The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

On 7/31/2017 at 2:57 PM, Just Jim said:

Yeah, I can already tell it's going to be interesting. But we've been thru many hurricanes, and our supplies are well stocked. And a lot of times the big ones miss Florida completely and end up hitting the East Coast much further up.

The good news is Emily seems to be circling right around this immediate area, so we're just getting off and on rain right now.

Luckily, I'm a bit too far inland and quite northerly for hurricanes. Not to say that two haven't gone near me in my short lifetime...

I'm honestly really glad to NOT have such extreme weather over here, let alone weather that affects the power system. That's 1 of the very few good things about Germany, tho we also have major storms oncemin a while.

Anyway, I hope everything goes according to plans now and u can release the next chapters soon.

10 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Like I said, their host body will go pop! and they'll just Smith on out to the next guy.

The correct way to kill one is - while they're incarcerated into a physical body, they're subject to physical rules. The best way to get rid of one would be to capture it and hold it in a coma so that it can't do anything, but it can't leave the current body either.

More or less... but in the case of the Krakens, they can apparently also exist for an unknown period of time without a host... sort of like a spirit, but at the same time, not a real ghost... more like an entity, I suppose. But without a host they apparently have no real power.

As for holding one in a host body that's in a coma... it's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about this for a bit. :wink:

When I saw the first chapter of this, and the several-week hiatus that followed, I was like, "Aww, an asteroid mission report whose writer thinks is a tale. Probably going to be one of those stories that fade into obscurity over time."

I was proven wrong in dramatic fashion. Thank you, @Just Jim

Thank you!  But I have to be honest, when I first started this, it wasn't much more than a one-time mission report. But writing the first chapter was really fun, so when I found my first Mun Arch, and thought up the scene with Jandolin and Harfield, instead of starting a second mission report, I just kept going with this. And that chapter got a lot of response... so I started thinking of ways to build on it... and, well...  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Murderdeth?

I smell a reference here.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to catch that... lol... :wink:

(Thank you @Kuzzter for letting me borrow it)

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Luckily, I'm a bit too far inland and quite northerly for hurricanes. Not to say that two haven't gone near me in my short lifetime...

Hopefully you'll never experience one at full force. I've been through several, and they can get pretty hairy.  :0.0:

6 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I'm honestly really glad to NOT have such extreme weather over here, let alone weather that affects the power system. That's 1 of the very few good things about Germany, tho we also have major storms oncemin a while.

Anyway, I hope everything goes according to plans now and u can release the next chapters soon.

Yeah, I remember. Although I recall you do get some pretty cold winters.... which aren't too much fun when one is in an infantry unit... brrrr..... 

As for the next chapters, I'm pretty much on schedule. Aiming for this weekend, but I may have just jinxed it.

Mostly there are three new, large buildings, I'm finishing up. I didn't build the originals, they're downloads (made by the same genius that built the amazing Raven's Rest cemetery) but I need to clutter them up more, so to speak, and modify two of them to fit the plot. Right now I'm about 80% done with these. I also have two new smaller buildings, but these are mostly finished, and just need a couple tweaks.

The good thing is I'm pretty sure these new building sets will be all I need for the rest of the entire backstory. So once they're done, I can focus on just taking screenshots and writing, and not having to take another couple weeks building and rebuilding new sets.

Edited by Just Jim

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Hopefully you'll never experience one [a hurricane] at full force. I've been through several, and they can get pretty hairy.  :0.0:

[Edited by adsii1970]

A "full force" hurricane isn't really that bad. It all depends on the type of fruit juice you use... oh, wait, that's the wrong type of hurricane! :D

When I lived in Louisiana, I'd sit out on my back porch and watch the hurricanes cross over where I lived. Nothing like watching a trash can zip by at 80 miles an hour! Now I understand that it doesn't appeal to most people, but I love watching storms. If I had known that one could make a living being a storm chaser, I would have studied to become meteorologist.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

A "full force" hurricane isn't really that bad. It all depends on the type of fruit juice you use... oh, wait, that's the wrong type of hurricane! :D

When I lived in Louisiana, I'd sit out on my back porch and watch the hurricanes cross over where I lived. Nothing like watching a trash can zip by at 80 miles an hour! Now I understand that it doesn't appeal to most people, but I love watching storms. If I had known that one could make a living being a storm chaser, I would have studied to become meteorologist.

Hm... hurricanes are basically Krakens

• Have an eye and several tentacles
  • Come in varying and changeable powers
  • Wreck immense destruction wherever they go
  • Fortunately, there's only a few
  • Exist on a different layer of our world
  • You never really know what they're doing

2 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

well, I'm never going to look at weather patterns the same way again!

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah, I remember. Although I recall you do get some pretty cold winters.... which aren't too much fun when one is in an infantry unit... brrrr..... 

In Germany they're rarely colder than -10°C (Hold on, lemme convet this to F real quick... That would be 14°F for ya, in Celsius that would already mean to go outside in a T-shirt for me), and just before I started on my glider's license (too bad I couldn't finish that, would've passed the practice with flying colors) there was a winter mostly within the 8 - 12°C range where they said they wouldn't have taken all the planes down and put them in their trailers if they had known that before.

On the opposite end we can also get some pretty extreme summers here, I already collapsed during one of those myself when I was 15 or so. I think it was around 8 or 9 o'clock in the morning and we already had the place cooking in 30°C weather, and I had just crawled out of my tent which was in some tree shadows and still relatively cool from the night before. I guess the quick change of temperatures was what cut me down there.

I shouldn't do this... I really shouldn't. But I got so much done today... and I'm in a really good mood.

Here's a teaser screenshot of what's in store... :0.0:

Spoiler

yk6pGhp.png

Wow... this is so accurate it's frightening... :)

5 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

In Germany they're rarely colder than -10°C (Hold on, lemme convert this to F real quick... That would be 14°F for ya, in Celsius that would already mean to go outside in a T-shirt for me), and just before I started on my glider's license (too bad I couldn't finish that, would've passed the practice with flying colors) there was a winter mostly within the 8 - 12°C range where they said they wouldn't have taken all the planes down and put them in their trailers if they had known that before.

Yeah, it probably just seemed colder to me back then because they loved to send us on maneuvers as soon as the snow hit... Snow started to accumulate, you could pretty much count on an alert and/or field problem. And even with a semi-working heater, a huge armored shoe-box on treads gets mighty cold in mid-February. 

Edited by Just Jim

11 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Hide contents

Yeah, it probably just seemed colder to me back then because they loved to send us on maneuvers as soon as the snow hit... Snow started to accumulate, you could pretty much count on an alert and/or field problem. And even with a semi-working heater, a huge armored shoe-box on treads gets mighty cold in mid-February. 

When was that? [snip]

4 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

When was that?

I was stationed in a town named Crailsheim (which is pretty much right between Nuremberg and Stuttgart, if you draw a straight line from one to the other) from 1980-1982. Our sister division was the 302nd Panzers, if I remember correctly.

OK, back on topic... I made a huge find yesterday on my favorite download sight... a big package of special effects stuff! :D  These are like what I use to make the fog and smoke effects, but there's a big variety of stuff I don't have, especially fire and flame effects!

These won't cause me to have to re-write anything... but they do open up some fun new possibilities for what I already have planned.

Hey everyone, two quick updates...

First, off-topic quick: Navi, my new adopted cat, is doing really good, and seems to be adjusting quite well! :)

Second, back on-topic: the next chapters screenshots are coming out great! Gonna take another day or two to get them all, but I'm psyched.... this next chapter is going to be really fun and... different.... yeah, definitely different...lol...  :wink:

Until then, here's a new screenshot to contemplate:

Spoiler

4MAbM0c.png

Edited by Just Jim

Well... about the Emiko Station Facebook page... I just deleted it! I am so annoyed!  :mad:

Everything I try to post they want me to "promote", or it says no-one can see it but me... Yeah... "Promote"... as in costs &$$$. What's worse is if there is a way to post something without paying, it's so buried and complicated this old brain can't find it. There is no-way I'm paying Facebook anything for a book that's free to anyone that wants to read it... so I'm done.

Going back to Facebook was a big mistake. I'll just stay here on the forum.

On 8/8/2017 at 10:29 AM, greenTurtle1134 said:

A truer word was never spoken... 

3922647900000578-3826445-image-a-56_1475840016217.jpg

Hey everyone, quick update. I spent all day yesterday and today doing screenshots, and at this point I'm about 80-90% done with chapter 86, and should have them finished tomorrow no problem. Then I'll dive right into screenshots for chapter 87, and hopefully have everything wrapped up by the end of the week.

I wish I could show y'all a couple more spoilers... they're coming out great so far. But I have something a little... different... planned, and I don't want to ruin the surprise... especially the one I have in store for our good friend @Badie... bwaahahahaha.... :D

40 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Cleanup in Aisle 7, it looks like blood.....

This won't end well.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Who... me??? :rolleyes:

Yeah you! What nefarious deed did you pull now??

:D

1 minute ago, GDJ said:

This won't end well.

I fear not. It could be a nice surprise, but judging by the "bwahahahaha", more than likely not.

Edited by qzgy

10 hours ago, qzgy said:

Cleanup in Aisle 7, it looks like blood.....

Actually I made a promise to a couple moderators and squad people I'd hold back on the blood... you should have seen the first version of the Fishhead hotel "Murder-Room"... it was gruesome. :0.0:

But I realized the forum has some young readers, so to be safe I threw the first screenshots drafts by... someone... and sure enough, they agreed the room was a bit over the top, so to speak. So I dialed back the blood splatters and re-did those particular shots.

Now don't misunderstand, this is not censorship, and I'm the one that first brought it up, not a moderator, so I'm not upset... not at all. I'm just trying to respect the fact I can't post a "Freddy Kruger" style scene where there are kids reading.... no matter how tempting it is.

I'm looking at this like a challenge... like keeping my Kerbals non-violent... how do I do these next few chapters without leaving Aisle 7 a complete mess... and still ramp up the tension and danger??? 

10 hours ago, GDJ said:

This won't end well.

Yeah you! What nefarious deed did you pull now??

9 hours ago, qzgy said:

I fear not. It could be a nice surprise, but judging by the "bwahahahaha", more than likely not.

All I'm going to say is I wouldn't go to all the trouble of making @Badie a primary Kraken-minion for no reason....  :sticktongue:

....and I think the clues are all there as to what I have planned, if you look hard enough.... bwaahahahaha

51 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

All I'm going to say is I wouldn't go to all the trouble of making @Badie a primary Kraken-minion for no reason....  :sticktongue:

....and I think the clues are all there as to what I have planned, if you look hard enough.... bwaahahahaha

Evil genius tries to take over the world, or at least the town. Someone is framed for murder... I don't know if any of you have ever watched Thunderbirds but this is totally the Hood's style.

Edited by The Dunatian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.