The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

28 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I'm no fan of any modern kid cartoon (I even had to google "Brony") but I have seen many because for a generation (now going on 2) I've been the family babysitter. 

Well, the real fun thing about several cartoons in the last 5-10 years or so is they are reaching out to us Moms and Dads and Aunts and Uncles and babysitters. Phineas and Ferb being the best example. There are so many little jokes and gags that no kid is going to get, but the adults will... hehehe... The creators finally realized the kids weren't their only audience, and now a few cartoons are writing like this as well. Matter o' fact, I caught a MLP episode (doing research... I swear) that had an almost exact parody of the Music Man... except how many young ones are going to get the reference vs. the adults also in the room babysitting or whatever?

From a pure writing POV... I think it's brilliant!

28 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Me neither.  Matrilineal descent is fairly common in human history and was traditional in the ancestry of many reading this forum.  In such societies, a man was expected to take a greater interest in rearing daughters and nieces than is the norm in patrilineal societies.

Yeah, I love having a daughter... she's awesome!!!

She's also now 25... and a huge Alien fan!!! The other day she came over wearing a t-shirt with a big fluffy cat on it... and it had a little alien chest-burster dangling from it's mouth... I was so proud... sniff... Daddy's little girl!!! :D

Edited by Just Jim

30 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

plat! there it is. :confused:

er... do platypuses even make noise?

No... its more like blowing a raspberry according to this video.

Though I guess this one also works. Since its been mentioned several times.

Edited by qzgy
Change in video for language reasons....

42 minutes ago, qzgy said:

No... its more like blowing a raspberry according to this video.

Though I guess this one also works. Since its been mentioned several times.

Oh, wow! I did not know that... and it does explain Perry's weird chirping noise. 

Learned something new about Platypeople today... thanks! 

Oh, and it means I got it right when I wrote about Platypus's chirping in the evening... so it's also on-topic!!!  bonus!!! :D

Edited by Just Jim

14 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Laythe's supposed to have an alkaline ocean, so maybe they overcompensated while dealing with the relatively higher pH of Kerbin.

Good point... Actually, other than the telepathic abilities, which we'll delve into more later, I haven't really decided on stuff like bio-chemistry... other than they can obviously survive on Kerbin. But is that even natural, or did the ET's have something to do with it??? Hmmm... cool... something I need to think a little more about... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

If they’re acid-proof... does that mean they have acid for blood? After all, they are... aliens... <_<

I always chuckle about this.  Us humans have saltwater for blood and breathe oxygen.  Those are 2 of the most destructive substances in the universe, especially when mixed together.  Hell, oxygen is poison to much of life even here on Earth.  We don't consider ourselves monsters because this seems perfectly normal to us, so we invent Xenomorphs.  But I'm sure most lifeforms in the universe find us quite terrifying.

17 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

saltwater for blood and breathe oxygen

Saltwater for blood? I guess thats why we have saline solutions, but its not like super salty, is it? What concentration?

1 minute ago, 0111narwhalz said:

No, seawater's about 35‰

" On average, seawater in the world's oceans has a salinity of about 3.5% (35 g/L, 599 mM) "  - Wikipedia.

Edited by qzgy

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

Huh. So more than seawater. Neat, I guess.

Scary, actually, as any sailor with a scraper and paint brush will tell you :wink:  

It's thought that the salinity of blood retains the salinity level of the ocean from back in the day when our first 1st land ancestors crawled ashore.. The idea is, the life processes we inherited from our last water-dwelling ancestors had evolved to work in that level of salinity so we're stuck with needing that much salt today.  But meanwhile, the salinity of the oceans has decreased a lot over the last couple hundred million years, so today's ocean-dwellers don't have such salty blood.

Edited by Geschosskopf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.