The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

6 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

I DID IT! I finally caught up on all 67 chapters of this thing. Whew.

Since you've indicated that you're concerned about spelling, allow me to take the liberty of pointing out some of the mistakes you've been letting slide most often:
- "It's" is a contraction of "it is;" for "something that belongs to it" you're supposed to use "its." Yes, it seems backwards, but that's how our crazy language works xP
- A hanger is something that hangs things. Where planes are stored is a hangar. Think about the "ar" at the end being like the "ar" in "airplane" ...actually never mind, that mnemonic's dumb.
- Breath is the thing you exhale when you breathe.
I recall there being a few more but I forgot what they were. I'll mention it if I start seeing another one pop up frequently :wink:

Rats, I thought I got them all...

I need an editor

18 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

I volunteer!

No seriously. I'd be glad to review your stories and proofread them. You don't even have to pay me :wink:

I'll make you a deal... when I start getting paid, I'll cut you in for a percentage... :wink:

But seriously, I already have a couple people that check it out, and obviously some goofs still got thru. I'm really bummed about hanger and hangar. That's another one that spell checker would go right by... and apparently so did I.  Opps.

If you remember where they were, by all means please send me a pm and I'll go and fix them. Thanks.  :)

17 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

MOAR EMIKO NAO!

Working on it. I got a lot more done yesterday... about 80% I would guesstimate, and I should be able to finish them up this morning. Then the normal Photoshop and upload routine. But everything depends on this hurricane. Matthew is on the other side of the state, but still close enough we'll probably get hit by some of the outer bands. If they're just rain bands, then it should be no big deal. But if they're really windy, that could play havoc with the power. 

It's Miami up to Daytona and beyond that's going to get hammered, and it could be a bad one. Most everyone is evacuating. My brother and his family (who live in Daytona) got here yesterday afternoon and are riding it out over here. 

So fingers crossed, I'll get the last dozen screenshots done today and the chapter written up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

So fingers crossed, I'll get the last dozen screenshots done today and the chapter written up tonight or tomorrow morning.

The heck with the story Jim! If the weather is going to be that bad get the heck out of there.

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

The heck with the story Jim! If the weather is going to be that bad get the heck out of there.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

It would appear that he's at a "safe" distance. Note that his brother et al are going to him.

@0111narwhalz is right, I'm on the opposite coast as the storm, luckily, so it's about as safe as you can get, short of flying out west for a few days. A lot of people are coming here this time to get away from it.

@GDJ I see you're in Canada. If you want to google it, I live on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico in a town called Port Richey, about an hour drive north of Tampa/St. Petersburg. Nice little town, beautifully positioned so I'm only a couple hours from all the major hot-spots like Orlando or Daytona or Clearwater Beach.

2 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Good luck to your family! Hope their house/apartment/whatever survives.

Thanks... I'm worried about everyone on the Atlantic side. But the state government is already mobilizing and getting people out, and I've heard the power companies are already pre-positioning trucks where the power is likely to blow. And I saw a little while ago even Pres. Obama is getting hourly updates. So it sounds like they're taking this one really seriously, which is really good to hear.

Nothing to do now but wait it out.

Edited by Just Jim

16 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

through. "Thru" isn't really a word and was more or less made up by advertisers.

Through and thru are both officially recognised spellings. Although thru is no longer used in literature or in formal context, it used to be far more popular (late 19th, early 20th centuries).

Having read through Emiko with thru I no longer notice it. In fact, I find it gives a folk tale ring to the story that suits it. I say keep it. :)

Good luck with Matthew,  Jim. Stay safe.

Hey everyone, I need to make this quick. The hurricane eye is almost exactly 200 miles east of here. The rain isn't too bad where we are, but it's windy, and the power is already acting up. 

So, good news is I finished up the screenshots last night.
Bad news, I probably won't get much done today, sorry. 

But here's one last teaser screenshot to hopefully hold y'all over.
This one goes out to our very own @Mad Rocket Scientist, who recently claimed he didn't do it, but I think perhaps he did... lol... :)

Spoiler

OXZCWgm.png

21 hours ago, Just Jim said:

@0111narwhalz is right, I'm on the opposite coast as the storm, luckily, so it's about as safe as you can get, short of flying out west for a few days. A lot of people are coming here this time to get away from it.

@GDJ I see you're in Canada. If you want to google it, I live on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico in a town called Port Richey, about an hour drive north of Tampa/St. Petersburg. Nice little town, beautifully positioned so I'm only a couple hours from all the major hot-spots like Orlando or Daytona or Clearwater Beach.

Thanks... I'm worried about everyone on the Atlantic side. But the state government is already mobilizing and getting people out, and I've heard the power companies are already pre-positioning trucks where the power is likely to blow. And I saw a little while ago even Pres. Obama is getting hourly updates. So it sounds like they're taking this one really seriously, which is really good to hear.

Nothing to do now but wait it out.

Huh, I have a aunt riding out the storm not that far from you. Wishing the best of luck to you and your family.

:confused: Omg Omg omg omg!!! I just looked in the tracking station, and I have an asteroid orbiting Kerbin! I didn't put it there because I don't know how to capture asteroids!! I will call my new moon

Carlenna Station, in honor of the lost kerbalnaut. 

I will post a picture tomorrow. I have to go out to dinner.

Hey everyone, really quick update. Everything here is OK, other than some wind we didn't get it bad. My brother just got home (Daytona), and I just heard his place survived. But the house across the street has a tree sticking out of it, or on top of it, or something like that, and several others nearby are missing their roofs, or carports, and it sounds like it's pretty bad all over. And the power is out, which is to be expected, but they have a generator, so they'll be OK.

I have to get some stuff done today, then I'll get back to writing. Hopefully I'll get it done some time this month... :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

•  

Posted August 21 (edited) · Report post

Chapter 62
All Roads Lead to Emiko

It was growing late in the day, and after hearing the truth behind the covert Zaltonic Electronic space program, Gene and his companions stood quietly, trying to absorb all they had heard. Many of the pieces were starting to fall into place, but some still doubted what had been said so far, especially Captain Kuzzter.

"Surely you can't be suggesting..." but just then he was cut off by his first mate Geo.

"Stop... just stop!" Geschosskopf growled.

"What?" Kuzz asked, trying to sound as innocent as he could.

"That time you did it on purpose... Shirley!"

cvii5oH.png

Near them Emiko giggled, "Shirley."

What *I* want to know is this......where's Shirley Kerman in all this taking of her name in vain??

I'm way behind and slooooowly catching up.....:D

[Maybe the question of "Why do Kerbals wear suits all time time?" will be solved? }

What question?  What I want to know is why everyone else in the universe DOESN'T wear spacesuits all the time?  I mean *I* would.

Cause you never know.  Am I right?

OK, it took all day, but the next batch of screenshots are finally all sorted, photoshopped, and uploaded, so I can write this next chapter up tomorrow morning, no problem. It's going to be another fairly long one, but I'm pretty sure you'll see where I'm going with Emiko's backstory by the end of it.

1 hour ago, notsodeadjeb said:

Would somebody please make the whole story downloadable as a PDF? Or even better, send a copy to Random House and get it published!:kiss:

Hmmm... I'm not sure how one makes a PDF. I use them all the time, but I've never written one.

As for publishing Emiko, it's been brought up before, and I can't deny, I more people suggest it, the more I would love to see it happen. But there are problems that might make it impossible. First and foremost, a publishing house like Random House would require me to actually finish writing Emiko first, which may take several more months. More important, while I most likely own all rights to the story, Squad owns the rights to KSP in general, and this could create a legal hassle that would have to be worked out first. Add to this the fact I've quoted lines from several popular songs at the beginning of many chapters, and the bands that sang them own the rights to them... so those legalities would also have to be settled.

I would love to see it happen, but realistically, I don't think it's ever going to.

Edited by Just Jim

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmm... I'm not sure how one makes a PDF. I use them all the time, but I've never written one.

If you're using a relative recent version (anything of this decade, really) MS Word (or one of its open source competitors) there should be a "Save as PDF" option.

Alternate, you can install free software like CutePDF which will act like a printer driver. You "print" your document to the software (it's visible as a printer after installation) and it writes everything to a PDF file (it will prompt for a filename when you print). The "Save As" option is usually preserved (it can provide hyperlinks, a clickable table of contents, etc) but the "print" option has the charming property that it works with any program that can print.

Edited by Kerbart

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

There's a lot of converter programs out there. I regularly use PDF 24 (https://en.pdf24.org/), works like a charm. As for arranging all the chapters and text and everything, I suppose you could use Scribus (https://www.scribus.net/) to do that, it's an open source publishing software, similar to Adobe InDesign. 

I'm sorry about no chapter today, I spent the day at the hospital. I'm OK; it's someone I know that didn't feel well, so we went to the ER, and sure enough, something isn't quite right. I can't really say any more than that.

Depending on what happens, I'll try and get it done tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I'm sorry about no chapter today, I spent the day at the hospital. I'm OK; it's someone I know that didn't feel well, so we went to the ER, and sure enough, something isn't quite right. I can't really say any more than that.

Depending on what happens, I'll try and get it done tomorrow.

We won't rush you. If it turns out to be...serious, take all the time you want. @sal_vager might be going thru something similar and I'm supportive, so I at least won't rush you. Hope your loved one feels well soon. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.