The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

1 hour ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Humans, perhaps?

At this point I can confirm it's not humans.

However, since you brought up the subject, I have been toying with the idea of adding a human element to the story.  The Armstrong memorial does set a precedent that humans may have visited the Kerbol system in the past, as well as the saucer beings, krakens, and whoever, or whatever, left the monoliths and other Easter eggs.

But to do it I may have to use a second game, such as one of the Sims series, as well as some Photoshop magic, to get good human screenshots, and this is what's troubling me.  I'm not sure how readers would accept me using a different game.  And on top of that, I'm not sure if it's allowed under the Forum rules or not. This is, after all, a KSP forum, not a Sims forum.

I would be interested in feedback on this.  Would you all be interested in me pursuing something like this further down the road?

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

But to do it I may have to use a second game, such as one of the Sims series, as well as some Photoshop magic, to get good human screenshots, and this is what's troubling me.  I'm not sure how readers would accept me using a different game.  And on top of that, I'm not sure if it's allowed under the Forum rules or not. This is, after all, a KSP forum, not a Sims forum.

I think you should be okay as long as the story is (at least a little) about KSP or Kerbals. But if you're afraid of making foto's of thing outside KSP, note that you don't need pictures to write. In my opinion plain text does it very well too.

30 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

I think you should be okay as long as the story is (at least a little) about KSP or Kerbals. But if you're afraid of making foto's of thing outside KSP, note that you don't need pictures to write. In my opinion plain text does it very well too.

Oh, it would remain totally about the Kerbals, that part is set in stone.  I'm just thinking of maybe trying to explain, in part, how a monument to a human could end up in a Kerbol solar system.  Sort of like I did, and will continue to do, with the saucer Easter eggs.  Maybe a parallel universe, or temporal anomaly, or even a dream or vision, of those rumored strange pink, tan, brown skinned aliens.

2 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

What, I'm a verb now? 

hehehe, apparently  :D

8 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Kuzzter it up and use some POWERPoint!

My version is really old, and I'm not sure I want to change how I'm doing things this far into it.

But having said that, I wish I could do videos now!  Or if this computer can, I hope I figure out how to soon... I would so love to do Emiko Station, the Movie!

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

This is, after all, a KSP forum, not a Sims forum.

I would be interested in feedback on this.  Would you all be interested in me pursuing something like this further down the road?

I think most of us would, if it adds more of your great content to the story. The way I see it, even if you added a bit of screenshots/content from other programs, your story will obviously be centered and based on KSP, as it is currently.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

But having said that, I wish I could do videos now!  Or if this computer can, I hope I figure out how to soon... I would so love to do Emiko Station, the Movie!

Seriously, you should talk to Squad and have them make it into a movie. They must have animation studios, from the promotional clips they've made... You already have the storyline.*

*(and you could get royalties :D)

Edited by Jeb!

Out of the frying pan, and into the inferno...

Chapter 46
:mad:      Eve     :mad:

100 days...

100 days of lonely silence...

100 days without talking to anyone...

100 days inside his tiny capsule, and Harfield Kerman wondered if he would eventually go mad.

VYLqpNF.png

As the days ticked by, and Kerbol grew closer and closer, Harfield was able to finally make out a small shape near Kerbol. His new prison and exile: Eve.

ohQN6OR.png

J85F9fa.png

After several more long, empty days, Harfield was quite startled when Thompberry Kerman's voice suddenly boomed over the cabin speakers. "Stand by<gurgle> for deceleration in three <gurgle> two <gurgle> one..."

mr3g9pi.png

With that Harfield was slammed back into his seat and subjected to almost cruel g-forces before Thompberry finally pulled back on the throttle.

"And welcome <gurgle> to your new home...."

nbg3kIo.png

But when Harfield's vision finally cleared, and he looked down at his panel, he saw the fuel gauge reading empty. "Oh, is this it then?" Harfield called out, "Are you going to just strand me here?"

"Harfield... <bubble> friend... would I go to all that trouble to just leave you like <gurgle> this? Just wait <bubble> and watch"

And after several minutes had passed, Harfield was surprised to see a refueling ship fast approaching.

O0z8Zmw.png

IlnDnJL.png

"A refueler? You sent a refueler all the way out here?"

"No, Harfield <gurgle> I made Gene send three.... "

iIGfUt9.png

ifwlcUj.png

"Three? Who's piloting them?"

"Why <gurgle bubble> I am, of course."

"Of course."

And true to his word, Thompberry soon had Harfield in low orbit over Eve and preparing to de-orbit. He even allowed Harfield a quick EVA to gather data; but then again, where could he go? 

p0KVo9p.png

4MsVcvx.png

voIyhxu.png

Once final preparations were made, Harfield sat back and steeled himself for the decent. There was really nothing he could do but watch and wait, and pray, that the monster Thompberry would get him thru this in one piece.

hoeJPHT.png

IbDkzK1.png

After the final stage had separated, the new prototype heat-shield inflated. Harfield did not like the fact he was being used to test it, but what choice did he have? He was trapped, and could only hope it would work correctly and not turn him into an overcooked kraken snack.

IV8Kf4k.png

nE7hbzA.png

Much to Harfield's relief, the heat-shield worked beautifully, both slowing him down and protecting him from Eve's horrid atmosphere until the parachutes could be safely deployed.

6MC7xjP.png

17Gv522.png

Finally reached a safe altitude, the heat-shield separated and crashed into Eve while Harfield gently descended and landed with barely a whisper.

Pcm5jWx.png

akiBxoB.png

YCkPRrg.png

oqAtE88.png

"Ahhhh, do you see, Harfield?  <gurgle> I told you I could get you here <bubble bubble > safely...."

"Yes, fine, thank you," Harfield replied sarcastically, and crawled from his tiny cabin to survey the surrounding Evescape and check his equipment.

oaaGkBF.png

jiNtdQu.png

Then, as night began to fall, Thompberry came back on Harfield's headset.

cbN2KTn.png

"So lovely, isn't it? <gurgle> So sad Jandolin isn't here to see it."

"Shut up... just shut up!" Harfield screamed, "Don't you dare talk about her again!"

"But Harfield <gurgle> my friend... you shouldn't speak like that <Gurgle> In fact, I have a <gurgle> surprise for you!"

"What?" Harfield shot back furiously.

"Why, a Chariot, that's what <gurgle> How will you explore without a chariot?"

"A Chariot???" Harfield whispered, suddenly quiet, and hopeful for the chance to explore... to do anything but sit here and go mad. "You made Gene send a Char... a Chariot?"

"Yes, just over that small hill <gurgle> is your Chariot.  Tomorrow, when Kerbol rises, you may go fetch it."

And so Harfield spent his first night on Eve, but he got no sleep. Hope, fear, loss.... and especially loneliness, prevented him from relaxing. More than once he started to fall into a deep depression, and several times he went back out to observe his science equipment, just to keep himself busy.

fqWhhAj.png

uN1JuNT.png

0EKzEov.png

Finally, after what seemed a dark purple eternity, Kerbol rose over the eastern hills, and Harfield set out to finds the Chariot promised to him.

F6Y5KNg.png

x0MXxe6.png

Quickly he ran, eager to begin exploring. But as Harfield crested the small hill, his heart sank, and he felt a sick feeling come over him. There before him, was the Chariot, lying in several pieces and smashed beyond all repair!

dEvtYFb.png

cbkRzwR.png

bNXYiEj.png

LKR9rQb.png

LU6AR9R.png

"Awwww..... did we have an <gurgle> accident, Harfield?  How unfortunate.... ahhhhh ahhhhh aha hahahahahahaha"

"Fiend," Harfield called out, "You did this on purpose!"

And not knowing what else to do, Harfield turned and shuffled sadly back to his tiny base, all the while Thompberry laughing insanely into his headset.

D7g3rwl.png

uLg9Onr.png

"Bwwwaahahahahaha.... ahhhaahaha <gurgle> Now, Harfield <gurgle boil> Now feel the full measure of my wrath! Know how it was for me, all those lonely years on Bop. Know how it feels < gurgle gurgle> to be imprisoned.... to be truly alone!!!"

And with one final laugh Thompberry cut off all communications to and from Eve, and left Harfield to suffer alone in silence.

NGeuaMF.png

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over...

Go to Chapter 47
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

55 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

"Bwwwaahahahahaha.... ahhhaahaha <gurgle> Now, Harfield <gurgle boil> Now feel the full measure of my wrath!  Know how it was for me, all those lonely years on Bop.  Know how it feels < gurgle gurgle> to be imprisoned.... to be truly alone!!!"

Reminds me of this, of course... and also of this, of course :D 

5 hours ago, DMSP said:

Wow, cruel! But what did Harfield to him?

Why, Harfield had the audacity to marry Jandolin!  That was unforgivable in Thompberry's mind... or what's left of it...  :confused:

5 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Thompberry, you piece of scrap! Must have lost all his remaining kerbality, not that he ever had much of that.

So many chutes... What was touchdown velocity? 1 m/s?

It's funny, he actually has... or had... a sort of soft side for the twins.  But as for their father, he has no mercy at all!!!

And the landing was about 4 m/s, nice and soft.  But this was an untested landing, and I needed Harfield to survive, so I kinda went on the overkill side with the 'chutes. :wink:

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Reminds me of this, of course... and also of this, of course :D 

:D

Edited by Just Jim

11 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Does that rover have enough parts for Harfield to make an ascent vehicle? I see ISRU equipment, so he's not lacking in fuel...

Good observation.  If it were a moon, then quite possibly, but Eve?  I'm afraid not...   ;.;

Edited by Just Jim

Okay at this point, Thompberry HAS GOT TO DIE.

he is an amazing villain...and if he DOES die, make is spectacular.  hehe

Edit: I'm anxious to use those new inflatable shields myself too.

Edited by Draconiator

1 hour ago, KerbalOmmex said:

If Harfield had used his jetpack while in Eve Orbit he might have been able to EVA to Low Kerbin Orbit with a quarter tank of fuel.

Like this.

yeah right...... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm not sure how Scott pulled this one off.  And he eyeballed it no less!  The man is amazing.
I've tried this before, but I can't make it work

3 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

If Harfield had used his jetpack while in Eve Orbit he might have been able to EVA to Low Kerbin Orbit with a quarter tank of fuel.

In my opinion he would have needed to wait for the window, and in that time would have got caught.

5 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

Like this.

Yeah... If Thompberry didn't have control of the suit's Life Support! DUN DUN DUUNN!!!

2 minutes ago, Andem said:

Yeah... If Thompberry didn't have control of the suit's Life Support! DUN DUN DUUNN!!!

Well, I thought EVA suits have a comms range of only a few km. Plus, he can just switch off his antenna.:wink: *PATENTED ANTI-THOMPBERRY CONTROL METHOD*

On 5/6/2016 at 8:06 AM, Just Jim said:

However, since you brought up the subject, I have been toying with the idea of adding a human element to the story.  The Armstrong memorial does set a precedent that humans may have visited the Kerbol system in the past, as well as the saucer beings, krakens, and whoever, or whatever, left the monoliths and other Easter eggs.

Or maybe the UFO Aliens just left the Armstrong Memorial there as an encouragement to the Kerbals.  After all, if mere humans could reach their own Moon, then Kerbals, with far shorter distances to to go and untroubled by any conservation law, or even the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, should be able to conquer the stars :)

On 5/6/2016 at 1:57 PM, Just Jim said:

LU6AR9R.png

"Awwww..... did we have an <gurgle> accident, Harfield?  How unfortunate.... ahhhhh ahhhhh aha hahahahahahaha"
"Fiend," Harfield called out, "You did this on purpose!"

Surely Harfield can MacGyver something out of this and his lander? 

17 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Or maybe the UFO Aliens just left the Armstrong Memorial there as an encouragement to the Kerbals.  After all, if mere humans could reach their own Moon, then Kerbals, with far shorter distances to to go and untroubled by any conservation law, or even the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, should be able to conquer the stars :)

Surely Harfield can MacGyver something out of this and his lander? 

Not without KAS/KIS, I'm afraid. Unless @Just Jim secretly has them in his game data folder...

10 minutes ago, Andem said:

Not without KAS/KIS, I'm afraid. Unless @Just Jim secretly has them in his game data folder...

There is no known amount of mass in the entire KSP universe that a fallen Kerbal can't lift when standing back up on his feet. Just by butting his head against an obstacle while climbing a ladder, a Kerbal can achieve interplanetary flight. They are quire resourceful creatures and have abilities that us humans would consider superhuman but are just normal for Kerbals.  And surely all Kerbal astronauts received basic Stone Age survival training so Harfield can no doubt make expedient knives out of rock that are sharper than any steel blades that later Kerbals invented.  He can no doubt start fire by mere friction even in Eve's O2-poor atmosphere, He can no doubt make miles of cordage out of all kinds of fibrous stuff he can scavenge from the ships and wreckage around him. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.