[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

Adding this to the blacklist seemed to fix the issue for me:

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = FSplanePropellerSpinner

However, I am far from certain that is actually the guilty module. It was just an easy one that was common in all of the engines I had a problem with.

It may be that the problem is with the module "ModuleResourceIntake" when being used with IntakeATM.

I have so many mods that load times are too painful, or I would do more testing.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to select this on CKAN causes an error:

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.ModuleNotFoundKraken: Cannot install AdditionalProgressionContracts, module not available
   at CKAN.CkanModule.FromIDandVersion(IRegistryQuerier registry, String mod, KspVersionCriteria ksp_version)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.<RelationshipResolver>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String name)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor(IEnumerable`1 module_names, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IRegistryQuerier registry, KspVersionCriteria kspversion)
   at CKAN.MainModList.ComputeConflictsFromModList(IRegistryQuerier registry, IEnumerable`1 change_set, KspVersionCriteria ksp_version)
   at CKAN.Main.<UpdateChangeSetAndConflicts>c__async1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CKAN.Main.<ModList_CellValueChanged>c__async0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

Looks like it's trying to find a mod called AdditionalProgressionContracts, which while it's in the CKAN database, isn't available for 1.2.2. Is this a requirement for the mod, or just a recommendation? In any case, probably worth either updating your CKAN entry, or alternatively, I've posted in the Additional Progression Contracts thread asking them to update theirs.

• 3 weeks later...

Could I request that when KR&D is not able to modify a part (window just stays blank) it writes something to the log to say why not, please? Would be really helpful with working out what it doesn't like... :)

On 1/30/2017 at 1:31 PM, Remi said:

Adding this to the blacklist seemed to fix the issue for me:

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = FSplanePropellerSpinner

However, I am far from certain that is actually the guilty module. It was just an easy one that was common in all of the engines I had a problem with.

It may be that the problem is with the module "ModuleResourceIntake" when being used with IntakeATM.

I have so many mods that load times are too painful, or I would do more testing.

I too am having this problem, where none of the Karbonite engines which use IntakeAtm will work. I've been playing around with blacklisting different modules, but no dice so far. And unfortunately the old Karbonite thread was a casualty earlier this year.

Hello, I've just uploaded a minor update which adds the ability to upgrade the efficiency of Nuclear Fission Generators (see the "Near Future Electrical" mod) with the existing generator-efficiency upgrade-option. Not really life changing stuff, but this was something I was missing while building my latest nuclear-powered spaceship ;-)

On 10.2.2017 at 11:03 PM, Rohaq said:

Trying to select this on CKAN causes an error:

(...)

Looks like it's trying to find a mod called AdditionalProgressionContracts, which while it's in the CKAN database, isn't available for 1.2.2. Is this a requirement for the mod, or just a recommendation? In any case, probably worth either updating your CKAN entry, or alternatively, I've posted in the Additional Progression Contracts thread asking them to update theirs.

Hm, I don't think this is a KRnD problem. This mod's netkan-file doesn't reference any contract-mods.

On 26.2.2017 at 11:37 PM, eddiew said:

Could I request that when KR&D is not able to modify a part (window just stays blank) it writes something to the log to say why not, please? Would be really helpful with working out what it doesn't like... :)

When you've selected a part in the editor and the little KRnD-Window tells you to "Select a different part to improve", this basically means that the given part either is blacklisted or does not have the KRnDModule installed. The latter issue would be some problem with ModuleManager which I have no control over. You could check the part in question against the blacklist though. I could probably log messages about blacklisted parts, but I can't do nuttin about possible ModuleManager-Issues.

On 27.2.2017 at 7:40 PM, RB101 said:

Does improving the ISP of a jet engine improve it's atmospheric curve, allowing it to operate at higher altitudes?

You can improve the vacuum and atmospheric ISP of any type of engine. But all that does is it will increase its fuel-efficiency under those conditions (and slightly raise its maximum thrust as well). The main problem with air-breathing engines however will be the intake-air. While you will be able to fly more fuel efficient in higher altitudes, the lack of air will still kill your engine.

21 hours ago, Lennartos said:

I just went through the bug list - didn't anyone report the issues with tech upgrade not working as intended - or are these already closed for next update?

I assume you mean the new function which allows some parts (mostly engines) to get better when certain tech-nodes are researched? This function is not supported by KRnD yet. If it works better than it currently does in a future KSP-release (there was a little discussion about this some pages back), there might be a release of KRnD in the future which uses that system. But for now it is ignored, just like any other mod that tinkers with the part's stats while in-game.

18 minutes ago, -MM- said:

Hello, I've just uploaded a minor update which adds the ability to upgrade the efficiency of Nuclear Fission Generators (see the "Near Future Electrical" mod) with the existing generator-efficiency upgrade-option. Not really life changing stuff, but this was something I was missing while building my latest nuclear-powered spaceship ;-)

When you've selected a part in the editor and the little KRnD-Window tells you to "Select a different part to improve", this basically means that the given part either is blacklisted or does not have the KRnDModule installed. The latter issue would be some problem with ModuleManager which I have no control over. You could check the part in question against the blacklist though. I could probably log messages about blacklisted parts, but I can't do nuttin about possible ModuleManager-Issues.

My particular issue turned out to be having Tweakscale. Previous versions I knew that KR&D upgrades wouldn't be applied to scaled parts, but now it seems to be a total exclusive lock out? I do understand why they can't work together at the same time, but tbh I preferred the behaviour from the 1.1.3 days ^^;

As for reactors, great news! I was debating trying to hack this feature in myself, so thank you :)

I've noticed that changing the cost and improvement scaling does not work as I expected.

The improvement scale is delayed by 1 level (e.g. with improvement set to 0.1 improvementScale set to 1.2, the upgrades are +10%, +20%, +32%, etc.), while the cost scale adds the new science cost, rather than set it, and is also delayed by 1 level (e.g. with scienceCost set to 100 and costScale set to 5, the prices are 100, 200, 700 etc.).

This can be fixed by removing the offset in i, and using = rather than += for the cost, as shown below.

465                else factor += baseImprovement * (float)Math.Pow(improvementScale, i);
478                else cost = baseCost * (float) Math.Pow(costScale, i);

This will not change anything with the default configs, instead making custom settings work as one might expect.

I wanted to share that @JadeOfMaar suggested that installing the IntakeAtm config from the Mk2 Expansion mod might solve my problem with Karbonite and Kerbal R&D not playing nicely.  I'm happy to report that it works!  Many kudos!

Edited by Norcalplanner
Edited for correct attribution

11 hours ago, -MM- said:

I assume you mean the new function which allows some parts (mostly engines) to get better when certain tech-nodes are researched? This function is not supported by KRnD yet. If it works better than it currently does in a future KSP-release (there was a little discussion about this some pages back), there might be a release of KRnD in the future which uses that system. But for now it is ignored, just like any other mod that tinkers with the part's stats while in-game.

That's exactly what i mean, if no one reports to squad that the system isn't working as intended - it wont be improved in any release.

@-MM- - Been wondering if maybe it would be worth handling generators like batteries? E.g. the config has...

batteryCharge_costScaleReference = 500    // the base science cost scales with the original capacity, in this case 10 science for 500 charge-units

...but generators don't have any such line, so when you improve a 2000ec/s generator, you get 200ec/s for a tiny cost. Was fine and fair with RTGs since they're such small outputs anyway, but maybe generators deserve their own costScaleReference now? :) 

On 2/28/2017 at 3:53 PM, -MM- said:

You can improve the vacuum and atmospheric ISP of any type of engine. But all that does is it will increase its fuel-efficiency under those conditions (and slightly raise its maximum thrust as well). The main problem with air-breathing engines however will be the intake-air. While you will be able to fly more fuel efficient in higher altitudes, the lack of air will still kill your engine.

Having the ability to apply upgrades to intakes would be a huge benefit for this and giving more design flexibility :)

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha!

I've been running this for a few months now (since 1.0.4 I think....?). I recently updated to 1.2.2, and updated KRnD along with it.

I have a bunch of mods, and I understand KRnD has a blacklist for IFS and any TweakScaled parts (I have both IFS and TS installed).

However, my understanding is that KRnD should still be able to upgrade stock parts that haven't been TweakScaled, and parts from other mods.

Unfortunately, KRnD doesn't seem to be able to upgrade any part in my installation (I can open the window in the VAB fine, but when I select a part, nothing appears in the window). This is rather frustrating, as I used to be able to upgrade the SpaceX SuperDraco engines from the Kerbal Reusability Expansion using KRnD, but now I can't.

Is KRnD no longer compatible when other mods are installed - as it used to be?

Thanks. :)

Using it and works great, you have something conflicting that is causing it to not work for you.

Double check to make sure you removed the default settings for TS and IFS that add themselves to nearly every part, as that would cause the result you're experiencing. Otherwise there is another mod in there causing unhappy things to happen.

42 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

Using it and works great, you have something conflicting that is causing it to not work for you.

Double check to make sure you removed the default settings for TS and IFS that add themselves to nearly every part, as that would cause the result you're experiencing. Otherwise there is another mod in there causing unhappy things to happen.

Ah right. Sorry, but how do you change those settings for TS/IFS? I wasn't aware of any changes being needed, so that's probably the cause of my issues. :)

...and would doing so render TS and IFS useless themselves? These both used to work in the older version I was playing until recently... :/ 

Edited by DavidHunter

in each under either Parts or Patches will have cfg files that inject each mods support into nearly every stock part and some others that are official supported by each. Deleting these will have them only apply to those mods that call for them in those particular modes.

On 11/1/2016 at 10:39 PM, Kielm said:

Thought I'd share what I've been working on for the past few days. Those that use Interstellar Fuel Switch may be particularly interested...

Hide contents

xlZ3bJ2.jpg

sySDsW9.jpg

It's not 100% there yet, but progress is definitely being made. I've sent some info over to -MM-, but it will probably need further integration help from FreeThinker to work properly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this never got finished or merged into the main branch?

• 3 weeks later...