[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

2 hours ago, Terwin said:

You should have a R&D button on the toolbar, click that and the last clicked part will show up in the upgrade window.(you may need to add a part to the work area to be able to do research on it, but I do not think it even needs to be part of a vessel, just the last part you drug around on the screen.

That's the problem, once clicked the R&D button a grey window saying "Select the part you want to improve" pops up, the window stays the same no matter how much I click in a part, no matter if it is on a vessel or not and no matter wether i left, right, middle or double click. I guess it's a bug but after reinstalling I still have the same problem :/

Edited by The Nitromancer

1 hour ago, The Nitromancer said:

That's the problem, once clicked the R&D button a grey window saying "Select the part you want to improve" pops up, the window stays the same no matter how much I click in a part, no matter if it is on a vessel or not and no matter wether i left, right, middle or double click. I guess it's a bug but after reinstalling I still have the same problem :/

Not a bug but a conflict. Probably with TweakScale or a fuel switcher mod. This mod isn't compatible so blocks out parts used by those mods, but installing TW applies itself to all parts unless you remove the patches from the TW install. If all parts have an incompatible mod being applied to them, all parts will be ignored.

32 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

Not a bug but a conflict. Probably with TweakScale or a fuel switcher mod. This mod isn't compatible so blocks out parts used by those mods, but installing TW applies itself to all parts unless you remove the patches from the TW install. If all parts have an incompatible mod being applied to them, all parts will be ignored.

I've never installer TweakScale nor any type of fuel switcher, my only mods are: x Science, B9PartSwitch, KerbalEngineer, KerbalKonstructs, KRnD, KSP-AVC, NearFuturePropulsion, PlanetaryBaseInc, TransferWindowPlanner, DeflatableHeatShield.

If any of the above is not compatible with R&D please tell me.

Other forms of help will be gladly accepted :) 

51 minutes ago, The Nitromancer said:

I've never installer TweakScale nor any type of fuel switcher, my only mods are: x Science, B9PartSwitch, KerbalEngineer, KerbalKonstructs, KRnD, KSP-AVC, NearFuturePropulsion, PlanetaryBaseInc, TransferWindowPlanner, DeflatableHeatShield.

If any of the above is not compatible with R&D please tell me.

Other forms of help will be gladly accepted :) 

Yes you have by your own list, B9PartSwitch IS a fuel switcher mod.:P Try removing that and see if the problem persists. Remember to remove the MM cache files also before reloading. There are sometimes ones that can cause weird things but that is the first place to start. :)

1 hour ago, JeffreyCor said:

Yes you have by your own list, B9PartSwitch IS a fuel switcher mod.:P Try removing that and see if the problem persists. Remember to remove the MM cache files also before reloading. There are sometimes ones that can cause weird things but that is the first place to start. :)

B9 unistalled, cache deleted, still not working

You've got something else in there conflicting. You're in the area of having to do the fun filled troubleshooting of removing everything and adding them back in one at a time to see when the problem hits. One time it was even a single cfg file in another mod causing a problem. Oh the joys of troubleshooting. :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Feature request: Parts duplication and automatic patch generation.

Motivation: To allow for in-game workaround for TweakScale, IFS and FSS, mods later termed BlackListedMods (BLM).

Modus Operandi:

1. at At installation run off-game script to disallow BLM from patching existing parts. Also make copy of all parts BLM would attach module to and create .part file copies with changed part name (partname_ProductionFork_partversion, ie. nuclearEnginwe_ProductionFork_123) and some description modification (ie. "This part is production variant of *partname, from R&D branch. Part version *partversion.) to indicate that the part design has been taken from R&D and put into production. This way all parts would have R&D working variants that could be upgraded and forked afterwards.

2. in game, in VAB/SPH add to R&D window option to Fork current R&D part into Production variant. This would create .part file copy with changed base statistics, name and description, also it would generate BLM .patch file for such part and generate BLACKLISTED_PART entry for KRnD. That would also require parts dbase reload or game restart. The part should be already researched and unlocked. Generating production variant could cost money.

3. in game, in VAB/SPH add button (probably to R&D) to update currently loaded ship to the latest production variants of all parts used in the design. So there's no need to redesign ship every time.

4. in game, in VAB/SPH add button (probably in R&D) to purge .parts/.patch partfiles that are obsolete and no longer used in [persistent savefile or any files in save/*savename/Ships folder].

Use:

1. run installation parts production fork script once, load the game, go into vab/sph, pick original part, use "generate production variant" and do ship design with it, in meantime do R&D on needed parts, when happy with parts stats use "generate production variant" on developed part to get better version, save design and game, restart game, go into vab/sph, load ship design, in r&d press "update parts", make necessary design adjustments, save new better more efficient design, launch vehicle or build it via EL.

2. occasionally run "purge obsolete parts" to get rid of old, unused parts.

3. you could also design ships with R&D parts which would always have latest specs at design/launch, but no BML features would be accessible.

Discussion:

Such feature would add use R&D with all its glory of late game use for all of us using TweakScale and IFS while saving tons of manual files edition. As the mod modify only statistics of parts, simple text operations would not hamper the game/designs etc. While the feature is big files shuffling and dynamic text edition that can be done either manually or via scripts, the pain of doing so while not automatically in game is enormous, esp. for generating needed parts (ad.2), updating designs (ad.3) and obsolete parts purging (ad.4).  During design user can easily see which parts are used and can be developed, while off-game this requires tons of manual labor :( Also to make it existing savegame compatible I would suggest separate script (used once off game) to make copies of currently used parts. 

Note:

Idea thanks to Module Manager entries of Jahulath and DaniDE:

@PART[*]:HAS[MODULE[Tweakscale]]:NEEDS[!TweakScale]:BEFORE[KRnd]
{
  !MODULE[Tweakscale]
}

@PART[FuelTank]:BEFORE[KRnD]:AFTER[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch,KRnD]
{
    !MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]{}
}

PS. if you find this feature request useful and encoded, please make KSP 1.2.2 compilation, pretty please

Edited by silvan78

@-MM- , I think Kerbal R&D conflicts with RealPlume. With both installed, I can't improve any of the engines, the window says "select a different part to improve". Is this something you can fix, or should I report to RealPlume maintainer?

On 10.10.2017 at 1:03 AM, aluc24 said:

@-MM- , I think Kerbal R&D conflicts with RealPlume. With both installed, I can't improve any of the engines, the window says "select a different part to improve". Is this something you can fix, or should I report to RealPlume maintainer?

Works fine for me with both installed. Most likely culprits are things like B9 Partswitch, tweakscale or Interstellar Fuelswitch.

14 hours ago, DaniDE said:

Works fine for me with both installed. Most likely culprits are things like B9 Partswitch, tweakscale or Interstellar Fuelswitch.

I think you are correct. I removed Tweakscale, and now Kerbal Research works. But Tweakscale is also a must in my gameplay. Is there no way to make these two addons work together?

3 hours ago, aluc24 said:

I think you are correct. I removed Tweakscale, and now Kerbal Research works. But Tweakscale is also a must in my gameplay. Is there no way to make these two addons work together?

One possibility: only use KRND for parts that you probably wouldn't tweakscale normally (like command pods or engines) - scaled engines tend to get a little funky, so my compromise was a patch to remove tweakscale from all engines and keep RND on engines (but not on fuel tanks, for instance). Seems to work OK for me.

4 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

One possibility: only use KRND for parts that you probably wouldn't tweakscale normally (like command pods or engines) - scaled engines tend to get a little funky, so my compromise was a patch to remove tweakscale from all engines and keep RND on engines (but not on fuel tanks, for instance). Seems to work OK for me.

How would I do that? Besides, isn't it possible to make these addons compatible?

19 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

How would I do that? Besides, isn't it possible to make these addons compatible?

Under TweakScale\patches remove ones you don't want TS to apply itself to. My default TS sticks its nose into everything. removing some or all of these patch files will have TS only be applied to parts for a mod with dependency or that you selectively leave in. No, it is not possible to make the addons compatible due to the way TS (for b9/ IFS, etc) works.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Um, I've been trying this mod and been getting issues, as above, but while I'm removing anything such as Tweak scale I was worried about a few others. For example, cryogenic fuels and configurable containers, and things like MKS. Are they compatible with this or do the resource switches mess with the R&D set up as well? The first time I tried this module manager threw up quite a few errors, but this is also the first time I've been trying 6.4K in Sigma Dimensions and a few others, so that may not be regarding R&D. I just want to know how much I need to prune my mod list to get this to work.

TweakScale does not have to be applied to everything as it does by default. remove the patches that come with it and only mods that 'require' it will be effected.

I always hated switching tank capacities so made dedicated takes so remove that nonsense. If you don't want to do that then tanks are changeable will not be able to be improved with this. It all depends on your preferences.

I don't use MKS myself, but any items that must be changed for MKS have their configs in that mod. That would allow fuel containers to be up-gradable, while material containers that use changeable configurations won't be.

MKS does both, having dedicated tanks for some things (such as life support, mostly a separate mod) but also generalizing things for most tanks. As far as CKAN is concerned configurable tanks is a prerequisite for installation so I was aware that work would have to be done after installation, but re-arranging all the tanks and containers in  MKS... that would be a serious challenge! Given the various resources neccessary for the whole purpose of the mod, to make creating a self-sustaining colony an actual challenge, it does need a whole shindig full of different types. I'll have to think about that as I doubt it would quite as simple as just copying tanks, as some are internal to some complex parts that wouldn't easily be duplicatable without messing up the basis of the mod. It does have a resource sharing capability with some of the more advanced modules so perhaps it could all be separated out into a few cores modules and many tanks, but it certainly would be tricky.

I think it was my 1.2 game that was MKS + R&D, and while it is possible I had to delete a config file at some point, I do not recall any substantial changes being needed for them to work well together.

(obviously R&D could not improve the switchable containers and such, but it worked fine on engines, SRBs, fuel tanks, and the stock ISRU)

I remember having self-sustaining colonies(bases with > 10 kolonists on board) on Moho, Duna, Minmus, and the Mun before I upgraded to 1.3 and started a new game.

(I also used the Nuclear light-bulb engine, so between that and ISRU being upgraded, a full tank of ore gave ma a large amount of dv, even let me return from Lathe and Tylo for the first time)

I would recommend against trying to mix tweakscale and R&D however, as that was much more of a head-ache(until I gave up and uninstalled tweakscale)