The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

All right... my construction project is finished!!!  WOOHOOOO!!

I've got to do some tidying up and get a couple more screenshots, but definitely new chapter tomorrow.

I just hope I didn't lose all of you by taking so long for this next one.

Again, my apologies... 

Edited by Just Jim

Chapter 34
Emiko Tower

A couple days after transporting Captain Kuzzter and his first-mate to Minmus, Piper Kerman was summoned back to Emiko Station for an assignment she had waited on for so very, very long...... The much anticipated Emiko Station expansion! And this was not just another expansion, this time they would be completely replacing the command tower.

Back on Kerbin, Gene couldn't bring himself to watch another disaster, and quietly hid in his office until the massive delivery system was launched.

zVOYFtl.jpg

aQCkbbM.jpg

XpqHG7S.jpg

As the mighty engines roared to life, the entire space center shook as if gripped by a massive Kerbquake.  And slowly.... so slowly.... the rockets began to lift off.  And a huge cheer rang out thru mission control.
 qNIjPWK.jpg

Higher and higher it climbed, until the powerful boosters ran out of fuel and staged perfectly. 

mDvqRXe.jpg

KORTkPi.jpg

Within minutes the huge vessel was in orbit, and Gene emerged from his office with a silly grin on his face. "Thank the Gods..." he murmured to himself, and headed to mission control.

Once the main rockets were staged, the tower assembly headed to Emiko Station.

Zs3zO1U.jpg

tF3h6kA.jpg

dOxxxZD.jpg

When it was clear the launch was a complete success, a smaller rocket containing the top part of the expansion was also sent to Emiko Station.

axD55mC.jpg

kh9BI8v.jpg

From this point Piper took command and first removed the old tower from Emiko and moved it to a safe distance..

E0hYXdx.jpg

VX19BxL.jpg

Then she maneuvered to the new tower section and undocked it from the delivery rocket.

aMUNRbv.jpg

es7iafM.jpg

Once she had reached a safe distance, she remotely piloted the delivery rocket to the large ring section and docked it into place.

z2tQzLj.jpg

W3FTi4B.jpg

Transferring what little fuel was left in the ring rockets to the larger delivery rocket, she staged them and turned the ring section towards Emiko.

Moy9UNe.jpg

QCjOwbf.jpg

Piloting the massive delivery system was not easy, even for an experienced pilot like Piper, and she joked over the radio it was like trying to fly a wet noodle. But soon she had the new ring section securely attached to Emiko, and sent the delivery rocket out to deep space where Captain Kuzz could eventually retrieve it.

Q7kGYNR.jpg

R234Q3S.jpg

Once she was convinced everything was according to plan, Piper brought in the tower section and docked it into place.

Bk4vmct.jpg

bB6pTfe.jpg

0Vmk6QQ.jpg

When everything was connected, Piper ran the new tower thru a series of tests. Then, convinced the new computer was running smoothly, she radioed Gem and Theo, who were anxiously waiting in the Doodlebug pod, to proceed. When they got the word, they crawled out, strapped into the Doodlebug, and disengaged the entire pod. Because the Doodlebug was such a huge success, a more permanent docking port was included in the new tower design, and the smaller docking pod, once the kid's "fort" was no longer needed. And delighted to be included, the kids were assigned the task of discarding it.

RcKcpSp.jpg

XuWueU4.jpg

jsQso0U.jpg

As the pod floated off into space, Gem turned and admired their new home, then flew the Doodlebug to it's new docking port.

IpkHEm6.jpg

GO0zYMu.jpg

w9o0LxA.jpg

Once the kids were back inside they ran to stake their claim on new quarters, and chose one with a staggeringly beautiful view of Kerbin.

Q15SenY.jpg

64U7Lh0.jpg

Back on the raptor, Piper had one more task. While Gene wasn't terribly opposed to Captain Kuzz salvaging old rocket and booster parts, he just didn't trust the old pirate enough with an advanced control system, and sent orders to Piper to de-orbit the old tower and let it burn up in the Kerbin atmosphere. And so Piper caught up with the old tower, re-docked, and headed to a lower Kerbin orbit.

yg1pB4R.jpg

85dIqZc.jpg

Satisfied at her position, Piper then did a de-orbital burn into the great southern sea, undocked, turned her ship 180 degrees and re-circularized her orbit while the old tower slowly tumbled into the atmosphere.

iGdu4dO.jpg

XSIjOvv.jpg

Once it entered the atmosphere, the tower soon began to overheat, and part after part blew up and fell from the flaming husk before the charred remains finally plunged deep into sea.

TkwcjIF.jpg

LomgKzP.jpg

AY2YFqt.jpg

gHevGVw.jpg

4yyxAxz.jpg

jVcGOq3.jpg

Later that night, Piper returned to Emiko Station and settled into one of the new command copulas. The view from here was amazing, and pulling a cheese snack from her pocket, she settled down for a long, well deserved, nap.

Ls7iYGh.jpg

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over

Go to Chapter 35
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Yarrr, I wants the old tower ye scurrilous space noodle!

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Aye, Cap'n, the scurvy-ridden nerf herders scuttled 'er as a act of barb'rous potlatch, takin' food from the mouths o' 'onest spacers!  Bloody nobs!

Hmmmm... I do believe we'll have to address this "situation" in greater detail in the next chapter....  :wink:

5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Assuming the toroidial design is to create pseudo-gravity, shouldn't the crew cabin's on the "ring" be rotated 90°, so the floor is on the outside of the torus?

Ahhhh, very good observation and attention to detail!  You are quite right, in fact.

It's only your assumption that's incorrect, because I didn't design it to simulate, or give the appearance of having, some form of pseudo-gravity.
I designed it specifically for the view from the windows.  :wink:

Positioned on the "top" of the asteroid, so to speak, there will always be some view, and some windows, facing Kerbin.  I may use that more down the road.

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Positioned on the "top" of the asteroid, so to speak, there will always be some view, and some windows, facing Kerbin.  I may use that more down the road.

Conversely,those with sharp enough eyes can always look in from Kerbin :D

25 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Conversely,those with sharp enough eyes can always look in from Kerbin :D

Hmmmm, now I'm wondering.  I know unfortunately you can't see it in the game.  But if it were real, I'm wondering if you would be able to see it from the planet.  It's aprox. 250 km up, and it's quite large. I'm guessing about 100 meters in diameter, more or less.  And moving at orbital speed.  While I doubt you could make out a disc without a telescope, it still might look like a bright star that would move across the night sky. And now a faintly pinkish-purple slow moving star.

I do believe in my universe, you can.... yes, you can see it..... :D 

Edited by Just Jim

12 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Try Distant Object Enhancement and see what happens.

That's an interesting idea.  I will right after 1.1 comes out.  I'm desperately trying to stay vanilla until then and keeping my fingers crossed this career will survive the upgrade.

21 minutes ago, Commander Zoom said:

If you just want to answer this particular question:

Copy everything to a new directory, add Distant Objects, load it up and see for yourself.  Once curiosity is satisfied, delete the folder.

You're right, I can do that.  I've already downloaded the newest Distant Objects, and I was planning on doing a big backup of my career game today anyway.
Once that's done I'll set it up and see what happens. 

16 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

But would we prefer real life or the universe our Kerbals live in?  For my own part, I don't much like either :)

Hmmm....   I don't mind the real world, except when it messes with my KSP time... lol.
I just had stuff I had to get done.  And the weather today was lousy, which didn't help.

Kerbin seems a peaceful place to live... well, except where us crazy authors mess with things. 
If there is a Kerbal Multi-verse, so to speak, then our layers are somewhat messed up...  :sticktongue:

Edited by Just Jim

42 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmm....   I don't mind the real world, except when it messes with my KSP time... lol.
I just had stuff I had to get done.  And the weather today was lousy, which didn't help.

Kerbin seems a peaceful place to live... well, except where us crazy authors mess with things. 
If there is a Kerbal Multi-verse, so to speak, then our layers are somewhat messed up...  :sticktongue:

Heh, imagine how real life feels when your eight-year old son shatters your laptops screen :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.