The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

18 hours ago, Pretorian28715 said:

@Just Jim as an extra challenge, please try to fit at least 10 scifi references in the first chapter of Volume II???

I DARE YOU......

I think there may be a 'cheese' explosion, somewhere in the south of the US East coast. (Florida.way i think?).....

Pfffft. You need to think of a proper challenge for the likes of Jim. :) 

20 hours ago, Just Jim said:

"This mornings unprecedented Solar Eclipse is no cause for alarm..."

I think I want to do this... :cool:

Yay! If you want to go a bit more British, there's always 'Jeb Kerman - Pilot of the Future'. After all you don't get much more of a kerbal arch villain than The Mekon. It's a proper 'k word' and everything. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa! This was some good story stuff, man! And he's working for the big squad, too, so we got ourselves a man of the forum to, uh, do sekrit things! I approve of both of these developments, and it is ultrasufficient inspiration to get interested in this game again!

9 hours ago, VelocityPolaris said:

Whoa! This was some good story stuff, man! And he's working for the big squad, too, so we got ourselves a man of the forum to, uh, do sekrit things! I approve of both of these developments, and it is ultrasufficient inspiration to get interested in this game again!

OMG, thank you so much!
This just made my whole day!  :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 6:19 AM, Just Jim said:

Thanks!!

No, thank YOU, Sir!  I finally got to finish this FIRST SEASON of "Days of our Young, Restless, General Emiko Hospital" and know this totally addictive soap opera shall continue in 1 form or another. But in the meantime., I've really enjoyed the read and have been thoroughly honored to have played a bit part in it.  And I hope Sanny's poor ghost is finally laid to as peaceful a rest as is possible for her totally secular, afterlife-refusing soul.  At least she seems happier now than when Orbles gave her up as a lost cause.

I now look forward to reading your new series.  Again, thanks for the ride!

Gah! I reread the Jool Odyssey an am out of rep!

EDIT: And the next day, I was no longer out of rep. So I repped. (?)

Edited by fulgur
Geschosskopf has rep now

On 6/19/2019 at 2:24 AM, Geschosskopf said:

And I hope Sanny's poor ghost is finally laid to as peaceful a rest as is possible for her totally secular, afterlife-refusing soul.  At least she seems happier now than when Orbles gave her up as a lost cause.

Thank you for letting her (and the Laytheans) visit my universe for a spell.

I hope she's happy... I figure the Magic Boulder sent her all the way home, so I don't know if she'll remember her adventure in my universe or just go back to her old ways... but she made quite an impression on my characters.

Emiko will never forget her :D

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I hope she's happy... I figure the Magic Boulder sent her all the way home, so I don't know if she'll remember her adventure in my universe or just go back to her old ways... but she made quite an impression on my characters.

Emiko will never forget her :D

Oh, I'm sure Sanny will remember that she can take over KerbNet any time the mood strikes her.  But as long as she can bask in the "energy" of the Orvok Monolith, she'll mind her own business, thus being an ectoplasmic landmine waiting for any poor OPTC Kerbals who might ever return there :P 

• 1 month later...

I just read the last 10 chapters or so in one go and... I have a few questions.

• How exactly did the "Possessor and possessed" thing work? Saffron was introduced as a normal Kerbal, then they said something about Sanny jumping off a plane and possessing a Kerbal, then Keranna (right?) said it was all her fault, implying she was possessed, then the Kraken Handmaiden possessed... all of them? Then at the very end the body being possessed is Badie? I'm not sure if I just read too fast, but how does that all hang together?
  • Why are the Krakens changing sides so quickly? One minute they're all "you primitives have no chance against us" and then they're going "we need to ally against the Hive!". Is it just because the Kraken Lord, Kraken Empress, and unnamed male Kraken (I'll call him the Kraken Footman for now) are more reasonable than the Handmaiden? Is it because they managed to kill a Kraken and now they're more outnumbered? For that matter, why aren't they out for revenge for the Handmaiden's death?
  • What has been revealed in the last chapter? The Krakens were fighting the E.T. race, who have now been revealed as an assimilating hive mind, but does that still mean they killed five races when they arrived in Kerbol system? Or did they kill them because of Hive corruption? (seems to be this one) And if all that's true, then why do they believe the Krakens? They peeled this information off what the Krakens stuck into Piper's mind, remember, and the Krakens can basically write anything they want into a mind.
  • How does the timeline of the entire thing hang together? I think I remember this being the universe where Earth is a distant past of Kerbin (because the Mun monument is millions of years old). Either way, Badie died on Earth. From what I read, not even "warped into a wormhole" died, straight up "million volts through physical body, buried six feet under" died. From what I got, the same happened to the Handmaiden and Footman, while the Empress was just banished "from this planet". So why are they still around? That means that the ETs didn't save Badie, they copied her. Is that what the Krakens meant by "violating causality"? And if so, why would they do that to resurrect the Handmaiden and Footman? If they didn't resurrect those two, then can Krakens resurrect or heal themselves? If so, how are we sure the Handmaiden is fully dead?

And some notable points:

• The Krakens were lucky that there were only five races in Kerbol when they arrived, because six working together were enough to straight-up kill one of them within minutes. Even if it's a bit of a stretch, or a coincidence, it's kinda cool.
    • Kerbals
    • Humans
    • Laytheans
    • Guardians/Magic Boulders
    • E.Ts (Chibi is descended from one, and they transported Emiko)
    • Krakens themselves (by modifying Thompberry)
  • In general, watching the Handmaiden die was just incredibly satisfying. The whole "thought-tentacles" realization was also pretty well played, and made sense.
  • I honestly expected Badie to stay dead. You made a big point of making her death a major breaking point for Chibi, where she questions if it was worth it to break her free if it just got her killed. Furthermore, she got killed while bringing a Kraken down with her, and also confirmed that one of the few things that will harm a Kraken and not just the host body is another Kraken. I legitimately thought you'd just let her rest... even when the Handmaiden's host was recognized as someone from Earth, I expected someone random, like Cassandra. Having Badie be alive and reunited with Chibi on Kerbin was unexpectedly idealistic.
  • I suspected Samantha of being a Kraken even before the Kerbals did. Having her not be was another unexpectedly idealistic move, but having her not believe in Krakens at all was an even cooler plot point, so that's fine. I totally expected a scene of Val being forced to fight her mother though.
  • Then again, this is a universe where My Little Ponies live on Laythe and you can kill a Kraken by thinking at it really hard, so I shouldn't be expecting some gritty, dark storyline.
  • What games did you use to get the screenshots of Kraken warships? Were the Plati-people from Spore?
  • I read up to the Bridgett/Saffron segment a year ago... then reread it now, and I got the reference. I MISSED A REFERENCE FOR A WHOLE YEAR.

Hey! Yeah... I know it got a little complicated at the end... let me see if I can elaborate

Saffron was normal until Kokomo Island, where Emiko fried Saffron's mind to protect her friends. After that Saffron was put into cryo... But Sanny the Ghost, who was constantly following Emiko around in hopes of getting back to her monolith on Ovok, found Saffron's "empty" body, and decided to "borrow" it for a while.

Not long after Kuzzter and Geschosskopf were taking Saffron/Sanny back to the KSC, but when they flew over "ground zero", where the krakens devastated Baukenbaur, she "felt" all the back ground radiation, which she considers "positive energy"... this is how she originally died of radiation poisoning in @Geschosskopf's OP Travelling Circus. Anyway, when she picks up all that wonderful "positive energy" she gets this crazy idea of starting her own religion to worship her monolith, and jumps ship...

Yeah... that completely backfires and causes a mass panic... and at this point Sanny, along with Saffron, cops an attitude with the "stupid unenlightened kerbs", leave Saffron's body and head back to the KSC to find Emiko... and come up with another way for her to get back to Ovok.

But then Saffron's body also shows up back at the KSC... only now the Handmaiden is possessing it... which means she must have homed in on it right after Sanny left it... and also must have left Bruberry's body, which she was previously possessing, out in the desert where Geschosskopf and his recruit find her a little later on.

Now how Badie fits into this is her body died on Earth, yes, but her spirit endured, and held onto the Kraken handmaiden spirit with everything she had... like having a ghost trying to strangle another ghost throughout eternity. The inspiration was from a TOS episode called "The Alternative Factor". This is why I kept saying the handmaiden was "insane"... She was constantly fighting off Badie in her mind.

So when the Laytheans, along with Emiko, Chibi and Thompberry, finally vanquished the Handmaiden from Saffron's body, all that was left was the soul of poor, shattered, Badie... who needless to say is extremely messed up and confused.

Not gonna lie... it was all just a very complicated way to bring Badie into the kerbal end of the story, and try to make it semi-believable.

As for the Empress and Emiko... my idea was yes, the Kraken's thought of Kerbals as primitives... But Emiko was a feisty primitive, who kept standing up to the Empress and trying to fight back even when the odds were totally against her... In many ways this impressed the Empress, and she started growing fond of this little insect. And in the end the Krakens came to realize it wasn't really Emiko or Chibi, but the Laytheans who actually took the handmaiden down.

And the Laytheans were part of the Hive, which we only learn about at the end... and really don't know what exactly it is yet.

What we do know is this whole time the Krakens apparently thought Emiko and Chibi, being so closely associated with the ET's, were totally under their control. But in the end they learn their error... Emiko and Chibi and the rest are NOT of the Hive... Kerbin has NOT been absorbed... which changes everything.  Yes, the Krakens still want revenge... but they realize now they were aiming at the wrong target this whole time.

5 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

What games did you use to get the screenshots of Kraken warships? Were the Plati-people from Spore?

Platy-people and insectoid screenshots were from Spore, yes. Kraken and ET warship screenshots were from "Sins of a Solar Empire".

Edited by Just Jim

Oh yeah, one more thing I liked: the Handmaiden's growing sense of panic as she realizes all the stuff that's turned up to kill her.

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

What we do know is this whole time the Krakens apparently thought Emiko and Chibi, being so closely associated with the ET's, were totally under their control. But in the end they learn their error... Emiko and Chibi and the rest are NOT of the Hive... Kerbin has NOT been absorbed... which changes everything.  Yes, the Krakens still want revenge... but they realize now they were aiming at the wrong target this whole time.

Sorry, uh... this is gonna be a hard sell. The Krakens were possessing both humans and Kerbals and actually integrated into Kerbal society as Parka B. Kerman; how did they not notice that they weren't linked into the Hive? (Though I will note that the Kraken Lord was way more benevolent than the others). The Empress also seemed extremely vindictive over the Handmaiden's death and the Kerbals did contribute significantly towards killing her; the Laytheans did virtually nothing alone. Furthermore, the Krakens have done all sorts of horrible stuff for pretty much no reason; possessing Badie just to hurt Chibi and Emiko ranks high on that list, so the Kerbals aren't going to be forgiving them anytime soon. Essentially, while the Krakens might have the Kerbals convinced that the Hive is a bigger threat... they still have a LOT of explaining to do.

I also noticed the title of the first post:

On 12/13/2015 at 7:18 PM, Just Jim said:

Chapter 1
Is This The End?

No!

Not by a long shot it's not!

12 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Essentially, while the Krakens might have the Kerbals convinced that the Hive is a bigger threat... they still have a LOT of explaining to do.

Hahahaha, It's cool, your doubts and suspicions are quite justified... Remember what Emiko herself said in Chapter 100...

"Oh, so now Krakens good guys?" Emiko snorted. "Not believing it!!!"

:D

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Hahahaha, It's cool, your doubts and suspicions are quite justified... Remember what Emiko herself said in Chapter 100...

"Oh, so now Krakens good guys?" Emiko snorted. "Not believing it!!!"

:D

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and misery acquaints a Kraken (etc) with strange bedfellows. -_-

also, trust but verify...

I will freely admit to not having read the Saga (I have read a few posts a few years back) but I just wanted to say that over half a million views and nearly 7000 posts is staggering, and something really to be extremely proud of.  I just read that the average non fiction book in the US sells less than 3000 copies in its lifetime, and 250 copies per year.  given that this Saga is clearly a work of non fiction (:sticktongue:) my comparison is totally correct and the above post statistics are truly incredible. 

the Saga of Emiko station must be in an exclusive club of maybe under 5 posts with more than half a million views across the whole forum.  Most of which are picture spamming threads.

I will one day sit down and read this as I would read a scifi novel, and no doubt enjoy it greatly.

SM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.