The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Well, now that the krakens out of the bag, I hate to say it, but I will not be writing a volume 2. 
It potentially creates an awkward conflict of interest that I would rather avoid.
And I want to focus 100% on KSP2, without any distractions

Sorry...   :valsad:

Well maybe we'll get it one day after the dev for KSP 2 is finished! Who knows?

On 1/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, Just Jim said:

Well, now that the krakens out of the bag, I hate to say it, but I will not be writing a volume 2. 
It potentially creates an awkward conflict of interest that I would rather avoid.
And I want to focus 100% on KSP2, without any distractions

Sorry...   :valsad:

Well... it's sad to hear, but you've created such a massive, weird, and wonderful story on here, and I for one am very glad you did. Fair winds, Emiko Station.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Singhnaut said:

@Just Jim My friend is really good at art so I was thinking of making a comic book adaption of this. There will be 100 volumes, just like this. But I will alter the dialogue a bit. Do I have your permission?

@Singhnaut You mean here on the forum?  Sure, that sounds fun! 
Yeah, you'll have to alter the dialog to fit into a comic / graphic-novel format. But as long as you stick to the original story (and remember to mention me somewhere... lol) then yes, you have my permission. I look forward to reading it!!!  Thank you!!! :valhappy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 12:38 PM, Just Jim said:

I'm losing track of time...
                                                               King Diamond, "The Eye of the Witch"

Chapter 96
The Eye of the Witch

For what felt like micro-seconds that lasted an eternity, Werhner drifted in the weird weightless ether, until he felt himself falling gently back to the ground in front of Emiko's Magic Boulder at the Kerbal Space Center, after his third, and by far most shocking visit with the "Kraken Lord" on Bop.

VsKdTl9.png

Sp6phRh.png

"Odd..." he thought to himself as he landed. "Am I really falling? Or is it in my mind??? I must remember to check the security cameras sometime..."

So caught up was he that Werhner didn't notice for a few seconds he wasn't alone, until he turned and saw Kerenna and Obney Kerman standing and waiting patiently behind him.

kZdzqvg.png

inr5a9F.png

"Are you all right, professor?" Obney asked with a concerned voice as von Kerman walked quietly up to the waiting pair.

"Yes... yes, I'm fine, thank you." Werhner replied, then looked at Kerenna and asked softly. "How is Gene?"

XOs7xrp.png

f48qbMR.png

"Resting," Kerenna smiled weakly. "I... I hate doing it... but I slipped one of those pills the doctors gave me into his dinner snacks... and he was finally nodding off when I left a few minutes ago."

"Good..." Werhner smiled back. It had been three... no... no it was four days... since Gene had been stripped of his title, and placed on house arrest. But while several of the personnel had been rounded up and ordered to appear before the "Acting" Grand Kerbal Samantha Kerman... including many of his key staff and friends... so far she had not summoned Gene. And this just made him more anxious and depressed, until finally Kerenna broke down and asked the facility doctors what she could do, and they gave her "something to help him sleep".

As for the others... yesterday was the worst by far, when they Imperial Guard summoned both Angelo and Kuzzter Kerman to appear before her "Inquiry..."

Oh, how Kuzzter howled in defiance! Ironically enough, just after the brave rescue on Kokomo island, Angelo signed over a newly formed branch of his industries to Kuzzter, and even named it after the ex-pirate that had risked so much to save everyone.... Kuzzter Instruments.

But somehow word got out that Kuzzter Instruments was working on a top secret project, with the assistance and guidance of Kerbnet itself, designing a new and radically more powerful computer mainframe affectionately nicknamed the "Kray Kray"...  which was all the excuse the Grand Kerbal needed to put Kuzzter on her hit-list.

And in the end they had to nearly drag Kuzzter away... cursing and screaming obscenities at the guards and Samantha that would have made Piper Kerman proud.

For a moment no-one said anything, until everyone's headsets bleeped, and a call rang out.

"T-minus 15 minutes to launch."

4qSTpO1.png

"Oh, good, I didn't miss it.' von Kerman smiled weakly. 

"No... Uh... I really should get back to Gene," Kerenna smiled back, then unexpectedly reached out and gave Werhner a big hug, and whispered softly. "I love you, sir... thank you."

A1OgFgA.png

WVUxXYq.png

Before he could react, Kerenna turned and walked back inside.

"May I give you a ride over to Mission Control?" Obney asked after she was inside. "We still have time."

"What?" von Kerman shook his head. "Oh, no... thank you. But if you don't mind, would you give an old kerb a lift over to the observatory? I can watch just fine from there."

"Yes, sir," Obney nodded briskly. "It would be my pleasure. "

And with that he drove Werhner over to the rear of the observatory facility,  and near the entrance to the auditorium.

MEyFXVK.png

pjZ5vDG.png

2sRhG3a.png

sPPiitG.png

3E0gF8F.png

LaagrqB.png

"Thank you," Werhner smiled as he climbed back out of the Buffalo Bug. "Would you care to join me? You're more than welcome."

"I would like that very much, sir" Obney replied. "But I'm conducting a surprise Banshee drill during the launch."

"During the launch?" Werhner shook his head. Talk about catching his squad off-guard. "You are going to make an outstanding captain, young kerb. But don't push them too hard..."

"Understood, sir." Obney nodded. "Just hard enough..."

comUxeQ.png

c1RrmrV.png

"T-minus 10 minutes to launch."

"I'd better be going... I want to get a good seat," Werhner smiled, then turned and walked into the building. Obney just stood and watched... then turned back to the Buffalo Bug, and switched on his mic...

"Alpha Squad, Code: Banshee... repeat Code: Banshee. I want all personnel assembled in the SPH in 10 minutes!"

W60tEwa.png

M3nm5KR.png

UEcryYb.png

udF5nQ6.png

Inside it was dark, and quiet... and Werhner was grateful for the privacy as he walked down to the front row.

"Ahhh, best seats in the house," he chuckled, then sat down and hit his mic. "Would you please ask Dr. Linus to join me in the auditorium?"

n3RvaMQ.png

dlUq5Jl.png

UMGT1CF.png

For the next few minutes Werhner just sat and thought about what had occurred on Bop... the horrifying revelation concerning the fall of Laythe... and the ominous warning that the Kraken Queen might attempt... what did the Kraken Lord say???

"Another clumsy attempt at subterfuge..."

What was that supposed to mean??? Another clumsy attempt... wait...

Suddenly several recent, and not so recent, events came to mind... The appearance of Sanny the Ghost, trying to trap Emiko into going to Ovok... The rogue Mun-saucer Thompberry swore had been deactivated... the cut fuel line on Jeb and Val's Raptor returning from Duna....

All near fatal "accidents"... but luckily averted. But not accidents... not at all, and now he knew who... what... was behind all of them!

But what would she attempt next? If it wasn't an attack, then what??? He considered putting the base on alert, then rejected it. Everything around him seemed normal enough... well, as normal as it could be, given the circumstances. He would have been notified instantly if something were amiss... But so far, nothing. No need to panic everyone... at least not yet.

Just then his chain of thought was interrupted as the door behind him opened, and Dr. Linus Kerman, head of the R&D Science division, strolled down with a smile, and sat down next to Werhner.

"Did I miss it?"

cHAcCok.png

H2LU0yr.png

hLCiuwM.png

"No, we have a couple minutes..." Werhner smiled back, switching the widescreens to show the launchpad, and the monstrosity sitting atop it. It had no name, just the designation Supply-4, and as it's name suggested, was the fourth such rocket launched in as many days. The VAB crew had worked furiously to assemble them, in no real fashion, just throw them together and get them in orbit, before the "Acting" Grand Kerbal showed up and shut them all down.

Destination: Emiko Station.

T-minus 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Liftoff!!!

jFbY8xY.png

6gAVigX.png

3dcu2JB.png

The launch was perfect, despite it's tremendous size, and both Werhner and Dr. Linus were relieved when the first, and then second stage boosters fell cleanly away, and the supply ship began it's gravity turn. This was by far the largest type vehicle KASA had ever launched, a prototype actually, but Werhner didn't care. His only concern was getting as much of the parts and equipment needed to rebuild Emiko Station off-world as fast as possible, whether the "Acting" Grand Kerbal liked it or not!

goCHyci.png

CB26eXW.png

And before he knew it, the monster ship had finished circularizing it's orbit, and was deploying the huge shrouds to reveal the parts stored beneath it... Parts that would be later removed, and re-assembled into Emiko Station itself. Parts that were also now out of the reach of the "Acting" Grand Kerbal.

mX4uBPX.png

ARlGHaI.png

JFlGQvS.png

9gZ2Ar4.png

Qqk1fIT.png

"I never get tired of watching those," Linus smiled, then looked over at Werhner. "Now why did you really call me down here?"

"I talked with... it... again," Werhner shivered. "Earlier tonight. And it... well... I'm not sure how to begin..."

Then Werhner switched the widescreen's to display an image of Laythe... and he did his best to keep a steady voice as he explained to Linus about what he had discovered. 

t10YnDS.png

hUjTlM9.png

"Poofed? All of them, poofed???" Linus shook his head in disbelief. "No... No... I cannot accept that any intelligent being could be so..."

But his voice drifted off in stunned silence as Werhner switched to a topographical map... and Linus looked at it in a whole new light... and the truth suddenly became all to clear... 

"Noooo..."

uE2tjtc.png

CWT4H3H.png

"Goddess preserve us," Linus whispered. "That... that's an impact crater???  Almost as big as Laythe itself??? WHAT???"

"I can't explain it..." Werhner shook his head. "Something that large should have shattered Laythe in half. But there it is... plain as day... I don't know how... But... well..."

Werhner just drifted off, not really knowing what to think. It defied all laws of physics... but then so did the Magic Boulders... and the Monoliths.

"And this thing... this Kraken Lord... he said once there were more than just these... Laytheans???"

"Yes," Werhner whispered. "5 races, it said... So if there was us, and the Laytheans, then who... or what... were these other three races? And on what worlds did they live???"

p0HdY9u.png

"I... I don't know..." Werhner scrolled through some of the planets and moons with atmospheres in the Kerbol system, but all seemed impossible.

Duna was just a desert, and seemed completely sterile. Eve, on the other hand, had a think and poisonous atmosphere, but also vast oceans and lakes of nearly pure explodium... which was not only highly volatile, but also an organic molecule!!! But Harfield had been to Eve, and saw no signs of life.

JBhUAOM.png

3BOz4CA.png

Then there was the Sarnus system. They knew from Sanny the Ghost that a monolith was on Ovok. but Ovok was tiny, and could never support life. And nearby Eeloo... which had no atmosphere, but most likely harbored an ocean of liquid water under it's vast ice sheets. Oceans life could evolve in... maybe???

But of all Sarnus's moons... the most suspect was quite obviously Tekto. Curious and bizarre, it had a thick atmosphere, and dark oceans of an unknown liquid... and most important, according to Emiko, was home to a strange and terrible... city??? The Kerbs in the lab called it the "Kraken Necropolis"... but what was it, really???

4qAiXXU.png

m5tO7dM.png

0IeVH2V.png

MpmadyP.png

Finally there was Neidon, and Thatmo... a small moon that evidence suggested also harbored an underground ocean similar to Eeloo, only Thatmo also appeared to have an atmosphere. Unfortunately no probes were ever sent out that far, so their data was sketchy, and most of what they were going by was still just theory.

ZLKHRf5.png

"I don't know..." Werhner began... but was suddenly cut off by the main SPH tower.

"Banshee B-7, this is tower control... why are you leaving the hanger??? You do NOT have clearance..."

"Someone shut those hanger doors!!!"

"Too late, sir..."

"Banshee B-7... do you read... who is that??? Banshee B-7... BANSHEE-B-7 RESPOND!!!"

Suddenly a horrible thought occurred to him... and Werhner switched over to the tower camera to watch the scene unfold, and switched on his mic.

"Banshee B-7..." Werhner said softly. "It's von Kerman. Obney... talk to me... what is the meaning of this?"

kOdSIT4.png

6rUFju6.png

"Banshee B-7 to von Kerman," Obney replied softly. "I'm... I'm sorry, sir. We talked it over... and we both agree, Gene cannot be allowed to fall into her... IT'S... hands!"

vLLF4BL.png

"It???" von Kerman was confused. "Explain."

"IT! THEM!!!" another voice cut in... the trembling voice of Kerenna Kerman!!! "Those... things!!! What if... What if the "Acting" Grand Kerbal... is one of them!"

"Kerenna, listen," von Kerman now understood her fear, and tried to calm her down. "There is no evidence to suggest..."

"No!" Kerenna nearly screamed. "Sir... please... She's acting all crazy... and I... I can't take that chance... Not Gene.... I'll do anything... sacrifice anything... I don't care..."

V6RWBqY.png

"Kerenna... please... you don't have to..." von Kerman tried his best to talk her down. "Let me speak with Gene."

"I'm sorry, sir," Obney answered instead. "I'm afraid Gene is... is still sleeping... and I... I hereby resign my commission."

And without another word he slammed the throttle to full and executed a nearly suicidal turn onto the runway.... without taxiing to the end first!!!

JabrgDj.png

45OAB6H.png

BJ10Fbc.png

"Banshee B-7... STOP!!! Obney, you'll never make it!" the tower watch screamed to no avail as Obney pushed the engines to critical, and pulled back on his stick as hard as he could.... and felt himself sink back further and further into his seat as the G-forces began to crush into him, and his vision began to blur...

For several terrifying seconds Werhner sat frozen, horrified they would plunge off the runway into a fiery poofing... but then the Banshee began to lift off, and a howl rang out through the Space center... a howl of... of... could it be??? The space center personnel were... cheering!!!

N7emgyV.png

iLtjbDj.png

EZ9kdwp.png

BHi6haH.png

Throughout the space center chants of began to ring out...

"Go, Go, Go, Go!!!"

True, what had just happened violated every rule in the book... and under other circumstances Obney and Kerenna would have been instantly court marshaled and thrown into the deepest borrow available for the rest of their lives. But this... well, the simple truth was Obney and Kerenna just did what every other Kerb in the facility secretly wanted to do... save Gene from the "Acting" Grand Kerbal.

BHi6haH.png

Once they had achieved orbit, Gene began to wake up... but was still groggy, and didn't realize what had just happened... or where he really was...

"Ohhh, look at the pretty stars..." he whispered as he peered out the window... "I feel all... floaty... Where are we?"

"Safe, dearest..." Kerenna smiled back. "Safe..."

mpO2pw2.png

3er4S92.png

qC8voTq.png

wiVoTX6.png

Back at the space center Werhner watched the Banshee fly off, then paused the live-feed, and just sat there trying his best to decide what to do next... and failing miserably!

Deep, deep inside... he felt as the rest of the space center did... His best friend Gene was safe, even if he didn't really believe Samantha was possessed. True, she was behaving quite erratic. But they had now learned possession by one of those... monstrosities... has obvious side-effects, the weird, dead eyes being the most obvious. There was no-way one of those could possess the "Acting" Grand Kerbal without anyone noticing.

Still, Gene was beyond her grasp, at least for the time being, and for that he couldn't be mad at either Obney or Kerenna... But officially... Werhner dreaded when word got back to Samantha. Like it or not, he would be forced to break both of them... something he just didn't think he could do.

degnQIn.png

"I... should get back to the lab," Linus said softly, and without waiting for an answer, quietly got up and left poor Werhner alone to his thoughts...

PEaLe1C.png

kLB0jwQ.png

"What to do... what to do???"

For nearly an hour Werhner just sat and tried to come to grips with everything... The "Acting" Grand Kerbal's temper-tantrum... the Krakens... Laytheans... Gene... and, most important... Emiko... Gods how he missed her, and wished he could rely on her somewhat off-beat, but always sound, wisdom right now.

Finally, with no-more solution than before, Werhner got up and wandered outside into the pre-dawn morning...

s8pymqf.png

NqvWcfA.png

jJl9xO5.png

Outside Kerbol was just starting to turn the horizon red... and it was utterly silent... not even the platypus's down near the shore were chattering... or the birds singing... or the moonkrickets chirping... nothing... deathly quiet...  far, far too quiet!!!

And Werhner instantly froze as a cold, cold wind seemed to suddenly blow up out of no-where... and he thought he heard... something... coming from the water tanks a little ways from him... 

euO0rvK.png

1THZBl7.png

What was that??? Something was standing atop the tanks... Werhner felt it even more intensely, and strained to make out who, or what, it was... then finally thought he recognized it.

"Sanny??? Saffron???" Werhner called out, but got no reply... at first... 

Until a sort of chittering laugh seemed to both scream and weep through his mind... and Werhner knew instantly this was indeed Saffron, only Sanny was no longer possessing her... the thing inside her now was something far, far more terrible... and dangerous...

HsVky9S.png

vf8Sec7.png

As carefully as he could, Werhner reached down and switched on his microphone and whispered softly....

"Code 7... repeat... code 7... NOW!!!"

But his eyes never left... it... and in his mind the laughing/screaming/howling continued to grow stronger... as if there were not just one mind, but many, all now possessing Saffron at once...

And suddenly Werhner remembered... and he know just who... what... this one was... and the laughing-howl grew to a cacophony in his mind... and through it all he remembered the last warning spoken to him by the Kraken Lord earlier the night before...

"Beware... beware the handmaiden, von Kerman... for that one is both possessor and possessed, and is truly insane..."

iw7yyl0.png

PhazwjM.png

tD7hEab.png

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the strange tale of Emiko and Chibi Kerman, are still far, far from over...

Go to Chapter 97
Return to Index

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! LINUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (If you didn't already know he is my favorite kerb). I can't believe I am so close to finishing this (then I will make the comic). This whole thing reminds me of lost in space, and this chapter in my opinion was the best yet.

On 6/13/2018 at 4:27 PM, Just Jim said:

I say to you againe, doe not call upp Any that you can not put downe;
by Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up somewhat against you,
whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use.
                                                                                  H.P. Lovecraft, "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward"

Chapter 97
Cry Havoc

"Evac-17 to Platypus. Evac-17 to Platypus, do you read?"

t1A3tIQ.png

It had now been over two hours since Werhner von Kerman called for the KSC to be evacuated. Because of the events at Ground Zero, and the KSC tracking station so many years earlier, KASA had a very organized evacuation plan, and all the personnel were now moving to a safe distance, with the exception of Evac-17, which was waiting as a designated rendezvous point just over 25 kilometers south of the space center.

"Evan-17, this is Platypus," Gem Kerman called back from the cockpit. "I have your beacon on my screens. We are currently passing south of Gilli-gan island, ETA 40 minutes..."

3KcNi4y.png

Sitting next to her, Chibi Kerman looked at Gem in a sort of disbelief.

"What... what did you just say?" Chibi asked in a hushed voice.

"Uhhh... I said we're passing south of Gilli-gan Island..." Gem replied slowly, then smiled. "Oh, that's right... You're not from Kerbin. Gilli-gan was the goddess Minimusea's little platy-kitten... Really cute, but not too bright, and always getting lost.... Chibi... Chibi... what's wrong??? Why are you shaking you head like that???"

"Never... never mind," Chibi shook her head. "I'll tell you later..."

aIvBSeK.png

Above them Emiko and Val were doing their best to stay calm, despite not hearing from Werhner von Kerman for nearly two hours. Two long, long hours... and nothing.

It had actually been a lovely morning... the sun had just risen over the eastern sea, and the Platypus was making good time on the last leg of it's circumnavigation of Kerbin... In the back, the crew was once again engaged in a game it had been playing the last few days...

What to do with the "Acting" Grand Kerbal...

XkOlyLu.png

"I say we put her in the back seat of our newest prototype jet," Theo called out. "And let my sister take it for a spin!!!"

"Only if you make her clean up the mess after..." Gem called back with a laugh.

"Ewwww...." 

"We could strand her on Kokomo..." LoVar volunteered. "Oh, wait... people visit Kokomo... How about Dres?"

"But Captain LoVar," Theo chuckled. "I thought you told me you didn't believe Dres really existed..."

"All the more reason to send her there!!!"

W1rkETp.png

"Oh, how about we send Thompberry after her?" Harfield laughed.

"...and Piper!" Gem chimed back in.

"Piper and Thompberry both???" 

"Why not?" Chibi decided to join in the fun. "There's a saying on Earth: The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

"See, the aliens get it!!!"

uQQHJdt.png

In back Piper just growled. 

"I say we take a big, nasty sea-bug and shove it right up her..."

"PIPER!" Jandolin interrupted with a huff... "Piper Kerman!!! How... How could you??? That is just so... mean.... How could you even think of doing something so cruel to a poor, defenseless sea-bug..."

And the Platypus exploded with laughter.

4HeCxAg.png

But up in front, in the VIP cabin, Val noticed Emiko was growing more and more anxious in the last few minutes... until she finally exploded in a totally uncharacteristic scream!

"Shut-up... Shut-up.... SHUT-UP!!!"

HslHTpK.png

Instantly the Platypus went silent, until Jandolin whispered softly into her microphone.

"Oh, Emiko... We are so... so sorry... We weren't thinking..."

"No... not that.... Shut-up... shhhhhhhhhhhh........." Emiko cocked her head, as if listening to something too far away to hear... "Something's wrong..."

taSW99t.png

Just then Werhner von Kerman's frantic whisper came across the speakers...

"Code 7... repeat... code 7... NOW!!!"

For a second it was pandemonium... the crew all started screaming and crying and calling out in an absolute panic...

o5Udoi3.png

QEe4lsw.png

Only this time it was Thompberry that shouted everyone down as his strange, mechanical voice ripped across the speakers and drowned out the terrified crew.

"Silence... please...."

vtHigWC.png

"Please... my friends... calm down." Thompberry lowered his volume back to normal. "I am currently interfaced with both Kerbnet and the Tracking Station, and there is nothing... repeat... NOTHING on the screens."

"Then why call a code-7?" Jandolin asked, trying her best to steady her voice. 

"My guess, gentle Jandolin," Thompberry surmised. "Is von Kerman still wanted the center evacuated as fast as possible... but why???

h55Qg2A.png

Then the other calls began to come in... frantic... terrified... as the space center began to realize just what the real danger was.... and why they needed to flee!!!

"Oh my Gawdddddessss.... Did you SEE that???

"Sanny??? Oh... Oh, no... you... you're not Sanny!!!!"

"Stay back!!!"

"It's... it's in my mind!!!"

"Ewww... Ewwwwww  I... can feel it.... I'm gonna be sick!"

"Blarffffffff...."

"Doctor von Kerman... It has the DOCTOR!"

"Run Run Run...."

"KRAKEN!"

"KRAKEN!"

"KRAKENNN!"

WK9OPy7.png

It was now 3 hours since last contact, Kerbol had dropped below the horizon, and the familiar shores of home were finally coming into view.

"Platypus, this is Evac-17, we have a visual. There is a small flat area of beach just below our position, we will give you as much light as possible."

"Roger, Evac-17," Gem called back. "ETA 5 minutes."

QR4DIA4.png

4WUg3dm.png

NVJFN6n.png

XNV32Fa.png

Once they were on-shore, Gem powered down the massive tornado fans, engaged the parking brakes, and waited for the evacuation vehicle to descend the small hill it was perched on, and pull up along side the now somewhat battered Platypus.

QlxKRFs.png

fVQy7Vq.png

eoAB4dE.png

As soon as it had stopped, Dr. Linus, accompanied by Walt, Mortimer and Gus Kerman, climbed out to greet the exhausted crew of the Platypus.

jNtGEhw.png

cDCfMu9.png

"Where is Werhner?" Emiko demanded before anyone else could say a word.

"We... we're sorry," Linus said sadly, handing Emiko his K-pad. "This is the last image we have... We think she... it... has him."

NF0dSGW.png

fWsZ6er.png

"And the others?" Val was almost too afraid to ask. "The rest of the personnel?"

"They're safe..." Walt smiled wanly. "Well... sort of..."

"Sort of?" Jeb and Val both asked at the same time. "Explain."

"Well, despite the panic," Mort began. "The evacuation went exactly as planned, and the personnel are to be commended...."

"But..." Jeb looked at him suspiciously.

"But one vehicle apparently broke formation, and is now missing. Evac-22."

NF0dSGW.png

"And just who was on this vehicle?" Val asked, already suspecting the answer, as was Jeb. 

"Alpha squad," Walt replied softly. "Along with Commander Geschosskopf."

"Of course..." Jeb shook his head. 

"It makes perfect sense," Val agreed with him.

"What makes sense?" Dr. Linus looked over. "Do you know what happened to them?"

"They left..." Jeb smiled sadly. "They had to..."

"What? Why?" Linus still didn't understand.

"I know things have been crazy," Val tried to explain. "But think. Just before the evacuation Kerenna and Obney stole a prototype SSTO and spirited Gene into orbit..."

"Linus," Jeb continued. "That SSTO was the newest, most advanced jet we have... and there is no-way Obney could have prepped it on his own..."

"Wait... WAIT!!!" Gus interrupted. "Obney called an emergency drill just before... that little sneak!!!"

"Oh... I see...." Linus shook his head. "The squad... they knew what he was going to do... didn't they?"

"There is no-way they couldn't have," Val said sadly. "And now they're running from my mother..."

"And if Geschosskopf is with them..." Jeb looked at Val hopefully. "They have a chance... Geo is a master at staying hidden... He'll keep them safe."

"But what about Werhner?" Emiko stomped her foot. "Emiko is going in to get him."

cSNaliW.png

"What? No!" Val objected. "Gramiko, I love the professor as much as you do, but this is obviously a trap!"

"So?" Emiko looked her dead in the eye. "First way to avoid a trap is know there's one to begin with!!!"

"Oh, good one!" Chibi smiled. "So we're springing the trap?"

"Yup..." Emiko smiled grimly. "Emiko sick of Kraken things..."

ZAErgZQ.png

"You'll need a driver," Gem said softly.

"What... NO!!!" Jandolin squealed. "You're NOT going..."

"Mother, stop." Gem said firmly. "Just stop... I just drove around the planet!!! Including Ground Zero... Captain Jeb and Auntie-V are needed here, with the evacuees.... Mother... I have to do this!"

"Well, I'm not letting my sister go in alone," Theo began to volunteer, but was cut off but a rock hard voice behind him.

"No... I'm going," Piper said in a voice like granite, then looked over at Jandolin. "I'll keep her safe."

pLRSUAT.png

"Besides," Piper smiled wickedly up at Thompberry. "Someone has to keep an eye on Pickle-Brain..."

"Ahhh, dearest Piper..." Thompberry chuckled back. "If we're going to be poofed... I can't think of anyone I'd rather be with...'

nbQBp6i.png

"I still don't like my baby anywhere near that... that... thing!!!"

"Mother..." Gem said softly. "It's for the Professor.... I have to try and get him away from... it."

I... I know," Jandolin cried softly. "I... I am so proud of you... be safe..."

And without another word she turned and ran to the evacuation vehicle, and climbed inside, before she broke down completely.

"You also be safe," the Rocklady walked over and gave Piper a big hug. "I'll go sit with Jan..."

"And you keep the crew safe," Piper whispered back, then watched as the rest of the crew transferred from the Platypus to the Evac vehicle.

TarJMWh.png

Then the Laytheans climbed out of the Platypus, and Linus looked over in stunned disbelief.

"They... they are real..."

Yes, Laytheans are real," Emiko smiled back.

"Dr. von Kerman said you... encountered... them. But I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit I only half-believed it was true..."

QqMbVZn.png

Lg5vtd6.png

But instead of boarding the Evacuation vehicle, the Laythean group walked between the two vehicles and formed a small circle while the last of the crew climbed on board.

"OK..." Chibi shook her head. She and Emiko were the last to board, but didn't quite know what to do about their strange, new friends. "Do we just leave them there?"

"Emiko... doesn't really know..."

IW8LZP6.png

CFGW5ov.png

"I suppose they know what they're doing..." Chibi wondered out loud. "But we can't wait around to figure it out, dear."

"Agreed," Emiko nodded. "Time to save Werhner."

And without further hesitation they climbed aboard the Platypus and strapped themselves in while Gem brought the tornado fans online, headed back into the water, and up the coast towards the KSC.

QKBfKtg.png

FfEQOz4.png

6oqVHZg.png

NppbKkA.png

"I think it best if we stay off the wheels until necessary," Gem called out as they headed up the shoreline. 

"Agreed," Piper nodded.

For the next few minutes no-one said a word, until the KSC... home... finally came into view, and Gem pulled the Platypus back on shore, and headed towards the space center...

PgxGjXc.png

DSnwR1G.png

cJOezTv.png

Up in the VIP cabin Chibi looked over at Emiko.

"Soooo.... Do we have a plan?"

"Nope..." Emiko said grimly. "Get Emiko near her Magic Boulder... then pray..."

For a moment Chibi said nothing, then she began to whisper softly...

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
“Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!” he said.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

bAG2JYc.png

All around them was so very still... still as the grave... even the Platypii down at the beach were hidden in their deepest burrows...

Not a sound... nothing.

Gem powered down the tornado fans and slowly drove through the deserted R&D center, until they were finally within sight of Emiko's Magic Boulder... and the two lone figures standing before it.

MopjdIz.png

3pWKFhU.png

gZtdyII.png

KQp2knl.png

vSoEkrK.png

iJkNAMx.png

"No... NO!!!" Emiko screamed as she climbed down from the Platypus and saw the nightmare before her. "LET WERHNER GO!!!"

1rjzn5r.png

7kkQxnn.png

Clearly Werhner was fighting the Kraken Handmaiden's hold with all his might... but to no avail.

Until the Kraken saw a second one of these pathetic primitives walk up and join the hated Emiko...  and it reached out with a tentacle of thought, and probed the second creatures mind for just the briefest of moments...

And recoiled in stunned disbelief and horror!!!

XtA0cqW.png

"Oh, look. I think it remembers me..." Chibi smiled, then called and waved to the hissing Kraken. "Hi!!! Long time no see... you ugly ol' monster!"

YvijccI.png

How... HOW??? The Kraken was totally aghast... That... abomination... the Hive-Queens daughter... here??? Impossible!

Such was the Krakens amazement and disbelief it temporarily lost it's hold on Werhner... and totally ignored him when he ran past it and into Emiko's waiting arms!

if3WhaB.png

3KZCOIa.png

BaiNBdl.png

4aLAXiG.png

3qzcFR3.png

"Oh.... Werhner," Emiko tried so very hard no to cry. "Emiko so scared..."

"I... I know..." Werhner whispered as he hugged tight. "So was I..."

"Uh... guys?" Chibi hated to interrupt, but couldn't tear her eyes from the Kraken, still hissing and snarling and desperately trying to understand..

XdpzsFF.png

A thousand years... It had been a thousand years ago, on an entirely different planet, that the Kraken had been hunting this Princess of Abominations... A thousand years ago when it all came crashing down... all because of this... this... Emiko!!!

"There is some... thing... inside her..." Werhner whispered in horror. "I could feel it... a monster... inside... with her!!!"

"Sanny-ghost?" Emiko whispered back. "Maybe Sanny-ghost or Saffron... or both?"

"I... I don't know..." Werhner shook his head... "The Kraken Lord said she was both possessor and possessed..."

2yox5qj.png

And it was... it was... Possessed and insane... because of this... Emiko!

Then Werhner's vision began to blur... and he began to actually see as the Kraken... and the thing clawing at it... thought back to that fateful night on the Planet Earth...

jm4w7y6.png

It had been just a few days after her Mistress, the Empress of Krakens, learned the true identity of this "Chibi", that she was not only half ET, she was the hive-queens daughter... and an ET princess!!! And the most delicious part... she was completely oblivious to her own identity!

But just as the Empress laid a deviously brilliant trap to draw out the Hive-Queen, this Chibi was rescued by some other unknown power!

Oh, how her mistress raved! And then ordered her Handmaiden to send out her newly acquired thralls and track down the abomination... and exterminate her! But despite their best efforts, the princess had seemingly vanished without a trace.

Then, after a long and terrible fight, the Kraken handmaiden's thralls located and captured Chibi's relative, a human calling itself Nick, and dragged him before her mistress.

X93aftO.png

KVm0VyO.png

The little primitive Emiko was furious, and the Krakens enjoyed watching her scream and protest as they... interrogated... Nick. But much to their amazement, this human turned out to be incredibly resilient, and the Handmaiden was growing exhausted trying to break him. 

She had already made a terrible mistake in underestimating her host... this Badie... when it possessed her. At the time Badie seemed weak and terrified, and a perfect victim.... but the Handmaiden soon learned Badie was anything but weak, or timid... Oh, no... Badie had quite literally clawed and scratched herself up through the ranks of the music industry... an industry that tended to eat it's own young for breakfast... And she had earned the name "Badie" by never giving up, or quitting...

And she was quite literally clawing at the mind of the Kraken now possessing her... and the strain was starting to take it's toll.

"Your efforts are futile..." her master, the Kraken Lord, whispered horribly, drifting in and out of view. "This human will not submit..."

To Emiko the Kraken Lord appeared to be another kind of spooky ghost... and she watched as it drifted over closer to her, whispering behind it's back at the Empress and Handmaiden...

"Your pitiful attempts to break this human begin to bore me..."

MzxBjmL.png

M2nxxPG.png

"Is spooky ghost bored?" Emiko looked over at the Kraken Lord as it drew near. "Emiko bored, too... Stupid Kraken Queen!!!

The truth was Emiko was desperate to do anything to get them to leave Nick alone... and then she spotted a Piano... or something that looked quite like one, in the back corner of the old Raven's Rest church. It wasn't much... but maybe she could distract the Krakens... or annoy them... just enough for them to let Nick go. Anything was worth a try...

"Emiko play a song for spooky ghost," Emiko said as she walked over to the keyboard, sat down... and the old church exploded with sound!!

aozZR7a.png

oYOdVp9.png

What Emiko didn't realize... nor did the Krakens... is that one thing most every house of worship on the entire planet, regardless of religion... One thing they all have in common is their love of music... and this was no exception. High above her head two massive speakers roared to life, and Emiko grinned as she tore into one of Badie's favorite pieces... 

Chopin's Etude Op 10 No.12.... The Revolutionary...

0ec08Qg.png

But then something truly extraordinary happened... the louder and more intense the music got... the stronger Badie grew... as if her spirit was feeding on the music... feeding... and growing stronger... until with a scream the Kraken lost control completely, and Badie regained partial control of her body!!!

"Oh... Oh... it's on..." She hissed at the Kraken Empress with death in her eyes... and they dove straight at her like an uncaged wildcat!!!

MnHLH2n.png

XaoaZi3.png

Emiko immediately jumped up and began to cheer Badie on, while the Kraken Lord watched with some small measure of amusement...

And for a few moments it appeared Badie had the upper hand, and was actually winning...

wGAi1Sl.png

RkQ3rbM.png

But then the Kraken Empress recovered from her shock... and the sky exploded with a thunderous crash, and the entire building was engulfed in bolts of terrible power... all focused on poor Badie!!!

aFOMyj7.png

PLs5g9A.png

"NOOOO!!!" Emiko wailed... But the Kraken Empress just laughed...

"Awww.... was this one your friend???" The Empress scoffed... "Then it might amuse you to know my minion will recover it's strength... once this one is dead!!!"

And she hit Badie, and the Handmaiden still inside her mind, with an even harder bolt... And the last thing the Handmaiden remembered was hearing Emiko's sobs... and the laughs of her mistress... and then terrible blackness...

yI7AetY.png

T2itlPC.png

g0v77e3.png

bK8j5Py.png

Back at the Kerbal Space Center, Emiko looked as if she was about to burst into tears.

"Mein Gotte," Werhner whispered softly. "No wonder you can't talk about it..."

m1kbGfi.png

"Emiko... Emiko... murder-poofed her..." Emiko started crying... "Emiko didn't know... never meant..."

"OK, now STOP!" Chibi suddenly interrupted.

"But..." Emiko whimpered.

"No," Chibi stomped. "We talked about this. What happened was NOT your fault! There was no-way you could have know... Besides, You gave her a chance to go down fighting... I... I think she would have wanted it that way."

Meanwhile the Kraken Handmaiden had just spotted something else, behind Emiko and the Abomination... Such was her amazement with the discovery of the Princess it had almost escaped her notice... Something perched high atop the vehicle they had arrived in... Something... familiar...

A Sentinel!!!

JtQddKd.png

zXE1W27.png

A Sentinel... here? On this primitive rock of a world??? Sentinels were so very rare through out the galaxy... How could there be one here? Did her mistress know of it's existence? Or the Kraken Lord???

No... this... this was too much, and slowly, through the screaming of the monster still inside her, the Handmaiden began to suspect that she, and not Emiko, was the one that had fallen into a trap.

And the handmaiden looked up, and tried to reach out past the howls of the other, and contact her mistress for guidance.

"Oh..." Werhner whispered softly. "This can't be good..."

64BuKy0.png

8Pl9jEa.png

rZr36KW.png

Meanwhile, back at the evacuation rendezvous point, Jeb and Val had been monitoring the situation, but weren't quite sure what to make of it, when Val caught a movement out of the corner of her eye.

"Our friends are up to something," she said softly to Jeb as she saw the Laytheans expand their circle, and slowly raise their arms...

aBrY4Ex.png

zCo4ygs.png

And in an instant, apparently without the assistance of any Magic Boulder, there was a bright flash, and the Laytheans were gone...

d3FLmUP.png

re9nnxG.png

W59DXCY.png

And back at the space center, before the Handmaiden could make mental connection with her Empress, there was another brilliant flash... or rather 6 flashes, and the Kraken suddenly found itself surrounded.... by the worst of enemies!!!!

BaNXlsX.png

rwzT5rv.png

QMkYcGY.png

The Handmaiden looked back and forth, and while it seemed placid on the outside, inside it suddenly began to panic... and the creature inside it howled in glee... and before it could react, the Laytheans... those long thought extinct enemy of the Krakens, focused their combined might... and the Handmaiden howled in agony as it felt it's mind being pulled apart from the inside out!!!

AuP7Cbf.png

8RQniu3.png

STxyCRY.png

HKOueaQ.png

As Emiko, Chibi and Werhner watched in facination, Piper suddenly came runnning up to them, screaming!!!

"Ahhhh.... I... I can see it... in my mind... It's... I can see it!!!"

ZSDuvwn.png

0Kg9elW.png

"What do you see?" Werhner asked, quite aware of Pipers sensitivity to things such as this...

"It's... It's like a squishy Kraken... only in my mind..." Piper tried to put what she was seeing into words. "Those other ones are holding it... but it's not enough... parts... thought-tentacles... are still flailing about... It's... disgusting... and I don't think they can hold it!!!"

"Thought-tentacles???" Chibi had a sudden revelation... "Thought-tentacles!!! Of course! It's a cephalopod!!!"

"What?" von Kerman wasn't familiar with the term.

"Cephalopod... Earth term for a... a Kraken..." Chibi grinned. "And something I learned in school... Cephalopod's have 8 brains!!!"

"That's IT!!!" Emiko suddenly yelled in glee..." Kraken thing has eight brains... and eight minds!!!

And she began to run towards the Laytheans, and the now pinned and howling Handmaiden, as fast as she could.

"Chibi, come on... Emiko knows what to do!!!"

6COoz57.png

puG5PcL.png

feEmpAO.png

By now the Handmaiden was in agony, and the thing inside with her growing in strength, and rage, by the second... and it looked like it's skull was literally being torn from it's head...

And when she felt close enough, Emiko stopped, and yelled over to Chibi...

"Now... PUSH!!!"

And she focused all she had on the Kraken... and felt it flailing about in her mind... and with all her strength, Emiko... GRABBED it!!!

6rQA0oi.png

"Harder... HARDER!!!" Emiko screamed...

"I... I can't" Chibi cried back... "I'm not strong enough..."

"Yes, Chibi is..." Emiko screamed... "Use Magic Boulder... It will make Chibi stronger..."

Ec0Ii6u.png

"Use the Boulder???" Werhner whispered to himself, then had a huge epiphany, and turned to yell back at Thompberry... "Of course!!! Thompberry... They're drawing their power from the Boulder!!! You know what to do!!!"

PG4wMXu.png

But Thompberry had also made the connection, and was already hard at work rerouting systems, and charging his reserve energy banks... and bringing his gravioli emitters online!!!

Oh, yes... After his... revelation... on Bop all those years ago, Thompberry had been quietly working on perfecting a working gravioli emitter... a project not unknown to Werhner... and this time it took only seconds to bring this one on-line... a much, much more refined and powerful version than the one he had used on Bop... and focus it directly on the Magic Boulder.

"Gem Kerman," Thompberry called down. "Strap yourself in tight, my child... I.. I can't say I know what will happen..."

"That's OK, Uncle Thompy," Gem called back up. "I trust you... just take that monster down!!!"

LTc2ekB.png

GcufiWY.png

"Hold on... Engaging emitters in three... two... one... Fire!!!"

The Kraken howled in agony as a monstrous surge of power ripped through the Laytheans... and the alien inside shredded it apart... and after nearly 32,000 years... the Warrior Kraken General that had extinguished entire solar systems... Handmaiden to the Kraken Empress herself...

Died...

And the KSC was engulfed in an emerald inferno that could be seen for kilometers in all directions...

fsplUmi.png

5SrnC4i.png

itpqWXg.png

ClLVG1v.png

eZw5Xls.png

"Evac-17 to Platypus... Evac-17 to Platypus... Respond, please..." Val cried... "Respond... PLEASE!!!"

For several long, agonizing seconds there was nothing... then a weak voice crackled over the speakers, barely audible through the static...

"Evac-17... we're OK..." Gem's voice crackled... "I... I don't believe..."

And the signal went dead again.

As she looked out, Gem saw Emiko, Chibi, Werhner, and Piper, but no sign of the Laytheans... they had apparently disappeared in the psychic blast. The Kraken, or what was left, seemed to be curled up in a ball on the ground... and Gem watched nervously as Emiko and Chibi slowly walked up to it...

6fo3DBH.png

jITgktg.png

zTPxYj0.png

"Sanny-ghost???" Emiko called softly. "Saffron???"

Neither Emiko or Chibi knew quite what to do. The figure on the ground looked like neither Sanny or Saffron... and definitely didn't sound like either of them! She just lie there on her hands and knees, shaking her head back and forth and sobbing... and then mumbling what sounded like complete gibberish to both Werhner and Piper.

But Chibi and Emiko both recognized it, and gasped in amazement...

This sobbing Kerbette was speaking Terran!!!

"No ... No ... No ... haz que se detenga ... haz que se detenga ... por favor ..."

Chibi felt faint...

"I... I know that voice!!!" she barely could breath... "Emiko... do you realize who... who it is???"

"Yes..." Emiko whispered... suddenly putting all the pieces together... Most important... Why she had heard the singing in her mind for the last several days... It wasn't coincidence... It was... was.....

"It's her..." Emiko began crying... "Emiko thought she had murder-poofed her... but she held on... She held on!!!"

And Emiko began singing softly to the terrified Kerbette... in Terran.

"Somewhere over the rainbow way up high..."

Next to her Chibi joined in...

"There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby..."

And then the two began to sing together

"Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true..."

In front of them the Kerbette stopped sobbing, and looked up slowly, while Emiko and Chibi continued to sing to her softly...

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me..."

tvXeccL.png

cfmYJv0.png

"Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh, why can't I?"

o2hpfLy.png

"Where..." the Kerbette tried to get to her feet... "I... Where is this... I... I'm so confused..."

"It's OK" Emiko smiled. "Emiko and Chibi are friends, remember?"

"Emiko..." the Kerbette tried hard to remember... it somehow seemed familiar, but like a dream... "Chibi???"

"Yes... YES," Chibi beamed... "It's Chibi, remember? We were friends... on Earth!!!"

k8dwFW1.png

Behind them Werhner recognized a couple of the Terran words, and suddenly made the connection... and felt his knees grow weak...

"Donnerwetter.. It's her... "

"Who?" Piper whispered back. "If that's not Sanny, or Saffron... then who... oh, wait, you're not saying..."

"Yes... That's exactly what I'm saying..." von Kerman shook his head in amazement. "That's the Earth Human... That's... Badie!!!"

And sure enough, up ahead Emiko and Chibi were laughing and crying and trying their best to explain to the poor, confused Badie what had happened to her... and where she really was...

UNea1QG.png

"So this... Badie... She didn't really poof, but held on and kept fighting that Kraken for a thousand years?" Piper asked in amazement.

"Apparently," von Kerman replied, equally amazed at what he was seeing.

"Wow, now that is a BadS human I can respect," Piper whistled, then turned deadly serious. "But you know they'll be coming, now that we've poofed one, right?

Werhner said nothing for a few moments, and tried to savor the joy he saw in Emiko and Chibi before answering softly... sadly.

"Yes... yes, I know..." von Kerman replied sadly... "We are in more danger now than ever..."

rdye26h.png

Dedicated to my dear friend @Darth Badie... :)

The Saga of Emiko Station, and the strange tale of Emiko, Chibi, and Badie Kerman, is still far, far from over...

Go to Chapter 98
Return to Index

MOAR LINUS AND A REFERENCE TO GILLIGANS ISLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/13/2019 at 10:30 AM, Just Jim said:

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
                                                                                  Pink Floyd: "Wish You Were Here"

Chapter 100
The Great Gig in the Sky

This chapter is dedicated to the Kerbal Space Program, my friends and co-workers at Squad and Private Division, and most importantly, the KSP forum readers.
Without your continued encouragement & support, none of this would have ever been possible.

I love all of you more than words can ever truly express...

It had been nearly 30 days... 30 quiet, calm days since Emiko, Chibi, and Grand Kerbal Samantha Kerman had encountered the Kraken Lord and Insane Empress on Bop. 30 days... and things at the Kerbal Space Center were actually returning to something slightly resembling... normal.

Or as normal as could be expected.

j4mzMKZ.png

CITT0qC.png

The biggest surprise recently had been the revelation of Geschosskopf's discovery of a half-finished, and then abandoned airfield in the desert, not far from the pyramids of Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn.

t14DUCr.png

0M1ghuL.png

Even more importantly was the discovery of Burberry Kerman, Thompberry's mother, wandering around half-poofed in the deep desert near a previously unknown green monolith. 

1PudZVc.png

7LaL29e.png

In the days that followed, a large shipment of base parts and supplies originally destined for the Mun were diverted out to this airfield, now nick-named the "Dessert Aerodrome" by the engineering team... a name that still made Werhner von Kerman groan... And a temporary base was constructed, until more permanent structures could be built.

WTbRpKh.png

Tw8vlqM.png

North-East from here, a smaller observation camp was set up to study the recently discovered green monolith. Bob, Bill, Gem, Theo & photographer FayRay Kerman were all here... along with Captain LoVar Kerman, who had gotten into some sort of argument with Jeb just a couple days before their departure to the desert, and volunteered to go along at the last minute.

The camp was located about a kilometer south of the weird monolith, and had some of FayRay's best equipment trained on it... but so far nothing had really happened, and the crew was enjoying the quiet. LoVar had even taken to reading by himself in one of small hydroponic domes.

umuGWGv.png

G61YnS9.png

G3kMtY0.png

Back at the Dessert Aerodrome, Chibi was outside by the fusion reactor, trying to chase down Bruberry, and get her to come inside and go to bed. But sadly, while Bruberry seemed in great shape physically, especially for a Kerbette of her age, mentally she was like a child... Which some, including Thompberry, argued might be for the best, given what she had been through. Perhaps this was her way of dealing with the horror of being possessed for so many decades. Others insisted that she had a right to her memories... but in the end Piper Kerman sided with Thompberry, and agreed that Bruberry was far, far better off not knowing what had happened to her.

And nobody, but nobody, in the entire space program had the guts to stand up against the wrath of both Thompberry and Piper Kerman combined.

M1JTOgE.png

"Bru Bru..." Chibi called out. "Time for bed, dear."

"Awwww...." Bruberry frowned, then went back to singing and dancing. "Chibi, Chibi, Chibi... pretty, pretty, pretty... la la la la la..."

mbPKEEs.png

ZFNBlvO.png

"I know, dear," Chibi smiled warmly. "But we have to get our sleep... Otherwise we can't go butter-moth hunting in the morning."

"Oh... OK," Bru smiled,... "Butter butter butter moth moth moth... Chibi, chibi, chibi... hehehe"

And still singing, Bruberry followed Chibi inside to her bunk, where Chibi tucked her in for the night, still laughing and giggling.

mh0Rsq0.png

QGRuzdr.png

Now while this was going on, Piper and Thompberry were high overhead in the Pandora, and ironically enough, they were also laughing.

"You... you didn't..." Thompberry cried, sounding strangely out of breath, given the fact he didn't have lungs.

"I most certainly did!" Piper howled back in hysterics... "And to all 5 of them!"

"Oh... oh my... You, my dear... are SO BAD!!!"

"Oh, that's nothing," Piper grinned wickedly. "In my senior year...:

4KIAo2G.png

HSp6PQC.png

It was strange... years ago Piper had hated Thompberry so much it burned like a smoldering ember in her mind.

But the last several ten-days together... especially after the discovery of Thompberry's mother alive in the deep desert, Piper had discovered many facets of the strange brain-pod she had never, ever imagined existed. He hurt so much... missed his parents so much... Piper agreed his decision to not try and recover his mothers memories was the right one. But she also saw how badly it had ripped him apart, and as much as she hated to admit it... it... it hurt her as well to see him like this.

In fact, it was Piper's suggestion that the two of them get off planet, and back into orbit as son as possible, where they could be alone... more or less. The Rocklady was also aboard, naturally... and this time the Rocklady had managed to convince none other than old, grizzled Pappy Kerman to accompany her as acting ship engineer. The Rocklady and Pappy had also started to grow close, and being somewhat of a recluse himself, Pappy relished the idea of it being just the 4 of them alone in orbit, with no "niblings" to pester him.

VKTqmyx.png

"Sooo, there we were, the three of us," Piper laughed. "It looked like the coast was clear, but just as we were breaking into the dean's office, the platypus squealed, and... Wait, I'm getting an incoming call from..."

Piper paused, and her face went deathly pale...

"Oh.... my God..."

fyEMtBP.png

Back on Kerbin, an exhausted Chibi entered the Dessert Aerodrome's central conference room and plucked herself into a chair near Emiko.

"What did I miss?"

8rVL1Ab.png

4dVOZ2A.png

"Werhner was just telling us of your brilliant little scheme," Geschosskopf laughed from across the room. "Well played, Miss Chibi..."

One of the biggest issues they had been grappling with since the fall of the Kraken handmaiden was the bright emerald gravioli flash that occurred when she was finally vanquished. No matter what they said, or how they tried to spin it, the public and media were just not buying any of the excuses Walt and the PR team released.

But then Chibi suggested taking Angelo Kerman's latest prototype engine, a monster thing called the "Super-Nova"... Position it on the launch pad, bathed in green spotlights, and have FayRay take several shots, using her best wide-angle lens camera's to make it appear even larger than life.

jdGKQca.png

Then... instead of releasing it to the press, the photo's were passed off to a 3rd party, who passed them off to another party... who then leaked them to the media...

And the very next day, when KASA "Officially denied the existence of a Super-Nova engine", the public was hooked, and almost instantly believed the proto-type Super-Nova was, in fact, the actual cause of the emerald flash.

"Brilliant!" Werhner chuckled. "Walter asked me to convey his thanks, and said if you ever wanted a job in PR..."

But just then Thompberry appeared on the screens, a strange sense of urgency ringing in his weird, electronic voice.

"My apologies, friend Werhner. I must interrupt...." Was Thompberry.... stammering??? Thompberry???

"Miss Emiko... We... We've received a message..."

"Emiko here..." she replied nervously. Emiko had never heard Thompberry sound so rattled, and she did not like what it might foretell... "Who... who is message from?"

Thompberry paused for several seconds... and Emiko started to get a really, really bad feeling.

"It's from Minmus... from them..." Thompberry whispered. "I... I think you need to see this." 

Then the screen changed, and everyone in the room gasped...

Z8Z7vPt.png

X2uvAo6.png

"Thompington???" Emiko could barely breath... "Thompy???"

"Professor Emiko?" the recording began. "Hi... It's... It's me, professor. I must be brief. These... things... they said to tell you and... who?"

Thompington paused, as if listening... Clearly one of the krakens was speaking into his mind.

"What is a half-twin???" 

Another brief pause.

"Fine," Thompington sighed. "Professor, these... individuals... behind me say they want to talk to you and your... half-twin? Whatever a half-twin is.... the insane one says you would know. Then... then she said I am free to go with you..." 

Thompy paused a second, then continued quickly.

"But ma'am... I don't believe..."

And the transmission ended.. 

5h4r7rU.png

No-one said a word for several long seconds, until Kuzzter shook his head in disbelief...

"Yeah... that's not a trap..."

"Oh, yeah," Geo agreed softly. "But.... why so obvious?"

Across the widescreens Val chimed in from the KSC.

"This is bad......" she said softly. "The Krakens are clearly mad, but not stupid... Something isn't right."

IiMzOfQ.png

"I hate to be the one to ask this," Angelo Kerman chimed in. "But is there any chance at all these... monsters... could actually be telling the truth?"

"Not likely," Kuzzter replied sarcastically. "What do they want to talk about, the weather??? Perhaps the current price of seabugs?"

"The handmaiden," Chibi said softly. "Don't ask me how I now."

"Ahhhh, the handmaiden... Yes, intriguing..." Thompberry's voice came back across the speakers. "There is a possibility... remote... but perhaps..." 

"Well, go on..." Piper's voice could be heard in the background. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm not sure..." Thompberry continued. "But consider this... I've reviewed the tapes several times... and in the few moments before her end, the Handmaiden seemed... confused... almost lost. If the Krakens were in communication telepathically... what if her link had been severed by our Laythean friends???"

"Then the other Krakens may not know what actually happened to her..." Chibi finished Thompberry's chain of thought. "Now that is an interesting possibility... Even I could feel how powerful those Laytheans were."

"That just makes it worse!" Val objected. "And another thing...If Thompington isn't possessed anymore... then where it the Kraken that was inside him?"

"Lurking about somewhere," Geschosskopf growled. "Waiting to strike."

"This is a bad idea," Kuzzter grumbled.

"I have to agree," Werhner added softly. "Emiko, dear... This is really, really unwise."

yFpICCg.png

For several long minutes Emiko sat and said nothing.

Yes, it was clearly a trap... But she wasn't entirely defenseless anymore... And if there was even a fraction of a chance that they could rescue Thompington...

In her mind it wasn't even a debate.

"There is old Earth saying..." Emiko finally said softly, looking over at Chibi. "First step in evading a trap..."

"Is knowing of it's existence," Chibi nodded slowly back. "I'm going with you."

"Gramiko, no!": Val cried... "Please..."

"Emiko has to..." Emiko whispered back. "For Thompington... and for poor Bruberry."

"But... damn..." Val conceded, knowing she wasn't going to change her grandmothers mind. "What's your plan, using your Magic Boulder?"

"Would be fastest..." Emiko started to say.

"No... no..." Thompberry cut her off. "They're going to be expecting that. If it is a trap, and they're holding... my father... hostage, then they need him alive. And that gives us a little time... to prepare

"Prepare?" Kuzzter asked with a mischievous grin

"Yes... yes..." Thompberry seemed to chuckle. "I've been analyzing the data from the Handmaiden's fall... I believe if the Kraken's red Magic Boulder is anywhere nearby, I may be able to use it's gravioli particles to our advantage."

"Like when the Handmaiden fell..." Chibi smiled. "And if the Krakens don't know how specifically she died... Oh... yes... YES... they just might not see this coming."

"OK, settled then. Emiko and Chibi need a ship..."

"We can have a jet there in a few hours..." Werhner calculated. "Both Diamondbacks are being retro-fitted with new guidance systems, but I think we can have one ready in just a day or two if we double the shifts..."

"No... no!" Emiko objected. "That's too long! Already pushing it!"

"Well... there is the Barn-Swallow..." the until now silent Ted Kerman volunteered between donuts. "It's stored in Quonset hut 4...

aWJEuDw.png

"I don't know..." Geschosskopf looked over. "It's just a prototype..."

"And only half finished." Kuzzter agreed.

"True," Ted argued. "But it can make it into orbit... it just can't make it back down."

"That should suffice," Thompberry already began calculating. "Just get her in the air and LKO by sunrise your time. I can set the rendezvous from here, we'll have a perfect window to reach Minmus in 8 days."

"Agreed then..." Emiko sighed, knowing she was quite possibly making a very fatal mistake. "Who wants honors???"

"Oh, I think Ted should have the pleasure..." Kuzzter and Geschosskopf both smiled over at Ted, who was beginning to grin quite evilly. 

"Yes..." Ted laughed softly, setting down his donuts and grabbing his hardhat and old school walkie-talkie.

"Yes... I think I will enjoy this very much!!!

RGaarPP.png

HkAaw1j.png

His name was Theodore "Bulldog" Kerman, and he was quite possibly the planets leading authority on geology, plate tectonics, and re-fueling operations...

He also was quite possibly the hardest Kerbal on the planet to work for, and was well known for having the inter-personnel skills of a spiny back razor-platy. Despite this, his crew was fiercely loyal, and gave him 110% whenever possible...  which is why they were chosen for the Dessert Aerodrome project.

Now, as the hour crept towards midnight, Ted walked out to the front of the Aerodrome, calmly adjusted his walkie-talkie, and gave the heads-up to the conference room that he was ready...

ZRObsn9.png

L1yZvO7.png

Then, at the stroke of midnight, he flicked on his walkie-talkie, and roared across the Aerodrome loudspeakers...

"On... Your... FEET!!!" Ted bellowed as his image flashed across the night-shift factory wide-screen monitors.

"Everybody up NOW!!! I need the Barn-Swallow fueled and on the runway in one hour! This is no drill... repeat... This is NO DRILL!!! Come on, Kerbals... move like you have a purpose!"

UCm2UKo.png

4wxS52M.png

veYLWBj.png

"Yup," Chibi giggled over to Emiko. "I do believe Ted's enjoying this..."

5JE8XIF.png

And an hour later, just as promised, the Barn-Swallow prototype SSTO was on the runway, fueled, and ready for take-off.

DcxFKId.png

7FzFDSV.png

"Well done," Angelo Kerman smiled over at Ted. "15 minutes to spare."

"Too slow," Ted grumbled. "But they'll make it to the rendezvous."

Inside the Barn-Swallow cockpit, Emiko was enjoying how excited Chibi was to finally be going into space. True, they had traveled from Earth to Kerbin... but she had been in cryo, and had no memory of the experience. 

But now... now she was actually flying into orbit with her best friend, and she could not be more excited.

Lsd3i8z.png

Passing high overhead, Thompberry was monitoring the Pandora's position, and he soon called out.

"We are in position... Miss Emiko, you are clear to launch at your pleasure."

TaspXbN.png

"Roger Dodger," Emiko looked over at Chibi and giggled. "Let's see... there should be a start button around here somewhere...."

"Oh, great..." Chibi laughed... then screamed as Emiko throttled up the Barn-Swallows massive RAPIER engine, and they both felt themselves drawn back into their seats.

"Weeeeee......."

JTo3vXx.png

YkerUEq.png

a9VrW7h.png

"Oh... My.... G........... Chibi squealed as Emiko banked the Barn-Swallow hard to starboard, assumed a course of 090 degrees, and began to climb into the rising sun.

BF1gL7o.png

yrt3mta.png

v4s1DfC.png

Higher and higher she climbed, gaining precious speed, until the ship screamed over 1200 m/s, and was engulfed in a beautiful wreath of flames...  

"Switching to closed cycle in 5... 4... 3..." Emiko screamed over the roar of the Rapiers. "2... 1... Engage...

And Chibi was shocked to feel herself being pulled even further back into her seat...

"WOOOOOOOWWWWW........" She howled and laughed...

Iyppdnt.png

LuD0ZsE.png

But in just a couple minutes it was over... Emiko pulled back the throttle, set the SAS to auto-pilot, and smiled over at Chibi..

"That... was... insane... "Chibi laughed breathlessly... "Thank you..."

"Was Emiko's pleasure..." Emiko smiled back. "Circularizing orbit in 2 minutes."

j55Guwl.png

Once she had established a good LKO, Emiko hit her radio.

"Barn-Swallow to Pandora, do you copy?"

"Pandora here, I have you on my monitors," Thompberry called back. "Well done, Miss Emiko. I have the rendezvous maneuver plotted and set, we will intercept you in approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes... You have that long to teach Miss Chibi how to use a jet-pack..."

i4q8mzP.png

YOGTPCY.png

Exactly 75 minutes later, the Barn-Swallow radio piped back on...

"Pandora to Barn-Swallow, I have a visual," Thompberry called over. "Moving into position now. Kerbol should be rising in 2 minutes, so you'll have the light by the time we're ready for EVA."

"Understood," Emiko radioed back. "Emiko and Chibi are suited up and ready."  

GeJBiP1.png

xNhJlN3.png

"OK, remember Chibi," Emiko instructed (for the um-teenth time) while she waited just outside the Barn-Swallow main hatch. "Right hand is X & Y-Axis. Left hand is Z-axis and throttle control. Keep eyes on Emiko at all times..."

"Yes... yes... I get it, dear," Chibi laughed as she exited the Barn-Swallow and looked around at the stars surrounding her... "Wow... so beautiful!"

869oWeI.png

"OK, I see the Pandora, Emiko..." Chibi called out. 

"Good," Emiko called back. "Chibi go first, and Emiko will follow close... be careful..."

"I will," Chibi laughed. Truth was, she had already figured out the controls, but she was still touched at how worried Emiko was for her safety. 

And slowly, carefully, the two EVA'd from the now dead Barn-Swallow to the waiting Pandora.

gnufI2i.png

3y5oAzv.png

3vxyrIz.png

"Perfect..." Emiko grinned when Chibi reached the Pandora's outer hatch and grabbed on tight.

PC2v9tO.png

cPMMLQq.png

"That was... amazing," Chibi sighed once they were inside and secure. 

"Is really fun, as long as Chibi is careful," Emiko smiled back, then switched on her intercom. "Emiko and Chibi all set here."

XtTYwmL.png

"Excellent," Thompberry's voice rang out. "Executing maneuver burn to Minmus in T-minus 3 minutes, 22 seconds..."

"Wow, you timed that one good," Chibi whistled.

"Yeah, every now and then he gets lucky..." Piper radioed from up in the cockpit, and the ship rang out in laughter... until they were drowned out by the Pandora's powerful Viper engines.

ZETGCXg.png

6Jd3717.png

Once the burn was complete, Thompberry re-checked his coordinates, and radioed down to the crew.

"Maneuver complete. Arrival at Minmus SOI in 8 days, 1 hour, 19 minutes... I suggest we use our time wisely..."

xZjtDaC.png

After a few hours of much needed sleep, Chibi crawled up forward into the cockpit, so Emiko could have some alone-time with Werhner.

"So..." Chibi smiled as she strapped herself in next to Piper, "Did you follow my advice?"

"That we did," Miss Chibi,' Thompberry replied. "And I believe it is our turn to congratulate you on your excellent timing... 

"We finished re-fitting and replacing the chem-cam laser's power-supply and lenses 3 days ago." Piper picked up where Thompberry left off. "It's a narrow beam, but now it should be able to slice through any standard bulkhead at close range... among other things..."

l01qSQC.png

In the passenger section Emiko was picking up where their briefing had been interrupted the prior evening.

"You may pass onto Piper that the senior staff agrees unanimously with her proposition." Werhner smiled on the laptop screen. "What Obney did to abduct Gene and spirit him off-world broke every rule in the book. But he did it for the absolute best of intentions; risking everything, including his career, to assist Kerenna and save Gene from what they truly believed was a Kraken trap."

l4Wuwjq.png

"It will take several days to complete the paperwork required, so we haven't told him yet..." Werhner grinned. "But once everything is in order, on Piper Kerman's personal recommendation, Obney Kerman is to be promoted to the rank of Commander, and will immediately assume the position of first-officer of Emiko Station!"

"Yes... YES!!!" Emiko cheered. "Obney is a good Kerbal... Will make an excellent first-officer for Piper."

UohSU9G.png

But then Werhner's face grew more serious, and Emiko knew there had been a problem...

"What's wrong?"

"It''s your friend, Badie... There's been an... well, an incident," Werhner paused, not sure how to continue. "It happened just a couple hours ago..."

"What?" Emiko asked concerned. "Is Badie OK?"

"Badie? Yes... she's fine... But last night she was wandering through the VAB, and everything seemed OK enough." Werhner drifted off in a way that made Emiko quite nervous.

"And" Emiko whispered.

"And one of the engineers said something to her..." Werhner's voice dropped low... "I've been told it was nothing inappropriate... but whatever happened... well... it set Badie off somehow..."

"Set Badie off... how?" Emiko was not liking the sound of this...

Werhner paused for a moment, not sure how to put it into words...

"I... I saw the video feed before we classified it... They were at least 2 meters apart." Werhner's voice drew to a whisper... "Emiko, I saw it... Badie simply raised her arm... and sent that poor Kerbal flying at least 30 meters into the far wall!!!"

"What... Badie is... telekinetic???" Emiko gasped. "Is... Is engineer OK?"

"Not really..." Werhner shook his head. "He'll pull through, but his arm is shattered in 3 places."

"And Badie?" Emiko whispered...

"Acting like nothing happened... But we've quietly warned everyone to watch what they say around her from now on."

Emiko thought about it for a second, then came up with an idea.

"Put Badie in front of kiano..."

"A kiano?" Werhner mussed. "Yes... I remember you saying how much she loved to play. We don't have one at the space center, but the Annabel Lee has one on-board. I think can re-route her here just long enough to unload it... perhaps it will help Badie adjust. I'll keep you posted."

HszXZbo.png

8 days later, Minmus was coming close into view, and Piper called Emiko up to join her in the cockpit while they prepared to land while Thompberry circularized their orbit, and calculated their burn to vertical decent....

FWAIhXK.png

9Fzeoyh.png

y6X0klX.png

"OK, sweetheart," Thompberry called down to Piper. "I have a visual on the colony...  On my mark..."

4FZpRor.png

xEs2wRX.png

"5... 4... 3... 2.... full throttle... now!" 

"Full throttle," Piper replied. "Burn time 30 seconds... Mark... Engines indicators all showing green..."

3cxIzGt.png

"Horizontal speed 5 meters per second... 4... 3... 2... 1... all-stop..." Thompberry called down. 

"All-Stop. Disengaging main engines..." Piper called back. 

"Rotating 180 degrees..." Thompberry called. "Targeting Colony... Locked."

"Locked on... Engaging horizontal thrusters..." Piper called "Beginning vertical decent.... Descending at 20 meters per second... Engines indicators all green."

bdGNyD1.png

BzPXFzT.png

I have a visual... It's the Red Magic boulder" Thompberry called down. "Repeat, I have a visual on the red magic boulder. 

"Slowing to 10 meters per second," Piper replied. "Engines hot, but the radiators are all showing nominal... 1000 meters.... 990... 980... Are we going to clear the boulder?"

"Affirmative, Piper dear, maintain decent" Thompberry answered. "The boulder is close, but behind the base... Hmmm... perfect, in fact... maintain course." 

2ApfnwV.png

rCKEtnN.png

"100 meters... Slowing to 5 meters per second... 90 meters... 80 meters..." Piper called out...

"I can see our... friends..." Thompberry called. "They're just... standing there..."

"20 meters... slowing to 2 meters per second..." Piper called back. " Keep your cameras on them... 5 meters... 4... 3... 2... 1... Disengaging vertical thrusters...."

And with barely a bump the Pandora came to rest just a couple dozen meters from the colony base... The ominous Red Magic boulder looming close behind it, throwing weird shadows...

...and the 2 Krakens were there, waiting at the entrance.

cTDDCb4.png

PaV836L.png

0yyQeN9.png

9ZsqhuR.png

"I am seriously not liking this," Piper whispered.

"Maybe Piper should stay in ship?" Emiko suggested. "Keep engines running?"

y6X0klX.png

"No way! I'm not letting you go out there alone!" Piper growled. "Thompberry can keep the engines warm... Now, let's get this over with."

And without further hesitation Emiko, Chibi, and Piper suited up and headed out to face their worst nightmares. 

0rvm49x.png

IbtlKQq.png

"Where is Thompington?" Emiko called out to the Insane Empress, who was just standing there... smiling down at them in her smug, evil way.

YrvSB10.png

YrvSB10.png

"Your friend?" the Empress seemed far too pleased with herself. "Why, he's right inside... you're free to join him if you like."

But before Emiko could take another step, Thompberry called out in a deadly serious voice.

"Emiko... STOP!!!" Thompberry cried out. "Look closely behind her!!!"

Emiko froze, and looked up at the "hitchhiker" crew cabin, and let out a scream of horror!!!

Ringing the crew cabin, both atop and below, were no less than two-dozen Explosive Demolition packs... all primed to detonate!

"No... NOOOOOO!!!"

vkLpORX.png

zlT7jo6.png

FWTLEM3.png

"Take Emiko... TAKE EMIKO!!!" Emiko cried... "Just stop hurting Emiko's friends!!!"

WQKFCKt.png

Behind her Thompberry was already charging his capacitors, and whispered softly through Emiko and the crew's headsets.

"I am ready to disable them on your command..."

But somehow, despite not transmitting to their helmets, the Kraken Lord still heard, and looked down to Chibi.

"There is an old Earth term..." The Kraken lord's voice slithered through Chibi's mind... "I believe it was called... A device of the deceased?

"Device of the...?" Chibi thought for a second, then screamed out. "Thompberry, STOP!!!"

Chibi looked over at Emiko and quickly explained.

"It's called a "dead-man switch"... It means they're rigged them to explode if they lose power..." Chibi looked back at the Krakens and scowled... "They anticipated this."

"Why?" Emiko sobbed... "Why?"

"Oh, come now..." the Kraken Lord's voice weaved through their minds. "Your companion is in no danger.... if you cooperate."

"My little... toys... are only to insure you tell us the truth." the Empress chuckled.

"What truth?" Emiko glared up at the Krakens...

"Oh, no... not you this time, my little pet," the Empress smiled down wickedly. "That one... Your half-twin abomination... We wish to speak to her..."

"Come forward, little monster," the Kraken Lord commanded Chibi. "Open your mind to me... show me the truth... the truth... the truth..."

NAY9B2X.png

AClaQEw.png

The dark seemed to get even darker as the monstrous thought tentacles entered Chibi's mind... But she did not fight them, she just braced herself, and fought back her revulsion, and let them see her memories...

Memories that astounded the Kraken lord...

EkQvtPf.png

"Laytheans..." the Kraken Lord whispered as he finally saw the truth of the Handmaidens demise... "They had Laytheans... 6 of them... a hive-pod."

Zi9AUPm.png

ZkOiluP.png

"Then this one IS of the Hive?" the Empress asked enigmatically...

The hive???

"No... no..." The Kraken Lord whispered as he dug further and further back into Chibi's past... But not finding what he was searching for. Only Chibi's un-dying love for her friend Emiko...

"Nothing..." The Kraken Lord whispered in astonishment. "She has none of the genetic markers... none of the mental blocks... Astounding... This one is hive born... but she is NOT of the hive..."

ZHT54dz.png

"No... NO!" the Empress's scream raged through their minds. "I refuse to believe..."

Looking down, she knew Emiko would block her, and she refused to touch Chibi's mind... and so she targeted the only kerbal left, and unleashed all 8 of her thought tentacles directly into... Piper!!!

"Show me... SHOW ME!!!" the mad Empress screamed...

And to Emiko and Chibi's horror... Piper's eyes turned dead white... the deadly white of one now possessed.

onm8BL7.png

aoPHTeY.png

Behind them Thompberry howled!!!

"Release her NOW!!! Or I swear, I will dissect the both of you!" Thompberry raged and began to raise his modified Chem-Cam laser, targeting the empress right between her dead white eyes.

TBmPECc.png

G1IQaUD.png

5ZcTvXC.png

But the Kraken Empress barely heard him, such was her astonishment at what she saw...

For inside Piper's mind was an image of... herself???

"The fragments were sending this one visions!!!" "the Empress whispered... 

405iwVR.png

"RELEASE PIPER NOW!!!" Thompberry screamed again. "You have 5 seconds to comply... 4... 3... 2..."

Then a ghostly voice rang out... Piper's voice... strange and distant...

"No, Thompberry... my loveeeee..." Piper whispered weirdly. "Wait... wait... I can see... I can see it all..."

PWrR8wj.png

"The war... the war..." Piper looked into the Kraken Empresses mind... and began to rant...

"Laythe... the hive on Laythe is no more...  Tek'To... Et'al's.... No... By the Gods...  Et'al's.... Et'al's.... The poor Plati-people... No.... Goddess save me... NO... Please... NOOOOO"

And Piper screamed, and screamed, and screamed, while the Kraken Empress looked down at her in genuine sadness and whispered softly...

"And now you know the truth..."

SGkMuJX.png

Ir4mB58.png

"It was horrible, horrible..." Piper shuddered. Nearly an hour had passed since Emiko and Chibi had dragged her unconscious body back inside. For a while she just sat motionless, then started screaming again and again... and then fell silent...

Emiko was terrified she had gone mad, but the Kraken Lord assured her that Piper would recover... although she may never be quite the same.

"A hive was discovered on Laythe, and eliminated..." Piper tried to explain. "But the Krakens had no idea the hive-queen herself was in our solar system... until it was too late."

0BIuUIt.png

"Hive-queen?" Chibi suddenly put two and two together and got an answer she didn't like... "Hive-queen???"

"An ET hive-queen???"

tJ7uJGB.png

"Yes... yes..." Piper sighed. "The ET's... It was them all along... We have been so lied to..."

"Go on," Emiko asked gently... "What did Piper see?"

"Everything... everything..." Piper began to weep softly. "The Empress eliminated the hive on Laythe, only to have them move in force against both Tekto and... and... Oh, god."

"Et'al's....." Emiko whispered... and then it hit her, and she reeled... "No... Et'al's..... not.... Slate???"

"Yes..." Piper sobbed... "Home of the Platy-people..."

E0gBhvB.png

"Our forces held Sarnus," the Kraken Lord, now atop the Pandora, picked up where Piper left off. "But the Hive had absorbed Laythe, and appeared to be infiltrating your home-world of Kerbin. But we were mistaken, and when Laythe was cleansed, they moved in force against the moons of Sarnus instead."

"Tekto and Slate?" Thompberry surmised.

"Yes..." the Kraken Lord nodded slowly. "Tekto fell first, it's atmosphere and oceans permanently poisoned, exterminating the Insectoids that inhabited it's surface."

34xeurI.png

"But on Et'al's... what you now call Slate..." the Kraken Lord paused... "The Hive didn't stop with merely exterminating the inhabitants of Et'al's. They complete sterilized the surface, and burned the atmosphere, leaving just a scared husk..."

klHQWCd.png

"My father, the Elder Kraken, had already been banished to Bop for speaking out against the war," the Kraken Lord continued. "It seems he had grown quite fond of your people, who were just leaving the borrows, and perhaps the most harmless of any species we had ever encountered."

"Then why krakens always trying to murder-poof poor kerbals?" Emiko cried out in frustration.

"Murder-Poof you, my dear?" the Empress laughed in Emiko's mind. "When, little one, did I ever once try and murder you?"

"But... Baikerbanur..." Emiko started to protest.

"Had been absorbed into the hive..." the Empress countered. "My lord protested... but I saw and acted as a Kraken should, and eliminated all traces of them."

"Your kind was never a threat," the Kraken Lord shook his head. "You would not have been subjugated, were it not for the Hive."

wyVBEEG.png

HAKBTq3.png

"And after Slate fell?" Thompberry asked... unsure if he wanted to hear the answer.

"Fearing the Hive would move onto Kerban next, my father reached his mind out to the only other race left," the Kraken lord paused again... and Thompberry thought for just second he saw the Kraken... shudder??? "A race so weird... and powerful... We weren't even sure if they qualified as life-forms..."

Then it hit Emiko what he was referring to... and she felt herself grow cold and numb with the realization...

"Dres... Kraken is talking about.... Dres!!!"

j3HLdry.png

"Yes, little one, Dres..." the Kraken Lord whispered, as if still in awe of what secrets it held... "Dres... home of what you call... the Magic Boulders."

"By the Goddess..." Thompberry gasped, realizing the implications. "How did I not see this?" 

"The Elder Kraken extended his mind to Dres, begged, pleaded with them to bring and end to it all..." the Kraken Lord shook his head sadly. "And to our shock and horror... the Magic Boulders answered... they answered!!!"

rCdQeis.png

"It all happened so fast..." the Empress whispered in Emiko's mind... "So fast..."

"Suddenly, out of no-where, millions of them appeared across the galaxy, plowing through our armadas like toys, while millions more fell from the skies onto our conquered worlds... " the Kraken Lord remembered sadly. "Nothing... nothing could have prepared us for such devastation. In seconds, both sides were wiped out... along with most all of the Magic Boulders."

"And thus, the war was over."

M4EsOAT.png

For several minutes no-one spoke... no-one could. Until Thompberry broke the silence.

"And how did you escape?" he asked softly. "How did you end up on earth... and like... well... like you are now?"

"Without physical form..." the Kraken Lord frowned. "That was... unfortunate."

kPORWvX.png

"We were on your home-world when the Magic Boulders attacked," the Kraken lord explained. "And had managed to warn many of your kind underground..."

"Wait... wait!" the Rocklady interrupted from the passenger cabin. "Are you saying it was YOU who warned Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn of the great burn?"

"Was that his name?" the Kraken Lord mused. "I honestly had forgotten. But none the less, yes, it was I that transported some thousand underground, and warned many more..."

"But we weren't fast enough..." the Kraken Empress sighed.

A huge boulder struck some distance away, but it took only seconds for the shock wave to hit us. And in our desperation, I opened a wormhole using the Magic Boulder still loyal to the Empress, and, plunged her, along with her servants, and myself, into it... and into our fate...."

pIBp5nL.jpg

"And you exploded back out the other side over Tunguska, on Earth...." Chibi whispered. "But your bodies... Oh... I see..."

"Our bodies did not survive...' the Empress replied. "But our minds endured... they endured. And so then did we become the only Krakens to survive the great war."

"And the Magic Boulders?" Thompberry surmised. "They sacrificed themselves... didn't they?"

"Nearly all, yes. the Kraken Lord replied sadly. "To our knowledge only a few survived throughout the galaxy. The Ruby boulder, loyal to us, and the Emerald one loyal to you, Emiko... and apparently you found a cluster of gold ones? That news is encouraging."

"Unfortunately the rest are now just fragments of their former selves, wandering the worlds where they sacrificed themselves."

"Anhhhh,  The floating boulders... Piper's visions were being sent by the floating boulders... Now it all makes sense..." Thompberry whispered. "How terrible."

DLRNDr8.png

"There are a couple things I still don't understand," Chibi frowned. "You keep saying I'm the Hive-Queens daughter... half-daughter? How is that possible? I never met my mother."

"Which makes it even more likely," the Empress countered. "There were once many hive-princesses, each commanding her own hive... The more important question is, why haven't you been absorbed into one?"

"I'm not sure I understand... what do you mean, absorbed?"

"Absorbed... assimilated... enslaved..." the Empress tried to explain. "When one becomes part of the hive, they lose their sense of self, and become part of the whole..."

"Ahhh... ohhhh... Eewww..... you mean like a hive-mind???" Chibi swallowed hard. "That's... hideous..."

"By most sentient standards, yes..." the Kraken Lord agreed. "When we first encountered the hive, our kind was repulsed. We prize strength and power... and individuality... above all else... And these... these... things, were an affront... an abomination to our very being. And they were spreading across the galaxy, enslaving all that stood before them."

"Oh, so now Krakens good guys?" Emiko snorted. "Not believing it!!!"

"That's my girl," the Empress chuckled, which only riled Emiko more. But before she could respond, Piper cut her off with a question of her own...

"OK... but why Thompberry." Piper asked. "Why did the Elder Kraken do that to my... well, to him?"

Outside, the Kraken Lord look up at Thompberry and sighed.

"I'm afraid I can't easily answer that..."

eClfTp6.png

"In your tongue, you are known as a Sentinel... for lack of a better word,"  the Kraken Lord tired to explain. "There were very, very few ever created in the galaxy, and my Father was one of only krakens capable of performing such a delicate feat successfully."

"But like the brains they encase, each Sentinel was unique... each has, or had, differing abilities," the Empress continued. "And with the Elder Kraken gone... we're at a loss as to your true purpose."

"It may have been, in fact, to do what you have been doing, and keeping these others alive." the Kraken Lord concluded. "But as my mate says... we honestly aren't sure why he created you."

Emiko looked over, and was slightly shocked to see Piper beginning to softly cry, but she held her tongue.

"What I can tell you," the Kraken lord spoke back up. "Is the Hive cannot touch you. In this form, you are impervious to absorption... or any sort of telepathy, or mental coercion, unless you wish to hear, as you are now hearing my voice."

"Interesting," Thompberry replied softly. "But you know nothing more?"

"No, I'm afraid the rest you must learn on your own..." the Kraken Lord sighed. "I'm truly sorry."

M4EsOAT.png

Down in the cockpit, Emiko had heard enough... She was seriously sickened by the story of the Great War's end, and looked over at Piper with a frown.

"Emiko can't handle anymore..." she sighed softly. "Can Piper please take Emiko home... now?"

"Yes..." Piper sat up straight and composed herself. "Let's get the hell out of here."

BDx4Ola.png

Piper waited just long enough for the Kraken Lord to return along side the Empress before she began powering up the Pandora systems.

"We are not allies, Emiko Kerman," the Kraken Lord's voice slithered across Emiko's mind. "But your people need no longer fear us, either.... So long as their minds stay free of the Hive, and they no longer interfere with our plans."

"I look forward to our next encounter, little one," the Empress chuckled in Emiko's mind.

"Emiko does NOT!" Emiko snarled back... but the Empress only laughed.

"That's my girl... You may just survive yet..."

OLjAhNt.png

Then Piper shoved the vertical thrusters to full, spun the Pandora around far too fast and low to the ground to be safe, and slammed the main Viper engines to full... 

lk0j87Y.png

S7u1oHg.png

s53anTu.png

qxq2zcv.png

KRTwL2N.png

1kfXkyw.png

Once they were safely back in orbit, Chibi swapped places with Emiko, and sat down next to Piper, while Emiko went back to check on Thompington, who had remained silent since coming aboard.

"You OK?" Chibi asked as she strapped herself in.

"No, not really..." Piper sighed. "Are you?"

"No, not really...." Chibi sighed back... then they both laughed quietly...

8QcMcIo.png

In the back, Emiko didn't really know what to say... it had been so long.

"Is... Is Thompy alright now?

"I'm not really sure how to respond to that," Thompy laughed weakly. "But I am grateful for risking your lives to come get me."

"Emiko had to... and... suppose it all worked out... Emiko thinks? Honestly, not sure what to make of all this yet..."

"How much do you remember?" Thompberry chimed in softly.

"Very little, my son... my son... wow." Thompington paused, obviously choking up. "I... I am so, so terribly sorry..."

"No, don't." Thompberry interrupted softly. "I came to understand years ago that none of this was your fault... or Mothers. You were a victim, and owe me no apologies."

6FKHexm.png

"Thank you," Thompington whispered. "To answer your question, my son, I remember only weird bits... fragments... It's like... like waking up from a nightmare. You remember being scared... but as it fades, you don't really remember why... does that make sense?"

"Yes, actually... I believe I understand what you are saying," Thompberry replied slowly. "And the Kraken minion... the one.... possessing you? What happened to it?"

"Without it's mate, it had no reason to exist..." Thompy shook his head sadly. "It quite simply let itself die."

"Incredible..." Thompberry whispered, and for a long moment everyone remained silent.

"How is Bru?" Thompington finally asked nervously. "Is she... is she?"

"Bruberry alive and well..." Emiko smiled, but then grew serious. "But... well... Bru-Bru's mind not good."

"She remembers nothing," Thompberry sighed softly. "Nothing..."

"Ahhh," Thompy nodded sadly. "Perhaps... perhaps it's better this way.... I only wish... well..."

Emiko knew what he meant, and was trying not to cry...

But then she had an idea...

"Wait... wait..." Emiko reached over and switched on her microphone, "Patch Emiko through to Wernher please..."

kji9L7t.png

It had been nearly two full ten-days since Emiko and Chibi had left the Dessert Aerodrome... But Burberry had no real concept of time. She was happy singing and dancing and chasing butter-moths in the desert sun, and she barely noticed their absence.

But then one evening two of her new friends came and asked her if she wanted to go for a plane ride.

LLWkHUP.png

Bru giggled, and rode with them out to the Aerodrome runway, where a couple more Kerbals were waiting by a small jet.

uid9wbS.png

LLWkHUP.png

"Bru, this is Valentina and Werhner," her friend Kuzzter said when she climbed out of the buffalo rover.

"Hi hi hi hi hi..." Bru giggle.. then she paused, and looked at Werhner closely, and everyone held their breath...

KILxtFI.png

RBZuQ7B.png

But then she laughed, and started to sing...

"La la la la la..."

"Damn... I thought we had her of a second," Geo muttered.

"You know it's not going to be that easy," Kuzzter whispered back, then spoke up louder.

"Bru... These 2 fine Kerbs are going to take you back home now..."

"Home???" Bruberry looked around. "Bru is home..."

"Yes..." Kuzzter tried to be patient. "OK... but they still would like you to go with them... OK?"

"Okey Dokey Lokey..." Bru laughed. "Let's go..."

And without further hesitation, Werhner escorted the sweet, old Kerbette over to the ladder and helped her climb aboard.

nP7eYk0.png

"Is everything ready?" Val asked once Bruberry was out of earshot.

"Yes, ma'am," Kuzzter grinned back. "The Cargowing is fully fueled, and we'll be in the air within the hour."

"We'll be there, don't worry," Geschosskopf nodded. "Wouldn't miss this for the world!"

EWNk0Aj.png

"You better be..." Val smiled, then gave both of her friends a quick hug, ran over and climbed up into the small Jet's cockpit, and strapped herself in.

tarQ0Yk.png

"Are we ready back there?" val called into the passenger cabin.

"All secure," Werhner smiled over at Bru. "This will be fun."

"OK..." Bru yawned. Kerbal was low in the sky, and it was getting near Bruberry's bed time...

Which is exactly what Werhner was counting on...

b82MUpO.png

t9gq5rb.png

As Val pulled the jet's throttle to full, and the small jet started down the runway, Bru began to laugh sleepily in the back....

"Weeeee..... <Yawn>..... Weeeeee... <yawn>... weeeeee........"

GsLtIWX.png

E4kbitu.png

5iIw9cq.png

T5wLUav.png

XXaP5Cy.png

In the back, Werhner watched Bruberry as she started to nod off... and he smiled.

Everything was going exactly according to plan...

0g1T3Ns.png

nFitJic.png

The next day, Bruberry woke up in a strange... yet somehow slightly familiar... place. She put on the spacesuit that had been laid out for her, and wandered outside, only to discover a rather remarkable sight...

In front of the building she had been sleeping in was a huge, pretty boulder, all covered in green ripples. 2 Kerbals were standing in front of it along with a 3rd that was... floating??? And transparent???

"A spooky ghostie!" Bru giggled, and walked up closer to see what was going on.

Y2ckK12.png

qFGPHxU.png

ek9IYNm.png

"You... you're not messing with me, are you, Sparkles?" the Spooky Ghost seemed in a state of disbelief. "You wouldn't lie to me???"

"No, Emiko talked to krakens. Ovok is free, Sanny-ghost can go home any time she wants..." Emiko smiled broadly.

Ll5Zb9a.png

"We can start planning you a ship today," Werhner added. "But you have to understand, it's going to take time... You'll have to be patient, OK? No messing with the crew when they're building it... no haunting..."

"Oh, I don't need a ship, silly boffin," Sanny squealed. "Sanny is outta here!!!"

And she twirled and spun and headed straight for the Magic Boulder, calling back just one last time.

"Bye Sparkles... Remember to come up and see me sometime!!!"

And with a flash... Sanny the Ghost was gone...

LIlOiHj.png

AmOL0hA.png

HETOvjJ.png

"I'll be damned..." Werhner whispered softly.

"Bye Sanny... Emiko gonna miss crazy ghost."

Emiko sniffled, and choked back a tear, then turned and grinned at Bruberry.

fBjj5Qr.png

69SmoV5.png

"And you... young Kerbette..." Emiko smiled at Bruberry. "Emiko has surprise for you!"

"For me?" Bru giggled.

"Yup... Emiko and Bruberry going to big party tonight!"

"A party???" Bru laughed. "Bru-Bru loves parties!!!"

"Emiko even got Bru a shiny new suit!" 

"For me???" Bruberry beamed. "Show me, please!!!"

"OK, Emiko take you right now," Emiko smiled, then looked over at Werhner, and nodded ever so slightly...

And then she led Bruberry back into the complex.

5odSjKR.png

VdKikxk.png

Werhner smiled and waited until the two were just out of earshot, then he reached down and quietly switched on his microphone....

"OK, Kerbals... We are go... repeat, we are go... Let's move like we have a purpose..."

jnDTvEB.png

About an hour or so later, soon after Kerbol had set behind the western hills, Emiko and Werhner emerged once again from the astronaut complex, escorting Bruberry in her new suit, who stopped, and gasped at what she saw... and heard!

FRx4tWD.png

fJMNCNi.png

Where they had just been standing an hour earlier, were now laid out rows of Kerbs and Kerbettes seated in chairs before 3 large wide-screens...  and on screen was...

Badie Kerman! Singing... vocalizing something Bruberry didn't quite understand... but loved none-the-less!

"Ohhh... pretty, pretty..." She smiled, and started swaying back and forth...

Il7W1Fd.png

"Is a song from another planet..." Emiko whispered. "Is called "The Great Gig In the Sky..."

"Ohhhh," Bru whispered back. "Can we go see?"

"Yes... of course," Emiko smiled over at Werhner and began to slowly walk towards the gathering.

But halfway there Bru paused, and looked up at a great rover parked near-by. For a second Emiko held her breath, but Bru just smiled at the pretty lights, and turned back towards the music...

And Emiko let out a huge sigh of relief... as did Thompberry.

nb5RD5V.png

JwHJgQN.png

v84L74c.png

But then they reached the back row of seats... and Bruberry noticed something... odd... about the audience.

mGtZ2Tn.png

xrUGylA.png

q2UXvry.png

The crowd were all sitting there, wearing their finest suits... 

And none of them were wearing neck-rings???

No neck-rings???

But... there was only one reason Kerbals took off their neck-rings...

Bruberry turned slowly towards Emiko... and asked nervously.

"Who... who's getting married???

5xn7nnP.png

"You are, my dear..." Emiko was trying desperately now not to cry as Wernher stepped closer, and gently removed Bruberry's own neck-ring... 

"You are..."

yHQNjJ8.png

o34i03j.png

"But Professor Emiko..." Bruberry started to protest... "I'm already engaged... engaged... engaged...engaged... "

"Yes... yes, Bru remembers, doesn't she???" Emiko wept, and then pointed...  "Look... Look..."

And as Emiko and Bruberry turned and looked up the isle between the chairs, a figure stood up, and turned... 

And Bruberry paused... and gasped as she recognized who it was... and then screamed as her memories all came flooding back!!!

Z6BZCeJ.png

w0zQ64C.png

Ejq9a9I.png

oFxGTPQ.png

L7EpFGK.png

YbAqMdT.png

"Thompy?"

Bru could barely breath... Could it be??? Could it really be her long lost....

"THOMPINGTON!!!"

8Q7Wm3W.png

rcBgABH.png

And she ran as fast as she could into the arms of her long, lost love... while the gathering all broke down in cries and tears of joy at such a touching sight...

And a figure in black and red rose, and waited for the appropriate moment...

7OvFGce.png

ryQY8Ud.png

eA7gzgt.png

MReq8VA.png

BfdplqJ.png

"My friends... shhhhh... shhh....." Grand Kerbal Samantha's figure flashed across the widescreens as she tried to calm the gathering. "Please, my friends... If I may have your attention."

She waited another minute for everyone to quiet down before continuing.

"in my short tenure as Grand Kerbal, I have had the honor and privilege to learn... to grow... and to witness sights I never dreamed possible. I have been re-united with my long lost mother..." Samantha smiled at Emiko, and then over at Val. "And my long... separated... daughter."

uXvtvUC.png

"But of all the amazing experiences i have had," Samantha smiled. "None compare to the honor I am bestowed in this moment...

Samantha paused, and smiled... and in the background Badie began playing softly...

"Dearly beloved, We are gathered here, on this night, to join this Kerb & Kerbette is the long... LONG... overdue bonds of matrimony..."

FwexaRQ.png

"Oh, my god..." Chibi cried from inside Thompberry's science rover. "That is soooo.... Oh my god!!!"

jPDNLHi.png

"Do you, Thompington Kerman, take this Kerbette, Bruberry, to have and hold... through sickness and health,.... till both do you poof?"

"I do..." Thompington whispered.

"And do you,  Bruberry Kerman, take this Kerb, Thompington, to have and hold... through sickness and health,.... till both do you poof?"

"I do... oh, yes... I do... I do... I do.." Bruberry wept...

"Then by the powers invested in me... I now pronounce you Kerb & Kerbette!!! 

"You may kiss the bride!!!"

gmKNLOA.png

And behind them, the gathering cheered and roared and cried...

And soon the champagne was flowing... and someone broke out the cheese snacks...

And Chibi ran to fetch Emiko's guitar...

And the party raged on and on and on... 

And even Thompberry began to suspect things...

Well, things just might work out after all...

zdc8dBr.png

ViWUYtU.png

7c46G64.png

k1Hsrzp.png

But history... history has a strange way of repeating itself...

And on this night, while the planet partied... 

No-one, not even Thompberry, saw the strange, unknown blip appear and disappear just southwest of the station on the old, abandoned airfield. 

No-one knows of the mysterious craft... hovering... hovering in mid-air...

Then slowly descending...

b0PegOV.png

OlQnH5D.png

bXshIxx.png

sVR0t58.png

A figure in black emerges, and stares off over the water, towards the unsuspecting Space Center...

6WADluQ.png

TxTePud.png

It removes it's helmet... activates a small trans-sever... 

And a metallic voice... whispers... buzzes... in the night...

"Warrior-Scout N1-K DDE in position... I have the prey in sight..." 

"Long Live... The Hive..."

hBK4h7r.png

pzTIurj.png

Thus Ends

The Saga of Emiko Station
Volume-I

Return to Index

Can I be in the next one? (If you get to it).  ALSO THAT WAS SO EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw did Carlenna and Parka B. become normal again (I really liked Parka B.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, Singhnaut said:

Can I be in the next one? (If you get to it).  ALSO THAT WAS SO EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw did Carlenna and Parka B. become normal again (I really liked Parka B.)

Thanks. (sorry, I didn't see this until just now)
I would love to do Emiko 2, but I just don't know when I'd be able to do it. Writing Emiko Station was nearly a full time job, especially near the end, and now I spend everyday writing all sorts of fun, top-secret stuff for the actual game. I can't take away from that, or afford to be distracted. It wouldn't be fair to the team, or to any of you. 
As for Carlenna and Parka B. I'm afraid they did not... not really. (at least not yet)

On 7/15/2022 at 7:42 PM, Just Jim said:

Thanks. (sorry, I didn't see this until just now)
I would love to do Emiko 2, but I just don't know when I'd be able to do it. Writing Emiko Station was nearly a full time job, especially near the end, and now I spend everyday writing all sorts of fun, top-secret stuff for the actual game. I can't take away from that, or afford to be distracted. It wouldn't be fair to the team, or to any of you. 
As for Carlenna and Parka B. I'm afraid they did not... not really. (at least not yet)

All right, no problem

• 1 month later...

This is a message for everyone. As @Just Jimis working on KSP 2, I took the liberty of writing two extra chapters. Before I release them, I need Just Jim's approval. I hope to write it together with him, and he can edit the work, but Emiko Station may be returning!!!!!!!!

On 7/24/2022 at 5:42 PM, Angel-125 said:

@JustJim A nod to the Saga of Emiko Station in my upcoming Buffalo 2 mod:. :)

HDdZJ5A.png

Took a while for me too see, it, but that is actually really funny. As for your mod, I can't wait to download it!

6 hours ago, Singhnaut said:

This is a message for everyone. As @Just Jimis working on KSP 2, I took the liberty of writing two extra chapters. Before I release them, I need Just Jim's approval. I hope to write it together with him, and he can edit the work, but Emiko Station may be returning!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to think about this

On 9/10/2022 at 3:22 PM, Singhnaut said:

I thought it over and I'm sorry, I have to say no. please. Do NOT post them.
I am really flattered, but I cannot just blindly turn Emiko over to someone.  I know nothing of your writing style, or what you have in mind for my characters. And I do not have the time for something like this, even if it's just editing someone else's writing. All my time and energy is focused on KSP2, and I cannot and will not commit to a side project that might distract from that work. This is why I said before I was not going to do Emiko 2 yet. Maybe someday. but not now. It would be totally unfair to everyone.
I'm sorry, but my answer is no.  

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I thought it over and I'm sorry, I have to say no. please. Do NOT post them.
I am really flattered, but I cannot just blindly turn Emiko over to someone.  I know nothing of your writing style, or what you have in mind for my characters. And I do not have the time for something like this, even if it's just editing someone else's writing. All my time and energy is focused on KSP2, and I cannot and will not commit to a side project that might distract from that work. This is why I said before I was not going to do Emiko 2 yet. Maybe someday. but not now. It would be totally unfair to everyone.
I'm sorry, but my answer is no.  

That's fine!

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2015 at 1:19 PM, Just Jim said:

Y5Nk5V8.jpg

Introduction:

Five years into my latest career game, I began tracking an unusually large class-E asteroid. 
This is the story of what happened next. 

Although it is really a mission report, I will be writing it in the style of a fan-fiction illustrated novel....
...and a cheesy 1960's science-fiction adventure.

Enjoy!

Click here for a special preview of the upcoming
Emiko Station: The Movie
Emiko Station: The Movie (trailer)

Table of Contents:

Chapter 1 - Is This The End?
Chapter 2 - Harfield and Jandolin
Chapter 3 - A Brief Pause... for Espionage
Chapter 4 - The Chariot
Chapter 5 - Chariot to the Mun
Chapter 6 - Disaster at Home
Chapter 7 - Code 7
Chapter 8 - Mun Tag
Chapter 9 - Armageddon
Chapter 10 - Abduction
Chapter 11 - Aftermath
Chapter 12 - Visitors and Ghosts
Chapter 13 - Piper's Tale
Chapter 14 - Thompberry Kerman and the Tower of Power
Chapter 15 - Flyover
Chapter 16 - Spy vs. Spy
Chapter 17 - The Voice
Chapter 18 - The Crossing
Chapter 19 - The Saucer
Chapter 20 - Alpha-77
Chapter 21 - The Zaltonic Space Center
Chapter 22 - The Great Race
Chapter 23 - My Name is PIPER!!!
Chapter 24 - The Fall of Thompberry Kerman
Chapter 25 - Questions
Chapter 26 - A Brief Intermission
Chapter 27 - The Ultimate Challenge
Chapter 28 - Plans within Plans
Chapter 29 - The Doodlebug
Chapter 30 - She Speaks To... What???
Chapter 31 - The Darkening
Chapter 32 - More Plans within Plans
Chapter 33 - Space Pirates
Chapter 34 - Emiko Tower
Chapter 35 - Chariot Into Darkness
Chapter 36 - Duna Runaway
Chapter 37 - The Vision
Chapter 38 - The Pit of the Kraken
Chapter 39 - The Darkness Falls
Chapter 40 - Thompberry Station
Chapter 41 - The Mystery of the Monoliths
Chapter 42 - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Chapter 43 - Where the Heart Is
Chapter 44 - Munquake!!!
Chapter 45 - The Nightmare
Chapter 46 - Eve
Chapter 47 - The Northern Munolith
Chapter 48 - Frannie's Epiphany
Chapter 49 - Dresperation
Chapter 50 - A Ghost of the Past
Chapter 51 - Broken
Chapter 52 - The Darkest Side of the Mun
Chapter 53 - Prelude to a Backstory
Chapter 54 - Emiko's Tale - Part 1
Chapter 55 - Emiko's Magical Mystery Tour
Chapter 56 - Back to Reality... Sort of
Chapter 57 - Halo Jumping
Chapter 58 - Homecoming
Chapter 59 - Afterlife
Chapter 60 - The Vanishing
Chapter 61 - Sins of the Father
Chapter 62 - All Roads Lead to Emiko
Chapter 63 - Zombie
Chapter 64 - In The Dark
Chapter 65 - Until Death Do Us Part...
Chapter 66 - Welcome to Belladonna Cove
Chapter 67 - Emiko's Tale: Grilled Cheese and Monsters
Chapter 68 - Emiko's Tale: Happy Halloween
Chapter 69 - Screaming In The Night
Chapter 70 - Ghosts In the Machine
Chapter 71 - My Best Friend
Chapter 72 - The Looking Glass
Chapter 73 - Can't Find My Way Home
Chapter 74 - Pandora
Chapter 75 - Karn Evil
Chapter 76 - Pandora's Box
Chapter 77 - Destiny
Chapter 78 - Blinded by the Light
Chapter 79 - Terror at 20,000 Kilometers (more or less...)
Chapter 80 - Annabel Lee
Chapter 81 - The Fall of Zaltonic Electronics
Chapter 82 - Emiko's Backstory - Rise of the Un-Poofed
Chapter 83 - Emiko's Backstory - The Outsiders
Chapter 84 - Emiko's Backstory - The Mystery of the Late Dinner Guest
Chapter 85 - Emiko's Backstory - The Killer Queen
Chapter 86 - Emiko's Backstory - Going Under
Chapter 87 - Plight of the Platypus
Chapter 88 - On The Beach
Chapter 89 - Smoke on the Water
Chapter 90 - The Hotel Kalifornia
Chapter 91 - Kokomo
Chapter 92 - Echoes
Chapter 93 - An Imperative Interruption...
Chapter 94 - Wanted: Poofed or un-Poofed
Chapter 95 - Intents and Purposes
Chapter 96 - The Eye of the Witch
Chapter 97 - Cry Havoc
Chapter 98 - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Chapter 99 - Day of the Poofed
Chapter 100 - The Great Gig In the Sky

*Sorts by most replied, sees this and opens it* "CRAP THIS HAS ALMOST AD MANY CHAPTERS AS A STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE BOOK I HAVE NO TIME FOR THIS!!!" *begins reading any way*

19 hours ago, Ryaja said:

*Sorts by most replied, sees this and opens it* "CRAP THIS HAS ALMOST AD MANY CHAPTERS AS A STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE BOOK I HAVE NO TIME FOR THIS!!!" *begins reading any way*

Yeah, it's pretty long. Looking back I'm amazed I wrote all that... lol.

If you want to save time, there's always the Emiko Station movies, created by the amazingly talented @Oraldo revak. I highly recommend checking out all his KSP movies.   :vallove:  :heart_eyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, hey everyone. Emiko Station just broke 800,000 views!!!  I wonder if it will ever get to a million? 
Anyway, I had no idea so many people were still reading this. I love all of you!!!  We all do!!!  :vallove:  :heart_eyes:

Oh, and a quick editing note. I'm super embarrassed I never updated the OP to include links to Emiko: Station - The Movie.
This tragic oversight on my part has now been corrected.  :valhappy:  :happy:  

You may now return to your regularly scheduled weekend... lol

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, Just Jim said:

Oh, hey everyone. Emiko Station just broke 800,000 views!!!  I wonder if it will ever get to a million? 
Anyway, I had no idea so many people were still reading this. I love all of you!!!  We all do!!!  :vallove:  :heart_eyes:

Oh, and a quick editing note. I'm super embarrassed I never updated the OP to include links to Emiko: Station - The Movie.
This tragic oversight on my part has now been corrected.  :valhappy:  :happy:  

You may now return to your regularly scheduled weekend... lol

*excited inhale*

*sad exhale*

Okay, I'm kidding.

But every time I see that notification my hopes get up (for no reason lol) XD

On 12/31/2022 at 9:54 PM, Ryaja said:

Might I recommend First Flight once you finish Emiko? If there are two cornerstones to world building extravagance in the forums, it has to be those two!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.