RCS Thruster Blocks not working

I have this upper stage:

tfozQ63.jpg

There are three sets of RCS ports, one set at each end and one set in the middle.  The middle set operate correctly but neither of the end sets work at all.  For the one at the far end, I thought that it was maybe the girder sections that weren't supplying fuel but the rear set is attached to the main fuel tank which is directly connected to the RCS fuel tanks so I no idea what's going on.

Any thoughts.

Mods installed:

000_Toolbar
ConnectedLivingSpace
ContractPacks
CxAerospace
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
HaystackContinued
JSI
KerbalEngineer
KerbalKonstructs
KerbinSide
MechJeb2
ModuleManager.2.6.3.dll
ModuleManager.2.6.6.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
NavyFish
QuickRevert
RoutineMissionManager
ShipManifest
StageRecovery

Edited by StarStryder

Generally, multiple versions of MM should play nice together, but I don't believe in taking unnecessary risks.

If you're using KSP 1.0.5, then neither 2.6.3 nor 2.6.6 are the right version -- you'll want 2.6.13 (keep an eye on the Module Manager thread itself, since it takes a while for mods to start bundling MM updates).  Also, as far as I know, Kerbal Konstructs and KerbinSide don't work in 1.0.5 (I understand that 1.0.5's changes to mesh handling has caused a lot of trouble).

However, neither of these seem likely to cause your issues, and I use most of the rest of the addons that you do (and a whole bunch more besides) without issue.

I might try stacking up a rocket like yours to see what happens.

EDIT: One moooore thing...is anything strange showing up in your log (ouput_log.txt in KSP_Data)?  In particular, "exception"s?  It might not be a bad idea to put up your log on https://gist.github.com/ or some other text-hosting website.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

Are the RCS thrusters 'not working' because you don't see them working or are they not working at all even when you keep pressing the rotation/translation keys?
In both your images you have precise controls active. The little roll/yaw/pitch markers in the bottom left are blue instead of the regular orange (toggle with [Caps Lock]). With precise controls off RCS blocks always fire at max thrust and you clearly see them. With precise controls on they fire very little at first (and you can barely see them) but get stronger over time. With precise controls on they also only fire as hard as they have to, helping you to keep orientation.

Edited by Tex_NL

That's a good point.  StarStryder, the way to test this is to disable the middle thrusters and your reaction wheels (edit: from the menu that shows up when you right-click on the parts in question), and see if you can still rotate.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

5 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

If you're using KSP 1.0.5, then neither 2.6.3 nor 2.6.6 are the right version -- you'll want 2.6.13 (keep an eye on the Module Manager thread itself, since it takes a while for mods to start bundling MM updates).  Also, as far as I know, Kerbal Konstructs and KerbinSide don't work in 1.0.5 (I understand that 1.0.5's changes to mesh handling has caused a lot of trouble).

Thanks for the tip.  I've installed the latest version and removed the old ones.

5 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

EDIT: One moooore thing...is anything strange showing up in your log (ouput_log.txt in KSP_Data)?  In particular, "exception"s?  It might not be a bad idea to put up your log on https://gist.github.com/ or some other text-hosting website.

I don't have an output_log.txt file.

5 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Are the RCS thrusters 'not working' because you don't see them working or are they not working at all even when you keep pressing the rotation/translation keys?
In both your images you have precise controls active. The little roll/yaw/pitch markers in the bottom left are blue instead of the regular orange (toggle with [Caps Lock]). With precise controls off RCS blocks always fire at max thrust and you clearly see them. With precise controls on they fire very little at first (and you can barely see them) but get stronger over time. With precise controls on they also only fire as hard as they have to, helping you to keep orientation.

That's it.  The "bug" toggles on and off with precise mode, and to answer Kerbas_ad_astra's question, yes it does work with the centre ports disabled.

To my mind it's still a bug as outer ports should still visually fire when doing translations, but certainly nothing to get worked up over.  Thanks ladies and gents.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an ancient thread and all that, but I think I just figured this out. You need to extend an antenna to be able to use RCS on a craft with an OKTO as the pilot.

I'm on 1.2.9, and observed that if:

• I was using an OKTO as a pilot, and
  • I did not have a green line to the space center on the Map view (fixed by extending an antenna,

Then:

• RCS controls did not work
  • Fine engine controls did not work, only Z and X to use full/zero throttle
  • SAS would continue to use RCS for stability

Hope this helps!

It's really great to see how forum users will go out of their way to help one another. It's part of what makes my time here more enjoyable.

However, in this case the question was answered over a year ago, and there have been updates in the meantime. Any more posting here would probably confuse people searching with a similar problem.

Thread locked, but kudos to everyone who helped!