[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

The "no original-stats for part 'kerbalEVA'"-Exception shouldn't break anything, it is probably thrown when KRnD tries to update a Kerbal on EVA, because the part that simulates him (or her) is no longer included in KSPs global part-list "PartLoader.LoadedPartsList". KRnD should simply do nothing in this case. I have however implemented a new, configurable part-blacklist, which excludes the boy- and girl-parts for EVAs. Until there is a proper release you can download the latest build from Github: https://github.com/mmoench/KRnD

In case this fixes your issues, please let me know and I will create a proper Release for this minor change.

@Nils277 @-MM- - I have to clarify my posting a bit. I did not have an EVA problem, I also do not personally use TAC LS, I originally started an existing save after updating a few mods and got spammed by exceptions when I entered the VAB. Every single part I had installed was listed with the before mentioned error message and KRnD could not be applied to *anything* anymore. Then I made a copy of stock KSP, using only stock Squad folder, Modulemanager 1.7.4 and KRnD and tested mod after mod in the order of the last updated ones (obviously also always deleting mm cache and parts database and then starting a new career game for testing) until I found the one that caused the exceptions in conjunction with KRnD. So the only mods installed before I verified and posted the error here where KRnD and modulemanager 1.7.4 and Planetary Base Systems(+CCK). I will test the new version now on my test copy and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by DaniDE

@Nils277, good news, on the stock copy with the modified KRnD and KPBS only, the exceptions are gone and KRnD works normally now. @-MM- on my regular copy with *all* the mods I keep getting a broken KRnD, so I guess I need to keep digging what else is conflicting.

Spoiler

excerpt from the log:

[ERR 07:11:13.883] [KRnD] updatePart(KKAOSS.container.SEP): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'KKAOSS.container.SEP'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (.Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 07:11:13.885] [KRnD] updatePart(scannerProbe): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'scannerProbe'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (.Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 07:11:13.888] [KRnD] updatePart(SCANsat.Scanner32): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'SCANsat.Scanner32'

[ERR 07:11:13.890] [KRnD] updatePart(SCANsat.Tracker): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'SCANsat.Tracker'

[ERR 07:11:13.892] [KRnD] updatePart(SCANsat.Scanner24): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'SCANsat.Scanner24'

[ERR 07:11:13.894] [KRnD] updatePart(SCANsat.Scanner): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'SCANsat.Scanner'

[ERR 07:11:13.896] [KRnD] updatePart(SCANsat.Scanner2): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'SCANsat.Scanner2'

[ERR 07:11:13.898] [KRnD] updatePart(kb-fuel-breaker1): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'kb-fuel-breaker1'

[ERR 07:11:13.901] [KRnD] updatePart(kb-fuel-breaker15): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'kb-fuel-breaker15'

[ERR 07:11:13.903] [KRnD] updatePart(kb-fuel-breaker2): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'kb-fuel-breaker2'

[ERR 07:11:13.905] [KRnD] updatePart(kb-fuel-breaker3): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'kb-fuel-breaker3'

[ERR 07:11:13.907] [KRnD] updatePart(FuelController): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'FuelController'

[ERR 07:11:13.909] [KRnD] updatePart(km.smart.alt.low): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.smart.alt.low'

[ERR 07:11:13.911] [KRnD] updatePart(km.smart.fuel): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.smart.fuel'

[ERR 07:11:13.914] [KRnD] updatePart(km.prox.sensor): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.prox.sensor'

[ERR 07:11:13.916] [KRnD] updatePart(km.smart.radio): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.smart.radio'

[ERR 07:11:13.918] [KRnD] updatePart(km.smart.speed): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.smart.speed'

[ERR 07:11:13.920] [KRnD] updatePart(km.smart.time): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.smart.time'

[ERR 07:11:13.922] [KRnD] updatePart(km.valve): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.valve'

[ERR 07:11:13.925] [KRnD] updatePart(km.valve2): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'km.valve2'

Edited by DaniDE

• 3 weeks later...

This is a fantastic idea and it makes you wonder why something like this wasn't implemented in the stock game. A meaningful and repeatable endgame functionality is never a bad thing.

Can't wait to try this one out!

• 3 weeks later...

hey -MM-, first of all, I love your mod. I use it all the time. But I have a question. I've recently installed a new set of mods and it seems that your mod is not working nicely with probes plus. Install both KRnD and Probes plus and almost no parts can be modified by KRnD. I've noticed that probes plus uses some sort of upgrades in the tech-tree and I have a feeling that's responsible, but it doesn't explain why a few parts remain modifieable. 

Anyway, thanks for your nice mod. keep up the good work.

On 28.12.2016 at 9:19 PM, nixeagle said:

Appears to still work in 1.2.2 on casual glance. Maybe update the CKAN definition from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2?

That is a good idea. I haven't really played with 1.2.2, but so far it does seem to work. I've just created an update on github. It should be available through CKAN shortly.

On 29.12.2016 at 6:07 AM, veragodspiel said:

hey -MM-, first of all, I love your mod. I use it all the time. But I have a question. I've recently installed a new set of mods and it seems that your mod is not working nicely with probes plus. Install both KRnD and Probes plus and almost no parts can be modified by KRnD. I've noticed that probes plus uses some sort of upgrades in the tech-tree and I have a feeling that's responsible, but it doesn't explain why a few parts remain modifieable. 

Anyway, thanks for your nice mod. keep up the good work.

Hm, I haven't really tried "probes plus" before but as far as I can see only the parts that this mod upgrades through the tech-tree are affected, right? Sadly that is to be expected, modifications like this usually don't stack.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 1:18 PM, -MM- said:

Please note that this mod is not 100% compatible with other mods which modify parts at runtime (eg TweakScale or InterstellarFuelSwitch).

I'm assembling a modlist for a new career playthrough.  Can someone help me understand what this mod does and what IFS do, so that I might choose between them?  Or, what happens when I attempt to run them alongside one another regardless?

IFS is a dependency for KSPIE and some stockalike expansions I'm eyeing as well... :( 

41 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

I'm assembling a modlist for a new career playthrough.  Can someone help me understand what this mod does and what IFS do, so that I might choose between them?  Or, what happens when I attempt to run them alongside one another regardless?

IFS is a dependency for KSPIE and some stockalike expansions I'm eyeing as well... :( 

KRnD "upgrades" parts in various ways, allowing you to spend extra science points to do the upgrades.  Forex, you can upgrade the mass of an engine (it gets lighter by 10% for every level you upgrade), the ATM and VAC isp, fuel flow (increases thrust at the expense of using more fuel), and something else I can't recall at the moment.  It will also do the same for parachutes, command pods, and pretty much every part available in-game, including those from mods.

IFS allows you to switch between fuel types in tanks.  Wanna fill a big orange-equivalent with monoprop?  This'll let you do it... or something like that.  Want to use a normally LFO tank for carrying Xenon?  I believe it'll let you do that as well.  TBH, I'm not completely sure, as I only have it due to dependencies, and almost never change fuel types in my tanks.

As for running both side-by-side, all I can tell that happens is that IFS-enabled tanks can't be upgraded with KRnD.  Word of warning though - if you install via CKAN, it won't let you install one if you already have the other installed.  You'll need to manually install one of them, which is how I'm running both (CKAN-installed IFS, and manually-installed KRnD).

IIRC, @Martian Emigrant uses KRnD quite a bit, and may be able to expand somewhat on what I've mentioned here.

I've upgraded a part, but when I load another craft that has the same part, the upgrade didn't apply! The dry mass and fuel storage are still the same!

One more thing. Can you make parts downgradable? Either with science refunds or no refunds?

5 minutes ago, Anbang11 said:

I've upgraded a part, but when I load another craft that has the same part, the upgrade didn't apply! The dry mass and fuel storage are still the same!

One more thing. Can you make parts downgradable? Either with science refunds or no refunds?

From the OP:

Specifically, there's a line below the list of upgrades:

The upgrades are tracked separately for each part and vessel, which means any research you do doesn't affect your ships and stations already in orbit.

TBH, I read this as meaning that parts can be upgraded while on the vessel in the VAB/SPH, in which case, the upgrades won't affect the same parts either on ships already built or those in the editor menus.  OTOH, I THINK that if you upgrade a part in the editor menu without actually attaching it to a ship, then it stays upgraded in the menus, and will apply to future ships built with that part.

Maybe @-MM- could clarify...?

MaxxQ is right on target. Upgraded parts will be available as upgraded on any subsequent VAB/SPH builds. Anything already launched, or already building / built using KCT, will not have upgraded parts.

Anbang11, if you are using IFS or anything else that changes anything with the tanks the upgrades will not retain as those mods will override and replace the upgrades provided by KRnD.

Im just wondering why there isn't an option/upgrade to reduce the cost of parts?

Also I'm wondering what people would think about the upgrade percentage increases become multiplicative (instead of additive) past say 10-15 upgrades. This would give diminishing returns on science investment and  Would balance the mod a bit (parts can get a bit ridiculous with the correct farming methods) as well as actually giving you a reason to diversify the parts and modules you upgrade.

Edited by RB101

On 19/12/2015 at 7:18 PM, -MM- said:

Please note that this mod is not 100% compatible with other mods which modify parts at runtime (eg TweakScale or InterstellarFuelSwitch).

@-MM- I've created some partmodule switch (multimode) plugins, like EngineMultiMode, ConverterMultiMode etc. Now at the same time, I'm very happy about you mod, and want to incorporate some compatibility. Now since some of my modules manipulate e.g. the engine at runtime, I would guess your mod would have the same problem as you have with interstellar fuelswitch.

I the an inherent way to let your mod recalculate the improvements after "switching" of modes? Or maybe some way I can tab into you calculation functions and apply the improvements when I do my switching?

• 2 weeks later...

IntakeATM engines not working

Bug report:

KR&D seems to stop a lot of the engines from working that use the resource "IntakeATM".

For example the micro ducted fan from Roverdude's exploration mod. The various large ducted fans from the Mk4 spaceplane mod (in electrical mode). Also some of the engines from Karbonite.

I have not used KR&D to upgrade any of the parts that have stopped working, but KR&D seems to break them all anyway.

I have tried to prove it is this mod responsible as much as I can. -  Removing this mod fixes all engines. Adding it back in breaks them all again.

Edited by Remi

On 13.1.2017 at 7:10 AM, WuphonsReach said:

I always prefer diminishing returns when it comes to upgrades in game design.  So while you could stack 9 gems-of-awesome, you wouldn't get 9x the actual bonus, but only about 3x (and getting to 4x would require 16 gems).

This is actually just a setting in the KRnD mod. You should take a look at the "parts.cfg", it has a settings like "ispVac_improvementScale" which are currently all set to 1. The formula of how much a level improves a given part per improvement-level is:

improvement * improvementScale ^ level

So if you set "improvementScale" to something less than 1, each further level will yield smaller percentages, eg:

Level Scale 1 Scale 0.75
1 5% 5%
2 10% (+5%) 8.75% (+3.75%)
3 15% (+5%) 11.56% (+2.81%)

Now, if you want create some kind of "realism overhaul" of KRnD you would simply have to create your own Module Manager Config, which installs your own KRnD-settings on the parts you want to behave differently (you can even set different settings for different parts / modules). The trick here is that KRnD simply installs the default Config on all parts which are not blacklisted and don't already have KRnD-Settings. You simply have to write your own settings in such a way that they are applied before the default (take a look at Module Manager's "patch order"). Afterwards you could upload your patch to CKAN and like minded players can use it.

On 19.1.2017 at 8:43 PM, Warezcrawler said:

@-MM- I've created some partmodule switch (multimode) plugins, like EngineMultiMode, ConverterMultiMode etc. Now at the same time, I'm very happy about you mod, and want to incorporate some compatibility. Now since some of my modules manipulate e.g. the engine at runtime, I would guess your mod would have the same problem as you have with interstellar fuelswitch.

I the an inherent way to let your mod recalculate the improvements after "switching" of modes? Or maybe some way I can tab into you calculation functions and apply the improvements when I do my switching?

Hm, I guess the easiest way right now would be to have parts that implement multiple EngineModules. KRnD will iterate through all of them and update them accordingly.This way we can currently improve the stock engines which have different modes for atmospheric- and vacuum-flight. The job of the part in this case is to switch the correct module on and off, which gives you the desired behavior.

On 27.1.2017 at 9:40 PM, Remi said:

IntakeATM engines not working

Bug report:

KR&D seems to stop a lot of the engines from working that use the resource "IntakeATM".

For example the micro ducted fan from Roverdude's exploration mod. The various large ducted fans from the Mk4 spaceplane mod (in electrical mode). Also some of the engines from Karbonite.

I have not used KR&D to upgrade any of the parts that have stopped working, but KR&D seems to break them all anyway.

I have tried to prove it is this mod responsible as much as I can. -  Removing this mod fixes all engines. Adding it back in breaks them all again.

Can you try to find out which module on the parts causes this problem? Maybe we can simply add the offending module to the blacklist (see file "blacklist.cfg")?

"Can you try to find out which module on the parts causes this problem? Maybe we can simply add the offending module to the blacklist (see file "blacklist.cfg")?"

I will try to spend some time this evening working out which module is being borked. Thanks for the suggestion.