[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

38 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Anyone by chance have a recompile for 1.1.3? It seems to have stopped working.

More specifically, it doesn't recognize any parts you click/pick up and just shows a blank screen.

It works just fine with 1.1.3, I have no issue. Maybe a conflict with other mod?

Have you checked your logs forexceptions?

13 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

It works just fine with 1.1.3, I have no issue. Maybe a conflict with other mod?

Have you checked your logs forexceptions?

Hmmm, interesting. I'll investigate. Thought this thread seemed too quiet if it didn't work....^_^

Thanks.

What about having part gain entirely new abilities as you develop them. Not unrealistic ones, or things like "lamps do not need electricity anymore" or anything, but things that make the part more complex but also more useful.

A few examples:

-At the beginning of the game the cockpit is unppressurized, you need to develop them to be able to safely go out of atmo.

-The ability to hold fuel in the big wings is absent at first, and also has to be developed.

-The thrust limiter in an SRB will be split up into a beginning and end thrust limiter, and will move linearly between the two as fuel is burnt.

Also, maybe the stats of fairing-shape can be incorporated.

Edited by nikokespprfan

@Warezcrawler (only tagging since you responded first)
@-MM-

Did a reinstall, and it still doesn't work. No errors in log at time of usage, but digging around, I managed to scare up some errors (and a minor typo:P). Typo "origional" should probably be "original".

Below is a a sampling of errors from kerbodyne plus, but there is a long list of pretty much every part I have. Not sure if the last error is relevant or if I deleted the part in game and it is referencing that.

160720T023138.104 [ERROR] [KRnD.KRnD.updatePart] [KRnD] updatePart(t404.hub): System.Exception: no origional-stats for part 't404.hub'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (.Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
160720T023138.104 [ERROR] [KRnD.KRnD.updatePart] [KRnD] updatePart(ba64): System.Exception: no origional-stats for part 'ba64'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (.Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
160720T023138.104 [ERROR] [KRnD.KRnD.updatePart] [KRnD] updatePart(extremeDockingPort): System.Exception: no origional-stats for part 'extremeDockingPort'
160720T023138.104 [ERROR] [KRnD.KRnD.updatePart] [KRnD] updatePart(extremeDockingPort.2m): System.Exception: no origional-stats for part 'extremeDockingPort.2m'
160720T023138.105 [ERROR] [KRnD.KRnD.updatePart] [KRnD] updatePart(extremeDockingPort.3m): System.Exception: no origional-stats for part 'extremeDockingPort.3m'
160720T023138.377 [ERROR] [SurfaceObject.ReturnToParent] [SurfaceObject]: Cannot return to original parent, it no longer exists.

23 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Any part that you change the size of using TS or change using IFS will not hold any upgrade provided by this mod.

Thanks for answering!

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

160720T023138.104 [ERROR] [KRnD.KRnD.updatePart] [KRnD] updatePart(t404.hub): System.Exception: no origional-stats for part 't404.hub'

Hello Deimos,

the message "no origoinal-stats for part '...'" (the typo will be fixed in the next release) is somewhat of a fail-safe. It means that the mod tries to upgrade a part which does not have the KRnD module installed. At the start of the game the mod creates a library of "original-stats" which are afterwards used as basis to calculated new stats of improved parts. Only parts with the KRnD module are added to this list. When the game is running and you are for example switching to a different vessel, all KRnD improvements are retrieved from the savegame and the mod tries to apply them.

In this case I would guess you have a savegame in which parts like the "t404.hub" have KRnD improvements but you (or the author of those parts) have changed the module manager config or part-settings in such a way that it does no longer install KRnD on that part (eg it had a battery and no longer does). If you start a new game I guess "t404.hub" will no longer be improvable, but the error-message will be gone as well.

47 minutes ago, -MM- said:

Hello Deimos,

the message "no origoinal-stats for part '...'" (the typo will be fixed in the next release) is somewhat of a fail-safe. It means that the mod tries to upgrade a part which does not have the KRnD module installed. At the start of the game the mod creates a library of "original-stats" which are afterwards used as basis to calculated new stats of improved parts. Only parts with the KRnD module are added to this list. When the game is running and you are for example switching to a different vessel, all KRnD improvements are retrieved from the savegame and the mod tries to apply them.

In this case I would guess you have a savegame in which parts like the "t404.hub" have KRnD improvements but you (or the author of those parts) have changed the module manager config or part-settings in such a way that it does no longer install KRnD on that part (eg it had a battery and no longer does). If you start a new game I guess "t404.hub" will no longer be improvable, but the error-message will be gone as well.

Thanks for the response.

A few things:

• I've made no improvements, ever. Still doesn't work. Still get same errors, with same parts, even with reloading game.
  • Start new game. Still doesn't work. Still get same errors, with same parts.
    • Note: These parts have the KRnD module, I checked ingame.
  • Put KRnD in a fresh install with just SQUAD and MM and...it works.

Conclusion: unknown mod conflict.

:(

not sure about exactly with that part, but in essence yes. Parts can be vastly improved but each level doubles (i believe) what it costs for the next level of improvement. i have some parts that I spent nearly to the 2,000 point for the next level area. This does work extremely well for spaceplanes / ssto, etc. :) Especially thinking beyond the engine. For example, high ISP and low weight engine, with low weight parts gives a much more overall efficient ship able to get more bang for the buck :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

3 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

as much as i love this idea to spend RnD points anywhere (i might get lost after unlocking the tech tree entirely without this mod idea)
 .. it still conflicts with KIS, sadly :(

Huh?? I use KIS with KR&D myself without any issues and have from the beginning. Your sadness you are experiencing is not a conflict between KR&D and KIS.

hmm, strange then .. i remember i had only KR&D as new mod installed, then all my orbital station got borked, inventory didnt got stacked (not properly shown etc) .. first i thaught its an KIS issue .. but right after i uninstalled KR&D everything went back just as it was .. weird

https://github.com/mmoench/KRnD/issues/3

https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/167

im not sure but .. well .. just reporting what im observing, no complains included! .. just trying to help improving

29c389c2-4f30-11e6-8934-d6cfe67235e4.png

the 12 con ports should show up stack as they do in the info window, as you see they don't

.. im using KSP 1.1.3 (latest KIS/KAS) .. maybe this mod isnt quite completely updated tho .. that could be the issue (if im reading the start post right)

Edited by LatiMacciato

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to leave a note saying how much I'm enjoying this mod :) 

My 3-man pod now weighs almost the same as the 2-man-can, my Sparks have an ISP of 330, my Oscars hold 20% more fuel, and my nervas weigh about half a ton less. Which sounds OP, but... it's getting expensive to go beyond this, and every time I come home with another 1000 science points, I have to think hard about whether to unlock a new node in Community Tech Tree, or improve my existing parts. Great way to soak up excess science points and let players give priority to the parts they personally use most :)

Firstly, absolutely storming idea!!!!! this will make my games last far longer!

Secondly I've had a read through and although I can see lots of pointers to get this fully compatible - I couldn't see any actual solutions so:

If you want to add stacking to the KIS parts make a .cfg file and add this to it:

@KISConfig[KisConfig]:FOR[KIS]
{

@StackableModule
	{
	moduleName = KRnDModule
	}

}

If you want to play with some procedural parts or tweakable stuff then, although this is probably overkill you will need to change the first line of the .cfg in KRnD to this which will cover as many of the tweaking modules as I could find:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[TweakScale],!MODULE[ProceduralPart],!MODULE[WingProcedural],!MODULE[PartSubtypeSwitcherModule],!MODULE[WingManipulator]]

Please note that Tweakable Everything tweaks almost everything so there's no point including it - just don't try.

If you want to use a mod that usually packages Tweakscale but you don't want to use Tweakscale (KSPIE is a good example where one could easily get most of the joy with none of the sorrow) then you'll need to remove the mod files and add a config to strip out the references like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[MODULE[Tweakscale]]:NEEDS[!TweakScale]:BEFORE[KRnd]
{
  !MODULE[Tweakscale]
}

And that's what I have done in order to play the game with my mod set. I use almost entirely USI mods for parts so Tweakscale is irrelevant however I did find that there where a couple of sneaky redundant instances kicking about in other mods I had installed. The thing is he uses the FSFuelswitch so I needed a way to ignore that and whilst I was at it decided to give a little back and so here we are... Also I am no pro at Module patches so if you know how better to do all this, I am more than happy to accept any helps offered :)

I hope someone finds it helpful and more to the point if you -MM- are of a mind to bash these into your own configs for release please be my guest!

On 16.8.2016 at 11:03 AM, eddiew said:

Just wanted to leave a note saying how much I'm enjoying this mod :)
(...)

Thanks, always nice to hear that people like it.

On 17.8.2016 at 2:10 PM, Jahulath said:

If you want to play with some procedural parts or tweakable stuff then, although this is probably overkill you will need to change the first line of the .cfg in KRnD to this which will cover as many of the tweaking modules as I could find:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[TweakScale],!MODULE[ProceduralPart],!MODULE[WingProcedural],!MODULE[PartSubtypeSwitcherModule],!MODULE[WingManipulator]]

I've tried using Jahulath's proposed solution, which looks quite reasonable, but in my setup of the game KRnD was loading before InterstellarFuelSwitch, which meant that the Module-Manager rule above didn't work. We could probably tell Module-Manager to load KRnD-Patches after all the other conflicting mods, but this seems a little bit too complicated to me. To solve this problem I've added a new config-file "blacklist.cfg", which contains all conflicting modules Jahulath has reported (thanks for that). During the startup Module-Manager does his thing as always, installing KRnD side by side with TweakScale and alike on the same parts. But after that the KRnD logic is only used on parts which don't also contain any blacklisted modules (the ones left out are reported in the debug-log). Not as elegant as the Module-Manager solution, but it is guaranteed to work.

So far I've successfully tested the new function with InterstellarFuelSwitch, but the other mods should work now as well (by working I mean not to offer KRnD-functionality on incompatible parts). The new release version is 1.9, which you can find on the first page of this thread (compiled against KSP 1.1.3).

If someone finds any new problems, please let me know.

TY for your efford including a great feature into KSP!

but I'm still having the same issue with my game(with your latest update) .. unsure what exactly causing it, but still once i removed KRnD it goes back to where it was before, really wish to add and use plus enjoy this mod, i can imagine doing something useful with science points :)

Edited by LatiMacciato

31 minutes ago, -MM- said:

...So far I've successfully tested the new function with InterstellarFuelSwitch, but the other mods should work now as well (by working I mean not to offer KRnD-functionality on incompatible parts). The new release version is 1.9, which you can find on the first page of this thread (compiled against KSP 1.1.3).

If someone finds any new problems, please let me know.

I think the link from first post point to old 1.8

Thanks for this mod.

Good call, :) glad I could give something back. I am effing loving this mod, especially with how it is integrating and running so perfectly with everything else I have installed!

@LatiMacciato did you try the KIS patch I suggested? 1.9 here doesn't attend to the KIS issue but that should sort it out for you. If the save has already borked and you have no backup then you may have to go and manually resort/stack your inventory - have you tried creating a new ship and stacking stuff in that with the KIS patch installed?

Thanks again -MM- good flipping mod.

the resorting isnt borking me at all, just the none stacking .. i will try that patch (shall i attempt using v1.9?)

just to keep things easy and sorted right, i make a new cfg "KISpatch.cfg" file and put that

@KISConfig[KisConfig]:FOR[KIS]
{

@StackableModule
	{
	moduleName = KRnDModule
	}

}

inside, but wich folder i need to store that? in KRnD?

EDIT: I've added a cfg file including above code to KRnD folder, after i manually installed from github repo (v 1.9)

KRnD_issuef49c.png

the log shows the file is loading as it should? (at least gives no errors etc)

[LOG 02:20:20.165] Config(@KISConfig[KisConfig]:FOR[KIS]) KRnD/KISpatch/@KISConfig[KisConfig]:FOR[KIS]
[LOG 02:20:20.165] Config(@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule]]) KRnD/parts/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule]]

.. will try sandbox(new career savegame, not actual sandbox :D) now

@Jahulath

this doesnt fix it, seems im not doing it right or its not working ... in VAB its the same too :P

Edited by LatiMacciato

Is there no way to get it to play nicely with TweakScale, then? Would be pretty neat to be able to have both. Currently adding KRnD to a part with TweakScale, even if you don't research an improvement, will cause values for the part to revert to normal on scene changes, as I am sure people know. =(

8 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

@Jahulath

this doesnt fix it, seems im not doing it right or its not working ... in VAB its the same too :P

Well your screen shot shows you stacking like a boss... The only other thing I can suggest is that you delete the file you created and go to the files for KIS and find one called "settings.cgf" it sits in "GameData\KIS".

Open that file with notepad and in there you will see a few entries, you are looking for the one node that says "StackableModule" with a load of entries that look like "moduleName = ModuleLight" and similar stuff...

The patch I wrote is designed to just add a line to this file, in that section - you could do so manually so just add to there a line that says "moduleName = KRnDModule"

Sorry but I don't think I can be more helpful than that - Good Luck!

7 hours ago, Jahulath said:

Well your screen shot shows you stacking like a boss... The only other thing I can suggest is that you delete the file you created and go to the files for KIS and find one called "settings.cgf" it sits in "GameData\KIS".

Open that file with notepad and in there you will see a few entries, you are looking for the one node that says "StackableModule" with a load of entries that look like "moduleName = ModuleLight" and similar stuff...

The patch I wrote is designed to just add a line to this file, in that section - you could do so manually so just add to there a line that says "moduleName = KRnDModule"

Sorry but I don't think I can be more helpful than that - Good Luck!

np, ty for your help, really appreciate the efford. I will try that out when i get the chance.

in the screen i provided, you might also see the EL survey stick does stack and show up in the first inventory window (small "2x" indicators), the con ports arent .. well yes .. im stacking like a boss as you mentioned, reason is .. i sometimes have con ports exploding when dropen on the ground (mostly i forget to hit the B key for lifting twice) .. so yes con ports are some common usables for KIS :)

Edited by LatiMacciato