Why Do Wings Lose Lift After Landing?

I've had this happen a few times and have also seen it happen to others......

Situation:  Aircraft is perfectly fine to start with and flies somewhere away from KSC (or on another planet).  After flying for a while, it lands safely on the surface with no damage.

Problem:  When it takes off again for another flight, some wing pieces on one side of the fuselage have lost their ability to create lift, while their symmetrical counterparts still produce lift.  This produces a bad rolling tendency in the plane which, at high enough speeds, can be uncontrollable.  The pic below shows an example of lift-less wing sections marked in red.

04-08 No Lift

NOTE:  I've had this happen to planes that I've left on the ground, quit the game, and returned to.  I've also had this happen during a session where I landed, EVA'd a Kerbal, and returned him to the plane, but didn't go back to KSC or quit the game.

So what causes this and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Cargo bay shielding issue, the wing is probably being counted as shielded by the bay. Try using the offset gizmo to move the wings slightly outward from the bay.

Strainge it only happens on 1 side (the mirrored side, not the side I attached actual part to in the SPH).  Why not both?

2 hours ago, fourfa said:

Saw this in a stream somewhere - if you crack the cargo bay open for an instant, and immediately close it, it should revert to normal lift.

Thanks for the tip.

3 hours ago, Vegetal said:

The F12 overlay isn't very trustworthy, so unless you are really having control issues with this, things are probably normal.

But if you are, I think the guys here are right: They get occluded by the bay.

For this purpose, F12 seems to work well enough.  If you've got a "dead" wing that's not giving you any lift, you see no arrow on the F12 overlay.  And the plane rolls to the side of the "dead" wing as you'd expect it to from asymmetric lift.

The above is the 1st time it's happened to me.  I 1st heard of this bug in @Kuzzter's "Duna Ore Bust" story.  Here's where this bug hit him, and you can then read what happened..  I think he tweaked the save file somehow.  Anyway, his ship also had a cargo bay.

This is a strange bug.  I hope it gets fixed in 1.1

I did indeed have this bug as documented in the comic. The ship had wings attached to the cargo bay just like the OPs'. I 'fixed' the problem by quicksaving, and reloading until the problem randomly went away. I also recall seeing that it could be solved by cycling the cargo bay, but I did not verify that in my save, having already landed and decommissioned the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

It's somewhat off-topic to say in this thread, but yet another reason to reconsider the 'stowed' mechanic disabling parts...

That feature is quite important to lifting surfaces inside fairings and bays that would otherwise flip a craft backwards. It would be nice if the detection of what parts are occluded was more precise though.

2 hours ago, pokeman said:

That feature is quite important to lifting surfaces inside fairings and bays that would otherwise flip a craft backwards. It would be nice if the detection of what parts are occluded was more precise though.

Need more FAR-style shape modeling, then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.