The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

4 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Huh? English Comrade

A poke is bugging the authors to write a new chapter
But I consider your comment a legitimate question.
Unfortunately I have no clear answer, I honestly just don't know yet

Edited by Just Jim

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

A poke is bugging the authors to write a new chapter
But I consider your comment a legitimate question.
Unfortunately I have no clear answer, I honestly just don't know yet

Awww, ok, but can we at least can hope. I bet you’d get toty again with Vol 2.

HANSON HAS RETURNED!!

here have a Poke in Pokémon battle format

Hanson (back from the dead form) used Poke!

Hanson waits for a response...

If you do volume 2 in KSP 2, could you just give the fourth wall a joke? Something like “it almost looks like the world was upgraded! Like... the Kerbal Space Program... 2!”

Edited by HansonKerman
Hanson used Sneaky Edit! Hanson added a ...!

11 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

HANSON HAS RETURNED!!

here have a Poke in Pokémon battle format

Hanson (back from the dead form) used Poke!

OK, that's funny... it's not a poke, it's a Poké

Good to see you back, and thank you, I really needed the laugh

On 3/8/2020 at 5:39 AM, Just Jim said:

OK, that's funny... it's not a poke, it's a Poké

Good to see you back, and thank you, I really needed the laugh

5,545 posts. Wow. Poke the poke to make a new poke chapter on the Book of Pokes.

@Just Jim, can you make this into a book? Would definitely be the first buyer! I bet that you are gonna turn it down but hey, was worth a shot.

3 hours ago, Mikenike said:

[C]an you make this into a book? Would definitely be the first buyer! I bet that you are gonna turn it down but hey, was worth a shot.

The issue is less that Jim would turn it down, and more that TTI would turn it down.

6 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

TTI? Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?!!!!!!!!!

Take Two Interactive, the company that actually owns the IP rights to KSP. Of which @Just Jim is actually an employee, which makes it a slightly-less-than-zero chance at this point, but I think he just doesn’t have the time. And like @0111narwhalz said, there’d likely be other IP issues too. 

Yep. Emiko  was posted on these forums, so unless the EULA has changed since I last looked (which it may have done) TTI own the copyright to it and don’t even have to credit Jim as the author unless they choose to.

One would hope that they would out of common courtesy  but they’re not legally obliged to.

And yes, in my opinion, that last part sucks.

9 minutes ago, KSK said:

Yep. Emiko  was posted on these forums, so unless the EULA has changed since I last looked (which it may have done) TTI own the copyright to it and don’t even have to credit Jim as the author unless they choose to.

One would hope that they would out of common courtesy  but they’re not legally obliged to.

And yes, in my opinion, that last part sucks.

I’m not a lawyer but reading the EULA, they don’t own the copyright. They do get an irrevocable license to treat the material as if it were theirs including everything you mentioned, so there’s that, but Just Jim remains the owner of the copyright.

Truth be told, this can either be a rights-grab, or CYA, and probably a bit of both (with the rights-grabbing being collateral damage). It’s a bit like photo sharing sites “trying to steal your copyrights” — no, if you want them to transfer your photos over the web they will need some indemnification to do so.

I suspect it’s the same way here. Yes, theoretically this gives T2 the right to use Emiko’s story as the basis for a Netflix series. The reality is that somewhere in the past some game developer showed a screenshot that was grabbed from the web and ended up with a copyright lawsuit; clauses like these prevent serious monetary damage where honest mistakes are made.

Of course it also creates room for less honest practices. You can wonder how far the developer of a game that relies heavily on a connection with their community will push their luck in that regards, though.

Fair point - as mentioned, it’s been a while since I read the thing.

And yeah -  I can understand the reasons for TTI wanting to control the copyrights and, like you I’m inclined to believe that it’s mostly CYA. I’ve been an IP manager for long enough (in the public, higher education and private sectors) to get that.

It is (or was) the part about content creators waiving their moral rights (which includes the right to be identified as the creator of that content) that always stuck in my craw, not least because I recall it being written as a straight up waiver rather than a clause which TTI could enforce or not at their discretion.

I find it a lot harder to find a CYA justification for that and if that waiver has gone, I’d be very glad to hear it.

Anyhow, this isn’t really fair on Jim, who’s not exactly in a place to comment, so can we agree to call it a day on this discussion on-thread? Happy to take it to PMs if you’d like.

Edited by KSK

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2020 at 2:10 PM, HansonKerman said:

we can wait but...

we can’t wait :D

we know V2 will be just as good as V1.

WE CANNOT, WILL NOT, AND DO NOT WANT TO WAIT WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?

Please don't judge, the caps were me just tryna be funny. If I do offend someone, I can change it.

Edited by Kerballing (Got Dunked On)
added an expanded joke

• 1 month later...

Wow... I am so thrilled to announce the trailer for the upcoming... Emiko Station: the Movie!!!

This is a cinematic adaptation by none other than Oraldo Revak... a.k.a xDarkMonkeyz... creator of the awesome MoHole series (what, you think I'd let just anyone make Emiko into a movie??? hehehe)

I hope you all are as excited as I am... this is gonna be fun!!!

Oh... if you are not already familiar with Oraldo's work... shame on you... lol (just kidding)
Here's something to hold y'all over for the next couple weeks, Oraldo's magnificent MoHole series

MoHole
MoHole II
MoHole III

Edited by Just Jim

9 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... I am so thrilled to announce the trailer for the upcoming... Emiko Station: the Movie!!!

This is a cinematic adaptation by none other than Oraldo revak... a.k.a xDarkMonkeyz... creator of the awesome MoHole series (what, you think I'd let just anyone make Emiko into a movie??? hehehe)

I hope you all are as excited as I am... this is gonna be fun!!!

Oh... if you are not already familiar with Oraldo's work... shame on you... lol (just kidding)
Here's something to hold y'all over for the next couple weeks, Oraldo's magnificent MoHole series

MoHole
MoHole II
MoHole III

extreme happy face

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.