The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

On 11/18/2020 at 6:31 PM, sir rocket said:

does the fact that it's been delayed to 2022 change that?

On 11/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, KerballingSmasher said:

I'd sure hope not...

On 11/20/2020 at 11:59 PM, camacju said:

And I as well!

On 11/21/2020 at 3:50 PM, DualDesertEagle said:

Oh HAILLLL NAAAAW!!!

Actually, yes, I'm pretty damn sure we'll have to wait another year then!

Unless of course @Just Jimis gonna change his plans accordingly and make Volume 2 still based on KSP1

I don't know... maybe???
I haven't wanted to really say anything, or commit to it yet... but the last few months I've been rolling this same question around in my head a lot

I have an idea... maybe... for a slightly shorter Emiko 1.5... if you will

I don't know any more than you all do about KSP2... but we all know one thing from the videos that have been released... everything looks different. 
OK,  so reality must have taken a radical turn sideways...
But why??? And how??? What is going on here??? 
If Emiko 2 is going to be written in KSP2... how did everything change so drastically... can it be explained???

And maybe... maybe,... with what limited info we have to work with... I may have come with a somewhat crazy idea how to do it... 
I am far, far too busy right now, but after 1.11 we can talk about it

In the meantime, here's a few prototype screenshots to ponder

screenshot473.png

screenshot851.png

screenshot1301.png

screenshot1413.png

screenshot1423.png

screenshot1025.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 5:05 PM, Just Jim said:

I have an idea... maybe... for a slightly shorter Emiko 1.5... if you will

One that will explain the sudden changes in storyline in the switch to KSP2?? Or one to revive an amazing series and help pass the 2 year time gap between now and then. I just realized that Emiko Station 2 would come around 6 years after the orginal story was started. That's a long time to write a sequel.

On a side note, I absolutely LOVE the use of robotic parts to make that robot.

3 hours ago, Mikenike said:

One that will explain the sudden changes in storyline in the switch to KSP2?? Or one to revive an amazing series and help pass the 2 year time gap between now and then...

A little of both, actually... I hope???
My biggest issue right now is I I don't know anymore about KSP2 than y'all do... so it's hard to plan ahead. I'm just I'm kind of guessing at this point
But... having said that... I'm thinking stealing a page from Doctor Who (again) that might be just what I'm looking for to bridge the gap...

Spoiler

I have a similar dilemma with my "When We Left Kerbin" storyline. At the end of that story, the crew of a desert research base ran through the stargate that they discovered in order to avoid an exploding fusion reactor. The original plan was to have them arrive in Galileo Planet Pack's Gaia, and then try to get back home, only to land in KSP 2. But with KSP 2 delayed until 2022, I'm not sure what to do with them. "To The Mun" was a reboot into JNSQ, so maybe I can do something with them there, but for now those characters are in limbo...

Anyway, whatever you end up doing @JustJim, I know it'll be awesome. :)

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

I am worried about the rocket or plane there, much less then the girl with the gap in her face.

53 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

That is not a plane... or a rocket... it's so much worse  

That's one of the comets added in 1.10, but knowing Jim, he'll make it into something much scarier/more awesome... :D

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

That is not a plane... or a rocket... it's so much worse  

ICBM??? Oh shoot.

24 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That's one of the comets added in 1.10, but knowing Jim, he'll make it into something much scarier/more awesome... :D

They would have evaced the center if it were an asteroid. Thus it must be a ALCM or short range ICBM. ICBMs give off little warning to the targeted place.

2 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

They would have evaced the center if it were an asteroid. Thus it must be a ALCM or short range ICBM. ICBMs give off little warning to the targeted place.

Comet tails are visible from a long way away, that one's probably orbiting the sun.

4 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Seems like its heading for KSC, and hit has the distinct jet powered trail behind it that is left in high altitudes.

I don't want to ruin the speculation here but this is what a comet looks like in space (on the left):

PAzTxrl.png

The diffuse grey tail is the dust tail, and the bluish straight tail is the gas tail. What we see in Jim's image is definitely a comet.

20 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't want to ruin the speculation here but this is what a comet looks like in space (on the left):

PAzTxrl.png

The diffuse grey tail is the dust tail, and the bluish straight tail is the gas tail. What we see in Jim's image is definitely a comet.

Well then why would the dust trail turn like that, if its going straight in space then we would not see a curve from ground level, and the dust trail would be significantly smaller than it is. On top of that, it is a very sharp turn, indicating to me it has control surfaces or some sort of RCS/SAS system.

2 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Well then why would the dust trail turn like that, if its going straight in space then we would not see a curve from ground level, and the dust trail would be significantly smaller than it is. On top of that, it is a very sharp turn, indicating to me it has control surfaces or some sort of RCS/SAS system.

The dust trail turns because the solar wind is blowing the dust away from the sun while the comet moves around the sun.

On 12/15/2020 at 12:45 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

What we see in Jim's image is definitely a comet.

Yes... it's a comet. An interstellar beast of a comet... all I'm gonna say.

But as for comets in general, that's how they actually look, and our team did an amazing job of getting it right. Comets have two tails, and the one in that screenshot is at a really good angle so you can see both of them. The white tail that curls is the dust tail, and like was already mentioned, it's being pushed by the solar winds as it orbits the sun, which is why it curls. The blue tail is the Ion tail, and that shoots straight back from the comet, away from the sun, with no curl. All the comets in the game are unique, no two will be exactly alike, so what you see is going to depend on its size, orbit, and how close it is to where you are viewing it from.  And the ion tails can range from light blue to a dark almost purple. 

I don't know if I mentioned that comet in the first saga or not... maybe???  But you will all find out it soon enough.
I also plan on digging a little deeper into early Kerbal history and mythology in this one... make that a lot deeper

OK, that's enough spoilers for now

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yes... it's a comet. An interstellar beast of a comet... all I'm gonna say.

But as for comets in general, that's how they actually look, and our team did an amazing job of getting it right. Comets have two tails, and the one in that screenshot is at a really good angle so you can see both of them. The white tail that curls is the dust tail, and like was already mentioned, it's being pushed by the solar winds as it orbits the sun, which is why it curls. The blue tail is the Ion tail, and that shoots straight back from the comet, away from the sun, with no curl. All the comets in the game are unique, no two will be exactly alike, so what you see is going to depend on its size, orbit, and how close it is to where you are viewing it from.  And the ion tails can range from light blue to a dark almost purple. 

I don't know if I mentioned that comet in the first saga or not... maybe???  But you will all find out it soon enough.
I also plan on digging a little deeper into early Kerbal history and mythology in this one... make that a lot deeper

OK, that's enough spoilers for now

Fun. I was wrong. I don't think you did mention it in the first saga. When can we expect the first chapter to release?? I am now going to re-follow this thread just for that purpose.

20 hours ago, Mikenike said:

When can we expect the first chapter to release?? I am now going to re-follow this thread just for that purpose.

I'm not sure yet... I've got the first few chapters done in my head, but we've been way too busy the last few months working on 1.11 for me to do anything other than that
The screenshots I posted were prototypes I did over the summer... I'd like to retake new ones of quite a few...
I'm hoping to have the first chapter or two maybe sometime between Christmas and New Year

screenshot755.png

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I'm hoping to have the first chapter or two maybe sometime between Christmas and New Year

Ok. That's kinda sad, though. I will be away on vacation around that time, but hey, more time for me to read it on the trip. Also, I like the addition of the 1.11 lights as eyes on the spider evil bot. So is Thompberry turning against them again? Just saying cause he was mostly to blame for the orginal rovers.

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

Ok. That's kinda sad, though. I will be away on vacation around that time, but hey, more time for me to read it on the trip. Also, I like the addition of the 1.11 lights as eyes on the spider evil bot. So is Thompberry turning against them again? Just saying cause he was mostly to blame for the orginal rovers.

Who said it was Thompberry? There might be another A.I...

11 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Ok. That's kinda sad, though. I will be away on vacation around that time, but hey, more time for me to read it on the trip

Yeah... sorry. But you have to understand. For the last few months. from the time I get up until I go to bed I've been working. My biggest... and only... priority is the game itself, and trying to make it as perfect as possible. Everyone is counting on us to get this right, and it would be horribly unfair if I was off writing instead of focusing on my job.
Now that it's out, I can take a bit of a breather and work on this a bit.

As for whether that is Thompberry... well, it looks like him... only older... so very much older... curious, huh???  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.