The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

13 minutes ago, Andem said:

You, sir, have incredible resolve. Bravo.

Thanks, but it isn't that.  I'm really bad with stuff like this.
But I have a really overactive brain, and the worst thing I can do is sit around all day and mope. 
I seriously need to do something.
Plus I've already had this chapter written out in my head for days, so that part is easy.

Screenshots are sorted and uploaded, and my daughter just finished making dinner. 
Once we're done eating I'll write this up.

Y'all are gonna love this one!  :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Thanks, but it isn't that.  I'm really bad with stuff like this.
But I have a really overactive brain, and the worst thing I can do is sit around all day and mope. 
I seriously need to do something.
Plus I've already had this chapter written out in my head for days, so that part is easy.

It's times like these when I write text-only interludes instead of chapters.

Chapter 42
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Dedicated to my cat, Lady Stardust... R.I.P.

It had been days since the twins disappearance on Ike, and no sign of them could be found either on or around Ike, or even Duna for that matter, and this frustrated Thompberry Kerman to no end. High atop Duna station, he cycled between concern and rage, and was at a complete loss, which only helped to infuriate him further. How could they have just disappeared? Even dead, he should have been able to detect their bodies... but so far they had found nothing. And no sign of any monolith. Only a rag, hanging from a flagpole, which seemed to be some sort of odd joke.

LEz9iPh.jpg

Then there was the matter of Kerenna, and her apparent insanity. This was another cause for concern for Thompberry; not because he really cared for her well being, but because she was his biggest key to controlling Gene Kerman. If she had, in fact, gone mad, then this could present a complication in his plans. But what else could it be? When the twins vanished, she began ranting and raving impossibilities. But when Thompberry checked Kerenna's flightsuit's vital-sign indicators, they all read the same... no change in pulse, respiration, temperature. What she had told him made no sense, but the sensors said she was telling the truth.

When Thompberry tried to question her on the matter, she whispered, "Not here... in private... they're listening...." Then she crawled into a command copula and shut the door before she spoke again. "Do you want to know where they are, thing in a jar??? Do you?? hehehehehehe..... I can tell you...... "

"Yes.... <gurgle>  Tell me... <gurgle, gurgle> What are you hiding?  TELL ME!!!!

Kerenna looked out her windows to the left and to the right, then softly whispered, "They were captured...."

"<Gurgle> What??? <Gurgle>"

"Yes.... you pickled abomination, they were captured and spirited away from here... by space pirates!!!"

Space pirates indeed, Thompberry thought, clearly she's gone mad...

HRPQkMk.jpg

But what had happened to the twins???

Days earlier, after losing contact with Ike colony, Gem and Theo slowly approached the strange object they had spotted in the distance, until Gem made out what appeared to be lights, and brought the mighty chariot to a halt. "Theo, I think it's a ship..."

xYA9v4m.jpg

60e84W4.jpg

"Are you sure?" Theo asked quietly.

"No... not really.  But I'm stopping here for now.  Come take a look"

And the two of them climbed to the top of the Chariot and get a better look.

JevlXdq.jpg

CjeGjxC.jpg

From here she could see it was definitely some sort of large ship, and Gem gasped and turned to her brother. "Who could that be?  I've never seen anything like that before. What do you think should we do?"

7coCAtB.jpg

Theo thought about it for a few minutes. "I think we should investigate."

"Are you sure?" Gem asked nervously.

"Yes," Theo replied, but then added, "But let's wait until the sun sets, so they don't see us."

Gem nodded, "Agreed."

And so they waited until the sun set behind Duna, and the shadows hid their approach.

mpIihvb.jpg

SG9wT2h.jpg

As carefully as they could manage in space suits, the twins slowly crept towards the strange ship in the Ike gloom. And as they got close, they noticed a strange green glowing coming from the mid section.

S6Aph06.jpg

ylV56xl.jpg

But when they came around a huge rock, they spied someone at the base of the ship near what appeared to be an ore drilling rig of some sort. And before they could hide again, the figure turned and saw the two of them standing there, and let out a strangely familiar sounding snort.

VVXrSG0.jpg

ojKTYNu.jpg

IgPtMO7.jpg

Instantly Gem recognized the strange snort, and gave out a squeal as she ran into and knocked over the now very familiar individual.

KqWCL1x.jpg

vUOZ1mT.jpg

zzEkESI.jpg

eRXEAv7.jpg

"Captain K.... OMG... How???  What???? How are you here???"

Picking himself up and brushing himself off, the smiling Captain Kuzzter turned to the grinning twins. "I could ask you the same question, my dear.  How did you find us?"

"We didn't know you were here, sir," Theo chimed in, "We are supposed to be investigating a monolith anomaly."

vAHUcxu.jpg

"A mono-what now?" the captain asked.

Theo explained about the monolith they had found near the space center, and the weird sphere of nothing emanating from it. Then from above in the cargo hold, first mate Geschosskopf grumbled, "Then we have a problem, sir"

"Explain?" the captain asked.

"Well, sir, as you know, this little device of Carlenna and mine is designed to hide our ship's signature and blanket us, so to speak, from being scanned or detected. But if they're scanning for nothing, as the boy says, then there is a small chance we could be found."

"Wait," Theo interrupted, "What do you mean, blanketed?"

So captain Kuzzter revealed one of their biggest secrets, a device Geschosskopf had rigged long ago that could hide their submarines from unwary ships until it was too late. And in the voyage from homeworld to Ike, he and Carlenna had managed to cobble together a similar device for this ship from parts they had salvaged and brought along.

Scla814.jpg

9fpcCZd.jpg

Then it was Gem's turn to ask, "Captain... about this ship."

Captain Kuzzter beamed, "Isn't she a beauty?  Kids, say hello to the Dresperado."

"Dresperado... so you're going to Dres?" Theo surmised.

"Correct... well, until a few minutes ago." the captain explained, "Our mission doesn't really exist, and isn't in any official records. But we were tasked to explore Dres, yes. And it turned out to be much easier to get there via Duna and Ike, which would provide cover for us in the Duna fleet, as well as a safe place to stop and refuel. But the two of you here, now... this... complicates things considerably."

frc0AVd.jpg

"What do you mean?" both twins asked together.

The captain stood silent for a second, until Geschosskopf answered, "We have to leave... now."

7QIGpgW.jpg

"He's right," the captain continued, "We've been listening in to what has transpired, and if there is even the slightest chance this Thompberry, whatever it is, can find us, then we need to put as much space between us and it as we can. And...."

"And?" Gem asked, already suspecting the answer.

"And you're coming with us." Captain Kuzz said, immediately understanding and half-dreading the implications of what he was doing. "We can't let you go back, not only to protect us, but also yourselves. This.. thing.... I heard the threats it made against you both, and there is no way I'm letting it get you again, not if we can get you out of here."

"But..." Theo began.

"No buts. No. This ship can hold 5, so we can just do it, and we're leaving as fast as we can. Also, we are no longer going to Dres. Our mission, from here out, is to get you two safely home if possible. Are we all agreed?" 

From the cargo hold Geschosskopf and Carlenna both answered curtly and without question, "Agreed." 

yfBCMCy.jpg

"Then it's settled, you two get aboard and strapped in, the crew and I will make final preparations for launch. With luck, we'll be gone before the sun rises."

"Yes, sir," the twins replied.

The twins then climbed aboard and strapped themselves in for what, they did not know. But anything was better than Thompberry's constant threats, so they made no objections.

Ol8liy2.jpg

But before he boarded, Captain Kuzz walked off a few meters and did something strange. Knowing they would not be able to contact the colony without revealing themselves to Thompberry, the captain pulled out a flagpole and attached a rag to it. It was a long shot, but there was one person he suspected might know they were here... if Gene had confided in her.. then perhaps. And if she did.. then maybe, just maybe, she would be able to reason out who could have rescued the twins and left no trace.

4159r6O.jpg

wA1lBAr.jpg

Once he was finished, the captain climbed aboard and prepared the huge ship for launch.

2BZWutl.jpg

R5lr1Gv.jpg

RymhfGk.jpg

There was only room for 4 in the cockpit, but Carlenna, being the loner she was, volunteered to ride in the cargo hold seat and monitor the blanketing device.

1MIsWzl.jpg

Once the cargo hold doors were closed and secured, and solar panels retraced, the captain grinned and pushed his ship to full throttle, and as promised, lifted off just as the sun began to rise over the eastern hills.

NDXXxcy.jpg

44NvLyW.jpg

Once in orbit, the twins watched as Kuzz and Geschosskopf began to plot a course back to Kerbin. 

But then Kuzzter whistled softly. "Oh.... wonderful...."

ha1vxon.jpg

Geschosskopf looked at his screen and scowled, "Are you sure you want to do that?"

"What choice do we have?" was all the captain answered.

2wZ2ZnK.jpg

"Children, I have good news and bad news." Captain Kuzzter announced, "The good news is we'll be home in less than 200 days!"

IoPmXbZ.jpg

In the back, the twins looked happy, but also worried. "And the bad news?"

"The bad news," Kuzz began, "Well, look at the screen and see for yourselves. The bad news is we're going to have to pass dangerously close to the sun."

DqRSXQJ.jpg

sQDeFjq.jpg

And just minutes later, the course already plotted and laid in, Kuzzter throttled up and aimed the massive ship right for the heart of the sun, and prayed he wasn't making the biggest mistake of his life.

4N1MXkg.jpg

cO6SzXW.jpg

hNWuB12.jpg

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over.....

Go to Chapter 43
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

Either this will work.....

......or the smell of bacon (or the kerbal equivalent to pigs) in the cockpit will be overpowering.....

Actually 3 million isn't that close. Just do a slow roll around the sun to distribute the heat better.

Edited by GDJ

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Chapter 42
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Hehehe, the shady pirates working for the nefarious Parka B at cross-purposes to Gene and the rest of the good guys are preferable to the Spawn of Yuggoth Thompberry.  Nice twist :)

BTW, my condolences for Lady Stardust.  i drink to her shade.

11 hours ago, GDJ said:

Either this will work.....

......or the smell of bacon (or the kerbal equivalent to pigs) in the cockpit will be overpowering.....

Actually 3 million isn't that close. Just do a slow roll around the sun to distribute the heat better.

I haven't actually tested this.  Hoping it will be far enough.  But if I had planned this better, I would have added the huge retractable radiator panels, just in case.

10 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Oh dang! This is getting intense!

Thompberry doesn't seem like much of a bad guy anymore. Kinda feel sorry for him :/

Oh, he's still bad.... but I wanted to add some depth to him... make him more interesting than your average run-of-the-mill evil overlord. 

10 hours ago, insert_name said:

nice chapter, what mods are used on the dresperado

10 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

@insert_name As far as I can tell, none.

He's right, it's stock.... except.  It has the new probe core that came with the 1.1 pre-release.  It's the big, gold foil covered one that's also in asteroid day. 

I couldn't' say before this chapter, but this is how I boxed myself in with not being able to revert the game back to 1.0.5.  If I do, this ship won't work anymore.

10 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

@Just Jim I'm very sorry about your cat.

56 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

BTW, my condolences for Lady Stardust.  i drink to her shade.

Thank you

9 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I bet @max_creative will be a bit miffed about the aborted Dres mission.

6 hours ago, galaxyguy said:

:( No Dres?

;.;

6 hours ago, RA3236 said:

Dres?

Dres???

I still have plans for Dres, never fear. 

57 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hehehe, the shady pirates working for the nefarious Parka B at cross-purposes to Gene and the rest of the good guys are preferable to the Spawn of Yuggoth Thompberry.  Nice twist :)

yeah.....  I thought it might be fun... :cool:

10 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Yeah, that definitely looks like one of my transfer orbits :) 

hehe, I was surprised I nailed it so easy.  I originally thought I may have to do a couple course corrections to make this work, but apparently Kerbin and Duna are in a perfect window for something like this, so it must be fate...  :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh hey, I just noticed this thread went over 50,000 views! 

I can't believe it's grown into something this big...

You all are awesome!!!  :cool:

Can you blame us? @Kuzzter and @Parkaboy have BOTH complemented your work for newcomers to see, and those of us who have been here since Ch. 1 are absolutely SURE you will provide us with more gripping story, @Just Jim. Keep up the good work. This Kermoji expresses 99% of the people who read this opinion: :D.

I love how the story evolves, hope that Kuzz will have some event that will make him abort the rescue mission and the twins will end up at Dres. Does Kerenna know that the twins are with Kuzz (did she asume they are with Kuzz from the flag or did they leave a message) and acts crazy?

Sorry for your cat, i lost my dog at christmass 2014 from old age at the age of 18 and it was a sad thing.

P.S. May i suggest a soundtrack from the game Solar winds? There are portions that fit well with the plot

1 hour ago, kookoo_gr said:

I love how the story evolves, hope that Kuzz will have some event that will make him abort the rescue mission and the twins will end up at Dres.

We can't really see where Dres is on the map plot. Maybe this trajectory actually gives you a Dres transfer if you miss Kerbin...

18 hours ago, GDJ said:

Lol,  just like the rotesserie chickens at the store!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.