The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

9 minutes ago, HeronRocketry said:

Going into space, I see...:huh:

Minor spoiler...

Spoiler

When you first mentioned it, I got an image in my head of Gene and Kerenna now at Emiko Station, playing with the Doodlebug... 

It works perfectly into the chapter.

16 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Minor spoiler...

Reveal hidden contents

When you first mentioned it, I got an image in my head of Gene and Kerenna now at Emiko Station, playing with the Doodlebug... 

It works perfectly into the chapter.

Don't mind me asking but when can we expect the next chapter?

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Don't mind me asking but when can we expect the next chapter?

Good question... lol.

I'm hoping for sometime next week. I think??? The screenshots themselves should be fairly easy, but there are a couple spots I'm still working out the dialog in my head, and that has to be perfect. Plus real life could step in at any moment and bring everything to a screeching halt.... again... :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

On 7/10/2018 at 4:16 PM, Just Jim said:

Here's the problem... I don't know if "Acting" Grand Kerbal Samantha deserves something this cool... 

Give it to Jeb, put Samantha in the crew cabin, and let Jeb practice stunts. She'll be so dizzy that she won't be able to place any of the other KSC staff under arrest for a month!

Edited by TeslaPenguin1

Wow... I love this game!!! Just when I think I've got everything ready for the next chapter... the game turns around and hands me the most unlikely gift!!! Not @SQUAD... the game itself... I've long suspected there's a little AI going on... and it wants me to write Emiko... But then again maybe I'm just nuts...

Or am I??? I'm still wrapping my head around what I just found... and it's going to add a couple more days to set up something new... But wait.... there's a new, unexpected twist in the next chapter... one I really think the game wants me to add.  :D

Edited by Just Jim

On 7/15/2018 at 12:12 PM, Just Jim said:

Wow... I love this game!!! Just when I think I've got everything ready for the next chapter... the game turns around and hands me the most unlikely gift!!! Not @SQUAD... the game itself... I've long suspected there's a little AI going on... and it wants me to write Emiko... But then again maybe I'm just nuts...

Or am I??? I'm still wrapping my head around what I just found... and it's going to add a couple more days to set up something new... But wait.... there's a new, unexpected twist in the next chapter... one I really think the game wants me to add.  :D

Is the Game writing your story now? 

The Saga of Emiko Station. Written by Just Jim and Kerbal Space Progam. 

15 minutes ago, Thedrelle said:

Truth is, the game has been writing the story for quite a while now, ever since the introduction of Glimmeroid/Magic Boulders. There have been several times where I modified the story because of changes and/or additions to the game... or weird gifts like yesterday.

In fact... If you think back to the very beginning, Emiko Station all started because the game gave me a monster asteroid to play around with...  ;)

Edited by Just Jim

23 hours ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Another surprise asteroid that gets slung into orbit by one of kerbin's moons?

No, but that did happen to me when I used @Angel-125's mod, KerbalKomets:

It's a great mod and works well - and occasionally will give you some strange gifts! :D

1 hour ago, Thedrelle said:

Yup, that happens. Updates of mods and core game updates always give neat things to exploit in fan fics...

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Truth is, the game has been writing the story for quite a while now, ever since the introduction of Glimmeroid/Magic Boulders. There have been several times where I modified the story because of changes and/or additions to the game... or weird gifts like yesterday.

In fact... If you think back to the very beginning, Emiko Station all started because the game gave me a monster asteroid to play around with...  ;)

:D

7 hours ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Is this a confirmation of my theory?

No, it wasn't an asteroid... ;)

And I don't think I can use it... It's going to create a conflict down the road... Forget I mentioned anything...

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Well if you're not gonna use it, at least tell us what it is!

Nothing... false alarm... just a cool land feature... floating trees.

Edited by Just Jim

10 hours ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Well if you're not gonna use it, at least tell us what it is!

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Nothing... false alarm... just a cool land feature... floating trees.

I'm sorry... I didn't mean to sound short, or like I was trying to be a SmartS...

Sometimes I find something in the game I think is really cool, and my first thought is "I have got to write this into Emiko somehow..."  But then when I start to think it through, I find it's not going to work into the overall plot, or create a contradiction with something I wrote earlier. That's what's happening here... if I do what I originally intended, it could create a massive problem down the road.

So I'm scrapping the idea, and working on the chapter from a different angle.

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Sometimes I find something in the game I think is really cool, and my first thought is "I have got to write this into Emiko somehow..."  But then when I start to think it through, I find it's not going to work into the overall plot, or create a contradiction with something I wrote earlier. That's what's happening here... if I do what I originally intended, it could create a massive problem down the road.

So I'm scrapping the idea, and working on the chapter from a different angle.

@TeslaPenguin1: As a friend of @Just Jim, I can tell you that between the two of us, this happens quite often. We do bounce ideas off one another. And to be completely honest, there are times that when I am sharing elements of Kerny's Journal, I realize how goofy it sounds. On occasion, @Just Jim has pointed out to me on a few occasions, "are you sure you want to do this considering you've done that?" and it is at that point I normally take a couple of days to work out the details in my head before I begin writing. 

I try really hard to not drop teaser ideas unless I am absolutely sure they are going to work. There's nothing worse than writing yourself into a box that messes up the destination of the story AND the future of your characters. Believe it or not, once you've hit the tenth chapter, you become attached to your main characters... :D

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

@TeslaPenguin1: As a friend of @Just Jim, I can tell you that between the two of us, this happens quite often. We do bounce ideas off one another. And to be completely honest, there are times that when I am sharing elements of Kerny's Journal, I realize how goofy it sounds. On occasion, @Just Jim has pointed out to me on a few occasions, "are you sure you want to do this considering you've done that?" and it is at that point I normally take a couple of days to work out the details in my head before I begin writing. 

I try really hard to not drop teaser ideas unless I am absolutely sure they are going to work. There's nothing worse than writing yourself into a box that messes up the destination of the story AND the future of your characters. Believe it or not, once you've hit the tenth chapter, you become attached to your main characters... :D

Yeah, that's exactly it. And I've been writing this for well over 2 years, so it's easy to forget something I wrote 50 chapters ago. That's why I'm constantly checking and re-checking things I've written a long time ago, to make sure everything stays tied together, and there are no major contradictions.

I'll give y'all a good example of things I'm trying to aviod. Many of you probably know from my comments I'm a big MASH fan... Something I caught a long time ago... Colonel Potter has a horse, her name is Sophie, and she made several appearances in the later seasons. 

However... in the episode "Dear Mildred", where Radar finds the horse, gets Hawkeye and B.J. to help rescue it, and give it to Colonel Potter... Potter comments...

"Why he can't be more than three years old..."

Yes, that's right... in the first episode with Colonel Potter's horse, it was MALE!!!  But in episodes to follow, it became a mare named Sophie... <_<

This is the kind of blatant mistake I try desperately to not repeat... even if it means completely re-writing a chapter to do it.  

45 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'll give y'all a good example of things I'm trying to aviod. Many of you probably know from my comments I'm a big MASH fan... Something I caught a long time ago... Colonel Potter has a horse, her name is Sophie, and she made several appearances in the later seasons. 

However... in the episode "Dear Mildred", where Radar finds the horse, gets Hawkeye and B.J. to help rescue it, and give it to Colonel Potter... Potter comments...

"Why he can't be more than three years old..."

Yes, that's right... in the first episode with Colonel Potter's horse, it was MALE!!!  But in episodes to follow, it became a mare named Sophie... <_<

This is the kind of blatant mistake I try desperately to not repeat... even if it means completely re-writing a chapter to do it.

And this was only ONE of M*A*S*H's problems. I love the show... But there are many, many contradictions. But in all fairness, the show had eleven seasons and about six or seven main scriptwriters.

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

And this was only ONE of M*A*S*H's problems. I love the show... But there are many, many contradictions. But in all fairness, the show had eleven seasons and about six or seven main scriptwriters.

Agreed... this was just one example that came right to mind, so I used it.

As far as re-writing the next chapter, I already have a new idea that should work nicely... ;)

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Believe it or not, once you've hit the tenth chapter, you become attached to your main characters...

As an author myself, I agree with both you and @Just Jim on this.

Also, floating trees? Gravioli? I guess we’ll never know...

Edited by TeslaPenguin1

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Wow, @Just Jim will probably shoot me for going so far off the topic of Emiko Station, but @TeslaPenguin1, do you have a link for yours?

What? Oh, no... that's fine. I totally support all the other writers on here, and I don't mind, so long as it isn't all the time, or the moderators might get a little annoyed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.