[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

I've just uploaded a new version (1.7) of KRnD for KSP 1.1, you can find the download link on the first page of this thread. In this new update I've fixed the issue with the solar panels which was introduced with 1.1. Additionally I've added the option to improve the fuel pressure (capacity) of fuel tanks. The way it works is that not all resource-tanks can be improved, just tanks for resources used by engines. So if you have a mod that is adding liquid helium engines for example, you will be able to improve helium tanks, but not ore or uranium containers. Additionally the the science cost for the tank-upgrades scales with the size of the tank, enjoy...

Regarding the points made by MisterFister about changing the tank setup, I believe this should not be the scope of this mod. There are other mods out there, like Interstellar Fuel Switch, which are already addressing this idea. And on the topic of fuel switching, JeffreyCor asked if the fuel switch mod was compatible with KRnD. As far as I have seen, Interstellar Fuel Switch uses a base mass for its parts and an variable component depending on which tank setup you choose. This fixed portion will get improved by KRnD, not the variable portion. However in my experience interstellar fuel switched tanks were always heavier than vanilla tanks, so I've never used them. Additionally the new fuel capacity feature will not be compatible (if you have a fuel switch, don't use it).

As for the ideas brought forward for downgrading parts: The way I see it, all improvements are only positive, so if someone accidentally upgraded the wrong stat, he should simply load a savegame. The new fuel capacity upgrades don't increase the mass, so if you have a tank that held 400 fuel and now holds 420, you can just use the 420 tank and fill it with only 400 fuel units. Theoretically speaking however what I could imagine is choosing which version of a part you want to build, which is exactly how the parts work on already launched ships (parts of new vessels are automatically set to the latest version on the launchpad at the moment). While I agree that in reality it is possible and sometimes useful to build an earlier iteration of a machine, instead of the latest model, I don't see any gameplay benefits.

7 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Has anyone else had a chance to test this with use on takes that use Interstellar Fuel Switcher to see if/how the dry mass and heat changes work with tanks that use that mod?

Yeah I just tested quite a few different types of switches and found out exactly what -MM- just posted about.  Any tank that has a fuel switch on it of any kind is going to...well...act weird at best and not at all at worst.  This will hold true for IFS, B9Switched or MFT altered tanks.  There's not really going to be any sort of easy fix that I can think of either as what -MM- mentioned, the values under the tank switchers are static, not variable.

Would simply not upgrading fuel tanks or removing fuel-tank related lines from the parts.cfg solve the problem of odd behavior with tank switching parts? Or is there something deeper going on that affects fuel-switching parts even if they are never upgraded?

And is it only the fuel capacity upgrades that are affected while dry mass correctly changes MFT's basemass or what have you?

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

For my I'm editing the tank cfg files to make all tanks standard and dumping any MM files that change them. KR&D is far higher on my list of important mods than one that magically changes what a tank holds :)

41 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Would simply not upgrading fuel tanks or removing fuel-tank related lines from the parts.cfg solve the problem of odd behavior with tank switching parts? Or is there something deeper going on that affects fuel-switching parts even if they are never upgraded?

And is it only the fuel capacity upgrades that are affected while dry mass correctly changes MFT's basemass or what have you?

All kinds of things can happen depending on which switcher actually altered the tank and the cfg/MM code used to implement the switch.  The more complex the switch, the stranger and crazier the behavior. Near Future's implemented B9PartSwitch is a perfect example of this issue. Being both highly complicated and extremely hard coded on numerous values any affected tanks are thoroughly discombobulated

As to the other question - it only happens if you choose to upgrade a switchable tank. So long as you choose not to upgrade a tank KRnD can be used side by side with any tank switcher. Furthermore, if a tank is not affected by a switcher (happens frequently on many cfgs for monoprop tanks) those can be upgraded by KRnD with no issue that I've seen.  One caveat here is related to multi-function parts.  In some cases parts may have tanks built into them along with other functionality.  The above applies equally to these parts also.  If it has been affected by a tank switcher, it cannot be upgraded with KRnD without weirdness galore but if has not, it doesn't seem to have a problem that I've uncovered as of yet.

Will keep watching and report back if I see any other weirdness as I'm now running 190+ mods and have a wide breadth of potential problems available to see... :D

Edited by rasta013
Because I can be an idiot after midnight...

1 minute ago, rasta013 said:

All kinds of things can happen depending on which switcher actually altered the tank and the MM code used to implement the switch.  The more complex the switch, the stranger and crazier the behavior. Near Future's implemented B9PartSwitch is a perfect example of this issue. Being both highly complicated and extremely hard coded on numerous values any affected tanks are thoroughly discombobulated

As to the other question - it only happens if you choose to upgrade a switchable tank. So long as you choose not to upgrade a tank KRnD can be used side by side with any tank switcher. Furthermore, if a tank is not affected by a switcher (happens frequently on many cfgs for monoprop tanks) those can be upgraded by KRnD with no issue that I've seen.  One caveat here is related to multi-function parts.  In some cases parts may have tanks built into them along with other functionality.  The above applies equally to these parts also.  If it has been affected by a tank switcher, it cannot be upgraded with KRnD without weirdness galore but if has not, it doesn't seem to have a problem that I've uncovered as of yet.

Will keep watching and report back if I see any other weirdness as I'm now running 190+ mods and have a wide breadth of potential problems available to see... :D

Thanks very much, that was very helpful and I'm glad I can use the mod at least in a (very slightly) limited fashion! Upgrades to engines and such are such a neat feature it would be a shame to play without.

not sure if this as been posted here yet but i get some funky issues when anything that is tweakable is used with this mod it usually crashes to desktop at launch of the vessel mods ive tested on

tweakscale
procedural parts - fairings and anything that as a changable mesh
ksp interstellar extended

this is with 1.1.1

i did have issues with some of the mods mentioned above with 1.1 but not to the scale they are with 1.1.1

i will say this this mod is pretty sweet if not a little op for example 1 tordial aerospike  engine tuned fully for asl a fuel tank tuned to fuel flow is enough to take of from eve and return to kerbin with just a small 2 ton upper stage

i would suggest half the amount of upgrades or the values the upgrades give you or increase the science cost significantly

edit seems to be working fine with tweakscale in that its not crashing to desktop anymore just deosnt scale correctly if at all now

if u want me to upload the crash files in regards to pf let me know and ill pm u a link

Edited by tillyd

So when you say incompatible with Tweakscale & Fuelswitchers, does that mean any part that has those modules can't be researched?

Because currently I'm getting a lot (and by that I mean 100%) "choose a different item" and I have both of those mods. I've even tried researching parts that I'm pretty darn sure don't have either of those modules installed in them (Pods for instance, which I've removed tweakscale from). Neither stock parts nor modded parts work. Didn't work for me in 1.0.5, or 1.1.1 or 1.1.2.

No errors in the log when I try it, so it seems to be working as intended.

Thoughts?

---edit----

Okay, I got it working by removing a bunch of stuff from my install. It seems it plays fine with tweakscale and fuelswitchers. Not sure what it was. Might be the string of the latest patches and needing to update some things. The one mod I removed that I remember reading it had issues with was Cryo Engines (although I still have it's Cryo Tanks submod/plugin installed, with no issues). That mod has undergone a lot of changes recently, but maybe it still doesn't play nice with your's. I'll add it back in and see.

Edited by Deimos Rast

noticed something odd, takes upgrade everything as expected but dry mass doesn't take the upgrades. I only noticed this happening since 1.1.2 so may be connected. All other parts seem to upgrade property for dry mass and all other areas of upgrade for tanks seem to work fine.

Typo, supposed to be regarding TANKS having a dry mass upgrade issue. not takes :P

Edited by JeffreyCor

16 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

noticed something odd, takes upgrade everything as expected but dry mass doesn't take the upgrades. I only noticed this happening since 1.1.2 so may be connected. All other parts seem to upgrade property for dry mass and all other areas of upgrade for tanks seem to work fine.

@-MM- probably just needs to re-compile for 1.1.2.

So while looking at another issue in my log, I noticed some NRE's from KRnD. I'm guessing it's 1.1.2 related, as it seems to have done a ripe number on everything. For the record, some of these parts I have still, some I've since removed. A commonality is that they all have landing gear/strut of some type though (including the MechJeb Pod). Log here (sorry, it's a train wreck:blush:). Linux 64 bit, a number of mods.

Cheers.

I should mention I'm on 1.1.2 and this mod is technically rated for 1.1...so, yeah.

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(Mechanical Jeb - Pod version 2.0): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KRnD.KRnD.updateGlobalParts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(LT-POD Landing Assembly): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(Cruiser Landing Gear): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(Cruiser Landing Gear Mk2): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(Radial Micro Leg): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(Ventral Micro Leg): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(SpaceY 5m Rigid Recovery Landing System): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KRnD] updateGlobalParts(Radial Lander Leg): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Edited by Deimos Rast

On 30/04/2016 at 9:23 PM, DaniDE said:

tillyd - please read the first post of this thread :D

some dude saying good effort, im sorry if u have the time to sit and read every post in the thread but frankly i dont .. so if i encounter an error im not goign to read everything on the off chance a solution is presented im posting my issue and moving on times money but with people like yourself happy to leave very helpful comments like the above im sure my issues will resolve

1 hour ago, tillyd said:

im sorry if u have the time to sit and read every post in the thread but frankly i dont

This forum has a search function, in case you hadn't noticed.

1 hour ago, tillyd said:

im posting my issue and moving on

Drive-by bug reports are, in general, very likely to be ignored.

1 hour ago, tillyd said:

im posting my issue and moving on times money

So the mod authors time isn't money? Time wasted answering the same questions repeatedly is time not spent on development. Posts directing you to already-answered questions are made for the express purpose of saving time.

If you had taken the 5 seconds it took me to read that single post as suggested, you would have found this:

On 19/12/2015 at 7:18 AM, -MM- said:

Please note that this mod is not 100% compatible with other mods which modify parts at runtime (eg TweakScale or InterstellarFuelSwitch).

Ordinarily this would be none of my business, but TBH your post strikes me as being exceptionally rude to someone who was simply directing you to the relevant information.

Do have to agree with you in this case Steve. While I'm generally opposed to a response saying to look somewhere else in the thread, in this case it was literally the very first post on page 1. It was probably harder to find the download link than it was the notice on the OP.

Hey!

I've encountered a problem with KRnD in v1.1.2. Somehow the ui is broken and I can't improve my parts anymore. Parts that were altered in 1.1(.1) still work.
KRnD worked flawless in 1.1 and 1.1.1.

Anyone else with this problem?

You're having a mod conflict with something else you installed or updated. KRnD works properly in 1.1.2. Do you have CryoTanks folder from Cryogenic Engines installed without removing the file CryoTanksISRU.cfg? This tends to be the primary cause of the problem you are reporting.

2 hours ago, Stage said:

Hey!

I've encountered a problem with KRnD in v1.1.2. Somehow the ui is broken and I can't improve my parts anymore. Parts that were altered in 1.1(.1) still work.
KRnD worked flawless in 1.1 and 1.1.1.

Anyone else with this problem?

Well, I have some log spamming with errors from KRnD. So I have uninstalled KRnD untill a fully stable on get's available....

I have had mayer stability issues since 1.1.2, and I can't say for sure that KRnD has any blame, but I've removed some mod's, incl. this one, and my game is much better now... But not perfect by any means. I actually am unaware if the UI was broken, since I  have not actually used it actively in 1.1.2 before removing it.

KRnD actually is stable. I also had problems overall in 1.1.2 crashing until doing a full uninstall and reinstall of KSP. It seems the updater is imperfect and leaves old code during the update process causing headaches for many people. Restarting the game is not required in doing so, as long as you remember to copy your save folder to a different location before fully removing the game. After reinstalling known good content, including save(s) can be copied back and continued. Went from 2 crashes in less than an hour to none over 3 hours.

18 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

KRnD actually is stable. I also had problems overall in 1.1.2 crashing until doing a full uninstall and reinstall of KSP. It seems the updater is imperfect and leaves old code during the update process causing headaches for many people. Restarting the game is not required in doing so, as long as you remember to copy your save folder to a different location before fully removing the game. After reinstalling known good content, including save(s) can be copied back and continued. Went from 2 crashes in less than an hour to none over 3 hours.

Ok... I know I haven't documented or anything, but can you explain all the error messages given by KRnD then? (they are not exceptions, so I guess you catch them or something).

Next.... I've been looking a bit on your mod, because I want to have some tech functionality in my mod, and I find yours to be so great that I'm looking for inspiration right here :cool:

I noticed that you are finding for example the engine by iterating module. You can do this In another way. Look here.

You do this

// Multi-Mode engines have multiple Engine-Modules which we return as a list.
        public static List<ModuleEngines> getEngineModules(Part part)
        {
            List<ModuleEngines> engines = new List<ModuleEngines>();
            foreach (PartModule partModule in part.Modules)
            {
                if (partModule.moduleName == "ModuleEngines" || partModule.moduleName == "ModuleEnginesFX")
                {
                    engines.Add((ModuleEngines)partModule);
                }
            }
            if (engines.Count > 0) return engines;
            return null;
        }

Which I'm sure does the trick.

While researching for my mod, I found this way of finding modules

ModuleEngines = part.FindModulesImplementing<ModuleEngines>();

This simply returns all partmodule which uses ModuleEngines, incl. the one that inherit from it, i.e. ModuleEnginesFX - cool right :D

Well I just wanted to let you know. It's up to your to decide to use it or not :)

Many mods cause things to show up in the log that are actually meaningless as I have learned from being lead test on other mods. Log error doesn't mean there is an actual problem. Unless there is a problem in game, there is no reason to be concerned about them. :) I think you're probably seeing things such as "updateGlobalParts(Radial Lander Leg): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at KRnD.KRnD.updateGlobalParts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0", or if you're using a fuel tank modifier such a Interstellar Fuel Switcher, B9's one, etc or on tweakscale parts these are just exhibiting the known compatibility issues between them and not a real "error" as to the stability or functionality of the mod otherwise.The real headache is when there is a problem but no error in the log. :0.0:

I have an idea you may be using one of those other mods as I just checked my own log and apart from the example given (and the one KSP even says "this message is harmless") it's the only errors relating to KRnD showing up.

Not my mod! I just try to help out as I can for this to help the community using it and take some of that load off -MM- :) This is ALL -MM-'s work, he's the talent and skill behind this :)

6 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

The real headache is when there is a problem but no error in the log.

Well, seems like I've got an error that does not generate a log entry.
I did a complete reinstall of KSP and most other errors are now gone, but the GUI problem with KRnD still persists. Previuos updated parts still work, but either the plugin does not recognise when I'm clicking on a part, or the UI is somehow broken :(

Do you have Cryogenic Engines installed? If so, did you delete CryoTanksISRU.cfg under CryoTanks? This have been the only thing I have found that causes the problem you're experiencing and removing the file circumvents the problem. And as you can imagine, it took a lot to figure that bit of weirdness out :P

Edited by JeffreyCor