The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

5 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

I think it might need MOAR RCS!! 

I agree it does... this one was just a test shot. I'm figuring maybe a half dozen or so on each side should do it.

But the bigger issue I discovered is the ship is skittering around all over the place, which makes Samantha move all around on the ramp. It's partially the wheels, but more the overall weight I think. This beast is just too heavy for the number of wheels it currently has. 

So this morning's project is to get it to sit still when it's landed. I may have to add more wheels, or switch to landing legs... and maybe tie-downs... Airships are normally tied down, it shouldn't look weird if I do it right. Other than that it's already flight tested, and the numbers are... well... sick... hehehe.

If I did the math right, this monster can circumnavigate Kerbin in less than 8 hours... with fuel to spare...  :0.0:

Edited by Just Jim

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

But the bigger issue I discovered is the ship is skittering around all over the place, which makes Samantha move all around on the ramp. It's partially the wheels, but more the overall weight I think. This beast is just too heavy for the number of wheels it currently has. 

Have you tried adjusting the dampers and springs? I find that can make a huge difference to stability. If either value is too high or too low you'll get poorly-damped oscillations.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Have you tried adjusting the dampers and springs? I find that can make a huge difference to stability. If either value is too high or too low you'll get poorly-damped oscillations.

I'm working on that right now, and I've tweaked them into behaving a little better, but I think it's the overall weight. This thing tops out at like 350 ton fully fueled, and the springs just can't cope.

However... I think I have a design with a bunch of the Bison landing legs that's going to work, and still looks cool. Fingers crossed, the design is promising.

Also... @0111narwhalz... I have Kerbal Foundries, and finally found that gas turbine... It was in utilities, not electric... no wonder I missed it. Anyway, I was looking at the ones that come with the airship, but they're too big to really hide... this little one might be just the thing!!!

13 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah, true :P. But it’s still an airship, and they aren’t known for being very fast.

True.

In her present design, she's topping out at about 130 m/s... real fast for an airship. :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, SchwinnTropius said:

Loving it. :)

Yeah, me too!  I think this will do.

Now I just have to get everyone in formation, and start taking screenshots...  :cool:

Plus all the rest of the chapter... but those will be easy compared to this set.

OOoooooh... I TOTALLY LOVE THAT IDEA!!!!!!!!
(and if it was on YouTube, after the dramatic reveal there would be a random explosion, completely ruining the drama, and distracting every Kerbal who heard it.)

Edited by HansonKerman

Smoke started generating.

”Dun, dun, dun, dun dadun, dun, dadun,” someone slowly started singing. No one noticed.

”Duun duu duu dundadu dum da dum, dum da dum!”

The smoke began to clear, revealing “Acting” Grand Kerbal Samantha.

She began to slowly appear and walk down the ramp.

Somewhere in the distance, a small explosion sounded.

Although it was small, the suddenness of the explosion made Samantha jump, trip on the ramp, and go rolling into the wall of R&D. 

As Jeb helped her up, Samantha said, “Well, that completely ruined the drama. And I think I have a small bruise on my left arm.”

And everyone agreed.

About the drama thing, at least.

Edited by HansonKerman
@001narwhalz’ idea

2 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

"What was that?" everyone in hearing vicinity said, even Samantha.

Then she said, "Well, that completely ruined the drama."

And everyone agreed.

Better yet, she starts in surprise and falls down the ramp. Get some slapstick in here! :sticktongue:

17 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That's cooooooooooooool! How many RCS thrusters did you need?

5 hours ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

None. He used the turbine generator from kerbal foundries.

Yup... In the end I used two of the gas turbines... and the Bison landing legs. Here's what I think will be the final version:

1g225et.png

The turbines are located underneath the front and rear command pods, and pointed towards the middle, so they get a nice, thick steam/smoke puff... And the legs are holding nice, so Samantha isn't sliding around the ramp anymore.

I think this one will work for what we need.

2 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

"What was that?" everyone in hearing vicinity said, even Samantha.

Then she said, "Well, that completely ruined the drama."

And everyone agreed.

35 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Better yet, she starts in surprise and falls down the ramp. Get some slapstick in here! :sticktongue:

I have it all worked out... been running this part through my head all day, in fact. 

I can promise you two things... @HansonKerman is not too terribly far off... not at all... and I will have some comic moments.

But at the same time... I can 100% guarantee you will come to hate Samantha in a way you never thought possible... <_<

bwaahahahaha

Edited by Just Jim

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

But at the same time... I can 100% guarantee you will come to hate Samantha in a way you never thought possible... <_<

bwaahahahaha 

A small explosion and cementation of Samantha's status as a villain… Some very unpleasant possibilities.

24 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

A small explosion and cementation of Samantha's status as a villain… Some very unpleasant possibilities.

Oh... no.... I think I can safely say this is going to be a little... different... hehehehe

Hey @SQUAD... we seriously need an "Evil Laugh" emoji... bwaahahahaha

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

have it all worked out... been running this part through my head all day, in fact. 

I can promise you two things... @HansonKerman is not too terribly far off... not at all... and I will have some comic moments.

Whatever you have planned, I don’t think still images will do it justice. You gotta gif this one. :D

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Hey @SQUAD... we seriously need an "Evil Laugh" emoji... bwaahahahaha

Hear hear! :huh:

Hey everyone.

I know y'all have been waiting, so here's a quick update... I'm about 80% done, and so far the screenshots look great!!! I'm adding in two more parts, so it's not all about the "Acting" Grand Kerbal... Those are done, and here's a small teaser...

Spoiler

wYV4q86.png

I don't see a problem finishing up the screenshots tomorrow, the tricky ones are done. Then get everything sorted, and a couple Photoshopped... nothing too hard this time, and I'm hoping to have this one written up by this weekend or sooner... I hope. This one is going to be fun.  <_<

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.