in a Thrustmaster T16,000m which uses a hall effect sensor.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

This means there's basically no dead zone to speak of and far less moving parts to go wrong. I've had one for quite a few years now and it's never let me down. :wink:

Cupcake...

That's good to know. I do believe the Logitech was about $50 or so here in the US. I'll look up the TM16000M and keep that in mind for the next spending spree. :wink: Dead zone is def funky I'm finding.

Yes, the ridiculous deadzone is what moves many players away from the 3D stick eventually. After you have tried something else its impossible to go back. I still use its throttle lever in my KSP cockpit though, that thing is smooth and very reliable. Wish they spent a little more on the joystick sensors... could be a great stick.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.