The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

51 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Good idea.  I was just concerned it might be hours and not minutes to communicate back and forth (realistically), especially with a Kerbin day being only 6 hours long.

Remember that stray Gravioli particles can screw with your signals... :D

22 hours ago, GDJ said:

Didn't expect you to reprogram KSP for a silly sandworm. That is just too much work for a fan fiction story....no matter how good. ;)

As for Thompberry.....At this point I really don't think he gives a fiddlers-fart about subtlety. He/it wants simple revenge, no matter the methods. He'll hit the targets first, but if innocents get in the way...oh well.

In his mind, the innocent are guilty as well, but they haven't perpetrated yet. Might as well nip things in the bud and save headaches later on. :(

yeah, sandworms are pushing it a bit far.....

As for Thompberry, remember he's also been tempered with the patience of a computer.  I don't think he feels anyone is innocent anymore, but at the same time, he can be patient and wait for the right moment, even if it takes years.... he's half machine... time is now irrelevant.

22 hours ago, Andem said:

Remember that stray Gravioli particles can screw with your signals... :D

:confused:  hehehe

Quick update: I was seriously getting low on funds, so I just played yesterday, no writing, sorry. 
I got caught up on some contracts, did a few rescues and had some fun with satellites..... stuff to build the career back up a bit. 

I have a couple directions I can go for the next few chapters... need to decide how I want to proceed.  And make a couple new ships.

Oh, I also was given a tablet over the weekend, my very first one.  It's an Alcatel one-touch Pixi-7. 
I'm not going to get into whether it's a good one or not, because right now it's my favorite brand: free!  hehehe

My mom got one in some promotional giveaway, and when she went to pick it up it, the guy gave her a second, which she passed onto me. 
No scam, I already have it.  I was in no hurry to go out and buy one, but some company wants to just hand one out to me, then I say awesome!

Now I need to sit down and figure out this thing. One thing I already know I can do is get to this forum, which is great!  Now I can check in when I'm not home, and stuck waiting in a parking lot or something.  Good thing I can't actually play KSP on it, I'd never leave the car!  :D

Actually, the really cool thing is I can write on it, and that lets me jot down notes for this story when I'm not home.  Up until now that has been a problem if I was out and about and had a brain-fart but didn't have access to a pen and paper.

I'm not a big app person, but next thing I need to do is find a really good chess game....  :wink: 

Edited by Just Jim

I only just now read your latest entry, speaking of not getting much done.......:sheepish:

This is really getting seriously awesome!   I haven't read past Children of Dune.....Yet....    I saw the Omeha-77 with Thompberry's new body/residence  and thought "I am Nomad....must sterilize..."   That was way creepier to me when I saw it than it sounds now...

Delicious shivers over the Lovecraftian  atmosphere......

On 2/6/2016 at 7:37 AM, Andem said:
On 2/6/2016 at 7:37 AM, Andem said:

That's my favorite Shakespeare quote... and fits quite nicely into chapter 30.

That's my favorite Shakespeare quote... and fits quite nicely into chapter 30.

I was always partial to "The game's afoot!  Follow your spirit, and upon this charge cry, "God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"  But that's just me......:)

Okay, okay, getting me to a Nunnery......

8 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

I only just now read your latest entry, speaking of not getting much done.......:sheepish:

This is really getting seriously awesome!   I haven't read past Children of Dune.....Yet....    I saw the Omeha-77 with Thompberry's new body/residence  and thought "I am Nomad....must sterilize..."   That was way creepier to me when I saw it than it sounds now...

Delicious shivers over the Lovecraftian  atmosphere......

Actually, there is a lot of Nomad in Thompberry, in a way.  According to the episode, Nomad was a long range probe that crashed and then somehow "merged" with a super powerful alien probe named Tan Ru.  And during the merger, and apparent self repair, their programing gets combined and... confused.

This is how I see Thompberry... not just a Kerbal anymore, he's been "combined" with a semi-sentient computer... which in itself wasn't complete... and the result is different from both the original Thompberry and Omega-77. 

Nomad is a very good analogy for the mess we have here.... :huh:

8 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

I was always partial to "The game's afoot!  Follow your spirit, and upon this charge cry, "God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"  But that's just me......:)

Okay, okay, getting me to a Nunnery......

Sister Crystal???  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, KSK said:

I think you just mis-spelled:

Doom, doom, doooooom.

:)

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Drums in the deep.  We cannot get out.... :D

27 minutes ago, GDJ said:

.....They

are

coming.....

This is so appropriate... lol...  stupid head cold, I feel like I've been stepped on by a cave troll...  :confused:
I did get some stuff done today, and I think I have all the screenshots I need to write up the next chapter tomorrow....
But until then...

Quickly, to the Bridge of Khazad Dum!!!

25 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This is so appropriate... lol...  stupid head cold, I feel like I've been stepped on by a cave troll...  :confused:
I did get some stuff done today, and I think I have all the screenshots I need to write up the next chapter tomorrow....
But until then...

Quickly, to the Bridge of Khazad Dum!!!

What sort of Devilry is this?

It is the Thompberry, a beast of smoke and ash cast down to the netherworld. We have dug too deep in Minmus.

This foe is beyond any of you.

RUN!

Edited by GDJ

OK, screenshots for the next chapter are uploaded, and looking them over I just realized I made a small goof... 

I wasn't paying attention to the fact all the Kerbals have small KASA flags on their arms, even the ones not working for KASA... opps....  :(
So, to save having to redo 2 days worth of screenshots, let's just say in my corner of the multi-verse KASA has cornered the market on space suits, and it's only a brand logo, and not specific to what company someone works for... at least for now, OK?

I'm gonna go make a sandwich and then get to writing.

Chapter 32
More Plans within Plans

A few days after the incident on the KASA launchpad Parka B. Kerman boarded his private jet and headed north to the polar regions. His destination was Ice Station Zebra, established not long after the discovery of the ancient saucer.

TSIuUjC.jpg

6uTROuj.jpg

This small polar outpost was the prototype for the colony bases on the Mun and Minmus, and served a duel function. While it's primary mission was to observe and study the old saucer, it also served as a polar communication relay station, and host to the occasional tourist. But the polar climate was dark and cold, and tourists were few and far between, with one exception. The stations isolated location, and well respected privacy, made it an attractive location for business VIP's to meet in relative secrecy. So it was no huge surprise when Parka B. Kerman's private jet landed on the hillside strip late in the evening, and Parka casually strolled to the base.

M2CicAv.jpg

9GXkoql.jpg

sIlos8h.jpg

After paying his respects to the base commander, and making sure his plane's refueling was seen to, he left to find an old friend, the base engineer, Carlenna Kerman. One he located her, they went outside to look down at the ancient artifact nestled into the hillside.

0O3LKTh.jpg

"So that's it," whispered Parka, "I'll never get over what a ruckus that thing has caused." 

Carlenna just yawned, "Yeah, yeah.... big deal. It just sits there. We can't scan it, can't find an opening. Frankly, Parka, it's getting really boring."

2yPDfLC.jpg

Quietly they stood there, until Parka reached down and pulled a box of chocolates from his pocket and handed it to Carlenna. Carlenna eyed them suspiciously, and then put them into her pocket and asked, "What do you want, Parka?"

Parka smiled, "You don't trust me? Good girl... I taught you well." 

Looking over at her, he continued, "My planes radio has been giving me troubles. All I'm asking is 10 minutes in your communication room... alone."

T91WUXl.jpg

TQNaoN2.jpg

Carlenna hesitated, "Parka, you know that's a restricted area... however..."

"However?" Parka asked.

"However... I'll let you use it on one condition. You have to get me out of this icebox."

Parka grinned, "My dear, is that all? Once I return home I'll make a couple phone calls, and I guarantee you'll be reassigned within the week."

Carlenna reached over and hugged Parka, "Thank you... thank you. Now go do whatever you have to do and get back before anyone notices. Here's the keys."

0I4ixLV.jpg

Meanwhile on Minmus, Bob and Bill Kerman were hard at work bringing the colony station online and doing the last shakedown tests, when suddenly Bob thru his headset down in frustration.

rYdR48o.jpg

"No, no, no... that's not right." Bob groaned, "We're going to have to re-check the wiring in the morning, something is definitely connected wrong.

"How do you figure?" Bill asked.

Bob laughed, "Because I just got a voice signal from Jool.

"Jool?" Bill's eyes went wide, "Seriously?"

"Bob laughed, "Yup, Jool. I heard voices talking on the Jool frequency."

"Ohhhh..." Bill whistled, "Yeah, I have to agree, that isn't right. We can check the wiring in the morning."

And the two astronauts called it a night and settled down while the sun set over Minmus colony.

qEUaXeM.jpg

The next morning, back on Kerbin, Parka B. Kerman made one last stop before returning home, this time on a tiny island in the middle of the eastern sea. He had lied to Carlenna, his radio was working fine, and after leaving the polar base, he had received a strange request from another old friend to meet him here. So once the plane was landed, he settled in and waited until after nightfall.

ssFtugd.jpg

pn7WG3Y.jpg

Sg3edEC.jpg

Once it was fully dark, a spotlight appeared over the water, and Parka knew his friend had arrived.

gOhqQdc.jpg

mPgvqVq.jpg

The ship was sleek and gorgeous, and both feared and beloved across the planet, as was her captain, Kuzzter Kerman, often known as Captain Kuzz... or Sir, to his crew. Once the ship reached shore, Parka left his plane and walked down to meet Captain Kuzz.

nTKBQRa.jpg

gqaREIe.jpg

kuqyt1J.jpg

Shaking hands, the two turned to look at Kuzz's ship, the Kautilus.

"She is a beauty," Parka said," Are you sure about scuttling her?"

Kuzz smiled sadly, "Yes, yes I am. I'm going to miss the old girl"

Kuzzter Kerman was a pirate. Plain and simple. He and his small band would use the Kautilus to sneak aboard unsuspecting ships late at night, pilfer them of their most valuable goods, and disappear before dawn without a trace. But Captain Kuzzter was also an honorable man. He did not steal for profit, or self gain. He stole from the rich...  whom he felt most often deserved it... then passed it onto the less fortunate. His exploits were legendary, and he had many sympathizers, Parka included. But times were changing, and Captain Kuzz knew his sailing days were soon at an end.

5VuDf97.jpg

"I've thought about your request, Captain, and I think we can come to an agreement," Parka began, "You desire a spaceship for you and your modest crew. I can arrange this, but there is a small price I ask in return."

"Name it," Kuzz replied curtly.

Parka looked at his friend, "In good time, my dear Captain, in good time. Once you are in orbit over Kerbin, we'll talk."

Kuzz didn't like the sound of it, but also knew he didn't have much choice. "Done, and done"

8pTLKJc.jpg

Parka smiled, then looked around nervously, "Excellent. Now let's get out of here before we're seen together."

Kuzz smiled, "Don't be concerned, the only ones here are us and the sand crabs."

Laughing, Parka shook hands with Captain Kuzz and turned to leave, "I know... I know. But I can't shake the feeling we're being watched. Just the sand crabs I suppose" 

PFfV09E.jpg

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over.

Go to Chapter 33
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

5 hours ago, insert_name said:

love the names of the villans

Yeah... I had to do a couple shout-outs.  The rest, like Ms. Carlenna, are game generated names.  I love some of the names that pop up either as rescues or as new applicants. 

5 hours ago, GDJ said:

Well done again! :)

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Andem said:

Oh crap-- Thompberry is at Jool... They're gonna get his signal! :0.0:

Not right away... whatever that signal was, Bob and Bill have apparently brushed it off as just a glitch.  It's been nearly 5 years of peace and quiet, they have no reason to be overly suspicious.   :wink:

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Yarrrrrrrr.

Argggg, Matey.  Just wait until you see your new ship...  :sticktongue:

5 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Boulders have eyes. 

And ears... 

4 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I get it, I get it. :)

hehehe, I was hoping someone would.  It's one of my more obscure tributes.  :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

let's just say in my corner of the multi-verse KASA has cornered the market on space suits, and it's only a brand logo, and not specific to what company someone works for... at least for now, OK?

You mean it isn't?  I thought that was the KSP analog of the Nike swoosh :D

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Chapter 31
Plans within Plans

OK, I have a new ambition. When I grow up, I wanna be a villain in somebody else's story.  But not this one, that job's taken :D

12 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

OK, I have a new ambition. When I grow up, I wanna be a villain in somebody else's story.  But not this one, that job's taken :D

"Now, our operation is small, but there is a lot of potential for... aggressive expansion."

:0.0:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.