[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

lol good timing! I actually just sent a PM to a mod author I test for to see if he might pick it up if -MM- doesn't return when 1.1 rolls around. Heck, better to have more options to keep this going so it's sure not to die. :)
It does seem to work very well, needing only a few refinements are needed such as the issue with the VAB/SPH/Tech Tree display with regards to multimode engines.

Just figured out that KRnD stops working when I have Cryogenic Engines installed (KSP 1.0.5). I still have the button in the VAB, but selecting a part doesn't do anything (the KRnD window stays empty).

Deleting CryoEngines and CryoTanks solves the issue. 

@-MM-: I guess there's not much point in trying to fix this before the 1.1 release (if at all possible), but it might make sense to put a warning into the OP, in case others experience this problem as well?

@Nertea: Maybe also mention this in your thread? 

Cheers,

Zoid

Haven't read the whole thread, so if it has been asked, just feed me to the Kraken.

Is there a chance to be able to upgrade not only landing legs; but things like capsules and crew cabins' crash tolerance on the horizon?  #pleasedonthitme

Edited by Fr8monkey

Hello everyone. Sorry for the long absence, but I was busy with non-kerbal related business. However I recently got the KSP 1.1 beta and am currently in the process of updating KRnD to run with the new version. So far it looks good, which means the next release will be for 1.1.

I am also trying to fix the most urgent issue which in my eyes is the lack of support for multi mode engines. For additional features I am looking into the maximum temperature of parts, air intake, parachutes and drills (but no promises on what will be in the next update).

As for incompatibilities with other mods: As soon as they have 1.1 compatible versions available I will take a look at Cryo Engines, Tweak Scale, Procedural Fairings and Interstellar Fuel Switch. I don't know if we can get KRnD to work with all those mods, but at least it shouldn't cause any crashes or other problems if you have them installed.

Very good to see you back -MM-!! :D The problem with Cryo Engines I narrows down to changes that it imports to ISRU conversions while trying to help the community in the interim, but for the life of me I have no been able to figure out WHY it is causing this.
If you would like any assistance in testing dev builds I have a separate install specifically for this purpose for another author I work with. I am more than happy to aid you as well as much as I can.

Welcome back, btw,  Procedural Fairings  can cause crashing with KRnD sometimes after you eject the fairings, if the kraken deal too much damages.

Edited by ssd21345

I've just uploaded a new version of KRnD, which now supports the current 1.1 prerelease version of KSP (see first post). Additionally I've fixed / added the following:

• Multi-Mode engines are now working as expected.
  • The ISP of air-breathing engines is now improved by raising the ATM-stats instead of VAC-stats.
  • The strength of parachutes (safe deployment-speed) can now be improved.
  • The internal- and skin-temperature of all parts can now be improved (re-entry with space planes should be easier now).

I've also tested a few other mods which are already compatible with 1.1 and found no issues. If you stumble upon one, please let me know.
Please remember to also upgrade your version of the Module-Manager, which has a new 1.1 compatible release available as well.

4 hours ago, -MM- said:

I've just uploaded a new version of KRnD, which now supports the current 1.1 prerelease version of KSP (see first post). Additionally I've fixed / added the following:

• The ISP of air-breathing engines is now improved by raising the ATM-stats instead of VAC-stats.
  • The internal- and skin-temperature of all parts can now be improved (re-entry with space planes should be easier now).

I've also tested a few other mods which are already compatible with 1.1 and found no issues. If you stumble upon one, please let me know.
Please remember to also upgrade your version of the Module-Manager, which has a new 1.1 compatible release available as well.

You are awesome!

20 hours ago, -MM- said:

oaaah...

later edit. It look like dry mass is not working until you replace parts with new one?

Edited by boborene

I think we need a way to reverse our improved stats.

Is the maximum temperature and parachute strength available for KSP 1.0.5? EDIT: Github suggested that the source code hasn't changed, so probably it's not added.

P.S. Via cheating I made myself super struts that can crash-landing safely even without parachutes (although the parts could overheat during re-entry).

Edited by Anbang11

Reversing improvements doesn't make much sense as improvements only improve and do not diminish performance. It would be like undoing research to use less advanced parts.

Depending on how much work it would involve, having the improvements that are in the 1.1 prerelease version in the 1.0.5 version would be fantastic. Though if more then simply compiling against the older version of KSP it is certainly understandable to focus strictly on the new release as it will be the standard shortly.

On 4.4.2016 at 7:49 AM, boborene said:

later edit. It look like dry mass is not working until you replace parts with new one?

I see, must be a new problem with the 1.1 version. As far as I can remember the mass was updated correctly in the editor before. I'll take a look at this.
Maybe I'll even create a real "release" on GitHub as Tangle suggested ;-)

13 hours ago, Anbang11 said:

Is the maximum temperature and parachute strength available for KSP 1.0.5? EDIT: Github suggested that the source code hasn't changed, so probably it's not added.

It's only available in 1.1, sorry. Hopefully it will be released soon.

I think that I've solved the issue with the wrong dry-mass being displayed in KSP 1.1.

In this new release, which you can find in the first post of this thread (or here), I've also expanded the dry-mass upgrades to also include the area-mass of fairings. It should work with all fairings, as long as they use the module "procedural fairings".

Edited by -MM-

This mod is great! Marvelous and ... insane :D. So many thanks for that.

Collected 70.000 science points.

Now i try in a special savegame reduce and minimize all my sub assemblies and rockets.

Edit: all that without cfg edit, deleting mdolue manager temp files.

Its magic how its done with that mod.

Edited by Jansn67

On 4/8/2016 at 0:28 AM, -MM- said:

I think that I've solved the issue with the wrong dry-mass being displayed in KSP 1.1.

In this new release, which you can find in the first post of this thread (or here), I've also expanded the dry-mass upgrades to also include the area-mass of fairings. It should work with all fairings, as long as they use the module "procedural fairings".

Thank you for your effort. You are amazing. Now, testing time.

I also have the problem that drymass isn't affected, the only change I ever saw was when I reduced weight of the space x lander legs by 1kilogram so it could have been a fluke of engineer redux, everything else seems to work perfectly, beside increasing energy rates for solar panels and generators.

-- edit --

so when I delete and repick the item from the list it will get it's dry mass reduction, subassemblies are unaffected and need to be completely reassembled to take effect and some objects are hard to replace on a ship tho now that I know this I will go about using the mod differently minimizing the problems from that (different design strategies and better planned improvements of parts ^^)

Edited by lude

On 11.4.2016 at 5:08 PM, lude said:

I also have the problem that drymass isn't affected, the only change I ever saw was when I reduced weight of the space x lander legs by 1kilogram so it could have been a fluke of engineer redux, everything else seems to work perfectly, beside increasing energy rates for solar panels and generators.

Hello lude,
you are right, there seems to be an issue with the solar panels in 1.1, I'll look into it. However could you check again that you are using the current version of KRnD (1.6)? In my installation the kerbal engineer redux is updated correctly when I upgrade the dry mass of a part.