Jeb's Vac Vacation, Part 1: Moho Via Gilly

Gojira1000

I'm not sure where to put this (no, not there, shaddup) as it's neither a piece of fanfiction (well, sorta) nor an original challenge.

Anyway, it's pretty self-explanatory and is basically a visual journal of a really bad idea. I hadn't landed a kerbonaut on Moho and thought well, let's land on EVERYTHING with no atmosphere. Because reasons.

Watch Episode 1: Jeb's Vac Vacation: Moho via Gilly

Short form:

Jeb takes something that's not his and sets off to visit every airless planet in the Kerbol system.

If you want to try your own version, the limits are as follows: One ship, one launch, no refuelling (so ISRU required, unless you're a dV genius) - Jeb has to go, and shanghai one other Kerbal to keep him from getting lonely. Mods: KJR, Engineer, MechJeb, KW Rocketry and aesthetic-only mods allowed. No F12 or hyperedit cheatiness. Land on every airless planetoid and return to Kerbin orbit, hitch a ride to the ground.

MechJeb spent all of episode one trying to kill me, so I suspect that's gone for 2.

If people decide it's not too much a Junior Grand Tour (and I think it probably is) it can always move to challenges. And no, I'm doomed to failure because of Tylo. But I'll get all the rest.

If this became a challenge I'd have to do two badges. Regular and "Oh my God you managed Tylo"

Tylo is a moon.  If your mission is to every airless planet that's Moho, Dres and Eeloo.
If you're not sure of where to put all this, maybe Mission Reports?  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/51-mission-reports/

Edited by Pecan
Idiot fingers typed 'Duna' instead of Eeloo - how wrong is that!

Yeah it should be over there, really. If I could move it ...

"Airless bodies" would be a better definition. Excluding asteroids. I guess. By my own poor definition, though, I could make it an easy run, just Moho-Dres-Eeloo and a few pit stops. Might be the best bet, this feels silly and self-congratulatory, already.

43 minutes ago, Gojira1000 said:

Oh, fine, have your Elon Musk, then :)

I find that Space-Y is the antithesis of SpaceX.  You can build these immensely powerful rockets which naturally you use to go WAY WAY out there, far beyond any idea of return and reuse :).  Sure, Space-Y has these mondo landing legs but they're not for booster.  They're for the friggin' flying CITIES that the massive rockets allow you to heave to Tylo and land there all in 1 big chunk :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.