The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

5 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I'm good. :)

OK... 'cause I'm not... 

No... just kidding. Sort of... I'm in one of those spots... again... where I've got most everything done fr the next chapter as far as screenshots, except it doesn't feel right. Not yet. The annoying part is I'm not sure what it is that's bugging me... :confused:

12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

No... just kidding. Sort of... I'm in one of those spots... again... where I've got most everything done fr the next chapter as far as screenshots, except it doesn't feel right. Not yet. The annoying part is I'm not sure what it is that's bugging me... :confused:

Best wait, then.  The only thing I know about writing is that it's a craft analogous to basketry and flintknapping.  If your mind, body, and spirit aren't all walking in step, then the result will be utter crap no matter how many times you've done it before.

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK... 'cause I'm not... 

Happens to me ALL THE TIME. Just give it some time and think about it. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK... 'cause I'm not... 

Then you're too close to the story; you're losing the forest in the trees, as it were.  Everything I write gets an 'I can't believe I wrote this' pass:  even if I have no issues with it, I always let it sit for a few days while I do other things.  After that, I come back and read it, and if I say, 'I can't believe I wrote this!' then I rewrite.  I catch an amazing number of issues this way.

I think I know what's bothering me about it... Sorry, I can't really say what without giving too much stuff away... but I just have to think of a different way to handle it. I'm gonna go watch something old and campy and let roll this around in my head a bit...

Oh, Happy Halloween everyone!  :D

ZARz5OH.png

12 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

That sign always cracks me up :D

OK, I have to admit, the "Love & kisses" part was sort of subconsciously stolen borrowed from "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". The quote just popped into my head when I was trying to think of how to word the warning best. But it took a little while for me to realize what had popped into my head actually came from the order to blow up Earth, signed:

Love and Kisses,
Zaphod

Well, I thought... Zaphod is also quite mad... literally a duel... headed??? personality...

I think it still fits Sanny... lmao... 

OK, sorry... but I was watching the 1977 "Damnation Alley", which, BTW, had a huge influence on me and Emiko Station. And while I was watching and letting my mind wander, I came up with something that will work so much better for the next chapter... But it means re-doing about 90% of the screenshots. Oh well... it will be worth it.

As for what "Damnation Alley" influenced me to do in Emiko... you just need to watch about 20 seconds of this. It's something from the movie called a Landmaster... look slightly familiar???

OK, good day!!! I got all the changes I'm making finished, swapped out what needed to be swapped... and blew up a few things... which is always good fun. :D

I can start doing replacement screenshots tomorrow... should only take a day or two, and then go from there... :)

On 10/23/2017 at 4:16 PM, Just Jim said:

"WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Sanny screamed and did a spiraling backflip before floating back in front of Jeb. "This place... the energy... it's so... so amazing!!!"

"What?" Jeb asked suspiciously. "And why are you glowing like that?"

"It's the positive energy... duh!" Sanny giggled....

Wait... giggled? Sanny didn't giggle, Jeb thought... for that matter, she almost never talked to him at all... What is wrong with her???

"Sanny, look, I'm glad you like it here, but really, we don't have time for this." 

"Sure you do!" Sanny screamed with apparent glee... "We should stay here! Tell Sparkles to come out and play with me in the energy.... the wonderful energy!!!"

"What?" Bill cried out. "Are you mad, you dingbat ghost? The radiation out here is lethal!"

"It's positive energy, duh! You stupid Boffin!" Sanny scolded, but then began grinning like a 3 year old on a sugar-high and began doing back-flips again... and then started glowing even brighter... which in turn caused Jeb's personnel radiation detector to start pinging ominously.

So, Sanny's "Positive Energy" is radiation?

But she also says that Emiko gives off "Positive Energy"...

Does this mean Emiko is radioactive?

What does this mean for her relationship with Wherner? Will the Grand Kerbal demand that she be moved out to space, along with all other potentially radioactive stuff?

I never thought I would get so invested in a Kerbal fan fic... Great work Just Jim!

Eagerly awaiting your next chapter.

39 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Actually a medic... who occasionally dropped mortars... :rolleyes:

Well, you get the idea :)   But I hope you left the mortars where you dropped them.  The incur a big karmic debt :huh:

34 minutes ago, Shepard Kermander said:

Sanny was driven insane by the Circus attempting to manipulate her brain while she was in cryosleep.  Then she became a zombie, then consciously decided to remain a lost soul rather than be guided to Ancestorland by verified psychopomps, and is now in a different universe from where she started.  So she's a bit confused :D 

But in general, , in different ways, and for different reasons, yes to both.

Edited by Geschosskopf

16 hours ago, Shepard Kermander said:

I never thought I would get so invested in a Kerbal fan fic... Great work Just Jim!

Eagerly awaiting your next chapter.

Thank you! Hopefully it'll just be a few more days and I'll have the next one ready.

16 hours ago, Shepard Kermander said:

Does this mean Emiko is radioactive?

What does this mean for her relationship with Wherner? Will the Grand Kerbal demand that she be moved out to space, along with all other potentially radioactive stuff?

16 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Sanny was driven insane by the Circus attempting to manipulate her brain while she was in cryosleep.  Then she became a zombie, then consciously decided to remain a lost soul rather than be guided to Ancestorland by verified psychopomps, and is now in a different universe from where she started.  So she's a bit confused :D 

First off, I have to thank @Geschosskopf again for letting me use her, and for helping me understand her... fractured... personality. :confused:

There is a slight difference between the radioactive "Positive Energy" and Emiko being so positive in that Sanny says it's Emiko's "Bright and Sparkly aura" that makes her such a positive force. This is why Sanny calls Emiko "Sparkles". Whether it's true or now... who knows? So far no-one else can see an Aura, so they have to take her word for it.

This is one of the big issues with Sanny... if she needs to, she'll just make something up, or twist it around, to fit into her "reality". Like the Platypus thing. Truth is, she was just bored, and confused, and floating around the beach trying to figure everything out, and she happened to spot a Platypus. And in her mind it had parts of a mammal, bird, reptile... lays eggs.... Why, it's part of every animal and it must be magic!!!  :confused:

No... it's just a Platypus and Sanny's insane... you get the idea...

Edited by Just Jim

18 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, you get the idea :)   But I hope you left the mortars where you dropped them.  The incur a big karmic debt :huh:

All hail Sanny Kerman.

OK... quick update... yesterday and today were great! I've got so much done! :D Definitely over halfway, and two of the three more... challenging... items are finished. I'm hoping of nothing comes up I'll be able to get most of the rest wrapped up tomorrow.

On 11/3/2017 at 1:14 PM, Thedrelle said:

I think Sanny's the only sane one in a world of crazies.

I'm sure that's what she thinks! :D

On 11/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, Laythe Squid said:

All hail Sanny Kerman.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea... it might go to her head. But knowing Sanny, she'd probably just look at you kind of sideways and say:

"Well, yeah... duh!" :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Aha. That was your military expertise? 

In a way, yes. Long story short, I was a combat medic (MOS 91B10), in a mechanized infantry unit from 1980-1982, and my job, for the most part, was driving a big armored personnel carrier, which served as an ambulance. One of these things:

J6ObqJf.jpg

Now, I was stationed in Germany, and even though I didn't see any combat, our battalion trained constantly, and often went to places like Grafenwoehr, which is a huge (and I mean HUGE) live-fire range. And whenever a platoon or company, whatever, went to do any kind of live-fire exercises, whether it was with an M16, big 50-calibers, or mortar vehicles, there had to be a medical vehicle on range, or they had to stop. 

Normally... hopefully... nothing bad would happen and us medics would just sit around all day... which was boring. But there were a couple company commanders and 1st sergeants that actually approved and liked if we joined in. Medics weren't supposed to do anything offensively... and only fight in self defense. But in their minds even a medic should be able to fire a machine gun, or in a drastic emergency, be able to help out a mortar team. 

So I always tried to get the right platoons, and got to play with all sorts of nasty things, including learning the proper way to "drop" a mortar down a tube... and it was great fun blowing stuff up!  :)

On 11/4/2017 at 9:55 PM, Just Jim said:

In a way, yes. Long story short, I was a combat medic (MOS 91B10), in a mechanized infantry unit from 1980-1982, and my job, for the most part, was driving a big armored personnel carrier, which served as an ambulance. One of these things:

J6ObqJf.jpg

Now, I was stationed in Germany, and even though I didn't see any combat, our battalion trained constantly, and often went to places like Grafenwoehr, which is a huge (and I mean HUGE) live-fire range. And whenever a platoon or company, whatever, went to do any kind of live-fire exercises, whether it was with an M16, big 50-calibers, or mortar vehicles, there had to be a medical vehicle on range, or they had to stop. 

Normally... hopefully... nothing bad would happen and us medics would just sit around all day... which was boring. But there were a couple company commanders and 1st sergeants that actually approved and liked if we joined in. Medics weren't supposed to do anything offensively... and only fight in self defense. But in their minds even a medic should be able to fire a machine gun, or in a drastic emergency, be able to help out a mortar team. 

So I always tried to get the right platoons, and got to play with all sorts of nasty things, including learning the proper way to "drop" a mortar down a tube... and it was great fun blowing stuff up!  :)

Oh, nice. That sounds... Fun?

I'm hoping to join the Navy or the Coast Guard as an enlisted officer. Maybe a medical officer. 

I am great with leadership, so officer is the way to go for me. 

Plus, I get to ferry around Marines.

:D 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

OK, on-topic stuff first. The weather here is amazing, and I had to do some outdoor stuff this morning. But I still had lots of time this afternoon for kerbaling,  and I'm about 75% done now... I haven't given y'all a screenshot teaser in a while, so here's a fun one to think about:

Spoiler

"The mounting plate is sheered, the brakes are pretty much ash... and the other wheel is lying somewhere near that tree..." Pappy growled. "The whole assembly needs rebuilding... With a garage and machine shop, the boy and I could fix it in a couple days... But out here??? Impossible...." 

fzKVfn3.png

21 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Oh, nice. That sounds... Fun?

I'm hoping to join the Navy or the Coast Guard as an enlisted officer. Maybe a medical officer. 

I am great with leadership, so officer is the way to go for me. 

Plus, I get to ferry around those "overrated" Marines.

:D 

There were times it was great fun... and times it outright sucked... pardon my language. 

My sister was in the Navy, and still lives in San Diego as a civilian. One thing to bear in mind, if you're going to officer's school, I believe they still require a college degree of some sort... I'm not sure about the specifics, but check it out. Medical officer is a great career... If you play your cards right, the military will pay for a lot of your medical schooling. 

Also... be VERY are careful about Marines... most are anything but over-rated... and many are downright scary... luckily they're on our side... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.