The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

11 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Wikipedia is your friend, yes?

OK, old age is catching up to me... lol... I went and looked it up, and now I remember reading about it.

But I'm not sure what you mean.... 

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

I have no words to describe this aside from these.

But, I AM joining the Undertale hype!

*Determination.

Knock 'em dead, darling! But seriously, I'm the one with

Weaklings.... jk everyone is cool. lol dont hurt me.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

OK, old age is catching up to me... lol... I went and looked it up, and now I remember reading about it.

But I'm not sure what you mean.... 

Asides, Determination is a whole, thing, let's say, in Undertale. Each time you save, appearntly, you're filled with determination! However, if you're aving while down the Genocide route (will not explain 4 spoilers), then it goes *Determination.

And let's steer back to Emiko, before I'm filled with

*Determination.

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

12 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Knock 'em dead, darling! But seriously, I'm the one with

Weaklings.... jk everyone is cool. lol dont hurt me.

Asides, Determination is a whole, thing, let's say, in Undertale. Each time you save, appearntly, you're filled with determination! However, if you're aving while down the Genocide route (will not explain 4 spoilers), then it goes *Determination.

And let's steer back to Emiko, before I'm filled with

*Determination.

OK...... I'm still confused.  I must be missing something.

2 hours ago, Commander Zoom said:

It's a catchphrase/in-joke from a popular game which you're not playing or familiar with (and is not KSP).

So, nothing you need to worry about.

Ahhhh, gotcha.  Because I don't play very many other games, stuff like that tends to go over my head.  :rolleyes:

And here comes yet another guy who can't wait for the next chapters! When do u think the next one's gonna by online?

Then one thing I noticed: U used the names of several actual forum users. Did u do that by request or just coz u felt like it?

25 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

And here comes yet another guy who can't wait for the next chapters! When do u think the next one's gonna by online?

Then one thing I noticed: U used the names of several actual forum users. Did u do that by request or just coz u felt like it?

More than anything, they really helped me out when I first started this, so I made them into characters.  And they also have some of the greatest fan-fiction stories of their own, and are constantly raising the bar with their own projects.  Don't misunderstand me, it isn't a competition, but their work constantly challenges me to do my very best.  And I hope they never stop!   :D

The only problem is once things got going, and I started accumulating a bunch more forum friends and followers.... and I love all of you!!!  
But once the ball got rolling, I had to make a decision to stop using member names, because honestly, I just didn't know how too include everyone.

As for the next chapter, I'm hoping tomorrow.  I know y'all are going to like it, but obviously there's a lot going on, and I need to be very careful to make sure I keep everything straight and not contradict myself...  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

More than anything, they really helped me out when I first started this, so I made them into characters.

No good deed goes unpunished.  My namesake seems to be marooned, unwilling to call for help and unable to be rescued until Thompberry can be distracted for at least a month :)

@Just Jim I understand, I've dabbled in writing myself, it takes a lot of work to keep it straight (and good), particularly once things get complex like in a multi-facet epic such as this.

Oh, and congratulations so far, it's been a wild ride so far and I'm itching to see more. I was worried at moments (such as Thompberry's takeover) it might have slipped into an overly dark tone but you recovered, you seem to be managing the balance of serious (and having an antagonist we're all keen to see the end of) and light (the stowaway incident, OK, it hit the parents hard but, very Kerbal). I've been hooked from almost at the outset and now ... all I can say is "the plot thickens (yet again)". Nothing wrong with that, just more to speculate on and tide us over until the next instalment is ready. Also, congratulations on the rather decent rate of releases, keeps this report fresh.

Ok, now for my turn at speculation, subject: the arrival of Emiko Kerman: I think we have seen something akin to this once before, not exactly the same but the rocks being associated with spontaneous transportation of objects, remember chapter 39? Perhaps this is a related phenomenon. My theory: it really is Emiko Kerman, transported here from ... not sure yet, but I think it has something to do with the Kraken she saw (speaking of which, eesh! that thing really is unspeakable to look at, the drawing that is, compliment, you did your job properly with the illustration). Why now? I think there could be some association with the Mun arch incident and whatever intelligence there is hiding behind the rocks.
Not a full explanation by a long shot but that's the best I have so far.

Looking forward to more (questions, answers, adventure, the usual).

Edited by AkuAerospace
Removed "sign off"

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

No good deed goes unpunished.  My namesake seems to be marooned, unwilling to call for help and unable to be rescued until Thompberry can be distracted for at least a month :)

Awwww, shucks...
Actually, I think you're going to really like the next chapter...  :D

1 hour ago, AkuAerospace said:

@Just Jim I understand, I've dabbled in writing myself, it takes a lot of work to keep it straight (and good), particularly once things get complex like in a multi-facet epic such as this.

Oh, and congratulations so far, it's been a wild ride so far and I'm itching to see more. I was worried at moments (such as Thompberry's takeover) it might have slipped into an overly dark tone but you recovered, you seem to be managing the balance of serious (and having an antagonist we're all keen to see the end of) and light (the stowaway incident, OK, it hit the parents hard but, very Kerbal). I've been hooked from almost at the outset and now ... all I can say is "the plot thickens (yet again)". Nothing wrong with that, just more to speculate on and tide us over until the next instalment is ready. Also, congratulations on the rather decent rate of releases, keeps this report fresh.

Ok, now for my turn at speculation, subject: the arrival of Emiko Kerman: I think we have seen something akin to this once before, not exactly the same but the rocks being associated with spontaneous transportation of objects, remember chapter 39? Perhaps this is a related phenomenon. My theory: it really is Emiko Kerman, transported here from ... not sure yet, but I think it has something to do with the Kraken she saw (speaking of which, eesh! that thing really is unspeakable to look at, the drawing that is, compliment, you did your job properly with the illustration). Why now? I think there could be some association with the Mun arch incident and whatever intelligence there is hiding behind the rocks.
Not a full explanation by a long shot but that's the best I have so far.

Looking forward to more (questions, answers, adventure, the usual).

Aku

Thank you!  And I see you're relatively new here, so welcome to the forum.  :D

I'm trying really hard to keep things balanced, and I like adding comical parts when I can so it doesn't get too gloomy. I like sci-fi that has it's scary moments, but also it's funny moments, sort of like a roller coaster ride.  It may make you scream, and laugh, and scream again, but in the end, you know you're going to come out of it fine. And if it was a really good one, you're going to want to ride it again.

Now, as for your speculation about Emiko....

Spoiler

It is very, very well thought out.  So much so I can't really comment further without giving a lot of it away.  Well done!   :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Actually, I think you're going to really like the next chapter...  :D

Haven't disliked one yet.  Quite the opposite.  And I'm not complaining.  You can stay half a step ahead of condign Karma for only so long.  You get tired of running, Karma never tires of chasing.

13 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hmm, somehow I don't think he needs to call for help to begin with.

Spoiler

Considering @Just Jim plays without life support mods, and considering their current orbit, the crew should have enough dV in their suits to reach any ship or station in both Mun and Minmus orbit, and possibly even Emiko station (not sure on this one; what's the dV requirement to escape from a 2500km Kerbin orbit? I can't check right now.)

Edited by Kiwa
grammar

Well, I got pretty much everything sorted out for the next chapter, I think.  But I was given 2 gorgeous new orchids today and I spent the afternoon getting them settled in.  Quick off-topic: I'm no orchid wizard, but I live north of Tampa, FL, and once I learned to hang them right, orchids seem to love it in my backyard under our big camphor tree.  The funny part is I have a dozen now, but I only bought a couple, the rest were given to me by friends that can't get them to cooperate. 

Anyway, it's late, and I'm heading to bed, but I don't see any problem with getting the next chapter posted tomorrow.  :D

Edited by Just Jim

8 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

So I went to re-read chapter 1 & 39 tonight, and I used pretty much al my likes here!:0.0:

Oh wow... thanks!  I am so glad everyone is having fun!  

And posts like this makes my day!   :D

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Well, I got pretty much everything sorted out for the next chapter, I think.  But I was given 2 gorgeous new orchids today and I spent the afternoon getting them settled in.  Quick off-topic: I'm no orchid wizard, but I live north of Tampa, FL, and once I learned to hang them right, orchids seem to love it in my backyard under our big camphor tree.  The funny part is I have a dozen now, but I only bought a couple, the rest were given to me by friends that can't get them to cooperate. 

Sounds like a very nice yard.  I've got a camphor tree next to my house, too.  I enjoy watching the birds get drunk from eating the berries :)

Chapter 51
;.;       Broken     ;.;

After the horrific explosion that tore the Dresperado in half, Captain Kuzz did his best to get the situation under control, and most importantly, calm the twins down. It was obvious the children had never truely faced death before firsthand, and Kuzz did his best to reassure them all was not lost.

jEdhQZi.png

JHlcdGf.png

"Gem, Theo... Please, listen to me, please! I know it's hard, I've lost mates before. But I need you to calm down and focus. We don't know that she's gone. It was impossible to see what was happening down there, and there's a good chance she got out, or was....."

But at that moment and alarm sounded and one of the dashboard panel lights began flashing red. And looking out the starboard window, the crew saw some sort of gas venting from the starboard hatch!

nmN9C14.png

HLzhJiQ.png

Almost instantly, faster than the twins had ever seen him move, first officer Geschosskopf had unbuckled himself, grabbed a spanner, climbed thru the emergency hatch, and was outside inspecting and repairing the leak.

68hWtJ3.png

"How bad is it, Geo?" Kuzz asked, trying to sound calm for the sake of the children.

"It's alright, Cap, the seal is cracked, but fixable, just take a couple minutes."

8ty470n.png

8tmA9rq.png

Y6DXLrP.png

And in under two minutes, the leak was sealed, and the alarm went quiet.

"Geo, my friend" Kuzz said with a smile, "You just earned your pay for the day."

"Captain, with all due respect, you owe me two years back pay already," Geschosskopf chuckled, "Now, as long as I'm out here, I'm going to look around and see if anything still works"

yyJseP0.png

3C7MDAp.png

5Puz4VJ.png

vAGE3sk.png

Once in the cargo bay, Geschosskopf did a quick inspection and frowned, "Captain, the blanket is totally fried. And there's no fixing it, some of the parts are fused and melted."

"So we're wide open?" 

"Well, yes and no, sir. We are open to detection, yes, but since our biggest signal came from the Nerv engine's radiation signature, and they obviouslt didn't survive the blast, there's really very little left of us for anyone to detect."

Kuzz just sighed, "Understood. How are the scanners, any hope?"

"Moving onto them now."

o4Q36Vm.png

ZNSk61A.png

kwfRbp1.png

This time Geschosskopf sounded more positive. "Wiring is damaged, but nothing I can't patch together.... Antenna's look good... Yes sir, I think the scanners are operational. I'm assuming you want me to begin modifying them?"

"Yes... Yes, immediately," Kuzz answered, and with a smile he turned to the twins. "Children... no, no wait.... you're not children anymore. Not in my book. You've been thru too much. From this day forth, you two and I are crew-mates, honest and true."

The twins just sat, speechless, and let the captain continue. "Now, as my crew, I am going to let you in on a very important secret, and I'm holding you to keep this to yourselves. Geo out there... Geo is quite possibly the best tinkerer on all of Kerbin."

"Oh, please..." Geschosskopf grumbled from outside.

"Don't listen to him," Kuzz laughed, "It's true. One of the reasons we were so successful as pirates is years ago Geschosskopf was tinkering around with a scanner much like this one, and discovered they can be adjusted to look for all sorts of things, especially a large, metal boat hull. And not long after that he figured out how to further modify it into our blanket system."

Gem looked confused, "But how does that help us now?"

From outside Geschosskopf answered, "It helps us because I can also set it to.... hold on, I need to reach.... OK, got it. I can set it to do a 360 degree sweep of the immediate area, and try to home in on the metal in Carlenna's suit."

"Ahhhh!" Gem smiled, "And if she's alive..."

"If she's alive, Gem," Kuzz finished for her, "I promise, you can go fetch her yourself if you wish!"

LDBe3RY.png

Captain Kuzz was relieved to see Gem break into a weak smile, but inside he was worried sick about Carlenna. He didn't want to panic the children, but secretly he couldn't imagine anyone surviving such a horrific fire, and he was certain the scanners would find nothing. There was absolutely no way Carlenna Kerman could still be alive.......

Could she???

Jl27d0X.png

vlclWnj.png

VZWUNBI.png

Meanwhile, on Eve, as impossible as it all seemed, Harfield Kerman was now quite convinced Emiko was no madness induced hallucination, but was, in fact, quite real. He had no theory or explanation for what had occurred. But he could no longer deny she was flesh and blood, and quite real and whole.

gIirUPs.png

The final straw had come the night before. Harfield had been giving Emiko another medical exam, and had accidentally tickled her, causing her to jump back with with a yelp. Then to Harfield's utter surprise, Emiko playfully slapped his hand, and grinning, she wiggled her finger at him. "Harfield Ker-man... married."

For a few seconds Harfield just stood there in complete shock, until they both exploded in a fit of laughter. Harfield couldn't remember exactly how long they sat there in complete hysterics, tears running down both their faces. He did remember after a while he had a hard time breathing, and tried to stop. But for the longest time they couldn't look at each other without starting right back up again.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Harfield reached over and took Emiko''s hand and smiled. "Thank you, Emiko. I haven't laughed like that since... well.... a long time. So, Harfield and Emiko.... friends?"

Emiko squeezed his hand and beamed back, "Yes, Harfield and Emiko... friends!"

8numH7M.png

Now that Emiko was talking, Harfield began to realize there was really nothing wrong with her at all. In fact physically he could find nothing wrong with her; she was in fine shape. Amazingly, the problem with her speech appeared to be simply her memory. To the best of his recollection, Emiko Kerman disappeared somewhere near the north pole nearly 40... or was it 50 years ago? And while he couldn't explain where she had been that whole time, or how she had arrived on Eve, Harfield was beginning to suspect that over those years, Emiko had been alone, and had almost totally forgotten how to speak her own language!

Bv9li12.png

But if Emiko was real, then Harfield had a new worry: Thompberry Kerman. What would that monster do if he discovered Harfield was no longer alone on Eve? How would Harfield be able to protect her?

NhG1IZz.png

But high over Duna, something extraordinary was taking place, Thompberry Kerman was weeping!

aMwmUkT.png

After the disappearance of the twins, and Kerenna Kerman's strange comment about "space pirates", Thompberry tortured and abused and tormented Kerenna continuously, trying desperately to force her to explain. But as the days passed, Thompberry only grew more and more frustrated, and Kerenna seemed to become stronger and stronger.

EekHYOo.png

But in the last couple days, Thompberry noticed a change in Kerenna, and at first reveled in what he thought was her breaking point. And so he hit her with everything he could think of. But this time she offered no words of defiance, no rebellious screams. This time she only cried, softly, and to Thompberry's complete shock, amazement..... and disbelief.... Kerenna whispered softly,

"Thompberry..... I'm tired... so tired. Just end this, please. I see now I.... I deserve it.... I brought this on myself."

Stunned, Thompberry did not,... could not... respond.

"Thompberry.... please, just kill me. I can't bear this anymore..... "

Thompberry tried to answer, but he found himself strangely conflicted. This was not how it was supposed to end.

"<Gurgle>... Kerenna...."

"Thompberry, no... listen. I need to say this before I'm gone....... Thompberry Kerman, I am so, so very sorry for what I did to you........please.... forgive meeee....."

As Kerenna slipped into unconsciousness, Thompberry Kerman's mind reeled. She ask for his forgiveness??? How... How could she?? After all he had done to her? How could.... how could anyone be so... so.... so very good???

And he realized in his overwhelming grief and sorrow that he, not Kerenna, was the one that had been broken.

"Noooooooooooooo..............<gurgle gurgle>"

xbD6o6K.png

ibzu8QL.png

Several hours later Kerenna woke up in the crew quarters. She was once again alone, but all life support had been restored.

fPx0asG.png

"Kerenna Kerman, are you..<gurgle, gurgle> are you feeling better?" Thompberry sounded oddly calm, and for once Kerenna didn't hear any menace in his tone.

"Yes, Thompberry, I'm starting to, thank you. But Thompberry, I have to ask, why am I still alive?"

For a long time there was no reply, until Thompberry finally answered in a obviously confused voice, "Kerenna.. <gurgle> Why?"

"Why, what?

"Kerenna... why would you think...<gurgle bubble> I need to forgive you? Why?"

Now kerenna was silent for a monent. "Because, Thompberry, I've come to realize what happened to you is not your fault. You can't be blamed for what happened to you, what you were... turned into. But I can, Thompberry... I am to blame for what happened!"

"I... <gurgle> I'm... I don't .... understand <gurgle> Kerenna"

"Thompberry, think back! I'm the one that discovered your first probe. I'm the one that infiltrated your space center and freed Jandolin and Harfield. And most important, I am the one that turned your saucers against you!"

D3fsCtr.png

"Thompberry, while it was true I meant stop you from harming anyone, I am sincere when I say I never, ever intended for this.... thing... to happen to you; for you to end up like this. I can't imagine how awful it must be for you, not to run or eat or feel or...."

"<gurgle>... or love.... <gurgle>" Thompberry whispered.

"Yes, Thompberry. And I want to help you, if you will let me."

"Help??? <bubble> how?  There is no help for me"

KpDbHyU.png

"Let me take you home. Together we can find the best doctors, try and return you to.... well, you know.... please, let me help? You were once a brilliant scientist, Kerbin still needs your knowledge.... your brilliance. It's not too late... Let's try and find an answer, together... please?"

For the longest time there was no answer, until Kerbol slipped quietly behind Duna, and shadows filled the crew quarters.

"Kerenna... Kerenna Kerman..."

"Yes, Thompberry?"

"Kerenna.... <Gurgle..... I want to accept your offer.... <gurgle> to go home.... <gurgle>  but Kerenna..."

"Yes, Thompberry?"

"Kerenna... you need to know.... need to be warned...... <gurgle, boil>... There is  a... part... of me that...<bubble> ....that still wants to destroy you..... <gurgle.... And Kerenna.... I am being truthful when I tell you.... <gurgle>.... I may not be able to control it."

CjI6o0k.png

"I understand, Thompberry. But Thompberry, If I help you, I want you to do something for me. Please, I need you to promise to stop hurting my friends, please!  I promise I will do everything in my power to help you, just so long as you stop hurting, agreed?"

"Agreed.... <gurgle> Kerenna Kerman.... I will.... try......<bubble bubble>"

OHq4dzx.png

"And Thompberry, one more favor, a small one, please?"

"Yes, Kerenna Kerman?"

"Please, let me talk to my friend Piper on the Mun? It's been so long, and I need.... I need to...."

"I have no.... <gurgle> objections..... channel open."

Back on the Mun, Piper and her crew had just wrapped up their stay at the the great Mun arch, and she was eager to be as far from it as possible.

EvLzbho.png

LUIyc7Q.png

But as she turned the Chariot and began to head south, a long missed voice came over Piper's intercom:

"Piper? Piper Kerman, are you reading? It's Kerenna.... Piper, can you hear me?"

xGizgXx.png

When she heard her friends voice, Piper was completely overwrought, and yanked back on her controls so hard she nearly flipped the great Chariot.

JeOtU2a.png

bvwUZMU.png

PZ5RYW7.png

5xciVOe.png

"Kerenna..... Oh, baby.... is it really you?" Piper sobbed, "I've... we've all been so worried!"

"It's really me, sweety," Kerenna sobbed back after a short delay, and for several minutes the two could do nothing but cry and then laugh, and cry again. And then they sat and talked for what seemed like hours, each catching up to the other's adventures. But as for Thompberry's recent.... transition.... Kerenna remained silent, knowing Piper would not understand, or accept, her decision.

WCkfgl1.png

I2aWQp2.png

For his part, Thompberry was content to sit listen, and didn't interrupt until Kerenna asked Piper where they were heading next.

"The girls and I now heading south to the third monolith," Piper explained, "But Frannie and the Rocklady have never seen that old saucer, and it's not far out of our way, so we're heading there first."

Suddenly Thompberry's voice rang out.

"No! <gurgle.> Piper Kerman... you must not!"

m92Nqrr.png

"What is this?" Piper shouted into her microphone. "Thompberry??? Thompberry Kerman??? Kerenna, what is all this???"

"Yes, Piper Kerman... it is I <gurgle>  and I am telling you... <gurgle gurgle> ... for your own safety, do NOT approach that saucer!

qBbIFc6.png

"Kerenna?" Piper asked, beginning to panic...

"Piper," Kerenna tried to keep her voice from shaking, "Please, I can't explain now, but you have to listen to him. Please, you're my best friend, and I need you to trust me."

"Kerenna, what's going on?" Piper asked, now completely terrified.

"Just trust me... please...." Kerenna pleaded one last time, and then Piper's radio went silent.

mzvXFga.png

High over Duna, Kerenna sat back and wondered if she wasn't making some horrible mistake, then steeled herself and asked, "So, Thompberry, what now?"

wyaTxjS.png

"For now, Kerenna Kerman <gurgle, gurgle> I suggest you get some more sleep..... <bubble>... As tough as you seem <bubble gurgle> you still need to rebuild your strength. <bubble> In the meantime <gurgle> I will begin preparing and refueling the Diamondback <gurgle, gurgle> In 4 days our window to Kerban opens, and  <gurgle> I find I'm anxious to <gurgle> get started..."

tKSWVti.png

True to his word, as Kerenna drifted back off to sleep, Thompberry began powering up the Diamondback. And strangely enough, Thompberry was also wondering if he wasn't making some horrible mistake.

SpRMVVh.png

mvtePfP.png

ws9AmXN.png

LytkAC3.png

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over......

Go to Chapter 52
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.