[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

@Patupi

KRnD (this mod) only struggles with parts that are already modified at runtime.

To put that in perspective, any parts which contain switchable fuels (e.g. Interstellar Fuel Switch, Firespitter switched) are not completely incompatible, but rather you can't use KRnD to modify things like the fuel pressure inside, because KRnD can't access the runtime-generated information that describes what's in the tanks. It can still upgrade other things like the dry mass.

I'm using it just fine with a whole bunch of other mods, including IFS-switched parts (Mk2 expansion) and a whole bunch of USI mods including MKS. You just have to be aware that it can't improve fuel pressure (i.e. fit more fuel in the tanks) with some parts, as the information not accessible to KRnD.

Basically, if you can't improve it because it's not accessible to the mod, KRnD generally won't let you even try to do it anyway (it can't even see the switched tank capacities to upgrade them). 

It works quite happily for improving dry mass of parts (which is rarely changed at runtime), engine ISP/Thrust, and non-USI convertors. USI Resource Converters use their own implementation and can't be improved by this mod (nor should they really, as you'd be into the realm of very 'cheaty' efficiency if you could anyway).

I hope that clarifies a bit.

Ah, I see. I thought I'd need to tweak things so R&D wouldn't attempt to change ones. I'd already thought of the possibility that MKS doesn't do much with engines (except perhaps things like Skycranes etc with both fuel and engines in the same unit). Didn't think the system would automatically cope with that. Good to know.

I'll see what I can get away with :)

Still wondering what all the errors were in the mod load sequence. Probably had other issues as I had installed quite a lot that time. I'll try things one at a time and see what breaks first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

No, as there is no need to. There is no down side to an upgraded part.

There is most certainly a reason. I was testing a bit, saved before cheating in a bunch of science to do so(it takes a cool 30 minutes to go to the title screen and back in the game), then I forgot to revert to the save before and now all my saves have the upgraded part.

26 minutes ago, 3ngin33r said:

There is most certainly a reason. I was testing a bit, saved before cheating in a bunch of science to do so(it takes a cool 30 minutes to go to the title screen and back in the game), then I forgot to revert to the save before and now all my saves have the upgraded part.

It gives only benefits without any penalty, thus there is no reason for reverting to a pre upgraded part the way the mod is implemented. This has been discussed at length in this forum previously.
Upgrades part are applied only per save. It does NOT effect any other save you have. If you encountered  such you have a problem with your game which is not part of the mod.

9 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

It gives only benefits without any penalty, thus there is no reason for reverting to a pre upgraded part the way the mod is implemented. This has been discussed at length in this forum previously.
Upgrades part are applied only per save. It does NOT effect any other save you have. If you encountered  such you have a problem with your game which is not part of the mod.

It does affect all saves you make after upgrading, of course, it does. Rerolling to before upgrading would lose me a lot of progress now. It's not a technical problem, mod works just fine, I just don't want to keep my cheated upgrades. I know there's a way to remove it, I'm 100% certain it's not hard-coded into the game, that's probably impossible without dev tools or a lot of reverse engineering. I just don't know where it's stored and how to remove it. 

You don't seem to understand what a different save it. You seem to be confusing them with quicksaves. Different saves are different "games" and upgrades in one DO NOT effect any other. Bottom line, no there is no way to roll back an upgrade because there is no need to roll back upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, Jaff said:

doesn't seem to work for half the parts in 1.3.1 either.

If you look at the blacklist config in the folder, it will show you which mods it will ignore.

// Parts containing one of these modules (provided by incompatible mods) will be ignored by KRnD:
BLACKLISTED_MODULE = FSfuelSwitch
BLACKLISTED_MODULE = InterstellarFuelSwitch
BLACKLISTED_MODULE = TweakScale
BLACKLISTED_MODULE = ProceduralPart
BLACKLISTED_MODULE = WingProcedural
BLACKLISTED_MODULE = PartSubtypeSwitcherModule
BLACKLISTED_MODULE = WingManipulator

// The following parts will flat out get ignored by KRnD:
BLACKLISTED_PART = kerbalEVA
BLACKLISTED_PART = kerbalEVAfemale

So if you installed something like TweakScale, you wont see many parts to improve since it affect so many parts. 

I've uploaded a new version of KRnD which I have recompiled for KSP 1.4.2 (see first post in this thread). I didn't change any features and as far as I can see it seems to be working as expected.
The only minor annoyance I found was that some engines display the wrong thrust and the note "*** upgrades applied ***" in the menu of the assembly hall. I'm not entirely sure where this comes from but the mod should still work its magic as it did before. If anyone finds any upgrades that have stopped working in this version, please let me know.

I don't know if it's asking a lot or not... Would it be possible to get this mod to be able to upgrade remotetechs antennas with "more range"? So more omni range on the omni antennas, and more range on the single target antennas as well? 

1 hour ago, Crixomix said:

I don't know if it's asking a lot or not... Would it be possible to get this mod to be able to upgrade remotetechs antennas with "more range"? So more omni range on the omni antennas, and more range on the single target antennas as well? 

This was discussed before. -MM- does not want to apply changes to specific mods such as RT but said he would consider the new stock antennas. He has has a lot on his plate so doubt he's had time to look into that even.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:55 AM, -MM- said:

I've uploaded a new version of KRnD which I have recompiled for KSP 1.4.2 (see first post in this thread). I didn't change any features and as far as I can see it seems to be working as expected.
The only minor annoyance I found was that some engines display the wrong thrust and the note "*** upgrades applied ***" in the menu of the assembly hall. I'm not entirely sure where this comes from but the mod should still work its magic as it did before. If anyone finds any upgrades that have stopped working in this version, please let me know.

The *** upgrades applied *** seems to come from the stock upgrade system which squad applied on some of the MH-Expansion engines. (Namely the Kodiak). In my career save for 1.4.2 i found this to be a minor issue because no matter which upgrades get applied by the stock system, KRnD will still only upgrade based on the first tier values. (e.g. the Kodiak gets a significant ISP Boost from the stock 95Science Tier which gets removed after applying a weight reduction in KRnD - to get the same ISP back one would need like 3 or 4 tiers of upgrades in both ISP categories).

@-MM-   Don't know if I've said this before.  THANK YOU for this mod.  I gives a reason to continue to research Science long after the tech tree has fully blossomed.  It's modders like you that keep this game going.  Yes, there are parts mods, and they're nice.  But mods like this, MechJeb2, and a few others are in the special category.

Edited by Apollo13

On 4/9/2018 at 6:03 PM, Amnesy said:

the stock upgrade system which squad applied on some of the MH-Expansion engines. (Namely the Kodiak). In my career save for 1.4.2 i found this to be a minor issue because no matter which upgrades get applied by the stock system, KRnD will still only upgrade based on the first tier values. (e.g. the Kodiak gets a significant ISP Boost from the stock 95Science Tier which gets removed after applying a weight reduction in KRnD - to get the same ISP back one would need like 3 or 4 tiers of upgrades in both ISP categories).

WAIT WAIT WAIT, WHAT??!!!

I know they added some framework for part upgrades a while back, but there are part upgrades in KSP stock?!

I can't find anything in the config files about this, are you sure? What is the 95 science tier???

34 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

WAIT WAIT WAIT, WHAT??!!!

I know they added some framework for part upgrades a while back, but there are part upgrades in KSP stock?!

I can't find anything in the config files about this, are you sure? What is the 95 science tier???

I hereby stand corrected -  I thought the upgrades were applied by squad but as it appears they are a part of the UBM extended mod. The author uses the upgrade framework to place some parts in a weaker form early in the techtree and then created upgrades for them later in the tree. Sorry if i got you excited for nothing :P 

Nonetheless my "bug-report" stands as the stock and the KRnD system dont play nice with each other but I dont know if that's something that can be fixed without extensive coding.

On 4/11/2018 at 6:44 AM, Amnesy said:

I hereby stand corrected -  I thought the upgrades were applied by squad but as it appears they are a part of the UBM extended mod. The author uses the upgrade framework to place some parts in a weaker form early in the techtree and then created upgrades for them later in the tree. Sorry if i got you excited for nothing :P 

Nonetheless my "bug-report" stands as the stock and the KRnD system dont play nice with each other but I dont know if that's something that can be fixed without extensive coding.

I make UBM Extended. I don't use KR&D, what seems to be the issue? V.2.0 of UBM-E had a typo that caused some wonky behavior, but 2.1 should have fixed it.