The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Speaking of which...

How do you write such nice, long chapters? Do you have the text down ahead of time and then cut & paste with the pictures?

Actually it's the other way around. I'm gonna bring in @LordOfMinecraft99 as well, because he asked something similar a few days ago.

On 1/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Hey @Just Jim, you should make a "making of" post or thread. That would be very interesting!

OK, this next chapter I'm doing, without giving too terribly much of it away, is a beautiful example, because I'm bringing in something new, which includes two new mods... Before anything I had to download them and make sure everything is going to work.

Now, I sort of know ahead where I'm going with a chapter, and my career game, but nothing is set in stone.... too many variables can happen to change stuff, both playing, and sometimes on this forum, which also has just happened. This is one of those times when another author, and good friend, is letting me steal borrow do my own take on something he wrote not long ago. I may have already given it away... so be it. Part of this chapter has been a lot of pm's back and forth between us, and his advice has been invaluable!

Anyway... mods installed and running OK, I'll pick up where I left off at the last chapter, and play the game for a few days, or longer, depending on where I want to stop and start writing. Sometimes this can go fairly quick, but if there's any new ships or whatever involved, then it can take some time building and testing whatever I need done. And, quite obviously, in the case of the Platypus road-trip, I'll need a day or two of driving time, depending again on how far I want to go in that chapter. yes, I could just plot the trip and use HyperEdit, but I'm gonna do this the fun way, even if it takes a few days longer. Plus you never know when you'll run across a floating boulder, or other fun thing to take advantage of.

And while I'm doing all this, I'm gathering up lots and lots of screenshots, and starting to finalize the chapter in my head as well. I could do the story part first, but I prefer to wait, again because sometimes the game changes things... which also happened!  hehehe  I didn't plan on it, but one screenshot...

Oh, what the heck... spoiler!

Spoiler

FayRay Kerman  hehehe....

yeah, I know...  :sticktongue:

FayRay Kerman has just been saved from the hideous T-Rex, and Bill has just pried open the cockpit so she can crawl out. Now that part was planned.

What I didn't plan on was the absolute stupid-silly goo-goo eyes expression on Bill's face... lmao...  :kiss:

7xxjfmq.png

s9q6drd.png

After I quit the game and looked at this pic, I almost fell over laughing...

I totally didn't plan on it, but after seeing this, I have to think Bill & Bob's "Bro-mance" may have a serious.... complication... ahead... hehehe

How can I not use it???  :wink:

So this is an example of an unplanned addition to the story that the game gave me... free of charge... lol.

OK... once I have all the screenshots I need, I'll start sorting them, and really pin down the chapter in my head as well, ironing out details like the actual dialog. And again, a lot of this is based on the screenshots, and not the other way around. In many ways I use the final sorted batch as a storyboard, and this is what I use to write it all up... and keep everything straight in my head. Last chapter I ended up with about 250 screenshots I think... more or less.

Writing itself I'll have two websites open, the forum and Imgur, plus MS-word to back everything up to. I prefer writing on the forum itself, because that's how it will look, and I'll paste the links from Imgur into it as I go along, and every few paragraphs, or at the end of a particular good part, I'll copy and paste it all into Word, and save the backup.

In the end it takes usually about 6-8 hours to get it all written up and proofread before I'll post it... and then one or two readings after it's posted to find and correct all the stuff I missed the first time, and fix any incorrectly ordered or duplicate pics, which can happen on occasion.

And that's how I do it.

Edited by Just Jim

17 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Just shutting the light off as fridge logic kicked in. I hope Sanny - the Not-so-recently-deceased - didn’t go off to hire herself a bio-exorcist...

...that would be... strange and unusual... <_<

LOL!  I reckon there are way more folks out there able to remove souls from unwanted bodies than the other way around :) 

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

[spoilers]

The plot thickens. :D

You’re far braver than I to trust the forum with something that size. :o

So, Emiko’s been going for over two years now (congrats :cool:), are you still on the original save? How have you managed to keep the game upgraded without unleashing a veritable storm of Krakens?

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Oh, nice floaters!!! And it's rare finding two that close! Very cool!!!

One question, where is Niven?

Yeah, did not find two this close, either. And one of them was pretty high.

Niven is a planet from Galileo Planet Pack, a little similar to Duna (colour, weak gravity, thin atmosphere). And pretty flat, so a prime roving territory :)

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

LOL!  I reckon there are way more folks out there able to remove souls from unwanted bodies than the other way around :) 

Hmmm... While I already have plans for Sanny/Saffron, this is an interesting question. I'm not sure who could do an exorcism, if needed... Maybe the Rocklady?

9 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You’re far braver than I to trust the forum with something that size. :o

That was nothing compared to the stuff I can't show... hehehe

So, Emiko’s been going for over two years now (congrats :cool:), are you still on the original save? How have you managed to keep the game upgraded without unleashing a veritable storm of Krakens?

Yup, this save started with the 0.94 update, and is still going. I've had a couple Krakens I had to work around... the space station overheating bug, and an asteroid bug I had to wait for a fix.

As for 1.3.1... yeah, this is going to be a small problem. I've read the new game code doesn't like 8-digit numbers, which can effect an asteroid "Seed" number... and change it's appearance. So when I update... probably after this next chapter is done... I'm going to have to look and see what's happened to both Emiko asteroid, and the Magic Boulders, and see if and how badly they've changed. If they're more or less the same, I'll roll with it, and hope y'all understand. If they've been changed too much, especially Magic Boulder colors, then I'll have to set up a sandbox and find suitable replacements, and then do a little persistomancy and HyperEdit magic.

Well, so far we’ve not seen any hint of a storm of Krakens, just the odd few. Unless of course... 

Yeah... about that...

STOP READING MY MIND!!!  :sticktongue:

hehehe

Truth is, I'll be getting into this very subject in the next couple chapters... maybe the next one, depending on how long it gets... Probably the next. :wink:

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmm... While I already have plans for Sanny/Saffron, this is an interesting question. I'm not sure who could do an exorcism, if needed... Maybe the Rocklady?

Hehehe, I wasn't thinking of exorcism, just simple murder.  That's what I meant by there being way more people able to get souls out of unwanted bodies...

Edited by Geschosskopf

24 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hehehe, I wasn't thinking of exorcism, just simple murder.  That's what I meant by there being way more people able to get souls out of unwanted bodies...

Ahhhh... gotcha!

But my Kerbs are mostly non-violent, with a couple crackpot exceptions (Saffron). So a list of "Serial-Poofers" may not be very long either.

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

I was stunned when it actually flew.

Getting them off the ground the first time isn't the problem. Can you get it back off the ground for a 2nd flight without a lot of re-assembly required? :D

17 hours ago, Torgo said:

Getting them off the ground the first time isn't the problem. Can you get it back off the ground for a 2nd flight without a lot of re-assembly required? :D

this is often my biggest problem. most of the time my kerbs surive landing. but it's usually a long walk to the back half of the aircraft, wherever it ends up.

34 minutes ago, Thedrelle said:

this is often my biggest problem. most of the time my kerbs surive landing. but it's usually a long walk to the back half of the aircraft, wherever it ends up.

Of course, my next question would be...

"Hmmm, did I get any good screenshots of the "landing"... and can I use this in the story somehow???"

:)

20 hours ago, Just Jim said:

That is awesome!!! Is it maneuverable? 

It is.   I may need to rebuild though, because I messed up with the symmetry and I had to build it with Symmetry OFF and just copy paste.  I think I goofed up on the balance...

On 1/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, Just Jim said:

One question, where is Niven?

On 1/22/2018 at 4:43 AM, michal.don said:

Niven is a planet from Galileo Planet Pack [snip]

That's funny.  I thought he was in Los Angeles.

On 1/24/2018 at 6:31 PM, Draconiator said:

One of Just Jim's creations inspired me to try my own... [snip]

That's quite the craft.  What did you use for the air screws?

Edited by Zhetaan

20 hours ago, Thedrelle said:

So they can join the rest of the survivors in the back half exploring the mysterious island they crashed on?

23 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Of course, my next question would be...

"Hmmm, did I get any good screenshots of the "landing"... and can I use this in the story somehow???"

If i had any narrative skill, i would certainly think that way. 

4 hours ago, NCommander said:

So they can join the rest of the survivors in the back half exploring the mysterious island they crashed on?

is this turning int Lost?

1 hour ago, Thedrelle said:

If i had any narrative skill, i would certainly think that way.

I do this with any unexpected crash or bug... first, don't panic... second, take as many screenshots as possible... third, decide if I can use them, or reload a backup and forget it happened.

1 hour ago, Thedrelle said:

is this turning into Lost?

NOOOOO...........

I just got everyone OFF that screwy island... hehehe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.