Nasa is pulling out of ISS by 2028

RainDreamer

Why is this surprising? The ISS is already rather old: Zarya was launched more than 17 years ago. By 2028 the oldest parts of the space station would be 30 years old. Air Filters will get clogged, solar panels will lose efficiency, O-rings will start to leak etc. It would be a flying scrapyard, no wonder that they want out by then.

Well, NASA not supporting ISS any more is not new, but it is interesting that they are not going to do anymore spacestation programs, instead leaving that to private sector. I thought they would at least have some sort of orbital infrastructure to support their mars project.

Both of the article say in the 2020s, not 2028- if it was 2028, it would be news.

10 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

At that point (if all goes well), we'll be having plans to go to asteroids and most likely Block II SLS. Also, we've said we're going to cooperate with the Russians on the new Space Station.

If NASA gets its way, and Rocosmos' budget doesn't change, it will be with Bigelo or US Commercial companies, not Russia. (At least their preferred scenario)

Hopefully Block II WILL NOT be made. Block II is likely only going to suck the air out of the SLS/Orion room, using up money that could (and should) be used for payloads. Block II is only useful for singe launch to the moon (unlikely, considering these missions are planned to use Double-launch SLS instead) and manned Mars (good luck on the money!).

1 hour ago, fredinno said:

Both of the article say in the 2020s, not 2028- if it was 2028, it would be news.

If NASA gets its way, and Rocosmos' budget doesn't change, it will be with Bigelo or US Commercial companies, not Russia. (At least their preferred scenario)

Hopefully Block II WILL NOT be made. Block II is likely only going to suck the air out of the SLS/Orion room, using up money that could (and should) be used for payloads. Block II is only useful for singe launch to the moon (unlikely, considering these missions are planned to use Double-launch SLS instead) and manned Mars (good luck on the money!).

I think Block IB could go to the moon. And Block II could be useful to payloads to Mars. The bottom line is we need Block II if we're going to go to Mars.

PS: It's Bigelow, not "Bigelo". And while I kind of Agree, I just think that the modular stations like ISS will be more useful.

1 hour ago, Glaran K'erman said:

Whatever has to happen to keep them from deorbiting the thing. But yea 2024-2028 have been well known dates, I only hope they find someone by then willing to take care of the maintenance mess it'll become.

They'll just control reentry.

41 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

I think Block IB could go to the moon. And Block II could be useful to payloads to Mars. The bottom line is we need Block II if we're going to go to Mars.

PS: It's Bigelow, not "Bigelo". And while I kind of Agree, I just think that the modular stations like ISS will be more useful.

We don't even technically need SLS at all for Mars.

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

The core concept of Bigelow space stations are inflatables, which can still be modular. Also, BA-2100 can only be lacunhed on SLS, and is a good size for a 7-man research station.

23 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

They'll just control reentry.

We don't even technically need SLS at all for Mars.

No, but Block II allows Mars Semi-Direct to be done- also, it is the baseline for Mars missions currently.

Techinically, EELVs can do Mars too. The main factor is practicality.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.