[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

I liked the idea about crash tolerance upgrades for parts.  Landing legs do look to be the obvious choice.  But really any increase in structure (crash tolerance) would also have an increase in dry mass.  So that could be the catch.  If you want to add a few extra m/s tolerance to a tank or engine or anything (beyond legs) then you should also have to take a hit to the object's mass.

This way it is a little more balanced.  Then people will have to pay to bring the mass back down and balance out their rockets.

Second, if this were put in, then it may also be a good thought to add the crash tolerance as a tweakable.  That way the player can tweak the tolerance and mass increase.  So if I do not need the tank to be crash resistant, I can leave it off and save weight.  But if I need it to survive an impact, well I can put it on and need to plan ahead.

Edited by SyberSmoke

I only use 4 mods, have always strictly said id only get ones that displayed information and trajectories, but this mod is very, very enticing. I've thought about this before and thought it would make an excellent stock addition. Ill probably check this out when 1.1 comes out, and hope the devs take a good look at this:D

Ran into a problem. Upgraded some mods (USI Kolonization, Pathfinder, and added the Surface Experiment Pack) and KRnD failed to continue working. I would go to click on a part to upgrade and get a blank grey window.
Log is spammed with:

"[Error]: [KRnD] updatePart(): System.Exception: no origional-stats for part 'launchClamp1'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (.Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 "

It is all different parts from stock parts and several mods. it appears if I remove the USI folder it fixes the problem.

Could you link to modulemanager somewhere other than github in the original post? I spent over half an hour trying to figure out which modulemanager file to download from there and what I was doing wrong before just doing a google search instead and getting the dll in just a few moments from its forum thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-105-module-manager-2618-january-17th-with-even-more-sha-and-less-bug/

Very neat mod. That always bugged me about science too; just when you get great science generation going, the tech tree is complete.

Fantastic mod! It really should be in KSP by default =)

As was expected, it crashes the game when used with one of my other favorite mods: Procedural Fairings. Is there any workaround or chance this can be fixed?

It shows up immediately in the stock toolbar from the start when you are in the VAB or SPH. It sounds like it didn't get installed correctly since you're not seeing it, or there is an unknown conflict with another mod you are using.

6 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

It shows up immediately in the stock toolbar from the start when you are in the VAB or SPH. It sounds like it didn't get installed correctly since you're not seeing it, or there is an unknown conflict with another mod you are using.

I'm using Mechjeb, USI Life Support, Kerbal Alarm Clock and Kerbal Construction Time (and ModuleManager). And I'm not sure if I installed correctly, since the files weren't bundled in a .zip or .rar folder. I just downloaded everything from the GitHub link (except for the contents of the "source" folder) and placed all of it in my GameData folder.

Edited by Parkaboy

I'm using the same ones, so doesn't sound like a conflict. it does sound like an install problem and another reason this should be on KerbalStuff (hint hint ;) )

In your GameData folder, you should have the folder KRnD within that you should have the files:
KRnD.dll
parts.cfg
R&D_icon.truecolor

Moving the files around or recopying them to match should get you up and running. :)

5 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

In your GameData folder, you should have the folder KRnD within that you should have the files:
KRnD.dll
parts.cfg
R&D_icon.truecolor

Yes, that's what I did originally, and I still don't see a sign of the mod in the game... :(

Try deleting the folder, also deleting the MM cache files, redownloading and copying that folder to GameData and see if it comes up. Something is definitely not doing what it is supposed to for you.

EDIT: Hang on, it just hit me you said " the files weren't bundled in a .zip or .rar folder." They ARE in a zip. Click the GitHub link and on the right side there is a button "Download ZIP" after downloading that (KRnD-master.zip) go into GameData in the Zip and copy KRnD to your GameData folder.

Edited by JeffreyCor

1 hour ago, JeffreyCor said:

Hang on, it just hit me you said " the files weren't bundled in a .zip or .rar folder." They ARE in a zip. Click the GitHub link and on the right side there is a button "Download ZIP" after downloading that (KRnD-master.zip) go into GameData in the Zip and copy KRnD to your GameData folder.

Just tried this, and for some reason, it worked! And that's why I need glasses - I totally missed the "download ZIP" button. Thanks for the support!

11 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Just tried this, and for some reason, it worked! And that's why I need glasses - I totally missed the "download ZIP" button. Thanks for the support!

My pleasure I'm glad it's working for you now. :) This mod really adds a lot of depth and strategy to parts and tech. It's quickly earned a place on my must have list and I'm excited to see what the author has in mind for future improvements :) 

I have a problem with getting the UI to work.

When in the VAB, the R&D button appears as expected. When I press it a grey box appears, asking me to select a part. But selecting a part does nothing. Left clicking moves the part around like normal, and right clicking just opens the auxiliary menu. I there a specific way I have to select a part for improvement?

I've redownloaded the .zip from the link provided just to be sure. I've tried to place the ModuleManager-master folder in the gamedata folder like with any other mod, but apart from ksp loading a little bit slower, nothing's changed.

KRnD is the folder that goes under GameData. ModuleManager.2.6.18.dll is the file that goes in GameData.

The link for MM on the main post here is also to the wrong location. It going to the source no the compiled dll. You can get the correct download link on the MM threat at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-105-module-manager-2618-january-17th-with-even-more-sha-and-less-bug/

Heh, it's funny.  Not that long ago I was thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a mod that did..."  basically exactly what you're doing here.  I quickly gave up on the notion because I've never made a mod before and I don't know what's involved nor how difficult it might be to implement.  I'm quite glad you took the effort though and are making something out of it.  I wish you the best of luck!