This pretty much sums up how I feel when launching a Kerbal rocket...

Flash_Kerman

Indeed.

Rocket Robin really was a point of reference when KSP was in it's early stages. So much so, in fact, that KSP was actually 2D back then. The game itself was 3D, but movement was restricted to the XY plane (a la Little Big Planet). You couldn't go forward or backward. Also, the Flight UI was a vertical column, much like the one in Rocket Robin.

Later we felt that this 2D imposition wasn't working, and we did away with the restriction. It was just a matter of changing the controls a bit, and removing the Z-axis lock, and the game was fully 3D.

The interface we revised later, because that column was taking up way too much space, and showing very little information. Also, notice that there is no icon stack. Instead, there was a single tab to represent each stage.

Notice also how different the terrain was. This was before the procedural terrain engine was created, so the area around the launchpad was just a default Unity terrain, and the planet was just a great big sphere. Actually, it was ridiculously smaller than it is now. IIRC, the planet was about 20km in radius (as opposed to 600km now). There was also no atmospheric scattering system. The sky was just a solid color that changed from teal to black according to altitude.

Here's a screenshot of KSP v0.3:

Cheers

I like the instruments clustered to one side instead of blocking the view of the rocket in the middle. Looks cobbled together like a kerbal would, from spare parts. :D

Yeah, that was the intention... but it took up a lot of space for unnecessary stuff, and it wasn't at all flexible... When we went to add more stuff, the best solution was to start over... The only things that survived were the VS gauge, it's LED, and the altimeter.

Cheers

What do you mean by solid? As in collision detection? If I remember correctly, I think the water didn't even have a collider back then... you just went through it.

Cheers

Well, just sitting on top of the water like in the current version is what I mean by solid =p

What do you mean by solid? As in collision detection? If I remember correctly, I think the water didn't even have a collider back then... you just went through it.

If you land in the water, you sit on top of it like it was blue ground with a water texture. You can even roll around on it. I had a rocket blow up and leave one of those 3m four nozzle thrusters in the water and it looked like it was just sitting on the ground, everything was above the water line.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Yeah, right now there is no buoyancy simulation for the water... It is certainly possible though, we might include this later on, and if performance allows, waves as well.

I'd just send items that hit the water to Davey Jones locker. Eventually water landings with flotation devices (similar to Apollo capsules) should be added.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Indeed.

Rocket Robin really was a point of reference when KSP was in it's early stages. So much so, in fact, that KSP was actually 2D back then. The game itself was 3D, but movement was restricted to the XY plane (a la Little Big Planet). You couldn't go forward or backward. Also, the Flight UI was a vertical column, much like the one in Rocket Robin.

Later we felt that this 2D imposition wasn't working, and we did away with the restriction. It was just a matter of changing the controls a bit, and removing the Z-axis lock, and the game was fully 3D.

The interface we revised later, because that column was taking up way too much space, and showing very little information. Also, notice that there is no icon stack. Instead, there was a single tab to represent each stage.

Notice also how different the terrain was. This was before the procedural terrain engine was created, so the area around the launchpad was just a default Unity terrain, and the planet was just a great big sphere. Actually, it was ridiculously smaller than it is now. IIRC, the planet was about 20km in radius (as opposed to 600km now). There was also no atmospheric scattering system. The sky was just a solid color that changed from teal to black according to altitude.

Here's a screenshot of KSP v0.3:

Cheers

Damn it! Being a die hard top gear fanboy I should have known the connections between the two, shame on me! :(

And now with that said, I demand the future offical KSP Shuttle be modeled after the Reliant Robin :D

Damn it! Being a die hard top gear fanboy I should have known the connections between the two, shame on me! :(

And now with that said, I demand the future offical KPS Shuttle be modeled after the Reliant Robin :D

Ha! I did think about that there is similarity with the flash game, so I should've guessed it was an inspiration. :D

Maybe we should make official feature request for Reliable Robin shuttle?

Hehe, I wouldn't go as far as saying Rocket Robin inspired KSP, because the idea for KSP existed before I found out about it... But it did influence the early design of the game considerably.

About the shuttle, definitely. :D

Cheers