The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

31 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Thats almost the population of Iceland.

Just let that sink in.

Wow... that is a little hard to wrap my head around. :)

4 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

You know, badie just participated in the voluntary atmosphere. I feel like I'm quiet now.

Voluntary atmosphere???

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... that is a little hard to wrap my head around. :)

Voluntary atmosphere???

What?

wait

WHATTT?

OHHH

I Put "Optional Atmospheres" through google translate to change it to icelandic

Edited by DeltaDizzy

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Paging @Just Jim... 24-hour checkin... you good?

So far so good... the rain is just east of us, and should be hitting anytime. And the track this morning... well... it isn't good...but what can you do?

Edited by Just Jim

I'm posting storm stuff on 3 different threads, but hopefully the moderators will understand.

We're not in bad shape here, just lots of off and on rain, and the news is really hopeful! Irma made landfall earlier this afternoon in Naples, and the newest forecast has it hitting here sometime after midnight, but only as a Cat-1 storm... not a Cat-4 like we thought this morning.

I still expect to lose power, it always happens in big storms... but not nearly as bad wind or flooding.

I doubt I'll be going to bed if it's coming in at midnight, so I'll report back in if I have an internet or cell signal.

54 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I doubt I'll be going to bed if it's coming in at midnight, so I'll report back in if I have an internet or cell signal.

I remember thinking I'd sleep through Ike, and for the most part I did - the last three or four hours of it when I was exhausted and it was mostly rain. There was no sleeping through the windstorm at night. 

Good luck. Really didn't look all that bad on the news just now. (They were only interviewing scared yankees and not locals....)

31 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

(They were only interviewing scared yankees and not locals....)

That's about right.... :wink:

My daughter just lost power, I expect ours to blink off anytime, so I'm logging off....

I think I posted this somewhere already, but here's the storm a little while ago... not much wind, but a lot of rain:

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Bigger question: do ya hafta go into work in the morning on no sleep?

Nope. One of the times it's good to be on disability. 

Just took a walk around back, I think my little grapefruit tree got uprooted. I'll know more in about an hour, when I can see better.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Nope. One of the times it's good to be on disability. 

Just took a walk around back, I think my little grapefruit tree got uprooted. I'll know more in about an hour, when I can see better.

Aww no! I heard y'all are really serious about grapefruit.. Poor thing :( Hope you guys stay safe!

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Aww no! I heard y'all are really serious about grapefruit.. Poor thing :( Hope you guys stay safe!

It's been moved like 3 ft. I'll post a picture later when I can. And a palm tree across the street is now sitting in my neighbor's front porch. But we got no power and the cell signal is not good. So I'll chime in when I can

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

It's been moved like 3 ft. I'll post a picture later when I can. And a palm tree across the street is now sitting in my neighbor's front porch. But we got no power and the cell signal is not good. So I'll chime in when I can

I wonder how many times the power lines need to get torn down until they either put them underground or make them strong enough to even take heavy hits from debris without breaking.

8 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I wonder how many times the power lines need to get torn down until they either put them underground or make them strong enough to even take heavy hits from debris without breaking.

This! ZOMG, so much this! I used to live outside of Phoenix, where the weather is generally pretty boring and there's nary a proper sized tree to be found, yet all the power lines were underground. 

But up here near Seattle, where we have trees to spare and plenty of wind, all the lines are on poles that inevitably have trees fall on them every, well, fall. 

One would think in a place prone to hurricanes, someone at some point in the last hundred years would have figured this out! 

Ok /rant off. @Just Jim sounds like the worst it over at least, save your battery for important stuff. Now comes the hard part. 

Irma is only a tropical storm where we are, but we are still getting sustained 50 mph winds with gusts up to 60 mph and driving rain. The power conked out but fortunately my house has a large standby generator so we should be fine. I expect this storm should make quite a large mess to clean up though. I think my large oak tree has lost most of it's leaves and many of it's branches which, of course, have blown right into the yard. The yard swing has flipped over and the garbage cans are nowhere to found, along with pretty much every loose object outside.

25 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This! ZOMG, so much this! I used to live outside of Phoenix, where the weather is generally pretty boring and there's nary a proper sized tree to be found, yet all the power lines were underground. 

But up here near Seattle, where we have trees to spare and plenty of wind, all the lines are on poles that inevitably have trees fall on them every, well, fall. 

One would think in a place prone to hurricanes, someone at some point in the last hundred years would have figured this out! 

Ok /rant off. @Just Jim sounds like the worst it over at least, save your battery for important stuff. Now comes the hard part. 

I think trees are the issue there. underground power lines are more costly to do, so having trees tear up your power lines with their roots is a bad thing, and will lead to outages where its hard to ID the location of the break. 

I'm in my car right now, because I have a full tank of gas, and a phone charger. As far as the power lines, they've been talking about that on the news all weekend, and it basically comes down to money. But last night, I saw some amazing Transformer explosions. Huge, huge blue flashes like lightning all around us. This was around midnight, when the winds had really picked up.

4 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Yeah, they put on quite a show, don't they?

Yeah, it really was. Like a weird cross between a thunderstorm and an aurora. And there were a lot of them.

I think I'll name my next chapter "After the Storm". Surprisingly enough it really does fit what I'm going to do

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.