The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

21 hours ago, Torgo said:

James Cameron, the guy who made Avatar, said it:

But Jim's story thread isn't the place to continue the discussion of outside stories unless we're tying them into how they influence the telling of his story, which my post here is not doing. 

I didn't say Avatar wasn't influenced by them, I said IT BEATS THEM BY MILES!

3 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I didn't say Avatar wasn't influenced by them, I said IT BEATS THEM BY MILES!

I get it... and I'll watch it when I get a chance, but let's not debate it on my thread! 

The moderators give me some leeway, but I still have to keep things more or less on topic, and debating which movie is better than which is a sure fire way to derail things fast.

Edited by Just Jim

I've been really busy the last couple days behind the scenes, and so y'all know what I'm up to, let me re-introduce two of our favorite characters: Gene and Werhner!

1uGseUS.png

Also, does anyone know how to add Werhner's glasses, besides using Photoshop?

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I've been really busy the last couple days behind the scenes, and so y'all know what I'm up to, let me re-introduce two of our favorite characters: Gene and Werhner!

[...]

Also, does anyone know how to add Werhner's glasses, besides using Photoshop?

Maybe talk to the people over at pro props?

There's already a safety glasses prop.

29 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Maybe talk to the people over at pro props?

There's already a safety glasses prop.

Oh wow, there's a lot of stuff in here.  I'll have a look around in a bit, thanks!

39 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Every kirl's krazy 'bout a sharp-dressed kerb :)

Hehehe... actually the trickiest part was figuring out how to add Werhner's moustache and get it to look more or less right. 

Well, looks like I'm not getting finished today. 
Pop up T-storms are forming all over the place, and the power is already flickering.
Just another fun afternoon in the tropics in rainy season...   blehhh...   :P

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Just another fun afternoon in the tropics in rainy season...   blehhh...   :P

I got 2-3/4" of rain in 10 minutes a couple days ago.  Still picking up tree limbs from the wind that came with it.  Fun times that happen every year.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

I got 2-3/4" of rain in 10 minutes a couple days ago.  Still picking up tree limbs from the wind that came with it.  Fun times that happen every year.

Yup, I know you get the exact same thing where you are.  We're right in the middle of the lightning belt.  Storms can form overhead in a matter of minutes, blast out more than a hundred lightning bolts in just a few minutes, dump a few inches of rain, and disappear or drift off just as fast. 
Anyone wanting to pursue a career as a meteorologist seriously needs to spend a summer down here. It's fascinating to watch if you're into weather.

But today ended up not too bad, just annoying, and I got some more screenshots done this evening. 
Hopefully tomorrow will cooperate and I can get this next chapter finished and posted.

Edited by Just Jim

17 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

We're right in the middle of the lightning belt.

Back in about 1988, I spent 3 weeks in Camp Blanding, which is a bit west of Jacksonville.  It's also where most US lightning research happens.  Anyway, while I was aboard that base, 250 people inside its fence got hit by lightning, including 5 of my own troops.  They said that was a world record for most folks hit in the same small area in a given short time.  One bolt took out an entire infantry company of 60 guys all squatting in a clearing for a motivational speech from their colonel.  I wasn't zapped but I did get pelted with bark blown off adjacent pinetrees.  Fortunately, the ground there is so conductive that the bolts come thick and fast, before they can build up much strength.  AFAIK, everybody hit was back on the job the next day after spending the night under observation.  Scores of radios got slagged, however.

Edited by Geschosskopf

45 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Back in about 1988, I spent 3 weeks in Camp Blanding, which is a bit west of Jacksonville.  It's also where most US lightning research happens.  Anyway, while I was aboard that base, 250 people inside its fence got hit by lightning, including 5 of my own troops.  They said that was a world record for most folks hit in the same small area in a given short time.  One bolt took out an entire infantry company of 60 guys all squatting in a clearing for a motivational speech from their colonel.  I wasn't zapped but I did get pelted with bark blown off adjacent pinetrees.  Fortunately, the ground there is so conductive that the bolts come thick and fast, before they can build up much strength.  AFAIK, everybody hit was back on the job the next day after spending the night under observation.  Scores of radios got slagged, however.

Wow.  Lucky no-one got hurt too badly. 
Couple nights ago a palm tree on the street behind us got hit, and it's burned really bad.  I should get a picture tomorrow before they cut it down.

9 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Wow.  Lucky no-one got hurt too badly. 
Couple nights ago a palm tree on the street behind us got hit, and it's burned really bad.  I should get a picture tomorrow before they cut it down.

Same happened with me, except the lightning hit the lightning rod of the building next door. It was in the middle of the night so it woke everyone up. Loud stuff :P 

OK, this is what a bar-b-q palm tree looks like.  This tree corpse got hit a few nights ago, and is in front of the house behind mine.

GMiBmsh.jpg

And then this happened yesterday a couple miles south of here, and definitely looks like a lightning hit:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2016/7/16/firefighters_battlin.html

I know this has been a little off topic, but I just wanted y'all to know what's been slowing me down the last few days... besides playing with texture replacer.  Florida in the winter might be the greatest place to come vacation, but Florida in the summer is a whole different animal, and it's not smart to taunt it...

Edited by Just Jim

17 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yup, I know you get the exact same thing where you are.  We're right in the middle of the lightning belt.  Storms can form overhead in a matter of minutes, blast out more than a hundred lightning bolts in just a few minutes, dump a few inches of rain, and disappear or drift off just as fast.

Sounds like the weather where I live this year.  When it's hot and humid, storms start forming later in the day, and you never know when they will hit.  Had a really severe storm a week or so ago that ripped small branches off of trees, and a few days ago another severe storm drifted by just a few miles north of us, we got the tail end of that one, just rained hard for a few minutes.

3 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Sounds like the weather where I live this year.  When it's hot and humid, storms start forming later in the day, and you never know when they will hit.  Had a really severe storm a week or so ago that ripped small branches off of trees, and a few days ago another severe storm drifted by just a few miles north of us, we got the tail end of that one, just rained hard for a few minutes.

sounds like iowa...

7 hours ago, Andem said:

It's stories like these that make me glad to live in Alabama. Wait, wait, hold on, is that a tornado!?!

Yeah, we get those too... blehhh

5 hours ago, Draconiator said:

1 hour ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

sounds like iowa...

Well, it wasn't too bad today. I got most everything I needed done, and I should be able to get the next chapter posted tomorrow. 

I hope so, it's going to be a fun one.  :D

15 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@Just Jim @Geschosskopf @TheEpicSquared @Andem @Draconiator @Garibaldi2257

Just to keep this AWESOME thread from getting into topic troubles, I have this thread for your weather stuff.

Also, how is Part 58 coming along? I just read Chapter 57 today and I already love this series!

Oh cool, I'll check out your thread later when I get some time.

As for the next chapter, I just finished getting the screenshots, and I'm making lunch.  This afternoon I'll sift thru them (there's a few hundred to go thru), pick out and rename the keepers, Photoshop a half dozen, and get them uploaded. 
So depending on the weather, which looks about 50/50 right now, I should have it posted later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Chapter 58
Homecoming

Nearly 10 days had passed since the cataclysmic Kerb/Munquake, and Maryin Kerman was finally guiding the Starbird within visual range of the unknown Zaltonic wreckage. And what she saw was not good at all.

HYbbsbd.png

25aFBPl.png

"Zaltonic ship, this is Starbird, I have you in sight. Please reply."

Several seconds ticked by, and Maryin was beginning to fear the worst, when suddenly the shattered heap began to slowly rotate it's belly towards the Starbird. And to Maryin's great relief, the lower emergency docking port doors opened, and she knew someone onboard was still alive.

Ck0L8ua.png

OKPOafW.png

0Dow4cz.png

Not knowing just how bad the damage was, Maryin gently nudged her Starbird forward, taking her time to assure sure she didn't do any additional harm. It took all her self control, but she knew if she moved too fast, it could spell disaster for both ships. Gently, less than a meter per second, she creeped her mighty ship towards the wrecked craft, until finally, after what seemed like hours, she heard the satisfying click of the docking ports coming together, and she let out a sigh of relief.

76o3byB.png

Inside the wrecked Dresperado, Captain Kuzz, Geo and the twins also heard the docking ports sealing, and let out a cheer. Finally their ordeal was at an end, and one by one they left their poor Dresperado and crawled into the vast and spacious Starbird. 

dzauSwT.png

Dibz7oV.png

Captain Kuzz took a seat in the empty co-pilot seat while Geo and the twins found their way to the passenger area, and immediately raided a snack bin before strapping themselves in for the flight home. They had been near the end of their own snack rations, and were desperate for anything salty and sweet and snacky.

6ZV4yx5.png

g6Dg6cS.png

"Little Missy, you have no idea how glad I am to see you!" Kuzz laughed as he crawled up and into his seat. "Do you know just who it is just creepy crawled into the back of this pretty ship of yours?"

"No sir, I'm afraid I didn't see them. Should I know you?"

Kuzz let out a mighty laugh, "Hold onto your spacesuit, my dear. You have the honor of rescuing not just myself and my mate, Geo, but also two of the bravest crew I've ever had the privilege to sail with: Gem and Theo Kerman!"

dTluIOa.png

For a few seconds Maryin sat dumbfounded.  The twins?  Could it actually be the twins? 

"Sir," she finally asked, "Sir, you... you're serious?"

"Yes, dear, I am quite serious," Kuzz chuckled, "Go have a look if you don't believe me."

But that was good enough for Maryin, and instead of crawling into the back, she instantly undocked the Starbird, pulled back to a safe distance, closed up the docking port, and punched in a course back to a low Kerbin orbit. Once the course was laid in, Maryin reached for her microphone, and tried to keep her voice calm.

"Mission control, this is Starbird. Repeat, mission control, this is Starbird. I have a priority one message, code... OMG.... Code Gemini... repeat, code Gemini! Packages are alive and well... I am proceeding immediately to 100 kilometer Kerbin orbit, ETA 12 days. Repeat... this is Starbird, I have priority one message..."

UvRzLH1.png

Over the next 12 days Maryin did her best to fill in Kuzz and the crew on recent events, but because of her orders to maintain radio silence, she really didn't know much herself. At first the twins were upset to hear they would be going to Kerbin and not Emiko Station, but Maryin did know enough to reassure them.

"The last I heard, Gene was ordering everyone back to Kerbin for something big. I'm honestly not sure what."

"Wait... even Mom is planetside?" Theo asked incredulously.

"Yes," Maryin laughed, "Even your mother."

"But how?  Did they use duct tape?" Theo laughed.

"Oh, maybe they gave her a bag of Minmus cheese snacks? Remember what happened last time?" Gem countered.

"Ahhahaha," Theo laughed, "She ate so many, she slept for two days!"

From behind them Geschosskopf chuckled, "I know a recipe for a sleeping potion that'll put you under for at least that long."

cMnMjGh.png

"Then it's settled," Kuzz called out from up front, "Jandolin was given a big bag of Minmus cheese snacks with some of Geo's sleepy potion sprinkled on top, and then duct taped to her seat!" 

From the back, the twins roared with laughter.

0F8ZSII.png

Down on Kerbin, Piper and the Rocklady raced to the runway and waiting Diamondback. Although she wasn't the Diamondback's standard pilot, when Piper heard the twins were coming home, she insisted on taking the SSTO up herself to meet them. And everyone in KASA knew when Piper insisted on something, it was best not to question her.

MTL0Eje.png

0p6LXxr.png

HifoqpQ.png

uZhy3hg.png

Once they were orbit, Piper and the Rocklady sat back and waited for the Starbird to intercept them. After the events on the Mun, it felt nice to sit back and relax and enjoy the incredible view of Kerbin. But it wasn't long before Piper spotted a small object in the distance, and heard Maryin's voice over the speakers.

"Diamondback, this is Starbird, I am making my final approach."

"Roger, Starbird," Piper answered, reaching down and switching open the docking port shields. "You are clear for docking."

"Roger, Diamondback. ETA in 20 seconds."

YJsUER4.png

PffnJ6P.png

As soon as everyone was secure, Maryin bid Piper farewell and slowly backed the Starbird away from the Diamondback while Piper turned and plotted a course back home. Re-entry went perfectly, and everyone in back was so excited, they barely noticed the landing until after the Diamondback had rolled to a stop at the end of the KSC runway.

pe943m1.png

J3my3vJ.jpg

UZVnrfb.png

zaevyEv.png

Once the Diamondback was taxied back behind the hanger, a ladder transport rolled to to meet the departing passengers. But before they climbed inside, Theo looked up and nudged his sister.

"Sis, look up."

ggFj3s4.png

BgRuo84.png

Gem beamed at her brother. "We did it, Theo, we're home!"

sn5QNnM.png

When everyone was settled in, the transport headed off to the personnel building.  But as they passed by the VAB, Kuzz called out from the back. "I thought the vehicle building burned down!"

"It did," Piper answered from behind him, "But several different corporations stepped up right afterwards to help rebuild it, including Steadler, believe it or not! Construction inside isn't finished yet, but the exterior was completed three days ago."

JUniALD.png

GXtj4xB.png

hz9WlBb.png

As the transport drew near to the entrance of the personnel building, Kuzz looked out his window and saw a group gathered outside to meet them. But something was definitely out of place...

O06fdI6.png

LMLDW2w.png

And when they crawled outside, Kuzz and Geo couldn't believe their eyes!

nQ7s5g5.png

"Geo..." Kuzz asked softly, "Are you seeing... colors?"

"Yeah, boss, I think so."

"OK... thought I might have a touch of space madness for a second...."

KzAJlMl.png

For a moment the group stood at attention, but then the crowd began to cheer and laugh, and Kuzz smiled. "Well, this sure enough is the strangest welcome... might as well enjoy it!"

P7h2tqb.png

eyQcv1W.png

Then the twins emerged, and the cheering turned into a roar! From every window came hoots and cheers and screams and squeals, and the twins could do nothing but stand there dumfounded.

JDoVnoR.png

qXANtRC.png

Then Theo spotted a familiar and much missed face, and he let out a gasp. "Mom... mother?  Is that... you?  Your hair.... Mother, you're blue!!!"

Xn95Snh.png

Gem and Theo climbed down as fast as they could while the weeping Jandolin ran to her children, and for several minutes they just stood and cried and hugged, while the crowd looked on, and several others got caught in the moment and began to cry as well.

GijLuOW.png

7SXjC2d.png

Then Gem looked around with a worried frown, "But where's my Daddy?"

IRyBk7r.png

From the back of the crowd a familiar voice rang out, "Over here, sweetheart." And Harfield Kerman, also dressed in blue, walked over to join his children, followed by a strange woman the twins hadn't met before, but seemed somehow familiar to them.

xTHxID6.png

wdSXxmI.png

B1EWO2f.png

j4OkUz0.png

Then Gene Kerman stepped forward, accompanied by Werhner von Kerman, and smiled at Captain Kuzzter and Geo. "You, sirs, are both heroes!  Our debt to you can never be repaid."

And the crowd cheered again.

V5n4Jsv.png

tBnfYeG.png

RhrT0Pe.png

For almost an hour they stood and talked and laughed and cried and cheered, until the sun began to set over the western hills, and finally Gene called out loudly.

"OK everyone, how about we all go inside and turn this into a real party!"

But before they all got inside, Jandolin grabbed Gem's arm and pulled her off to the side. "Gem, sweetie, you have to meet Walter's new assistant., Stardust. She's the one who did my hair. You'll love her!"

To her amazement, Gem found herself facing the most amazing girl. Her hair was bright blond, and her smile seemed to wrap completely around her face! "Gem... Oh, my dear, this is such a pleasure! And aren't you the cutest, just like your mother! Oh, you have to let me do your hair, too... please???"

9ZkLu5h.png

While this was going on, Theo stood along side his dad and smiled. "I really, really missed you, dad."

"I missed you too, Theo. And Theo... your mother and I are very, very proud of both you and your sister."

"Thank you, dad."

4XMLsWT.png

For a few seconds they just stood there and listened to the crowd as it slowly meandered inside. Then Theo looked over to his father. "Dad, can I ask you a question"

"Why, certainly, son. You can ask me anything."

"OK, how do I put this???" Theo paused a second. "Dad... What's with the big green glowing rock on that building over there?"

oU8pjWR.png

Harfield smiled before answering. "That, Theo, is a Magic Boulder."

And from behind them Theo heard a whimsical, almost musical voice, and he somehow knew without looking it must be the mysterious woman that was following his father around. "Green rock is Emiko's Magic Boulder."

Harfield smiled. "Theo, may I have the honor of introducing Emiko Kerman. Emiko, this is my son Theo."

Long into the night the party raged, as word soon spread throughout Kerbin that the twins where home safe and sound, and parties began to spread across the planet. It was the biggest celebration since Jandolin and Harfields wedding all those years ago... perhaps even bigger.

As midnight approached, Jandolin, Harfield and the twins stepped outside for some fresh air and a chance to be alone as a family.

k6I64I9.png

E3XCzbR.png

"You two have grown so much!" Jandolin beamed. "We are so proud, so very proud!"

"Thank you, mommy," Gem giggled. "We missed you both so much!"

"But mom," Theo began, "Mom, something really, really bad happened out there."

"Shhhh, I know," Jandolin began, but was cut off by Gene's voice ringing out behind them.

"Ahh, so there's my guests of honor!" 

nkWiH1M.png

V37CYkT.png

"May we join you?" Gene asked, walking up to join the small group, along with Werhner, Kuzz and Geo. "I have something you all should hear."

As they gathered into circle, Gene looked over and smiled.

"Where's Emiko?" Harfield asked. "She's not with you?"

"No, she's inside," Gene smiled, "Trying to teach Walt some dance called the macaroni... I think? I have to admit, Harfield, I'm not sure what she's saying half the time."

"Nor am I," Harfield shook his head, "Nor am I. But I'm convinced she means well."

Gene turned to Kuzzter and smiled broadly. "Now, Captain Kuzzter, I have to say again, what you have done goes far above and beyond anything we had agreed on. And as a token of our gratitude, with Walt's masterful help, we have managed to call in some favors and pull some strings."

Kuzzter looked a little bewildered, "And???"

"And, my friend, I am happy to say, your time of hiding is over. You and Geo are now and forever fully pardoned for any and all past.... disagreements... And I would like to formally request... formally ask... that you both join us here. Please."

BQSyLxV.png

Kuzz stood speechless for several seconds. "This is... unexpected. Pardoned?"

"Fully," Gene smiled.

"Alright, I accept," Kuzz turned to his first mate. "Geo?"

The normally grim Geschosskopf smiled, "I suppose someone has to keep you out of trouble... sir."

"Then it's agreed," Gene began, but was cut off.

"On one condition," Kuzzter interrupted, turning towards Gene. "We lost someone out there, sir. A good shipmate, and a brave lass she was."

"Carlenna," Gem choked, trying to hold back her tears.

lvjRXEL.png

Kuzz was silent for a moment out of respect. "Geo and I will join up. But if we do, then I respectfully ask our first mission be a search and rescue."

Gene didn't hesitate a second. "Done, and done, my friend. If she's still out there, we will do everything we can to find her."

And the group hung their heads in silence for poor, lost Carlenna Kerman.

93CzZUK.png

Inside, the revelry was reaching a feverous pitch, and over the roar of laughter and music, Walt Kerman could be heard shouting out an open window.

XQiK2co.png

"Oh no," Gene sighed, "We better get back in before something get's broken."

But as they left, he turned to the rest of the group. "Before I forget, tomorrow I'm calling a meeting of.. everyone. I mean everyone.  Theo, Gem, I want you there as well. You two have been gone a long time, and will need to be brought up to date. Everyone needs to be brought up to speed. Tomorrow, we look for answers."

From inside more laughter rang out and somewhere a glass shattered, and Gene just sighed and laughed. "But that's tomorrow. Tonight we celebrate. And you are all under orders to enjoy yourselves! Nothing, I repeat, nothing, is going to spoil this homecoming!

YJk8XZt.png

But on Minmus, a completely different kind of "homecoming" was about to occur!

y3TPC1X.png

omBOskd.png

ad6JC0V.png

D71qdoH.png

Df7lvZf.png

WalvmvL.png

YpagfnV.png

gzlFPd5.png

l7UDoYY.png

BrGopdF.png

e3Y3mQ7.png

IF6wfK5.png

9j2nnNM.png

P97nHHN.png

Gmd7YTC.png

Mc7VeeV.png

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the Tale of Emiko Kerman, are far, far from over.....

Go to Chapter 59
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.