I need a Buoy!

inigma

I need a buoy that can be dropped from an aircraft, and landed safely on the ocean, for a contract I am developing for my contract pack: 

Giving Aircraft a Purpose:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/124994-105dec-15-2015-contract-pack-giving-aircraft-a-purpose-gap-03-air-flights-tours-coast-guard-sts/

Specifically for:
KSC Coast Guard: Buoy Drop (drop two buoys in the waters off KSC) #34
https://github.com/inigmatus/GAP/issues/34

Specifically it's to be required of a player when attempting to complete the KSC Coast Guard: Buoy Drop contract I am developing for GAP 0.4. The contract requires three or four buoys to be dropped in a single aircraft mission.

If I select yours, you will receive proper credit!

It needs an early game antenna, early game parachute, early game probe core (not sputnik), solar panel, barometer, and possibly a battery (not required). It also needs to be small enough that three or four can be carried on an airplane, preferably under a wing. A very simple set of parts, but who can design one or even a stackable set of buoys that actually look good? :D 

I'd make one myself, but I figured I'd give someone else the opportunity to have their work memorialized in a contract pack.

Edited by inigma

So here's "Buoy 2". Around 1.4 tons 21 parts, ready to be attached to a wing or cargo bay. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e76pxhrmcpxrmg/Buoy-2.craft?dl=0

Don't forget to make sure that when you attach in symmetry that all docking ports are set to enable staging. The craft file has it set that way, but when you mirror it doesn't mirror that setting. So it has the basic antenna, an OKTO probe core, and the very first parachute. 

Edited by FlipNascar
Fixed pics.

4 hours ago, FlipNascar said:

So here's "Buoy 2". Around 1.4 tons 21 parts, ready to be attached to a wing or cargo bay. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e76pxhrmcpxrmg/Buoy-2.craft?dl=0

Don't forget to make sure that when you attach in symmetry that all docking ports are set to enable staging. The craft file has it set that way, but when you mirror it doesn't mirror that setting. So it has the basic antenna, an OKTO probe core, and the very first parachute. 

A most excellent design!  I forgot to mention it needs a barometer so I can check for deployment.

4 hours ago, burnoutforzai said:

I'll give it a go!

Edit:

What 'tier' of parts are we looking at here. 1-6ish? or less?

Small part count preferred. Also needs a barometer (which I will use to check for buoy release).

2 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Sounds interesting. Im on it. Can I have picture of your tech tree/cash?

No tech tree or cash required. The subassembly is provided free of charge to the player, as-is regardless if one has the tech or not. :)

Edited by inigma

7 hours ago, inigma said:

I need a buoy that can be dropped from an aircraft, and landed safely on the ocean, for a contract I am developing for my contract pack: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/124994-105dec-15-2015-contract-pack-giving-aircraft-a-purpose-gap-03-air-flights-tours-coast-guard-sts/

Specifically it's to be required of a player when attempting to complete the KSC Coast Guard: Buoy Drop contract I am developing for GAP 0.4. The contract requires three or four buoys to be dropped in a single aircraft mission.

If I select yours, you will receive proper credit!

It needs an early game antenna, early game parachute, early game probe core (not sputnik), and a solar panel. It also needs to be small enough that three or four can be carried on an airplane, preferably under a wing. A very simple set of parts, but who can design one or even a stackable set of buoys that actually look good? :D 

I'd make one myself, but I figured I'd give someone else the opportunity to have their work memorialized in a contract pack.

There are many types of buoy, which one would you like? Cardinal?, a special mark? channel markers? emergency wreak marking buoy? Safe water mark? Lateral mark?

I like clarity. :D

Edited by Majorjim

3 hours ago, inigma said:

A most excellent design!  I forgot to mention it needs a barometer so I can check for deployment.

Small part count preferred. Also needs a barometer (which I will use to check for buoy release).

No tech tree or cash required. The subassembly is provided free of charge to the player, as-is regardless if one has the tech or not. :)

Original download link updated to include a barometer thingy...

5 hours ago, Majorjim said:

There are many types of buoy, which one would you like? Cardinal?, a special mark? channel markers? emergency wreak marking buoy? Safe water mark? Lateral mark?

I like clarity. :D

Navigation buoy. Cardinal, with a small science package to watch out for storms.

3 hours ago, FlipNascar said:

Original download link updated to include a barometer thingy...

Awesome!  Very aerodynamic and modern buoy-looking. You are at the top of the list. I will test them out and let you know!

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

My submission.  Not amazingly stable, it fell over when I hit it with my plane.

I like it! To keep them upright, possibly use some ballast? Ore or fuel tank? 

Edited by inigma

31 minutes ago, inigma said:

Navigation buoy. Cardinal, with a small science package to watch out for storms.

Awesome!  Very aerodynamic and modern buoy-looking. You are at the top of the list. I will test them out and let you know!

I like it! To keep them upright, possibly use some ballast? Ore or fuel tank? 

Junos work very well as ballast. Small and you can offset them into eachother and hide them nicely. I have four tucked away in my nose cone to make sure it stays upright.

I had a pop at this, and buoy it was harder than I thought. :confused: 

I tried all sorts of overly complex typically Speeding Mullet million part designs and in the end settled on this.  Funny thing is it works....Every time.  It's small, basic tech, stack-able, and fits under the wing of a basic plane (also supplied)

OK so it's not the best looking buoy ever, but it's functional and I think fits the brief!

Here's the craft file.  Obviously I can turn the stack into a craft file or sub assembly if it is selected as the winner, unless you feel like doing it yourself!  I think each buoy is 7 parts.

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

Got another nice stock buoy for you. And it actually looks like a real life buoy.

screenshot3.png

With the FT-T100 drained and the three Oscar-Bs at the bottom filled it weights just over 1,4 tons and is naturally stable. It will float with the ladders just above the water.
It can be dropped by parachuted and will splash down at roughly 6.5m/s. Well within the safety limit.

Edited by Tex_NL

ok, here's mine: http://www./download/sjbzm9kjgqi1ndc/Buoy.craft

Sorry, no pics- I'm at school, so no imgur.

It's designed in 1.04, so I don't know how it floats. But the COM is below the area designed to float, so it should be stable. It's got a ladder, yellow lights, the barometer, and enough batteries to support it for 3 hours at night. About 25 parts, 2.2 tons. It's also pretty real-looking, IMO.

30 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

ok, here's mine: http://www./download/sjbzm9kjgqi1ndc/Buoy.craft

Sorry, no pics- I'm at school, so no imgur.

It's designed in 1.04, so I don't know how it floats. But the COM is below the area designed to float, so it should be stable. It's got a ladder, yellow lights, the barometer, and enough batteries to support it for 3 hours at night. About 25 parts, 2.2 tons. It's also pretty real-looking, IMO.

Post an imgur for others to see. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.