The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

OMG!!! 

Emiko Station is now, by definiton, a novel!!!

This afternoon I did something I should have a long time ago, back all the text into a Word document, just in case something bad happens to the forum. I did, both by chapter and one huge Emiko Complete. 

So I looked it up, and The Nebula Awards catagories for writing are as follows:

Short Story: under 7.500 words
Novelette: 7,500 - 17,500
Novella: 17,500 - 40,000
Novel: over 40,000 words

According to the word counter in Word, Emiko Station has 76,034 words total!

Emiko Station is officially a book!!!   :cool:

Congrats! :)

On 2016-08-06 at 9:55 PM, Geschosskopf said:

I hope you can fix Emiko.  That spiral spaghettification looked pretty painful :)

Especially when at the end you go out in a brilliant flash of light. That, also painful. But great story @Just Jim! I hope you can get Emiko back.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:55 PM, Geschosskopf said:

I hope you can fix Emiko.  That spiral spaghettification looked pretty painful :)

11 hours ago, Wildcat111 said:

Especially when at the end you go out in a brilliant flash of light. That, also painful. But great story @Just Jim! I hope you can get Emiko back.

I changed the wording when she disappears just a little:

The last words I heard Emiko say were sort of muted whisper, like she was speaking thru a long tube... "Werhner... Werhner... can you still hear me???  Everything is swirling... Werhner.... Werhner.................... Werhner....... it tickles....."

Edited by Just Jim

14 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OMG!!! 

This afternoon I did something I should have a long time ago, back all the text into a Word document, just in case something bad happens to the forum. I did, both by chapter and one huge Emiko Complete. 

Yay! \o/ Good job, @Just Jim! :D:cool:

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

The last words I heard Emiko say were sort of muted whisper, like she was speaking thru a long tube... "Werhner... Werhner... can you still hear me???  Everything is swirling... Werhner.... Werhner.................... Werhner....... it tickles....."

Like her voice is slowly fading.

4 hours ago, RA3236 said:

In Chapter 59 when Jandolin and Harfield are reunited, Jandolins dialect of, "nd who is she" is extremely amusing :) 

Fixed  :wink:

Hey everyone, I'm working on the next chapter, but I caught a cold, so I'm not moving so fast, sorry.  :P

On 8/13/2016 at 5:40 PM, Just Jim said:

OMG!!! 

If you account for every picture being worth a thousand words, your total is much higher!

On 8/9/2016 at 9:42 AM, Just Jim said:

The new colored ones I'm using mostly some creative HyperEditing.  I know it could be considered cheating, but it's the only way to make the wormhole effect seem plausible.

Have you read my thread on using HE ship lander?  The same idea works for landing and positing Magic Boulders

The floating boulders like this one are a game glitch:

WOuTSVp.png

And I'm starting to find them all over the place, which is great.  But also a little creepy...it's almost like the game itself is giving them to me to play around with... 

{....*I think he's on to us*.....*Could be....are we in danger of a Non-interference Directive Violation do you think?*.....*Maybe...advise the Advanced Interactions Directorate and then stand by...this may be becoming a First Contact situation*....}

Wow...I didn't know there was such great scenery on Kerbin itself!  I love the camper!  I need to get back into this game and do some Homeworld exploration!

I suspected Kerbals could survive reentry, but that was amazing!  That was a great two-seater rocket too....I must try some of your 'early days' designs, or at least come up with my own.....I tend to be more of a flyer than a builder....

You could rename this chapter "At the Mountain of Madness"  with what went on there....though a return to the site might be a follow-up eventually.

Great intros of the Original three, plus Gene!  This was an over all great chapter and congrats on reaching novel length!  :D

Sorry you got sick.....hope you feel better soon.......

On 8/13/2016 at 5:43 PM, Andem said:

Congrats! :)

On 8/14/2016 at 7:51 AM, TopHeavy11 said:

Yay! \o/ Good job, @Just Jim! :D:cool:

9 hours ago, Torgo said:

If you account for every picture being worth a thousand words, your total is much higher!

Thanks, but I should rephrase what I said. Emiko Station is now long enough to qualify as a novel.

But the truth is, it won't be a real book until I finish writing it.  :D

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Thanks, but I should rephrase what I said. Emiko Station is now long enough to qualify as a novel.

But the truth is, it won't be a real book until I finish writing it.  :D

Just, try to replace Kerman with real last names.

17 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

Wow...I didn't know there was such great scenery on Kerbin itself!  I love the camper!  I need to get back into this game and do some Homeworld exploration!

Thanks!  The landscape on all the planets and moons is a great reason to do an Elcano Challenge.  I love driving around.

9 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Just try to replace Kerman with real last names.

3 hours ago, Draconiator said:

If this turns into a book afterwards....Thompberry's last name should be "Fruity"...lol

No, I would have to keep everyone named Kerman, that's half of their charm.  :D

But truthfully, I don't know if it could ever really get published. It's not totally unprecedented. There have been books, and even a couple movies, that were based on computer games. But I would have to convince a publisher it would be successful enough to be worth the investment, and it would have to be done in cooperation with Squad. They own the game it's based on, so I'm sure there would be legal issues that would have to be addressed.

Still, it's fun to dream...  :cool:

17 hours ago, Crystal_Mace said:

Sorry you got sick.....hope you feel better soon.......

Thanks... just a stupid head cold... prolly from all the rain.  

It's the big reason I'm running behind on the next chapter... just can't seem to get get focused.  :confused:

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

They own the game it's based on, so I'm sure there would be legal issues that would have to be addressed.

Are you kidding?! Having a book published would be a GREAT move! A story like this would be an ad campaign worthy of TELEVISION! This would (at least in my mind) bring in tons of new people to the game. Even if @SQUAD didn't use this as an ad campaign, I'm pretty sure whoever is in charge would be thrilled to grant you permission to publish a book with their game as the general setting.

Guys, I understand you're enthusiastic about KSP and big fans of @Just Jim's work (as am I), but please understand and believe me when I say... it doesn't work like that.  It really, really doesn't. 

Without going into too much detail, anything involving legal rights is much, MUCH more complicated than you'd imagine, and often has little to do with what many people might consider "right" or "fair."

This right here is the best, most accessible and probably the most lenient place and format for a work like this to be published - on the official forums and/or the Internet.

6 hours ago, Commander Zoom said:

Guys, I understand you're enthusiastic about KSP and big fans of @Just Jim's work (as am I), but please understand and believe me when I say... it doesn't work like that.  It really, really doesn't. 

Without going into too much detail, anything involving legal rights is much, MUCH more complicated than you'd imagine, and often has little to do with what many people might consider "right" or "fair."

This right here is the best, most accessible and probably the most lenient place and format for a work like this to be published - on the official forums and/or the Internet.

Yup. That's so true. Another other legal thing I thought of are the quotes I used at the beginning of some of the chapters, and who actually owns the rights to them. All that would have to be considered as well.

The more fascinating aspect to this, and why it got me so excited to begin with, isn't the idea of getting it published. It was the fact I actually wrote something long enough to qualify as a novel. Like a lot of people, most all of my life I've said I wanted to someday write a book. But I never knew just what it took, or how long it would have to be. Now I know for sure. In fact, I went back and checked at it became novel length way back at Chapter 43. 

So I suppose if I wanted to be kind of lazy about this, I could always say part one ends at chapter 50 or 60.
Then I could say I officially finished a book... lol.  :rolleyes:

What's much more important and cool is I've somehow managed to keep y'all entertained all this time, and coming back for more. I just checked, and sometime last night Emiko went over 124,000 views! Even if the same person adds 50 views flipping back and forth reading chapters, that's still a staggering amount of people reading this and apparently having fun, and that makes it so much fun for me as well!

I'm gonna go make some coffee and wake up a bit more and then I'll get back to work on the next chapter.  :cool:

13 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'm gonna go make some coffee and wake up a bit more and then I'll get back to work on the next chapter.  :cool:

[edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]

Yes, get back to that next chapter. I need some great scripting for that claymation mini series I've lifted from your story! :sticktongue:

And don't mind if I do... going back to the Keurig myself for a third (or is it fourth) cup... :confused:

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yes, get back to that next chapter. I need some great scripting for that claymation mini series I've lifted from your story! :sticktongue:

And don't mind if I do... going back to the Keurig myself for a third (or is it fourth) cup... :confused:

Oh please... Emiko: the claymation mini-series is only in season one!  You've got time...  :sticktongue:

Actually I got a lot done today and hope to finish up the screenshots tomorrow

Edited by Just Jim

On August 12, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Just Jim said:

The only thing I'm still wrestling with is who's POV to do this next chapter from.

Gene! He could tell us what happened between the two periods in the story and how the space center got it's grandeur (and where you got all your science from :wink:)

(If it's not too late, that is)

Edited by Garrett Kramme

10 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Look who found her way to my Space Center's personnel! And I already have a job for her!

Oh, cool!  most of the names are game generated, and I was wondering if this would happen eventually.

4 hours ago, Garrett Kramme said:

Gene! He could tell us what happened between the two periods in the story and how the space center got it's grandeur (and where you got all your science from :wink:)

(If it's not too late, that is)

I may...  it's down to Gene or Thompberry, or both. Probably both.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.