[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

3 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I make UBM Extended. I don't use KR&D, what seems to be the issue? V.2.0 of UBM-E had a typo that caused some wonky behavior, but 2.1 should have fixed it.

On 9.4.2018 at 6:03 PM, Amnesy said:

In my career save for 1.4.2 i found this to be a minor issue because no matter which upgrades get applied by the stock system, KRnD will still only upgrade based on the first tier values. (e.g. the Kodiak gets a significant ISP Boost from the stock 90Science Tier which gets removed after applying a weight reduction in KRnD - to get the same ISP back one would need like 3 or 4 tiers of upgrades in both ISP categories).

As described in my post above, when upgrading a part with KRnD it loses it's upgrades from your mod with the stock system . The most notable case is the Kodiak where you apply a series of upgrades over the engine tech line to boost it's thrust and ISP.

For me it isn't an issue anymore since I've just stopped upgrading that engine with KRnD but if more more mods start using the stock upgrade system, it could be worth finding a way for the two systems to coexist since KRnD (for me at least) is the best way to tackle an upscaled system without messing with SMURF and consorts.

5 hours ago, Amnesy said:

For me it isn't an issue anymore since I've just stopped upgrading that engine with KRnD but if more more mods start using the stock upgrade system, it could be worth finding a way for the two systems to coexist since KRnD (for me at least) is the best way to tackle an upscaled system without messing with SMURF and consorts.

That's a good point. My next career is probably going to be a 2.5x diameter, 5x orbital distance system. Maybe with non-equatorial KSC and simulated axial tilt as well. KR&D could be quite useful as an alternative to installing gobs of OP part mods.

I can use MM configs to remove the stock upgrades if KR&D is installed, leaving the upgrades to KR&D completely. Do you think that would work?

5 hours ago, theonegalen said:

That's a good point. My next career is probably going to be a 2.5x diameter, 5x orbital distance system. Maybe with non-equatorial KSC and simulated axial tilt as well. KR&D could be quite useful as an alternative to installing gobs of OP part mods.

I can use MM configs to remove the stock upgrades if KR&D is installed, leaving the upgrades to KR&D completely. Do you think that would work?

Yeah I guess that would be the way to go. Or you could flag that MM patch as opional so that the player can decide if he wants the stock upgrades alongside KRnD or not. I think that's what Nertea does e.g with his NF Electrics mod for depleting RTG Power or the optional LF Patches for the nuclear engines. 

21 hours ago, Amnesy said:

Yeah I guess that would be the way to go. Or you could flag that MM patch as opional so that the player can decide if he wants the stock upgrades alongside KRnD or not. I think that's what Nertea does e.g with his NF Electrics mod for depleting RTG Power or the optional LF Patches for the nuclear engines. 

You know what, I just remembered that there's a setting in the difficulty options to enable or disable the stock upgrade system on a per-save basis. I think I'll just leave it as is, and let the end user decide which version they would like to go with depending on their savefile settings.

I think an important principle for simplicity in modding is to allow the stock game to handle everything it can, and not complicate mod configs with additional methods to handle those things.

Edited by theonegalen

This looks really cool and I'm thinking about trying it. a couple of questions:

1. It's stated that it's not 100% compatible with IFS and TweakScale...are they compatible as long as I never apply R&D to fuel tanks or to parts that I TweakScale? for example, I really only TweakScale fuel tanks. If I never R&D fuel tanks will R&D work fine with engines (which I never TweakScale)?
  2. Does the mod somehow track the changes by altering the device name or description? Maybe adding a Block number or some other moniker onto the part type (friendly name)?

Thanks again for the great work :) 

5 minutes ago, Tyko said:

This looks really cool and I'm thinking about trying it. a couple of questions:

1. It's stated that it's not 100% compatible with IFS and TweakScale...are they compatible as long as I never apply R&D to fuel tanks or to parts that I TweakScale? for example, I really only TweakScale fuel tanks. If I never R&D fuel tanks will R&D work fine with engines (which I never TweakScale)?
  2. Does the mod somehow track the changes by altering the device name or description? Maybe adding a Block number or some other moniker onto the part type (friendly name)?

Thanks again for the great work :) 

You can't do upgrades to TS or IFS used parts, so as long as you only have them apply to parts they must you can upgrade anything else. The key is what those mods apply to, not if you do changes using them. To try to explain with examples, if TS is applied to your engines (you have the size option) it will not work, but if you removed the cfg files from TS so TS does not touch your engines (ie no size options) then it will work with them just fine.

No, it doesn't give any name difference. It just makes that part better from that point forward. Parts already in use flying around will not be changed though, only anything built from that point forward. In flight there is a listing of upgrade version, but the name of the part isn't changed.

2 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

You can't do upgrades to TS or IFS used parts, so as long as you only have them apply to parts they must you can upgrade anything else. The key is what those mods apply to, not if you do changes using them. To try to explain with examples, if TS is applied to your engines (you have the size option) it will not work, but if you removed the cfg files from TS so TS does not touch your engines (ie no size options) then it will work with them just fine.

No, it doesn't give any name difference. It just makes that part better from that point forward. Parts already in use flying around will not be changed though, only anything built from that point forward. In flight there is a listing of upgrade version, but the name of the part isn't changed.

Cool! maybe an option like using TweakScale Limited would mesh nicely with KR&D since that already removes the ability to TS engines, capsules and any other "complicated" parts

Just now, theonegalen said:

What do you use now? I am interested.

I remove the entire patches folder from TS. This way TS does not apply to any part other than in mods that use their own TS cfgs like IR or Interstellar. In a perfect world I wouldn't use TS at all, but given the time to edit all parts in IR it got to the point of diminishing value in relation to time that could be spent actually playing instead :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what files do i need to remove if i want for example reinstall the Krnd mod to restart from scratch on a save file wich i have exaggerated with the cheat console and the mod. This is one of the best mod i have on my list its soo powerful.Thanks 

(i know i seen some poeple say that its useless to want to remove upgrades but i may have cheated a bit too much on some parts hehe)

thanks alot

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 7:14 AM, JeffreyCor said:

Using it in 1.4.3, working even with a ton of other mods.

The mod runs in 1.4.3 but i have noticed some problems.

1) Some parts get upgraded even in the ships which are in flight. (the version is not showing but i have seen change in the weight of the ship)

2) Problems with the burn times. Both remote tech flight computer and BBT don't acknowledge the upgraded thrust of engines ( upgraded ISP or fuel flow), and making the burns too early.

edit:

3) No option to improve the charge rate of solar panels.

edit2:

started a new game without any mods and have the ability to improve the charge rate of solar panels. Problems 1 and 2 still persist.

log:

output_log.txt

On 6/5/2018 at 12:53 AM, mixmage said:

Is this mod just not working with 1.4.3 yet?  I have tried with a completely modless career (other than this one) and it just says on every part to chose a different part to improve.

So for KSP 1.4.3 it's playable but not working 100% as intended.

Edited by Nik kal

1 hour ago, Nik kal said:

The mod runs in 1.4.3 but i have noticed some problems.

1) Some parts get upgraded even in the ships which are in flight. (the version is not showing but i have seen change in the weight of the ship)

2) Problems with the burn times. Both remote tech flight computer and BBT don't acknowledge the upgraded thrust of engines ( upgraded ISP or fuel flow), and making the burns too early.

So for KSP 1.4.3 it's playable but not working 100% as intended.

Strange, I have had neither of these problems at all. So as for how well it works consider it YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 12:06 AM, Ericwi said:

@rx777 . I am running 1.4.4 and this mod with no issues. no TS or IFS.

Oh, really? So why CKAN says, it's not compatible? And... should I install this mod manually? I hope I can manage it, never installed any mod manually, I use CKAN only so far...

2 hours ago, rx777 said:

Oh, really? So why CKAN says, it's not compatible? And... should I install this mod manually? I hope I can manage it, never installed any mod manually, I use CKAN only so far...

NEVER count on CKAN to give accurate information about compatibility.

Manual install is an simply as copy and paste. You just copy the folder from the download, and past under GameData. Shouldn't have a problem with it. :)

• 3 weeks later...