The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

Not so much that... MASH changed story characters.... that I don't mind. What I meant is if halfway thru season 5 someone besides Alan Alda started playing the role of Hawkeye.... that would be so wrong!!!!

True. One of my favorite things to think of is "What would happen if this actor didn't play this part" and I realize that MASH with a different Hawkeye or Margret or Trapper would be weird

9 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I imagine once your brain gets transplanted into a machine, it's relatively easy to get transplanted again.

yes and no... remember, Thompberry is the product of some really advanced Kraken technology and telepathic ability... Have you ever seen the Trek TOS episode "Spock's Brain"? I'm thinking it could end up like McKoy if they weren't super careful.... and didn't have some serious assistance.

4 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thompberry Housing Mk2...

hqdefault.jpg

Thompberry Housing Mk3...

651687-ironman_mk_3.jpg

OMG,.... Ironman is cool... but NOMAD???  That is one BadS Probe.

I much more scare of NOMAD!!! lmao  :)

I actually quoted NOMAD a few chapters back... wonder if anyone can find it???  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

10 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

In retrospect, Iron Man doesn't look kerbal enough. Here is the Thompberry Housing Mk3..

OK, but if we're going the classic sci-fi route.... then IMO, only one pod is really good enough for ol' Thompberry  :D

Spoiler

Most of y'all probably saw that coming... lol.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

Regarding the whole Thompberry housing issue @Just Jim you may have already wrote yourself a path to being able to change it. Did you not write that the pod was disguised to look like a harmless Stayputnik probe back in chapter 77?? Why not have the disguise damaged or destroyed and the actual pod housing Thompberry's brain be revealed???

Edit: Sorry, it's just that I just yesterday completed the Automatron dlc. The final quest takes you to an old pre-war Robobrain R&D facility. Yes you read that right "Robobrain", robots using a "brain-in-a-jar" like old Thomberry as their central processor & databank. But trust me, Thompberry has nothing on the twisted logic of the Robobrains. The Robobrains you encounter in fallout 4 are killing people to "save" them, due to them interpreting the directive to "Help" the people of the Commonwealth in such a manner that the best method of "Helping" a human was to simply kill them. This being that their was only a 25% chance of survival even after doing everything they could to aid them, thus it was better to simply kill them to spare them any potential suffering or pain...

Edited by Railgunner2160

11 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

You all have valid points. However, there is only one true brain pod: 

THE APERTURE SCIENCE PERSONALITY CORE!!!

I don't know what that is, sorry...

10 hours ago, Railgunner2160 said:

Regarding the whole Thompberry housing issue @Just Jim you may have already wrote yourself a path to being able to change it. Did you not write that the pod was disguised to look like a harmless Stayputnik probe back in chapter 77?? Why not have the disguise damaged or destroyed and the actual pod housing Thompberry's brain be revealed???

That's a good point... perhaps the Stayputnik casing is just that, an outer casing.

For now I've no plans on changing Thompberry from how he looks... but I will remember this, just in case... :wink:

I've got an idea... and it hit me as I was reading the last chapter.  It seems that Kerenna  has a soft spot for Thompberry. No, not in a romantic sort of way, but she has pity/compassion for him. Of all the characters in the Emiko Station saga, she seems to want to try to understand what Thompberry is undergoing, simply being a brain in a jar. So, maybe she decided that he needs to be more than just a Stayputnik, and wants to give him the greatest gift one could give a brain in a jar - a mechanical body! This way, he can have some sort of a normal life. 

Now, with that said, maybe Kerenna begins to study how to make an Kerbroid (android: "automaton resembling a human being in form and movement," 1837, in early use often in reference to automated chess players, from Modern Latin androides (itself attested as a Latin word in English from 1727), from Greek andro- "man" (see andro-) + -eides "form, shape" (see -oid). Greek androdes meant "like a man, manly;" compare also Greek andrias "image of a man, statue." Listed as "rare" in OED 1st edition (1879), popularized from c. 1950 by science fiction writers.1)

Data-lt-commander-data-37411643-1024-768.png

You could have all kinds of fun, having her do this in secret and then when she has the artificial body created and ready to go... the possibilities are endless for a possible story line. She could sabotage the Stayputnick in an attempt to FORCE Thompberry into the new body she created for him, for starters... Then she could also fall into the mindset "I created you, you are MY child..." kind of thing.  Lots of drama at that point between her and Piper...

And use the Data analog from ST: TNG. She creates a successful body, but it's coloration and abilities are not quite right. Maybe the Thompbery/Data has a light blue or pinkish tint... something that makes him visually different.

1 Online Etymology Dictionary. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=android Accessed 20 April 2017.

Edited by adsii1970

35 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I've got an idea... and it hit me as I was reading the last chapter. 

That's another good one.

Right now I'm still debating Thompberry's final fate... I could go a couple different directions at this point, so I'll be adding all of these suggestions to the list.

Edited by Just Jim

One more idea. Maybe make some sort of thing similar to R2-D2. Allow him to have tiny wheels to roam around (So he doesn't have to be carried around like a fish bowl), and then that way he'll be free! (sorta; I mean he's still stuck in a jar, but win some, lose some).

Yeah that's probably the worst suggestion here, but I had to give it a shot

21 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Really? YEAH AN IDEA MIGHT-ACTUALLY-PROBABLY-NOT-BUT-STILL-MAYBE WORK! Woo!

I can't promise anything at this point, but it's a good idea, and it's now also on the list.  :)

The thing about Thompberry is he's such a rapidly evolving character, and the story itself has changed so much over time, that I don't want to get him locked into any one particular fate yet. We'll just have to wait and see what happens down the road. 

16 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK, but if we're going the classic sci-fi route.... then IMO, only one pod is really good enough for ol' Thompberry  :D

Most of y'all probably saw that coming... lol.... :rolleyes:

[Edited by adsii1970 - removed the video clip]

Wow. I only watched two episodes of the "reimagined" Dr. Who series when it first came out. Thought it was horrible and disrespectful to the original Dr. Who. That was a pretty good clip. May have to go back and watch it... :blush:

33 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Wow. I only watched two episodes of the "reimagined" Dr. Who series when it first came out. Thought it was horrible and disrespectful to the original Dr. Who. That was a pretty good clip. May have to go back and watch it... :blush:

I was very skeptical of the re-make for the longest time. But then i saw this episode (simply called "Dalek) and a later one called "Vincent and the Doctor" (that made me cry like a 3 year old at the end ;.;) and I was a re-born Wovian all over again.

Do NOT watch this without a box of tissues nearby:

Spoiler

And to keep this sort of on-topic... there is so much Dr. Who's influence in Emiko station I wouldn't know where to begin... 

Edited by Just Jim

50 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I was very skeptical of the re-make for the longest time. But then i saw this episode (simply called "Dalek) and a later one called "Vincent and the Doctor" (that made me cry like a 3 year old at the end ;.;) and I was a re-born Wovian all over again.

Do NOT watch this without a box of tissues nearby:

Reveal hidden contents

And to keep this sort of on-topic... there is so much Dr. Who's influence in Emiko station I wouldn't know where to begin... 

Man, Vincent and the doctor is by far my favorite Dr Who episode. I turn into a weepy baby when i watch it.

oh, and Blink. everyone HAS to watch Blink!

Edited by Thedrelle

3 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

You know, from Portal? 

The video game? 

Combustible lemons?

Ahhhh, no wonder, I don't have that one (yet), sorry.  :(

4 hours ago, Thedrelle said:

oh, and Blink. everyone HAS to watch Blink

And don't blink when you do!!!!!! By far one of the best.... :0.0:

Back on-topic... I wish I could think of something so terrifying...

Spoiler

Edited by Just Jim

4 hours ago, Thedrelle said:

Man, Vincent and the doctor is by far my favorite Dr Who episode. I turn into a weepy baby when i watch it.

Yeah, this one will rip your heart out and stomp on it a few times just for good measure. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.