The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Well then, it's an invasion! That Mothership being on the pad suggests to me that Team Red can at least build and launch from the old Zaltonic site, even if that isn't their main pad. Seems like first priority for Team Blue is to get an asset in there to take a look that can't be disabled by whatever EM pulses they're shooting from the tracking station. Also, wondering if they will be able to capture the 'frozen' drone and bring it down for study, safely. Good stuff!

35 minutes ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Agreed, but doesn't this force the KASA to militarize?  That would be a grave step, and turn an entity for peaceful exploration into ...something unwanted.   :\

Yes, it does seem bleak..... and the worst part is if you've read any of my prior threads, you'll know I'm 100% opposed to weaponizing KSP in any way.... 

So what will our brave heroes do now??? 

:0.0:

7 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yes, it does seem bleak..... and the worst part is if you've read any of my prior threads, you'll know I'm 100% opposed to weaponizing KSP in any way.... So what will our brave heroes do now??? 

If you figure something out, tell my guys! They're in the same mess!

Wonderful story!  I really like the character development, the camera work, and the plot.  I especially enjoy the design aesthetics of your ships (going to poach some of the elements :)).

Thank you for sharing this with us.  I can hardly wait to see what's next!

5 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Wonderful story!  I really like the character development, the camera work, and the plot.  I especially enjoy the design aesthetics of your ships (going to poach some of the elements :)).

Thank you for sharing this with us.  I can hardly wait to see what's next!

Thank you!  And feel free to poach.  If it helps, I get a lot of my inspirations for ships from classic, old sci-fi movies and TV shows, especially ones from the 60's and 50's. The stories may have been really campy, but some of the ships were epic.  And I've found, much to my delight, some of the designs are quite workable in KSP.

Edited by Just Jim

Even though the drone's onboard computer has made some bad decisions recently, it would just like to say that it still has the utmost confidence and enthusiasm for the mission.  Meanwhile, it would like to sing a song if you'd like to hear it.

Our first fatality......:(

23 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yes, it does seem bleak..... and the worst part is if you've read any of my prior threads, you'll know I'm 100% opposed to weaponizing KSP in any way.... 

So what will our brave heroes do now??? 

:0.0:

Blind them with science...?

2 hours ago, Ten Key said:

The drone ship reminds me of the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. 

Reveal hidden contents

812570366_orig.jpg

hmmmm... while I didn't think of it at the time, it does have some similarities, both in design and purpose, with the Nautilus.  :wink:

2 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

Blind them with science...?

Oh thanks.... now I can't get that song out of my head... lol... :confused:

Chapter 16
Spy vs. Spy

Stone faced, Gene Kerman returned to his office, Dr. von Kerman at his heels.

"Gene, please.... listen."

"I know.... I know. It had to be done. But I hate this."

"So do I, old friend," von Kerman replied softly, "So do I."
Gene closed his eyes and sat quietly for a few seconds, then asked nervously, "Are you sure it worked?"

Dr. von Kerman hesitated, "I can only pray it did, my friend..."

Halfway across the planet, Kerenna Kerman was on the edge of consciousness. The force of the explosion had briefly knocked her out, and as she began to regain consciousness, she was facing upwards, and it felt as if something was gently lowering her to the ground. She felt as if she was floating on a cloud.

"How very strange," she thought, "I don't feel dead..."

Px0x0D3.jpg

Lower and lower she floated to the ground, as her memory of what happened slowly returned. She was flying... and there were those saucer things..... and then she lost power. And something about a red button???

On each side of her, two parachutes suddenly deployed, jarring her memory some more.

e6xKw0j.jpg

The red button. Dr. von Kerman said to only push the red button if something catastrophic happened. And it did. Just like Jeb Kerman had described on the Mun, the saucer things knocked out her navigation and flight control. Worse, her main computer began to overheat, and was heading to critical when Kerenna screamed into her radio, "Tell von Kerman he was right."

And with only milliseconds to spare, she slammed the red button.

Days earlier, after the incident at the old island airstrip, von Kerman designed an emergency evacuation system, or EES, and had it immediately installed into Kerenna's plane. This is what had saved her... it was all going according to plan.

qo877Bs.jpg

7djchvJ.jpg

wx8lzaX.jpg

Z8clzLH.jpg

smL02GQ.jpg

Once on the ground, she found a stick and buried her parachutes, then looked down on the not-so-abandoned center. Maybe 5 kilometers away, she perfectly positioned on a hillside in a grove of trees. There was no-way they could get to her without her seeing them first. 

cmn4MkU.jpg

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a cheese snack; Kuzzter cheese, her favorite brand, and said softly,

"I don't know who you are down there, but if you want to play, then let's play. How about a game of Spy vs. Spy??"

dios5rx.jpg

Meanwhile, Jeb and the team on the Mun have set the chariot on autopilot, and are returning home. ETA is two days.

WQS1EZL.jpg

rfZPhhb.jpg

And on Emiko Station, Piper Kerman has started talking to the strange ship hovering half a kilometer away.

"Listen, thing," she would say out the port window, "If you've hurt my friends, I will break you... do you hear me... BREAK you!!!"

And the longer she sat and watched it, the more she though of ways to destroy it. If only her friends were safe... if only she could rescue them, then she would take that thing down.  And slowly a plan began to form in her mind.  A dark and terrible way to take the monster down. 

Reaching down, she flicked on her headset, "Mission control, this is Emiko Station. Get me dr. von Kerman..."

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over.....

Go to Chapter 17
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

9 hours ago, Laythe Dweller said:

I see that Piper's ship has landing legs.... Any possibility of seeing a Kraken?

Piper's ship?  No, it has a docking port and klaw, but no legs.  I believe your thinking of the Mun lander that Jeb and the crew are in.

As for seeing a kraken, if you meant a real one, perhaps.... but that's along way down the road I'm afraid.

10 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Product Placement for the Win!

*calls his agent*

"Hey, Sal?  Did you see the latest edition from the Jimiverse?  Yeah, they're branding product!  -  So how much will it cost us to lock-down scotch?..."

hehehe  GarrisonChisholm brand scotch....  should only be served with the best Kuzzter cheese???  :wink:

I understand that it's sometime good for a writer to sacrifice a character for proper dramatic impact.  I understand that many readers speak contemptuously about emotional manipulation when characters turn out to have survived, and the Deus ex Machina is one of the most thoroughly reviled of all story-telling devices.

But I say "In your face, wannabe critics!  Karenna's alive and I'm glad about it and YOUR sour lot can all go fly a kite!"  :D

Edited by Crystal_Mace

10 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

I understand that it's sometime good for a writer to sacrifice a character for proper dramatic impact.  I understand that many readers speak contemptuously about emotional manipulation when characters turn out to have survived, and the Deus ex Machina is one of the most thoroughly reviled of all story-telling devices.

But I say "In your face, wannabe critics!  Karenna's alive and I'm glad about it and YOUR sour lot can all go fly a kite!"  :D

Yeah..... Truth is, it's already getting a little darker than I had planned.  But I think I said somewhere already.... if not, I'm saying it now.... no Kerbals will be hurt or killed in the making of this story.  Well, not hurt badly... lol... they may get a little toasted around the edges.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.