hello I've been a player of ksp for a long time and I think it would be good to add a multiplayer. I think these multiplayer features would be the best and serve for ksp:

first off adding friends this is simple we have a online username account that well be used to pull up the players account page and you can add friend or join game which means the player is playing with the other players.

groups this can be made by any player and a group can serve as just for friends or it can serve for a certain amount of players only like 20 multiplayer players and the user wants 10 he can do that you can also just do you and a friend.

this multiplayer wouldn't be a mod it would be built in the game.

I hope you consider making this you'll make me and so many other people happy thank you ksp team.

any other feature the ksp founders would like to add this is unlimited because they made the game.

my opinion I've played a lot of games and I've seen that multiplayer is a lot of fun it can get boring playing a game by yourself this adds a new experience in gameplay there is gonna be dog fights, wars, racing, flying together, operations and so much more this little add will give a huge amount of fun and gameplay and its gonna be so many kingdoms of players are gonna arise and buy the game I know because I have friends and a brother me my friends and my brother we buy games we like that have multiplayer ones that don't we usually look for another one but I really like this game and so does my friends and brother I really think this would help. thank you for your time.

for the gamers of ksp

multiplayer would add so much fun and a huge experience it would be epic and fun think of the gameplay that would be possible wars and big wars, operations you plan, huge fleet of planes flying, and so much more with our imagination's and what we want to do In the game we can do some pretty awesome stuff thank you community for reading.

Actually, for me, the fact that KSP is such a good single player game is one of its great strengths, as multiplayer has never been a big deal for me in any game.

That said,  I do think a good multiplayer system that enables a few friends or much larger groups to do co-op missions, or go to war with each other, or whatever type of play they want can only be a good thing.

It would mean a system where a group of players have the option to create a 'closed' universe so they can do their own thing without being gatecrashed by other players that want to play a different way.  And I would fully expect that this is the type of multiplayer system that Squad will implement. 

Why do people always want to go to war with each other? KSP is a game of building and exploring and learning. It doesn't need any more explosions than the one from failed maneuvers.

On 14.12.2015, 05:59:29, 073198681 said:

When KSP combines with BD armory and multiplayer, it will probably be the best war game on any market. Instantly, servers will get violent, and the whole Kerbol system will be filled with 'xplosions. Largest scale combat ever seen.

I assume this quote is sarcastic, but it shows a good reason why KSP shouldn't have a multiplayer option. (Even so cooperative exploration or space station building would be cool.)

If anyone wants to play war, he/she should go and play a war game. But they shouldn't try and make this nice little peaceful building/learning tool, that KSP is, into something violent.

Edited by egoego

33 minutes ago, egoego said:

I assume this quote is sarcastic

It wasn't.

33 minutes ago, egoego said:

If anyone wants to play war, he/she should go and play a war game. But they shouldn't try and make this nice little peaceful building/learning tool, that KSP is, into something violent.

Yes, I see the monster I have turned into (I did sound a bit evil there). I actually acknowledge the fact that KSP is a peaceful learning tool (for most people), and take back the comment I said previously. It is true, however, that a lot of multiplayer servers will turn very violent just because of the possibility and sheer satisfaction of combat with a creation of your own. Even that, though, can be a source of education when combined with modifications such as Ferram Aerospace Research, as military aircraft have to meet very difficult requirements to meet their needs. That, of course, will never work with stock. Because of stock mechanics and aerodynamics, stock fighter aircraft are merely a matter of "make it fly and shoot." So, war in KSP should not be completely stood against, and, in fact, can be supported in various ways if the advantages of it are thought about (nevermind its uses in NASA). Finally, I expressed my opinion by use of a nice, good, argument. You, on the other hand, should not be to general, flatly rejecting the concept of war in KSP (I also shouldn't have, in my previous stupid comment). The game started out as a peaceful, space-based building game, but it has gradually turned into something more complicated. That is a good, "healthy" (so to speak) change for KSP, and it should not be avoided.

Edited by 073198681

I don't begrudge anyone the way they like to play. A lot of people like military stuff and more power to them. Still, I think the no-weapons ethos behind this game is really important. All the devs have to do is open the game up for multiple players and people can blast each other to bits with mods if they wish. I wouldn't expect to see ladders anytime. I'll also say, though it's not a priority for me (towards the end of the list actually), it would be fun to go in with a few people building bases and stations together. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Any sense of realism in games that require long time frames from movement (naval games, space games, etc) is mutually exclusive with multiplayer unless the game is turn-based. If time doesn't move in lockstep for everyone, it's fundamentally broken for anything more than perhaps a couple people willing to agree on time warp.

Timewarp would indeed be a problem. Only way I could think to manage it is that each player sets a "timewarp OK" variable, and if all players have the variable set YES then it warps time until somebody says 'stop!' Extending this argument, I can't see multiplayer ever really working outside of LKO.

Second problem is grief... all it takes is one or two bad kerbs to lay a wasteland of debris in retrograde 70km orbit over Kerbin's equator. There would have to be a ship called KSS Moderator flying around with super-warp powers able to infract the baddies and restore order.

Yeah, I'll stick with single player I think. There's enough voices in my head to continue to make that really interesting for me.

I think multiplayer would work best with a small number of players, with the timewarp set to the lowest selected level amongst the group.  I can't imagine it working with more than a handful of people playing at once.

So of course it will probably end up being some massive multiplayer thing with ships jumping into and out of existence as timewarp is turned into some chaotic puddle.

Edit:
And I wouldn't like to see the devs get so focused on implementing multiplayer to the detriment of other features.

Edited by razark

58 minutes ago, razark said:

And I wouldn't like to see the devs get so focused on implementing multiplayer to the detriment of other features.

This.  For me (and please bear in mind this is only my personal opinion) multiplayer KSP is singularly unimportant.  I would love to see so many other *what not to suggest* and *official planned features* as well as many hundreds of members suggestions on the forums, useful/beautiful mods built into the game, and stuff that hasn't been thought that turns out to be must have before I ever see multiplayer implemented.

I respect that there is a reasonable demand for Multiplayer and implemented well I think it could be something interesting to have a go with, but maybe my imagination is limited in what I think multiplayer might be able to achieve for the game, when compared to say a large overhaul of the existing planets to make them more interesting, or additional base parts.

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet
Users sounded dirty. Wait, so does member.

As I said above, multiplayer is not really my thing, but those that want it will, and should, be free to play in whatever way they choose.  I don't personally want to be part of a multi hundred player bloodbath but others may (though I could see myself enjoying joining in with my kids to build a Mun base, or getting my 'old ass' kicked by them if we decide to go hostile).  We will always all have the option to join in, or carry on with our single player lives as we do now.

On 12/15/2015, 4:22:24, Willbl3pic said:

For now, you could try the DarkMultiplayer mod. I think it works with 1.0.5.

It is largely broken with 1.0.5. Although planes can still be saved to the server, you can't see other player-controlled airplanes while flying, even if you sync to them.

6 hours ago, egoego said:

Why do people always want to go to war with each other? KSP is a game of building and exploring and learning. It doesn't need any more explosions than the one from failed maneuvers.

I assume this quote is sarcastic, but it shows a good reason why KSP shouldn't have a multiplayer option. (Even so cooperative exploration or space station building would be cool.)

Unlike other war games, you can actually build your vehicles of war in KSP to whatever you want them to be, and you're not limited to just one method of travel. If I really wanted to, I could build a battleship and stick wings on it to make it one of the most terrifying (and silly) vehicles in KSP. Granted, the stock aero, hydro and ground dynamics aren't the most realistic, but having the ability to design vehicles for all of them would be the reason I would chose this game over a game like scraps, which is limited to land-based combat (and also, scraps is way behind in terms of development!). It's also a reason I'm not playing war thunder.

I still believe KSP will need multiplayer if it is to survive in the long term, but yeah, there are a ton of technical hurdles squad's already overworked team would have to jump over. So if you're reading this squad, just keep doing what you're doing now, and get to work on porting KSP to unity 5! :)

Edited by drtricky

7 hours ago, egoego said:

I actually agree with you, but I would also love to fool around with some people on a BAD-T themed server. It's really fun to build newer and better fighters and engage each other in dogfights. I really enjoy flying and shooting. That's why I play IL-2, except you can't use your imagination there and build your own machines. And that's what KSP is really good at.

However, I think exploring the solar system should be in some way rewarding. I also play GTA V, which maybe isn't the least violent game and the best example here, BUT griefing and agression towards others is discouraged by different stats that go down when acting in a harmful way. I very often find myself just roaming around without hurting anybody and think MP in KSP could work in similar way. Players could get orders, badges and other shiny things for succesful landings, setting up colonies with other people, fulfilling contracts and overall cooperation. There should always be a choice, but with better rewards for when playing by the rules and being nice to each other.

Edited by Veeltch

I just don't see how multiplayer would work in this game without ruining it.

What is there to do in multiplayer? Build a station, but then how do you decided who pilots the station? How does building that station benefit anyone? How do we get to that station without time warp in a decent amount of time? 

But what else is there to do together? Well.. nothing except dogfighting because anything on Kerbin can pretty much be done in real time. 

Ksp isn't like survival games, or rts games, or shooters. In survival games you can both work on a base, gather resources, defend that base from ai and other players, and in rts you can play against each other or work towards a common victory condition, and I don't think I need to explain shooters. The point is, since rocket and plane building is very much a one person job, there really is no way to have multiplayer that isn't combat oriented. Which aparently is all some people want anyway, but it doesn't fit ksp very well. 

The only feasible multiplayer I could think of would be the space race me and my friends do. But that would only require integrated tracking of other clients, since we don't actually have to be in the same game. 

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I have said this before, will say it again. Multiplayer is a bad bad idea. Timewarp is one issue, part counts are another. Not everyone is on high end rigs to make darpa jealous, and some rigs have issues with high parts. Mods are another issue.

Like i said here, not only is the above a real problem, but as DrMarlboro stated what value does multiplayer have? How can it be done where part counts wont melt all computers involved or cause glacier halting lag? What about mods and conflicts? You have say a russian style parts pact, i have novapunch, how will that not break one another? Seems the only people who will get any benefit is the small group who do combat....

Personally, the game for me is all about space, not fighting in kerbin atmo. There are a thousand combat games I can do that, and often do - my choice is bf4.

the problem with multiplayer in space is as said above, time warp issues. It would be cool though to launch from a moon while a friend is orbiting waiting to dock up.

having said all that, I'd be very happy with just multiplayer chat. Even irc in game would be amazing. 

On 16.12.2015 klo, tater said:

If time doesn't move in lockstep for everyone, it's fundamentally broken for anything more than perhaps a couple people willing to agree on time warp.

On 16.12.2015 klo, Kuzzter said:

Timewarp would indeed be a problem. Only way I could think to manage it is that each player sets a "timewarp OK" variable, and if all players have the variable set YES then it warps time until somebody says 'stop!' Extending this argument, I can't see multiplayer ever really working outside of LKO.

On 16.12.2015 klo, razark said:

I think multiplayer would work best with a small number of players, with the timewarp set to the lowest selected level amongst the group.  I can't imagine it working with more than a handful of people playing at once.

For what my opinion is worth, I urge everyone to try out DMP if you haven't already. I have used the subspace system for a year and I love it. You can fly to Jool while a friend flies to K2, and still interact later with the push of a button, plus orbital mechanics act as they always do.

If anything can possibly happen that would not in a single-player version due to subspace, I'm entirely uninterested. If you are going to posit "subspace" for multiplayer, then add warp drive, and make subspace a thing.

Edited by tater