Overcoming keyboard failures  

38 members have voted

1. 1. what would you do?

• abort
    • spare keyboard or other input device
    • not a worry, mechjeb/kos has this
    • remotetech computer and mouse
    • other (please explain)

This is just me tossing a random failure into the mix to see what others would do

as for me it would go something like:

why can't I switch into map mode?...

okay jeb, don't turn off the kos module

I'll see you in orbit

now to change the batteries.

fwiw, it's a much more annoying failure while writing code or designing databases, kinda knocks me out of the thought process

My old keyboard was a little finicky and would randomly decide to stop working until the cord was jiggled furiously or it was unplugged and plugged back in.

As you can imagine this led to some white knuckle take offs/landings in KSP lol.

I think your vote needs another option: "Stare wide eyed and pray to Jeb that it starts working again" :confused:

I stopped using wireless keyboard\mouse combo because of this. Invariably when something important needed doing in the virtual world, batteries decided it's the best time to give out last spark of the stored energy. Now i'm happily connected, and only have to worry about one of my dogs going on a gnawing spree :D

There definitely should be no shame in reverting from that, as it definitely qualifies as an out-of-game circumstance. However, I would definitely relish the challenge of getting the keyboard working again while the craft was still launching.  My keyboard is corded, but my mouse is wireless, and I have had an instance in-game of my mouse dying spontaneously(the handy-dandy light that informs you if the batteries are dying is hidden by my hand), and it almost screwed up a docking maneuver. I did get the batteries replaced in time, but that definitely got the adrenaline going.

Stuff like this (and the Kraken) is why I never played genuine hard career mode. I always left at least the quicksave option in there, because if the hardware doesn't fail you the software surely will sooner or later. I don't know how anybody can get through all of the tech tree without the program glitching out on them at least once.

My wireless keyboards batteries tend to expire when a key is held down, so during launch is a common one.

I'm adept at flipping the keyboard, opening the battery compartment, and sticking one corner of the cover between the batteries. Usually this is enough, when they reconnect the keyboard is OK again. But I know I will need new batteries soon...

I think I have quicksave enabled, but quickload disabled. I can still quickload by enabling it in the debug menu, but having it default off stops me hitting F9 without first thinking, was that KSP's mistake or mine?

I also have my entire KSP folder, including my saves, backed up to a cloud service every half hour or so. I've used those backup saves on multiple occasions, whether after a bug in an ironman save, or in a reverts-allowed save just when I forgot to F5.

Upon realising that the rocket's control systems failed, the beurocrats ordered the termination of the mission and the removal of all mentions of the crew from the archives.

just kidding, I would......

IVA

USE THE ÜBER-COOL JOYSTICK THING

THROTTLE TO ZERO

EJECT COMMAND POD

MANUAL PARACHUTE DEPLOYMENT

SURVIVAL 

If the craft was unmanned, then I would have some fun seeing what happen to it.

Since I play with a (mostly docked) gaming laptop, I always have the integrated keyboard and mousepad to work with when the main external ones fail.

I would be tempted though to 'accept' the unplanned control failure and just watch what happens. The mission has now become another test flight, intended to learn how (un)stable the craft is when uncontrolled.

Laptop keyboard and KOS normally has me covered, but Mrs BLUESTREAK has the habit of calmly reaching over my shoulder and mashing the spacebar, usually at the worst possible moment. Teaching her how to play was the worst idea I ever had, she now knows EXACTLY which buttons to press and at what critical moments to do it. (Randomly hitting x and z is another one of her favourites) She then nonchalantly goes back to drinking her tea. I've had to learn how to KOS just to keep one step ahead of her.

NASA never had to put up with this...!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.