The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

13 hours ago, Andem said:

That would melt my computer. It runs like a hurt mule whenever I click on KSP :P

I can go to about 200-250 parts before I hit a big lag.... but that may be because I'm playing vanilla.

Fingers crossed, I may have a shot at a new computer in about a month or so....I hope!   :wink:

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I can go to about 200-250 parts before I hit a big lag.... but that may be because I'm playing vanilla.

Fingers crossed, I may have a shot at a new computer in about a month or so....I hope!   :wink:

Ah, My Vanilla save is severely laggy because of my huge Refueling station... and my other save is RSS, So I still haven't gotten into orbit. My final save has been modded to the point where I had to force 64bit using the hack... I hope to be getting a lot more RAM in the near future, which will really help! :D

1 minute ago, Andem said:

Ah, My Vanilla save is severely laggy because of my huge Refueling station... and my other save is RSS, So I still haven't gotten into orbit. My final save has been modded to the point where I had to force 64bit using the hack... I hope to be getting a lot more RAM in the near future, which will really help! :D

That's my problem... I'm running on an older Athlon II X4 640 (3.00GHz) with only 4 gigs of RAM... I'm to the point I'm pushing my poor machine to it's max.
And I'm not even close to what I need to build for the challenge ship.

That's why I'm taking so long writing new chapters.  Blame the machine... lol. 
I desperately need a much faster computer, and soon.

42 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

That's my problem... I'm running on an older Athlon II X4 640 (3.00GHz) with only 4 gigs of RAM... I'm to the point I'm pushing my poor machine to it's max.
And I'm not even close to what I need to build for the challenge ship.

That's why I'm taking so long writing new chapters.  Blame the machine... lol. 
I desperately need a much faster computer, and soon.

I have 4 gigs too, and can run Vanilla almost decently on a new save. SoonTM.

2 hours ago, Andem said:

I have 4 gigs too, and can run Vanilla almost decently on a new save. SoonTM.

I can run KSP decently enough.... except my imagination is bigger than my processor... lol.  :wink:

My worst issue is easily my own ambition.... I want to build bigger. 
I can easily envision 500+ part space stations, except my computer would probably have a stroke.

As far as this story, it's actually screenshots like this that take the longest:

D4bnohR.jpg

do0KnEE.jpg

Too many rovers and parts and stuff in one place... and the more stuff I added, the worse it got.  And when I was finally ready to move my Kerbals into position, they moved soooooo slow it seemed to take forever.
It was really fun, but I pushed the part and spotlight count really hard for what my computer can handle.

I am definitely my own worst enemy in this game...    :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

I can run KSP decently enough.... except my imagination is bigger than my processor... lol.  :wink:

My worst issue is easily my own ambition.... I want to build bigger. 
I can easily envision 500+ part space stations, except my computer would probably have a stroke.

As far as this story, it's actually screenshots like this that take the longest:

D4bnohR.jpg

do0KnEE.jpg

The more stuff I added, the worse it got.  And when I was finally ready to move my Kerbals into position, they moved soooooo slow it seemed to take forever.
It was really fun, but I pushed the part and spotlight count really hard for what my computer can handle.

I am definitely my own worst enemy in this game...    :rolleyes:

Yeah, the EVA models are VERY laggy... I always liked those pics :D

Oh this is so cool..... I spent the day testing the diamondback, trying to figure the best way to launch and land her. 
And I wanted to test how far she could go if I fully refueled her once she was in orbit. 
Long story short:

lxs6svH.jpg

She's out of fuel at this point, but that's fine. As long as she's in orbit, I can bring an orbital refueler to her.... once I have one built...  :rolleyes: 
I'm hoping if she can make it to Duna, then Eve orbit should also be do-able.  I'll try it tomorrow.
Then the biggie, can she make it to Jool?  That would be incredible!

Oh, I'm also working on the next chapter... I just need to know what this ship can do, and not do, first.

Edited by Just Jim

6 hours ago, insert_name said:

wow that SSTO is insane, wonder what its range would be if it could refuel at minimus instead of lko?

Should be another 1000 dV or so. In Minmus orbit you're practically at Kerbin SOI escape velocity already. 

18 hours ago, Just Jim said:

As far as this story, it's actually screenshots like this that take the longest:Too many rovers and parts and stuff in one place... and the more stuff I added, the worse it got.  And when I was finally ready to move my Kerbals into position, they moved soooooo slow it seemed to take forever.

That scene where I had 14 kerbs standing on the pad under a 508 part ship (3 pages) took me 3 days. Worst part was every time it crashed I had to reload all their custom uniforms.

9 hours ago, insert_name said:

wow that SSTO is insane, wonder what its range would be if it could refuel at minimus instead of lko?

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Should be another 1000 dV or so. In Minmus orbit you're practically at Kerbin SOI escape velocity already. 

I should point out, she was at about 500 km over Kerbin when I did this test.  That's how far out she can get before she runs out of fuel.  This is great, because it's not that low to bring in a refueler from Emiko, and gives me a lot of room away.  I could go to Minmus and top off again there, that's easy.  I'll keep it in mind when I try to get one to these to Jool.  I may have to start from Minmus, or even refuel again at Duna...  I'm not sure yet.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

That scene where I had 14 kerbs standing on the pad under a 508 part ship (3 pages) took me 3 days. Worst part was every time it crashed I had to reload all their custom uniforms.

yeah, I feel your pain, brother!!!   :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

Chapter 33
Space Pirates

Soon after the KASA launch pad was repaired, Gene Kerman received a somewhat mysterious message from Parka B. Kerman, requesting a secret meeting on the old island airstrip. So Gene found Jeb and the two of them boarded a Banshee and headed out to the island

2KbiNVS.jpg

NPIJA9i.jpg

OYUdLSh.jpg

But as Jeb was coming in for a landing, he happened to glance out the side of his cockpit, and couldn't believe his eyes.

YutvJTZ.jpg

BsLyETJ.jpg

"It can't be," he whispered to himself as he brought the jet to a stop.

8Dhs0fc.jpg

Once they had stopped, Gene and Jeb were met by a beautiful, cold-eyed woman. "Gentleman, if you will follow me," she said, turning towards one of the abandoned hangers.

c1DbyaA.jpg

2E7sblX.jpg

4cuX4GL.jpg

But as they got close, Gene stopped and stared. There, standing before him, was Parka Kerman, along with Kuzzter Kerman, and his first mate, Geschosskopf, also known as the Director of Shanghaiing. 

dgTYT15.jpg

Startled, Gene asked, "What.... what is the meaning of this?"

"Gene," Parka started, "May I introduce..."

"I know who they are," Gene interrupted, "What I want to know is why?"

"Now Gene, please... hear us out," Parka continued, "Captain Kuzzter has an offer, one which I am endorsing, and I think would benefit all of us."

MB5cxF8.jpg

Captain Kuzz spoke next, "Sir, it is my wish, as well as my mate here, to "retire", so to speak, from our business,"

Gene looked at Parka in disbelief. "...and what? You want me to hire a couple of pirates?"

But instead of answering, Parka turned to a pile of old abandoned parts further in the hanger, and switched on his helmet light.

iB0jvUw.jpg

"Gentlemen, lady... tell me, what do you see?"

Gene spoke first, "A pile of old parts..."

But then Geschosskopf spoke, "I see... let me think.... approximately 5000 credits on the black market"

Kuzz looked surprised and turned to his mate, "Seriously? That much?"

Parka just laughed, "Gene, can you tell me how much junk is currently floating over out heads in orbit?"

Gene scowled, "No..."

Jeb continued, "A lot... to much."

Parka turned to his assistant, "Carlenna, read me those estimates again."

zANBcxs.jpg

Carlenna cleared her throat, "At the present time, we estimate there are 17,942 objects in orbit classified as debris, worth approximately 1,750,000 credits"

Gene looked stunned.... "So much???"

Parka, concluded, "This is our offer. Captain Kuzzter and his first mate wish to make a clean break. But obviously their 'colorful' past makes it impossible for them to just return to normal lives. Instead we are coming to you and requesting asylum off planet... in return for certain, services."

"Services?"

"Salvaging services, to be exact," Kuzz continued. "It seems to me you have a growing problem on your hands, Sir, and I can solve them for you." Gene looked doubtful, but didn't interrupt. "In return for a ship, and refueling services when required, my mate and I will begin to round up this junk and remove it to a safe location. In return, you will keep our true identities and background ... confidential."

Gene scowled, "I don't know about all this..."

But to everyone's surprise, Jeb spoke up, "Deal..."

Gene looked at Jeb, "Deal???

Jeb looked Gene in the eye, winked and said, "Yes, Gene, it's a good deal."

Still unsure, Gene turned back to the pirate, "OK, you have a deal."

8jCPbQd.jpg

UL3phnU.jpg

A hour later, Kuzz and his first mate were picked up by a shuttle bus offshore of the space center. Watching from atop the shuttle, Kuzz remotely guided the Kautilus out to the sea, then with a sigh reached down and pushed a button on his wrist, and watched his beautiful ship self-destruct.

eLAtTz9.jpg

6MQFq2a.jpg

K31GGry.jpg

abVhp5Q.jpg

CnIGOij.jpg

Once the ship was gone, they solemnly boarded the shuttle and headed for the runway.

qjJZF80.jpg

Xlzwlr6.jpg

As they grew nearer, a massive SSTO came into view, and from the cockpit, Parka whistled. "Sweet..."

vCgnQKP.jpg

NfD8fOw.jpg

Now it was Gene's turn to gloat. "The Diamondback, our newest design."

zxlZykv.jpg

Once the strange crew was aboard, Gene turned to Jeb, "I want you to tag along... keep an eye on them."

Parka turned to Carlenna, "You, too, dear. You know what you have to do"

"Yes, sir," was her only reply, and behind Jeb she boarded the diamondback.

In minutes everyone was strapped in, the shuttle moved to a safe position, and the massive vehicle set to go. Up front in the cockpit, Jeb explained to Kerenna what their mission was, and who they had aboard. Kerenna wasn't happy about the situation, but she remained silent as she punched the throttle to full and guided her massive ship down the runway.

Bjl8Vc0.jpg

pJq2dFW.jpg

MMgMtxa.jpg

Y4qE1KV.jpg

Soon the monstrous jet was screaming the air like a hot knife thru butter, and Jeb broke out in a childish grin, "Wow... this is.... amazing!!!!!!"

QmkKBjd.jpg

SrucrnK.jpg

As flames wrapped around the diamondback, Kerenna screamed above the roar, "More power", and slammed the mighty rapier engines to full rocket mode.

xX604Wv.jpg

xwARebS.jpg

And within minutes they were in orbit, the ships radiators glowing red in the night sky, and there they waited for the Emiko Raptor Shuttle.

c2pdxSA.jpg

Aboard the Emiko Raptor Mk-II, Piper Kerman was somewhat bewildered at her new orders. Initially she was to travel to Minmus, pick up Val, Bob and Bill, and transport them to Kerbin Station. But now she was to pick up passengers in Kerbin orbit, head straight to Minmus, and once their await further instructions. And so she headed to Kerbin and the awaiting Diamondback.

BJ9cH04.jpg

OnzFARd.jpg

YhFV8iQ.jpg

Once docked, she saw who it was that was climbing aboard, and just shook her head. "Gene," she whispered to herself, "I hope you know what you are doing." She then undocked and turned the shuttle to Minmus.

gRPqChV.jpg

XThObjT.jpg

Landing went without issue, and soon enough strange the crew was gathered together in the Minmus crew compartment.

mBgUb8q.jpg

C8M5BBL.jpg

wP0x3Bi.jpg

Much to everyone's surprise, Captain Kuzzter turned out to have quite a sense of humor, and soon had everyone laughing hysterically at the tales of his exploits.
 yhE3oDh.jpg

But from the command pod, Val interrupted the merriment, "Bob, Bill, I'm sorry to spoil the fun, but your ghost is back."

Kuzzter looked at Bob, "Ghost?"

"Ghost... yeah. It's a radio glitch we just can't seem to pin down. It appears to be a signal originating from Jool, which we all know is impossible. Right now our best theory is a short in the system somewhere that's crossing the frequencies with some kid's show back on homeworld. At least that's what it sounds like."

Carlenna looked over a Bill, "That's odd... mind if I take a look?"

Bill shrugged, "Sure... maybe you can spot something we're missing."

AB5B8vx.jpg

And so Carlenna climbed out and over to the communication tower and began to poke around.

xua3glW.jpg

After a few minutes she called out, "Oh wait..... wait.... here it is. There's a small piece of dust on the circuit board... Let me see if I can reach it." But as she bent over, she carefully slipped a pair of wire cutters out of her pocket, looked to make sure no-one could see out a window, and carefully snipped a wire.

rR8NfFP.jpg

Instantly the ghost signal stopped, and inside the crew compartment, Bill smiled, "Thank you...."

"No problem," Carlenna answered, quietly slipping the wire cutters back into her pocket, "No problem at all..."
 rQXWTNb.jpg

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over....

Go to Chapter 34
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

13 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

That SSTO fills my heart with joy as much as it fills my eyes with tears of mourning. Requiescat in pace, @Just Jim's computer. If not now, then probably soon.

So far it's recovering OK, and resting quietly... lol.

13 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Space Pirates? Now that is an interesting character to hire! The signal from Jool can't be good... 

I love the article!  I suppose all pirates are space pirates....  :D

13 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

"Surprised" to find @Kuzzter has a sense of humor? If @Geschosskopf is my first mate, I think I couldn't survive without one.

At this point, the crew wasn't sure what to expect, and still aren't. 
The legend of Captain Kuzz, and the real man, are turning out to be something completely different. 

As for first mate Geschosskopf, he is cunning and brilliant, and seems very serious and intimidating... But honestly, not even the Captain knows what's really going on inside him.

As far as Jeb is concerned, these two have turned out to be quite an interesting pair.... and he isn't sure at all what to make of Carlenna... :huh:

12 hours ago, Foxbat said:

A magnificent ship!  Some lucky tourists will travel in style!!!

That's her main purpose.  But I'm also working on a cargo variant.

10 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Don't worry, I've already passed the maximum tab point. :)

tab???

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.