Potentially Habitable Exoplanets

Spaceception

So this is a redo of the "Habitable Exoplanets" post, which was in "The Lounge" (My mistake:/)

Information about Potentially Habitable exoplanets:  http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-exoplanets-catalog

And Exomoons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentially_habitable_moons

And KOI planets (You'll have to scroll down): http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-exoplanets-catalog/data

Some news of a new "Earthlike exoplanet" discovered today (16/12/15): http://www.astrobio.net/topic/deep-space/new-planets/nearby-star-hosts-closest-alien-planet-habitable-zone/

A large picture of 31 (Soon to be 32) Potentially habitable exoplanets: http://www.hpcf.upr.edu/~abel/phl/HEC_All_Distance.jpg

Gas giants in the habitable zone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Giant_planets_in_the_habitable_zone

Could red dwarfs be good places for life? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitability_of_red_dwarf_systems

What about Orange dwarfs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitability_of_K-type_main-sequence_star_systems

So lets talk about Potentially Habitable exoplanets; Again:D

EDIT: The previous "Habitable exoplanet" thread has been closed, here's the link if you want to read the posts. :) http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127131-habitable-exoplanets/

Awesome new news here by @ProtoJeb21 :D

Edited by Spaceception

7 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

KOI-433.02 m isn't in the poll. It has an ESI of 0.93. I vote for it. 

I wasn't planning on adding KOI planets, although, I guess I'll pick the top 5 (By ESI) and put it on the  poll. :)

13 hours ago, Scotius said:

Orbit close to a red dwarf - so the planet is almost certainly tidal locked. Plus it's mass is four times that of Earth's. Do not expect a garden world :)

Still, it's 13.8 ly away, does anyone else get the "I wanna build a Starship" feeling?

Edited by Spaceception

13 hours ago, Spaceception said:

So this is a redo of the "Habitable Exoplanets" post (Btw, if anyone knows how to delete a post please tell me), which was in "The Lounge" (My mistake :/)

Spaceception, instead of making a duplicate thread and everybody getting confused which one is the better one to post to, you can always "report" your own post and ask the moderators to move it to the proper forum instead.

I've gone ahead and done that for you before this one gets too long, but you may want to do it yourself and include the link to the other thread. I hope this doesn't come across as "backseat moderating" (since I'm not a mod myself), but it's not obvious to everyone that the mods will move stuff if they know about it, and that the "report" is the best way to go about it.

5 minutes ago, pincushionman said:

Spaceception, instead of making a duplicate thread and everybody getting confused which one is the better one to post to, you can always "report" your own post and ask the moderators to move it to the proper forum instead.

I've gone ahead and done that for you before this one gets too long, but you may want to do it yourself and include the link to the other thread. I hope this doesn't come across as "backseat moderating" (since I'm not a mod myself), but it's not obvious to everyone that the mods will move stuff if they know about it, and that the "report" is the best way to go about it.

Okay, thanks:)

Who else thinks that K2-18 b could have a single Mars sized moon (With life)? Now, I know what some of you are thinking, why doesn't any of the Gas giants in our solar system have large Earth-sized moons? Well, just look at the size comparison between the Earth and the Moon. It's not likely, but it's possible that there could be a Mars-Earth sized moon orbiting the planet, and since the planet has 1. A red dwarf parent star, 2. Would be pretty large compared the star, 3. Is 111 ly away, and 4. The JWST is going up soon, so it's entirely possible that JWST could find and confirm an Earthlike Exomoon around that planet with relative ease.

Edited by Spaceception

The Moon formed in a collision between Earth and Theia. Rock hitting rock and knocking off pieces. With gas giants, you can't do that. Rock hitting gas gives you a different rotation of gas and no rock to speak of. Such as with Uranus, a collision happened between objects similar to Earth and Moon, and the Earth-mass object was basically vaporized. Uranus was tilted. No moons from that, you can't fragment a chunk of air. So the Earth-Moon system isn't a good reference point. The average in the Solar system is 1:10 000 moon mass to planet mass. Meaning a 10-100 lunar mass moon would most likely have a parent planet of 100 000-1 000 000 lunar masses or between 4 and 40 Jupiter masses. That's more like a brown dwarf than a planet. 

Edited by Findthepin1

11 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

The Moon formed in a collision between Earth and Theia. Rock hitting rock and knocking off pieces. With gas giants, you can't do that. Rock hitting gas gives you a different rotation of gas and no rock to speak of. Such as with Uranus, a collision happened between objects similar to Earth and Moon, and the Earth-mass object was basically vaporized. Uranus was tilted. No moons from that, you can't fragment a chunk of air. So the Earth-Moon system isn't a good reference point. The average in the Solar system is 1:10 000 moon mass to planet mass. Meaning a 10-100 lunar mass moon would most likely have a parent planet of 100 000-1 000 000 lunar masses or between 4 and 40 Jupiter masses. That's more like a brown dwarf than a planet. 

K2-18 b is more of a dwarf Gas giant at worst, or a rocky Superearth with a thick atmosphere at best, since it has a mass a bit less than the Ice giants, and a radii of 2.5 Earths, so it could be somewhat possible for something like that to happen. Also, I wasn't suggesting that K2-18 b got a (Possible) moon from a Earth/Theia like collision, I was looking at the size difference between the Earth and Moon, and wondering if K2-18 b could get something like that.

1 hour ago, Findthepin1 said:

40 Mj is well within the bounds of a gas giant. The Moon is indeed unusual in the sense that it's more than 1% as massive as its parent body. There's another moon like that in the solar system I believe but its name escapes me right now.

Edited by More Boosters

• 2 weeks later...

Even if we know the orbit, distance and star type, is kinda pointless to speculate on habitability when we still lack the data about their atmosphere and the % of water in that atmosphere.

A planet at jupiter or uranus distance may be great for humans if it has a deep atmosphere with high % on greenhouse gases.
The same for a planet that is close to the star, but it reflects mostly all the heat before is trapped in the lower levels of the atmosphere. 

Tidal lock planets may allow also habitability no matter their distance to the star, because they may have a zone when the temperature will match our requirements.

So, all that comparison that scientist do about exoplanets and what might be more habitable just focusing in their orbits, is a waste of intellect. 

On 12/30/2015 at 7:00 PM, AngelLestat said:

Even if we know the orbit, distance and star type, is kinda pointless to speculate on habitability when we still lack the data about their atmosphere and the % of water in that atmosphere.

A planet at jupiter or uranus distance may be great for humans if it has a deep atmosphere with high % on greenhouse gases.
The same for a planet that is close to the star, but it reflects mostly all the heat before is trapped in the lower levels of the atmosphere. 

Tidal lock planets may allow also habitability no matter their distance to the star, because they may have a zone when the temperature will match our requirements.

So, all that comparison that scientist do about exoplanets and what might be more habitable just focusing in their orbits, is a waste of intellect. 

No, but the current estimates give us a good idea what planets are more likely to be habitable than others.

I would bet that most of those planets (more massive than earth) that are catalogued as in "habitable zone" will be similar to venus in surface temperature.

The atmosphere is the main influence in a planet temperature, not the distance to the star.

Take a look to this table, without greenhouses gases venus would be colder than earth.

ch10image025.gif

Pressure is not a big problem for humans, we can survive without problem pressures from 0.2 bar to 15 bar. We would be able to resist much higher pressures (100 bar) if would not be because the oxygen or nitrogen becomes poison under high pressure, so that gives us a high freedom of choice for atmospheres.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.