The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

6 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

My laptop's been comatose for MONTHS...but I've got a new Xbox 1 with a KSP port due soon...so as Werner and the boys say, "I will get there...EVENTUALLY!" 

o/~ "But I think it's gonna be a long, long time..." o/~

(hope not!):/

Hey!!!  glad you're back!!! Or will be soon!!!   :D

On 12/19/2017 at 12:20 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Just Jimcheck this mod out:

I have it but never actually used it, but among other things you can set it for timed screenshot bursts and (I think) trigger on crash/explosion. 

I am definitely checking this one out tomorrow... thanks!!! :D

On 11.12.2017 at 7:27 AM, Geschosskopf said:

with noz and britva and the red, red kruvvy

I think it may be the worst transliteration I've seen. If not for one word that's too difficult to mess up, wouldn't guess what it was supposed to be at all

On 11.12.2017 at 4:47 PM, Geschosskopf said:

including "nadsat" (which means "teenager")

Wut?! :confused: Come on, this is 100% unrecognizable without reverse engineering after already getting a hint on what it is. Yup, tearing "teen" part out of numbers just doesn't work for other languages

OK, I don't even want to check the source out, you've already broken the autotranslator in my head

9 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

I think it may be the worst transliteration I've seen. If not for one word that's too difficult to mess up, wouldn't guess what it was supposed to be at all

Wut?! :confused: Come on, this is 100% unrecognizable without reverse engineering after already getting a hint on what it is. Yup, tearing "teen" part out of numbers just doesn't work for other languages

OK, I don't even want to check the source out, you've already broken the autotranslator in my head

I admit, it's an odd dialect, but for some reason, it really seems to work for the movie.  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

OK, quick update... got about 90% of the screenshots done. I had to stop and re-think one part... it was a little clumsy... but that's all good now. I'm going to try and get them all wrapped up tomorrow... sort and upload on Sunday, and I'm aiming to get this chapter written up Christmas day... barring any unforseen weirdness... :)

On 12/21/2017 at 2:17 PM, Geschosskopf said:

IIRC, those are the spellings used in the book.  

That's how they're spelled in the movie sub-titles as well.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget...
                                                                  The Eagles, "Hotel California"

Chapter 90
The Hotel Kalifornia

Night had once again fallen on the Kerbal Space Center, two days after the disappearance of the Platypus and her crew, and Werhner von Kerman found himself standing outside the astronaut complex, looking up at Emiko's enigmatic Magic Boulder.

hRDTihW.png

LK1NNV1.png

xSmeZZx.png

"Well, we know where she is," Werhner whispered up to the massive boulder. "Thompberry picked up the heat bloom from the Platypus's reactor. They're on an island in the middle of the Sea of Snark called Kokomo, about 200 kilometers from where they disappeared. And we've just received a... a ransom note... from LoVar and Saffron Kerman, demanding one million credits, in gold, for the safe return of the crew."

EuPgdLC.png

oK1tN13.png

ZQnc2I4.png

Werhner paused for a moment. This was the third time he'd come out to talk to the boulder, which was beginning to worry Gene a little, but Werhner felt strangely comforted being near the Boulder, despite the fact it hadn't brought Emiko back already. At first he had been furious the Boulder did nothing, but now he realized it was because Emiko hadn't been in any real danger. It was clear LoVar wanted the crew alive... so the Boulder had no reason to act.

"We... we have a plan," Werhner said softly. "But it's frightfully risky..."

Werhner paused again, thinking of just what was at stake... because accompanying the ransom note was a picture... of another of Saffron's explosive packs... only this time it was wired right into the Platypus's reactor!

R8S7byU.png

Now Werhner knew enough about nuclear physics to know this wasn't any kind of unspeakable "Super-bomb"... but Kokomo Island was only about 10 kilometers or so long, and the explosion's resulting "dirty-cloud" could still be more than sufficient to poison it from end to end, and who knows how far out into the sea beyond.

"I... I don't know if you can understand me," Werhner whispered again to the Magic Boulder. "But if the worst does happen... please, please save Emiko, and the rest. I know you can... I... I just wish you could hear me... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!"

Just then Werhner felt... odd... as if he was lighter than a feather. And slowly he felt himself floating... floating... floating....

HaPmyoB.png

And just like that, Werhner von Kerman found himself on a cold, dark moon, staring straight at...

No... could it be???

avdh6Yz.png

WUfMBEb.png

"Jool... Laythe, Vall..." Werhner gasped. "I'm on... Bop?"

Then he realized he had no helmet, and was surrounded in a weird sort of green glow... and he knew now what was actually happeneing to him.

"Just like Geschosskopf described..." Werhner said to himself softly. "I'm having a vision! But why Bop? Why hereee.... Oh... wait..."

There was only one reason he could possibly imagine why the Magic Boulder would show him a vision of Bop, and he instantly knew exactly where he was without turning around. But turn around he did, and sure enough, there before him lie the bloated figure of the dead elder Kraken, and next to it... Werhner gasped... Thompberry's old ship!

ehr3VsC.png

3RXpmyI.png

Werhner has been fascinated about the tale of Thompberry on Bop from the first time he had heard it, and now, finally, he had an opportunity to see it all for himself! This was just too good to be true, and Werhner ran as fast as he could to investigate further. But as he got closer, he discovered he wasn't alone, and came to a quick halt, trying to determine just who... or what... it was before him!

VGQQ33b.png

zHHvc3a.png

o49wXHi.png

From where he was standing it looked like Harfield's small base on Eve that they had lost contact with some time ago.

"Well, I suppose that explains that," Werhner shook his head. "But who is that sitting atop it?" 

He remembered Geschosskoph saying the Krakens in his vision seemed quite unaware of his presence, but before he could advance and investigate further, the strange figure did something extraordinary... It stood up, jumped down to the ground, and called out to Werhner!

"Come, come now..." a strange voice rang out in Werhner's head. "I won't bite..."

nsYso8T.png

gz5A8ub.png

Ryw5vYZ.png

47sk2Fr.png

Surprisingly, the voice didn't sound terribly threatening, and Werhner's curiosity far, far outweighed any fear he had. So Werhner walked up to the remarkable figure... who he soon recognized as none other than the missing Parka B. Kerman! But his eyes... his eyes...

"Parka..."

MCEHBPP.png

7RQbCbS.png

"Parka?" the figure mused... "Was that this host's name?"

"Host? Yes... I suppose that would be the correct term," Werhner replied. "His name was Parka B. Kerman, correct."

"It is an odd name," Parka... or what was inside him... replied. "And you are?"

"I am Werhner von Kerman, at your service..." Werhner tried to sound as calm as he could be, given the situation. "If I may... are you a... a Kraken?"

frw5e3g.png

"I am... " Parka/Kraken replied. "Or perhaps I was... once... centuries ago..."

3I8Mq07.png

LpUI7BI.png

"I'm not sure I understand." Werhner turned to the great dead elder Kraken. "This...was also a Kraken, but in it's... it's real form?"

"It is..." Parka/Kraken answered, somewhat surprised. This Kerb wasn't some primitive, as his mate would have him believe they were... No, this was an intelligent Kerb, with a well organized mind, who didn't let his fear over come him, despite the circumstance. What an unusual surprise...

"But..." Werhner hesitated. "It's... it's not... how do I put this???"

"It's not hideous?" The entity possessing Parka laughed. "Some horrifying nightmare, with 100 meter tentacles, lined in razor sharp suckers, capable of rending flesh from bone in seconds???"

"Well... to be completely honest," Werhner replied. "Yes..."

"Ahhh..." Parka/Kraken chuckled. "You should meet my mate sometime..."

For a second Werhner just stood there, totally aghast... Then his self-control broke, and he was overcome by a fit of laughing... which the creature in Parka soon joined.

oT00RaK.png

Now it was Werhner's turn to be flabbergasted... Did this... Kraken... seriously just make a joke??? How odd. He had always thought of Krakens as some mindless monsters... a demon from some childhood nightmare. But whatever it was that had possessed Parka B. Kerman seemed anything but a beast... In fact, it was quite gentlekerbanly...

Once Werhner had a chance to catch his breath... which seemed so weird on a moon with no atmosphere... he turned and looked at the Elder Kraken again.

"So this one... wasn't a... a fighter?" he asked. "I'm not sure if I'm phrasing that right."

"No, no..." Parka/Kraken answered slowly. "I understand. And no, this one... my father... he wasn't a warrior. He was our greatest thinker."

"Thinker?" Werhner gasped. "Like a scholar?"

"Scholar, philosopher... mentalist extraordinaire..." Parka/Kraken smiled sadly. "He was the best of us... Until he turned against..."

"Against?" Werhner asked softly. "How?"

"Oh... Oh, no, Werhner von Kerman," Parka/Kraken chuckled. "I have told much... now it's your turn. I have information I desire, and perhaps you can supply."

"Fair enough," von Kerman agreed.

"That ship there," Parka/Kraken motioned to Thompberry's craft. "What do you know of it?"

"Thompberry's old ship?"

"Thompberry..." Parka/Kraken repeated the name softly. "So you know this one? This Thompberry?"

"Yes, I have known Thompberry for his whole life... on and off..." von Kerman was curious why the interest in Thompberry. "Through both good and bad."

"I see," Parka/Kraken continued. "And you know what... transpired here, in this place?"

Yes..." Werhner grew quieter... "You mean Thompberry's brain being placed inside a... pod-like device?"

"Yes, von Kerman. That is exactly what I mean." Parka/Kraken sounded much more serious now. "And you say you've known this... Thompberry... before he came to Bop?"

"Correct."

"Indeed..." Parka/Kraken nodded. "Then tell me, Werhner von Kerman... Has this Thompberry... has he ever shown any sign of... duality?"

"Duality?" Werhner was taken back a second, then smiled sadly and looked over at the Elder Kraken's lifeless body. "Ahhh... your father???"

"Yes," Parka/Kraken sighed.

"No," Werhner shook his head. "Thompberry is many things, and can be as dangerous as any Kraken legend I've heard tell... But I say to you again, I've known him nearly all his life, and one thing I can assure you, Thompberry is Thompberry. And to my knowledge, has never been... possessed... in any way that I know of."

DLBi9ov.png

"I see," Parka/Kerman sighed. 

"But... " von Kerman asked. "If I may be so bold... You're obviously inside Parka... but how? And where is your own body?"

"My... my body," the Kraken in Parka sighed even louder. "Gone... incinerated in a futile attempt to flee a war 1000 of your years ago."

"Mein Gott..." von Kerman whispered. "Earth..."

k5IrNFM.png

"What???" Parka/Kraken gasped in surprise. "You know of the planet called Earth???"

Werhner stood silent, afraid he may have said too much.

"Then it is true... Emiko Kerman has returned." Parka/Kraken smiled.

"I... I don't know who you're talking about," von Kerman lied... but the Kraken only laughed.

"Fear not, Werhner von Kerman... Emiko is not my enemy," Parka/Kraken smiled, then drew deadly serious. "But under no circumstances let my... my mate... know of her whereabouts... I fear I would not be able to contain her rage... or her retribution."

Just then Werhner felt himself rising off the ground, and the Parka/Kraken smiled.

"Ahhh, I fear your visit has come to an end," Parka/Kraken called to him. "I have enjoyed our little conversation, Werhner von Kerman. Perhaps some..."

fNibcBI.png

vTHsOGP.png

And just like that, Werhner found himself back at the KSC, staring up at Emiko's Magic Boulder. It took him a few seconds to wrap his brain around what had just happened... then he ran as fast as he could to the Administration building, calling out on the top of his lungs...

"Gene!!! Gene!!!  GENE!!!"

vjIuZjT.png

2IoKXAD.png

Two days after Werhner's strange vision, a stately old steamboat named the Chalupa Queen was pulling up along the shore of the great Serpentine River, with none other than Kuzzter Kerman at her wheel. Landed not far away, the mighty airship Annabel Lee waited to transfer her precious cargo.

eKGBOTr.png

HziU9OE.png

iMoMMwi.png

fSMXJtU.png

Once she was loaded, and the passengers secured, Kerenna Kerman, who had been piloting the Annabel Lee, came aboard to wish Kuzzter luck.

"Are... are you sure this is going to work?" Kerenna asked nervously.

"No..." Kuzzter replied. "I wish I could say I was... but right now I'm giving this about a 50/50 chance... and it's my plan..."

uLUyOw3.png

LVH8mSc.png

"I... I wish I could come along."

"I know, lass," Kuzzter smiled. "But we need you and Obney to set-up air drops to the other stranded scientists. We'll take care of LoVar and Saffron."

"Well... then..." Kerenna said nervously, then reached over and gave the scruffy old captain a big hug. "Just keep everyone safe..."

Then Kerenna turned and started down the gangplank, but turned and called out as she descended.

"By the way... I love the hat!"

"Yeah... it wasn't really what I really wanted..." Kuzzter muttered to himself, then called back. "Thank you, dear!"

And with that he went inside and up to the pilothouse, where Geschosskoph was preparing to depart.

"At your pleasure, Mr. Geschosskoph."

"Aye, sir," Geo responded, then called into the intercom. "Engine room, ahead 1/3rd..."

"Answering 1/3rd, sir..."

And from back on shore, Kerenna watched as the venerable old ship slowly pulled away, did a graceful turn, and headed down river to the Sea of Snark.... and said a quiet prayer to herself for her friends safe return.

Hf5hbXm.png

IqQ1Mv4.png

SP7Nzwq.png

w2gjCFK.png

Now Kuzzter knew full well what was at stake, and the danger they were heading into, but despite this, a huge grin was spreading across his face as the steamship headed down towards the great Chalupa Canyon. It had far, far too long since Kuzzter was behind the wheel of a ship...Not a space ship, but a ship ship... Yes, he might very well be sailing to their doom... But the feel of the water beneath them was exhilarating, and gave him a surge of confidence his 2nd, Geschosskopf, was not at all sharing.

"Smile, Geo," Kuzzter called over. "For tomorrow we may poof..."

"Yeah... probably," Geo snarled. "I just hope I get my hands on her before we do..."

"Trust me, old friend," Kuzzter grew deadly silent. "If this works.. you'll have your chance."

GOtCEW8.png

By mid-day the Chalupa Queen was entering the canyon who's name she bore. She was a well known ship, owned and normally operated by the legendary Fengist Kerman, who ran the most successful shipyard on the planet, and was an old friend of Kuzzter. She was also perfect to transport the first part of the ransom out to Kokomo Island, where the Platypus was being held. Saffron had complained loudly, but in the end had to agree. The Chalupa Queen was a well known sight on the river and sea both, and while everyone around these parts knew of her, and would most likely look up and wave.. they would also go right back to what they were doing, without giving her a second thought. She was slow... but she was perfect for slipping the ransom out right in plain sight.

IQybyaO.png

tNXzMuN.png

"So you never did say, how did you get Fengist to agree?" Geo asked out of the blue.

"I promised him half the gold if we're successful," Kuzzter chuckled.

"Ahhh, yes," Geo nodded. "That would get his attention. And the Mariner?"

"Will be ready..." Kuzzter answered softly...

cFpvl7P.png

By evening the Chalupa Queen had cleared the great Chalupa Canyon, and the sea lay before them...

"See, we're making great time," Kuzzter smiled. "By this time tomorrow we should be nearing Kokomo."

"Let's hope so," Geo grumbled.

vx8xtIg.png

rKarpiD.png

8V8GTT6.png

MFNj963.png

"Oh, come on, you old grouch," Kuzzter laughed, switching on the auto pilot and grabbing his hat. "Let's go get some real air!"

And with that he headed out of the pilothouse and down to the upper-fore deck, Geschosskopf following and grumbling behind him the whole way.

Wd47HUT.png

But once Geo got a blast of brine soaked air in his face, he too began to relax... just a little.

"How long has it been?" Kuzzter asked softly.

"Ten years..." Geschosskopf answered. "Not long enough..."

ttHe799.png

we4MNoP.png

Once the sun had set, Geschosskopf returned to the Pilothouse, while Kuzzter checked in on their passengers. 

WnABJv8.png

And just as Kuzzter had predicted, right after sun-set the next day little Kokomo Island came slowly into view.

v6NVXBe.png

"Platypus base, this is Chalupa Queen," Kuzzter radioed over. "We have you in sight."

"Affirmative, Platypus," LoVar radioed back... in a strangely subdued voice. "I recommend you lay anchor just offshore, and we'll commence with unloading at sunrise."

"Agreed," Kuzzter sent back. "In the morning, then."

And with that he switched off the radio, exchanged a very curious look with Geschosskoph, and maneuvered the Chalupa Queen about a kilometer or so offshore, where they dropped anchor for the night.

zOikSTX.png

The next morning, just the sky began to glow red, Kuzzter brought the Chalupa Queen around to the west side of the island, where a small sandbar jutted into the sea, acting as a natural dock for passing ships. It had been years since Kuzzter had last visited Kokomo, but he remembered it well enough, and soon had the Chalupa Queen docked along side the sandbar, and ready to unload.

8aSjDDa.png

nLCYdOA.png

8IwWr7b.png

I40eJxz.png

Meanwhile, up at the Platypus camp, Bill was finally waking up from the horrifying concussion he received the night the Platypus was taken. 

Out in the sun for the first time in days, Bill squinted and looked around, only to find himself in some sort of... holding area???

pMWCc6o.png

Qu82E2E.png

"OK," Bill shook his head... "Where are we???"

"We think Kokomo Island," Bob answered, overjoyed to see his best friend back on his feet. 

"Gave us quite a scare there, boy," Pappy Kerman smiled broadly. "Wasn't sure you was ever gonna wake back up."

m3WEJKR.png

"Wait..." Bill looked around again. "Just how long have I been out?"

"A little over 5 days," Bob answered gently. "It was touch and go for a while..."

"5... days.." Bill whispered. "The last thing I remember is... is... all of you blowing up!"

"Yeah..." Bob explained. "Saffron designed and shaped the explosive perfectly so it would blow off the communication tower, but do no damage to the rest of the ship... Truth be told, you weren't supposed to have been hurt either."

"I... I don't understand." Bill shook his head. "Why blow off the tower?"

"As a warning," Emiko chimed in. "Sneaky Saffron is holding Emiko's friends hostage..."

Just then the dome hatch nearest them opened, and Bob was surprised to see LoVar Kerman climb out, look around, and smile at the sight of Bob on his feet!

adf0Tv8.png

"Ahhh... so you are awake," LoVar seemed to stammer. "Good... that's... that's good. I will inform her."

And with that he turned and re-entered the dome.

kPdTpQ6.png

As soon as he was inside Bill turned and looked at Emiko.

"Well?"

"LoVar still cool," Emiko replied. "Not a problem anymore."

gAP9YVJ.png

"Wait... what's this?" Bill was really confused now. "Didn't you just say LoVar is holding us hostage."

"No, not LoVar," Emiko tried her best to explain. "Not anymore... LoVar only wanted a ship... Sneaky Saffron turned on him... then took over..."

"Oh?"

"Yes, right after we arrived here," Bob continued. "Apparently LoVar was concerned about Saffron's... threat..."

"Wait... what threat?" Bill interrupted... but wasn't sure if he wanted an answer.

For a moment everyone stood silent...

"What threat?" Bill now demanded.

"Bill... buddy..." Bob said softly and looked over at the Platypus. "She's wired an explosive pack into the reactor..."

R8S7byU.png

"My god..." Bill could hardly believe his ears... What kind of monster was this Saffron?

But just then they group was interrupted by the voice of none other than Saffron herself, barking orders to young Fritz Kerman. And a few seconds later Bill saw the two riding off in the Platypus trailer, now unloaded and re-fitted with command chairs.

ZTeKiyW.png

e1C1h3F.png

"And where are they off to?" Bill asked.

"Down to the beach," Bob answered as he watched the trailer-rover head down the hill they were camped on. "The first shipment of gold arrived last night, and they're heading down to unload it."

"Hope stupid Fritz fall in," Emiko mumbled.

"Oh, and why is that?" Bill was surprised at the vindictiveness in Emiko's voice.

"Damn fool kid tried to saddle up to Saffron right after the kidnapping," Pappy spat, then nodded in fierce agreement over to Emiko... "Now he's her pack-mule... serves him right!"

Rjrehor.png

As they drove down, Fritz tried to smile, but he had also come to realize he had made a truly foolish mistake, and was paying for it in triplicate.

"Get a move on, fool..." Saffron snarled. "And don't get us poofed in the process!"

"Yes, ma'am," Fritz answered meekly, and pushed the trailer-rover as fast as he dared down to the beach.

t77sspI.png

yGZblU7.png

pp28dSs.png

But as they drew close to the Chalupa Queen, Saffron was somewhat surprised to see a hard-faced Kerbette, with what appeared to be her assistant, waiting by the gangplank. Behind them, still on-board, were Kuzzter and Geschosskopf, who looked angry enough to chew neutronium. The rest of the crew had been ordered to remain below.

lda9Z5A.png

ay2FrZj.png

HumRhAb.png

"And you are?" Saffron called out as they came to a halt in front of the stone-faced figure.

"Here to keep you honest!" The Kerbette responded, without missing a beat.

"Oh?" Saffron laughed. "Is that a fact?"

"It is..."

"Well, then," Saffron grew serious. "Have you brought the gold?"

"We have."

"Outstanding..." Saffron began. "I'll just have Fritz here...

"No." The Kerbette stood firm.

"No?" Saffron was taken aback.

"No... not until I've seen the Platypus crew for myself, and know the're unharmed. Then, and only then, may you begin unloading."

Saffron was actually a little impressed... this was a Kerb she could respect. But she could never let it show, and instead let out an exasperated huff.

"Fine... there's a seat in the back. Fritz... take my... my conscience... and I back to the base... and step on it!"

iz92t0a.png

slQvedg.png

cai8UnV.png

hDKlFLB.png

Back on board the Chalupa Queen, Kuzzter let out a low whistle.

"That, my friends, has got to be the bravest Kerbette I've ever met..."

h90771H.png

Once they were back at the camp, Saffron escorted the yet unknown Kerb thru the a locked hatch, and into what appeared to be some sort of pen... and then summoned Val and Emiko out to meet them.

uvmyHP1.png

onCTzVP.png

As she stepped out into the sunlight, Val stopped in shock. As soon as she laid eyes in the Kerbette in front of her, she knew something must be up... and she did her best to re-compose herself

"Piper!" she said with a broad smile. "Commander Piper, this is indeed an... unexpected pleasure."

QRamN04.png

"Valentina, Ma'dam Emiko... I'm am delighted to see you're unharmed," Piper smiled back, then shot a vicious look back at Saffron. "I trust the others are as well unharmed?"

"So far we're all fine," Val answered. "But everyone is really scared."

"That is understandable," Piper nodded. "Tell them we're working on securing their safe release..."

"Speaking of..." Saffron interrupted, "Are you satisfied... Piper, is it?"

"I am..." Piper turned back to Saffron. "You may now begin unloading the supplies."

xGoktsR.png

"Wait!" Saffron cried. "What supplies? What about my gold!"

"The snacks, and other provisions for the crew, plus replacement parts to try and repair the damage you've done to the Platypus with your stupid display..." Piper snarled back. "THOSE supplies! Then, once I'm satisfied the crew here won't starve under your little self-imposed dictatorship... THEN you can have your precious gold!"

"Arrrgggg, FINE!" Saffron sneered back, then called loudly behind her. "Fritz, you worthless excuse for a Kerb, get off your tail! It's time to get back to work!"

Kbl5jAQ.png

And so poor Fritz, now totally regretting his decision to side with Saffron, spent the rest of the day, and well into the evening, hauling boxes of supplies from the Chalupa Queen into the trailer-rover, then unloading them back at the Platypus camp. Back and forth he trudged.. until his legs felt like flaming rubber, and he could barely stand...

3mb76zB.png

L9poY4X.png

6TToG2E.png

Finally, as Kerbol began to dip down towards the horizon, Fritz loaded the last two crates of supplies, and wearily drove the trailer-rover back. Once he had them stacked with the rest, Saffron turned to Piper and growled.

"OK, are you finally satisfied?

"Absolutely," Piper smiled back. "We can begin unloading your gold... first thing in the morning."

lkpGaiz.png

"Whhhhaaa..." Saffron's face turned dark emerald! "No.... NO!!!"

"Yes," Piper stood firm. "Look, you know as well as I this... lackey of yours... He's going to have to carry each bar one at a time. And he can barely stand now as it is! Would you have him unload the gold in the dark, in his shape? Half of it would end up in the water!"

"Damn you..." Saffron was really starting to hate this Piper now... and wondering how much fun it might be if she was tied to the reactor before Saffron threw the switch... But as much as she hated to admit it, this... annoyance... was right. She had pushed Fritz all day, and he was clearly in no shape to be handling Saffron's gold.

"OK, we unload in the morning," Saffron finally gave in. "But you're staying here tonight, where I can keep an eye on you."

"Absolutely," Piper agreed. "Anything else?"

"Yes," Saffron smiled evilly. "One more thing."

7IIxilf.png

7CwLcNs.png

Fifteen minutes later they were back at the beach... and Geschosskopf was pitching a fit!

"No... NO!" Geo screamed. "I will NOT become a hostage to.... to... her!"

"Yes... dear..." Saffron laughed. "Come on, it'll be fun... like a sleepover!"

"NOOO! I would rather kiss a Platypus's..." Geo shouted at her, but was cut off by Piper's stern voice. 

"Yes... you will."

"But, ma'am..." Geo complained. "You don't understand..."

"Yes, I do," Piper shot back... "But for the safety of the crew..."

"Fine... FINE!" Geo shouted, and stormed into the back of the trailer.

2kNq6wA.png

RiNZ0Xj.png

AVAGEua.png

VswrkoX.png

As the trailer-rover pulled away, Kuzzter looked over to the Rocklady and smiled...

"Well, so far, so good..."

Then, as soon as the trailer-rover was safely out of sight, he dashed back into the Chalupa Queen, threw off his hat and glasses, and headed straight to the Pilothouse.

LGrZahS.png

SxxgdA2.png

For a few seconds, Kuzzter sat and waited, counting... this was the most critical phase of his plan... and he could only hope and pray Saffron wasn't somehow monitoring the airwaves...then he switched the radio to a pre-determined frequency, took a deep breath, and hit his microphone just long enough to send the briefest of messages.

"Mariner, you are free to deploy when ready..."

uMuro6e.png

Back at the camp, Geschosskopf stopped before entering the compound, and searched through the supply containers until he found the one he was after, then requested to meet Emiko...

When she and Chibi emerged into the camp's "holding area", Emiko stopped, and her jaw dropped open as she saw Geschosskopf standing there... with a guitar!!!

Jhp8mXM.png

"No... way!" Emiko cried out... "Geo-cough... where... how???"

"Werhner had a couple of the guys in R&D working on it every since the day you describe one to him... It was supposed to be your birthday present... but he thought, under the circumstances... you might need it more now."

"Ohhh..." Emiko began crying as she gently accepted the precious gift... "Sweet, sweet Werhner... Oh..."

"Now that Kerbal is a keeper," Chibi smiled over at her best friend. "Oh, hey girlfriend, we've got to throw a concert!!!"

QZepJmB.png

"Yes... YES!" Emiko grinned. "Bring everyone out..."

"No... Saffron interrupted.

"But..." Emiko turned and frowned at Saffron. "Emiko wants to play!!!"

"You may play that... thing," Saffron agreed. "But everyone else stays inside... they can watch from their monitors if they wish."

"Saffron is mean," Emiko stuck her tongue out at her... "But fine, as long as Emiko can play..."

MqvQYUH.png

Meanwhile... while Emiko started to play her new guitar, and Chibi sang along... something was stirring just beyond the horizon...

A faint ripple in the sea... a silhouette rising slowly from the depths...

Bkmhyzq.png

o2zDdtW.png

A cargo bay is opened... and a strange shape moves silently over the waves... without causing so much as a ripple...

gb6DH80.png

ewrIzHd.png

The object locates it's target, and shoots off over the waves at impossible speed....

vq5aRvb.png

Back at the Platypus camp, Emiko and Chibi were playing and singing, and for a short time completely forgot their peril. They went through each of the Kerbin songs Emiko had been able to teach Chibi in the short time since she had arrived, and were thinking of what to play next, when Geschosskopf called out.

"Emiko, play one of those creepy Earth songs!"

EasD9ZM.png

pgnC61Y.png

Emiko stood and thought about it for a moment... and at the same time, began to realize Geschosskopf was... was nervous! And it was building fast! She didn't know why... and for the life of her, she couldn't see it in his expression... but she could feel the tension building inside him like a steel trap...

Something was going to happen, Emiko suddenly realized... She didn't know what, but she knew... something was going to happen really, really soon...

Then she had a thought, and looked over at Chibi.

"Emiko knows what to play," she said with a devilish grin... "Emiko has perfect Earth song..."

Then she started playing a haunting arpeggio, and Chibi laughed...

"Yes... YES" she grinned. "Perfect!"

sjbRqTz.png

"This song dedicated to Badie!" Emiko cried out, just before Chibi began to sing in a wonderous voice...

"On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air..."

1f0EVw3.png

For the next few minutes Geschosskopf and Piper stood and listened, and were completely mesmerized. This was by far the most haunting Earth song they had heard... And Emiko... she was basking in... something! Not just the nervous anticipation she felt growing in Geschosskopf, and now Piper as well... 

There was something else... something powerful... something... gravioli!!!

"Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device"

Yes... Emiko felt it surging through her... gravioli... growing stronger... closer... and then she felt... YES!!! She knew who and what approached... she knew what she had to do... now! And she turned and looked at Chibi... and began to sing the last verse herself...

"Last thing she remember, she was
Running for the door
Had to find the passage back to the place she was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive...."

Then Emiko turned around, looked Saffron in the eye... and howled on the top of her lungs... straight into Saffron's mind!!!

"She can check out any time she like,
But Saffron never leave!"

oIatBHM.png

PDvhLdK.png

Just at that moment, the camp was bathed in a hideous, crimson light... while wave after wave of terror began to wash over Saffron... and then everything around them exploded in a fiery deluge of sparks and flame...

Kaa---BLAMMMMM!!!!!!!!

2z8Be9s.png

upJyPhR.png

bk3LUrl.png

EVgs43f.png

6xYTy8k.png

bP5lDtb.png

Everyone ducked for cover, except Emiko, who continued to play, despite the chaos erupting around her... and Saffron, who was paralyzed with a fear that continued to grow... And through her terror... she began to see something... nightmarish... approaching through the smoke and debris...

"No... NO!!!!!" she tried to scream... but nothing came out... "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

T3erpi4.png

lWguFVs.png

kavjvqx.png

"What... what in the Kraken's hell is that?" Saffron screamed in her mind... but despite her best effort, she couldn't reach the detonator button on her sleeve... she couldn't move any muscle! Her mind was filled with horror, as if every nightmare she had ever dreamed was coming back in full force, all at once! She wanted to run, to cry... to flee anywhere... but she was completely overcome, and paralyzed as the monstrous... thing... drew up in front of her, and a voice bellowed...

"Saffron Kerman... You have incurred my wrath!!!"

paN1Z2K.png

gjyQr9d.png

YBuseEB.png

Saffron didn't... couldn't... reply.... She could do nothing now but crawl as far as she could inside her own mind, and try to escape the fear that was still billowing inside her...

"Give up, Saffron," she thought heard Geschosskopf's voice... out there... somewhere... "Saffron???"

ijiVseE.png

But it was too late... Saffron was completely gone now... and made no effort to stop Geschosskopf as he walked over and gently removed the detonator switch from her arm.

"Saffy?" he asked softly. "Saff?"

"I fear we may have gone too far," Thompberry Kerman looked down at Saffron, and sighed. "Perhaps you should take her inside."

p8tziix.png

v9RZW00.png

The rest of the night was spent trying to restore the power, replace all the blown out light-bulbs, and clean up the mess left in the aftermath of Thompberry's brutal EMP attack. In the meantime, Harfield, Jandolin and Geschosskopf did what they could for the now semi-comatose Saffron, while Gem and Theo spent the night moving his once again withering hydroponic plants outside, where they could bask in Kerbol's light in the morning. During all this, each of the Platypus crew and passengers came out to pay their respects to Thompberry, for saving them from a horrible fate.

In the morning Gem and Theo had finished with the hydro-garden, and were excitedly catching up with Thompberry... who had ironically kidnapped them himself once, only to come full circle and be their savior now.

R31dwtT.png

"Wow, Uncle Thompy," Gem was thrilled. "This is really an anti-grav rover??? Can I go for a ride??? Please???"

"Yes dear, it is," Thompberry would have smiled, if he could. "But I'm afraid it's incredibly unstable, and difficult for even myself to control."

"How does it work?" Theo asked, amazed.

"There is a minute amount of pure graviolium in each of the four pods... which, when excited with negative gravioli particles..." Thompberry began, only to be cut off in mid-sentence.

"Turns them into floating boulders!" Theo finished excitedly.

"Essentially, yes," Thompberry finished. "But, unfortunately, the closer the pods get to each other, the more unstable they become... much like how magnets can repel each other if the wrong ends come close together."

"Ahhh, I get it." Gem said sadly. "But if they can make it work better???"

"Then, Gem, I promise you'll be the first to test it..."

"Yippee!!!" Gem squeeled... and would have hugged Thompberry, if it were possible.

sOxjvsx.png

About this time Bob and Bill came walking around to join Gem and Theo, after doing a complete assessment of the damage.

"Well, we've got good news and bad news..." Bill began.

xnGs9tK.png

hJIgIVi.png

"The good news is," Bob continued, "The explosive pack was totally fused when you attacked last night. Saffron couldn't have detonated it by any means."

"And the bad news?" Thompberry asked.

"The bad news," Bill finished. "Is you managed to fry almost half the circuitry in the Platypus along with the detonator."

'Ahhh, I see. Gentlekerbs, I am truly sorry," Thompberry apologized. "It appears the gravioli being emitted from the anti-grav pods greatly amplified my electro-magnetic pulse... I'm afraid I don't have a soldering iron built into this... craft. But if there is any way I can assist in repairs...."

"No... stop." Bill and Bob both cut him off.

"Please," Bob continued. "There is no need to apologize. You saved us from what could have been an unspeakable poofing... If you fried a few pc boards in the process, it's of no consequence..."

"Agreed," Bill finished. "Thank you..."

5qm0e3v.png

Then the dome hatch opened, and Geschosskopf came walking out, and up to Emiko, Chibi and Val, who were also standing outside, and listening in on the damage report.

vDylm2y.png

"How is she?" Val asked, genuinely concerned about Saffron.

"Honestly, she's a gibbering mess..." Geschosskopf shook his head, then turned and looked at Emiko. "What did you do to her?"

"Gramiko?" Val gasped. "Gramiko didn't do anything."

"Yes... she did," Geschosskopf looked at Emiko. "I felt... something... and it wasn't Thompberry... was it, Emiko?"

1mUC8u7.png

"Yes," Emiko admitted with a fierce smile. "Emiko got mad! Stupid Saffron scare Little-Tina... scare all of Emiko's friends... threatened to poof everyone... Emiko got really, really mad..."

"Yes... that part is obvious," Geschosskopf prompted... "But, Emiko... What exactly did you do???"

"Emiko felt Geschosskopf last night... felt Thompberry getting closer... felt everyone else getting really, really scared..." Emiko paused... then looked fiercely at Geschosskopf. "Saffron scared everyone... So when time was just right, Emiko took all the scared and gave it back to her!"

U25baVV.png

"By the gods..." Geo whispered. "You... you re-directed all that fear... back into Saffron??"

"You can do that?" even Chibi was astounded. "I didn't know you could do that..."

"Emiko didn't either," Emiko said proudly. "And Emiko NOT sorry she did it!"

"No... no, don't be..." Geschosskopf shook his head, trying to grapple with this new revelation. "Saffron brought it upon herself. There is no reason to be sorry..."

"No-one threaten Emiko Kerman's family... Emiko's friends... ever again!"

Emiko suddenly shouted defiantly into the morning sky... 

"No-one mess with Emiko Kerman... NO-ONE!!!"

EVMOoj9.png

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the Strange Tale of Emiko and Chibi Kerman, are still far, far from over...

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Go to Chapter 91
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim
I probably missed a bunch... send me a pm if you find anything...

5 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

I like your solution to the problem of thompberry being stuck in space.

Thanks! My original idea was to do something like a tank, with big, powerful tracks. But when I downloaded Kerbal Foundries, I discovered it also had the anti-grav pods. One look and I knew those were made for ol' Thompy!!!

But FYI... he wasn't kidding when he said they're unstable. They are, and not the easiest to move around with. But for screenshots I think the look is totally Thompberry.  :D

Just now, Garibaldi2257 said:

its a quote from the TV show some of these characters are inspired by.

Ah. I don't follow television, nor am I old enough to now some of the shows used.

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

an island in the middle of the Sea of Snark called Kokomo

So... sounds like they got there fast... then took it slow... [cue epic sax]

But his eyes... his eyes...

:wink:

Damn fool kid tried to saddle up to Saffron right after the kidnapping,

If she’s anything like that other Saffron, can’t say I blame him... <_<

20 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Ah that one. I've heard of it, but never watched it. Something to binge then!

If I can find someplace to watch it.....

If you don’t have Netflix it’s also on iTunes. And worth the coin if you get the boxed set from Amazon or even used off eBay. 

6 hours ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

its a quote from the TV show some of these characters are inspired by

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This is one that’s worth seeing :wink:I think you’d enjoy it.

@CatastrophicFailure is so right... this show was great... so naturally it got cancelled... :mad:

Emiko is very much inspired by one of the main characters: River...

48 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

A quick pencil sketch of Thompberry's new ride:

Screwed up the perspective a bit, and the composition leaves a lot to be desired, but I think it at least captures the essence of the thing.

I love it!!!!!!  :D

14 hours ago, Just Jim said:

he instantly knew exactly where he was without turning around. But turn around he did, and sure enough, there before him lie the bloated figure of the dead elder Kraken, and next to it... Werhner gasped... Thompberry's old ship!

Dang Thompberry.... leaving his space junk behind! :D 

"I am Werhner von Kerman, at your service..." Werhner tried to sound as calm as he could be, given the situation. "If I may... are you a... a Kraken?"

Yeah, we've all had to do this...be as calm as possible while being terrified...

"It's not hideous?" The entity possessing Parka laughed. "Some horrifying nightmare, with 100 meter tentacles, lined in razor sharp suckers, capable of rending flesh from bone in seconds???"

"Well... to be completely honest," Werhner replied. "Yes..."

"Ahhh..." Parka/Kraken chuckled. "You should meet my mate sometime..."

Ah, anyone who has an ex-wife understands this statement. I have two of them myself... Pretty funny exchange there, but not quite my favorite line.

"No," Werhner shook his head. "Thompberry is many things, and can be as dangerous as any Kraken legend I've heard tell... But I say to you again, I've known him nearly all his life, and one thing I can assure you, Thompberry is Thompberry. And to my knowledge, has never been... possessed... in any way that I know of."

Proof that there are those whose possession might actually improve their personality! No, seriously, this actually made me laugh. Probably one of my favorite lines in the entire chapter.

LVH8mSc.png  space-cowboys-11.jpg

Wow, a Tommy Lee Jones inspired Kerman! No wonder he's so kick-butt!

"Smile, Geo," Kuzzter called over. "For tomorrow we may poof..."

Makes me think of a song...

"What... what in the Kraken's hell is that?"

Ha, I've said this many of times to myself... but without the Kraken. :D

"Saffron Kerman... You have incurred my wrath!!!"

Man, you've done it now. You've liquided off Thompberry! You're toast...

Ahhh, I see. Gentlekerbs, I am truly sorry," Thompberry apologized. "It appears the gravioli being emitted from the anti-grav pods greatly amplified my electro-magnetic pulse... I'm afraid I don't have a soldering iron built into this... craft. But if there is any way I can assist in repairs...."

"No... stop." Bill and Bob both cut him off.

And there are those who you simply do not want to help. And yes, it is normally out of fear they will only make it worse...

"Yes... that part is obvious," Geschosskopf prompted... "But, Emiko... What exactly did you do???"

Sometimes it's better not to know exactly what was done... but rather simply to just take what was done on face value.

A great chapter and already looking forward to the next one!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.