The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I'm honored to be in this!  Thank you.

My pleasure. To be completely honest, I wasn't going to bring any more people into this, but when you said "I didn't do it" a couple weeks ago, I was already picking out the Halloween costumes for this chapter. I took one look at at your avatar, and I knew it would fit perfectly.  :)

16 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

That IS a weird town...

15 hours ago, GDJ said:

Oh yeah. A 9/10 on the weirdo-meter.

2 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

ERROR! ERROR! WIERDNESS OVERLOAD!

Oh yeah.... but it's Halloween. :rolleyes:

Actually I decided to have some fun and really weird Emiko's backstory out for a few reasons.

Reason One: The Sims2 has werewolves, zombies and all the rest already included, and some of the greatest Sci-Fi shows had some version of them (Twilight Zone and X-files instantly comes to mind) so why not take advantage?

Reason Two: Thompberry. When I put Thompberry's brain in a jar, I was't sure how y'all would react. But to my surprise and delight, most everyone embraced him without question, and he quickly became everyone's favorite "love to hate" character. So I figure if I can get away with making a kerbal into a brain-pod, then adding zombies shouldn't be any big deal. And speaking of zombies....

Reason Three: Carlenna Kerman. When Carlenna became possessed, to my surprise everyone immediately jumped the gun and started calling her a zombie. And I was paying attention, believe me. It was quite fun to read  all the zombie comments, and while this wasn't quite my original intention, it didn't take much of a change to make them work. Or at least my version of a zombie... 

So just think of Belladonna Cove as a town from The Twilight Zone. 
And those of you that haven't seen the Twilight Zone, watch a few episodes, doesn't really matter which ones, you won't be disappointed... 

11 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

Awesome integration of how Emiko is so intelligent and has such nice and bizarre friends just like her also like how Jim included the mad rocket scientist everyone needs a fun parent that supports their zany ideas:prograde::targetpro::0.0:

Thanks. I thought it might add a fun twist if the rich girls daddy turned out to be a bit of a crack-up...

9 hours ago, RA3236 said:

Err, @Just Jim, half of the pics arent working on iPad here, no idea what is going on... But very interesting!

Hmmmm, I'm not sure why that would be, it's working from my end. Maybe Imgur hiccuping?

Edited by Just Jim

37 minutes ago, Buzz light fear said:

has anyone done the math to see what their age is in Kerbal years because I am 54 kerb-years old and don't look a day over eighteen just wondering how old jim would be in Kerbal years.:0.0::antinormal:

I would be 162... but I swear I don't look a day over 150!  :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yup, you got it... I'm an older nerd...   :)

Well your writing style seems to be a bit more fluid and interesting than some of the other writers today. I also like the 50s style setup for the story because it just fits in with my favorite chunk of history because I am a space race nerd so it makes the style fit together perfectly.

3 hours ago, Buzz light fear said:

Well your writing style seems to be a bit more fluid and interesting than some of the other writers today. I also like the 50s style setup for the story because it just fits in with my favorite chunk of history because I am a space race nerd so it makes the style fit together perfectly.

Why thank you!

I suppose most of it would be age and experience. Not experience as a writer, but as a reader. As a writer, I've done a couple small things, but nothing close to Emiko Station. But I've been an avid reader from the time I could pick up a book, and I grew up on all the greatest authors: Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, etc... And eventually I found the really hardcore authors like Frank Herbert and H.P. Lovecraft.

For the record, I was born in 1962. So I was also lucky enough to grow up on some of the best 50's and 60's sci-fi movies of all times. And thanks to the practically unlimited cable we have these days, I've gotten to watch a lot of my favorites all over again just recently.  :)

So there is a lot of weird stuff floating around in my head, and when I'm writing a new chapter for Emiko, I'm usually thinking to myself: 
"How would <insert favorite author or movie> have written this???"

Edited by Just Jim

13 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

Ah-HA! So THAT's how all those Kerbals can live for 200+ years so easily - even in human years they're not even 70 by then. ^^

As long as I have the talking stick, is there a specific reason you keep calling them "Kerbins" instead of "Kerbals?"

Quite honestly, because I'm constantly getting them mixed up, especially if I'm typing really fast. :rolleyes:

I'll hunt them down tomorrow and fix them.

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Quite honestly, because I'm constantly getting them mixed up, especially if I'm typing really fast. :rolleyes:

I'll hunt them down tomorrow and fix them.

Way I figure, "kerb" is kind of like an adjective. You have "kerbal," those who exhibit the traits of "kerb." Then "kerbin," the "place/home of kerbs." Finally, "kerbol," which might be "star of kerbs."

Makes sense in my head, anyway.

Hey, before I forget, a good friend messaged me and pointed out something out I hadn't really considered about how I'm doing Emiko's backstory. It's nothing bad, just that it's starting to veer away from being a mission report and into more of a fan work. Now I'm not terribly concerned if the moderators decide to move it, one section is just as good as the other, but to keep them from having to worry about it, I'm going to go back to the present, so to speak, and play KSP for the next chapter or two, then go back to Emiko's backstory.

Besides, I just checked, and it looks like most all of the mods I'm using have updated to 1.2. I'm not positive about texture replacer or OPM/Kopernicus yet, but I think all the rest have caught up. And I won't lie, I really want to try this update out, from what I'm reading it sounds like a good one. :)

Edited by Just Jim

Well... I went ahead and upgraded, and I was right. Everything seems to be working except Texture Replacer and OPM/Kopernikus. I also had some really odd rainbow cat looking thing jumping across my loading screen... anyone know what the deal is with that?

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Well... I went ahead and upgraded, and I was right. Everything seems to be working except Texture Replacer and OPM/Kopernikus. I also had some really odd rainbow cat looking thing jumping across my loading screen... anyone know what the deal is with that?

It's a feature of the new Module Manager. It's temporary and set to disappear on November 1st.

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, thanks. I have 3 cats, so I was rather amused actually. It's definitely different.

Yesssss.....it's been the subject of some controversy over at the module manager thread. Personally I pay it no mind since it's temporary. Just enjoy the pretty colours. :D

Just now, GDJ said:

Yesssss.....it's been the subject of some controversy over at the module manager thread. Personally I pay it no mind since it's temporary. Just enjoy the pretty colours. :D

I was just reading it... wow. Quite a dust up. Between you and me, Emiko Station is already so weird I barely notice a rainbow cat at this point, and kinda wish I could work it into the story somehow... :D

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I was just reading it... wow. Quite a dust up. Between you and me, Emiko Station is already so weird I barely notice a rainbow cat at this point, and kinda wish I could work it into the story somehow... :D

Call it a "Spacial Anomoly". Star Trek been using that caa-caa for 5 decades. If it works, use it!!

On 15/10/2016 at 11:59 AM, Just Jim said:

Carlenna Kerman. When Carlenna became possessed, to my surprise everyone immediately jumped the gun and started calling her a zombie. And I was paying attention, believe me. It was quite fun to read  all the zombie comments, and while this wasn't quite my original intention, it didn't take much of a change to make them work. Or at least my version of a zombie... 

Why does this, for some strange reason, give me the feeling that Carlenna isn't a zombie?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.